Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I bet a welder could build it back up and then it could be machined perfect again.

How much that would cost is a very different question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
yes, the bearing slots are all hollowed out on the old one, and I'm pretty sure its both sides, but I only have one off to determine that - I got 2 "new to me" drums with hubs that are in better shape, but very dirty and in need of a de-rusting and turning.

You can separate the hub from the drum, they are riveted together from the factory, but I've seen people separate the two then use bolts to hold them together - however you don't need to because the lug bolts go thru the drum itself in to the hub.

and yes, I considered repairing my hub by welding and remaching but there are almost no auto themed machine shops left that would consider taking this job over a cylinder head rebuild on a honda. I did find a specialty place that did it, but holy gently caress are they pricy, they are plenty busy doing work for leno and other big players in the socal high end classic world.

theoretically I could separate everything up, use my old drum and one of the new hubs, but these are apparently balanced - not a big deal to just rebalance the wheel with the drum on it, but it takes a lot to tell a minimum wage tire tech to "pull this archaic wheel off with the drum and hub assembly and balance the entire entire thing" - not talking down to tire techs but I doubt I'd be able to pull in to just any tire shop and accomplish what I need.

this goes back to my previous comments about the amazing shop that went out of business that was basically a one stop shop for stuff like this, you could take them rusty poo poo like this, then they would clean/bead blast it, paint them, press bearings and turn the drums - and while you were at it get your shoes re-lined and arc'd correctly to fit your freshly turned drums, and they'd balance them! what used to be a one stop shop is now like 3 processes, and with those 3 processes, your outcome is less fruitful than the single process because yo still have to now find a place to re-line these shoes that havent been made for 40 years.

I just had a hour long conversation with a young guy in his 20s that runs a custom shop about fixing up a customers 53 buick - coming from ordering chevy parts from a catalog, it was a shock to him that you had to go to some of these lengths to keep these cars on the road.

buick life.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 2, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I can't get a good close-up of your image of the '42 drums, but that rust on them appears recent - very light orange & not deeply sunk into the metal - and may clean up with steel wool & WD-40. I can't tell how grooved the facings are but there is a ton of meat on those drums. Actually look almost unused - but perhaps the design called for really thick castings?

If the shoes were freely available I'd be tempted to mount & run the drums, that'll de-rust 'em quick but possibly at the expense of the shoes.

LobsterboyX posted:

I just had a hour long conversation with a young guy in his 20s that runs a custom shop about fixing up a customers 53 buick - coming from ordering chevy parts from a catalog, it was a shock to him that you had to go to some of these lengths to keep these cars on the road.

Was that the shop that Mrs. LBX posted about? the former Buick dealer?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
re: finding the right balance.
Reach out to Centramatic. They make a dynamic balancer that slips on between the hub/drum and the wheel. The balancer begins working at around 30-35mph. They're pretty easy to conceal too.
They may have something in the catalog that'll fit your bolt pattern. Pretty sure they can make something custom for your application.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Can you combine the gator skin and the cannon into one great project?

BTW I still haven't actually been to this place, but San Fernando Brewing does a Records & Rides events with old cards every so often. I don't think it's even monthly though.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Can you combine the gator skin and the cannon into one great project?

"We fired our cannon 'till the barrel melted down
Then we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round..."

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

boxen posted:

I love me some Johnny Horton

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

boxen posted:

Man, I hadn't heard or thought about that one in like a decade or two.
Thanks, really. I'd forgotten.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
every day...

Anyway, this weekend was less than productive and I had to work so I didn't get much done.

I cruised out on friday:

stopped in and grabbed some meat...

came back and decided to use the tractor to pull a stump..

long story short, it didn't work - I kept getting visions of that strap breaking and a hook imbedding itself in my head

I did a bit of work on the 48 and now thats back on the road

brought the wagon in for some maintenance and discovered this

hm. If you recall, I rebuilt this pump myself a few months back, well, I guess I botched that one, its leaking, whining and looks like I may have over-torqued that pulley nut. - I'm going to pull it, and send it off to be properly rebuilt, which is what I should have done in the first place. I read the full procedure and I'm thinking theres a bit more ware on some parts in this thing than my baseline mechanical knowledge could handle, so I'm going to let the pros take a crack, while its back here I'm going to be doing brake shoes/drums, and intake manifold paint and detail.

in other news, my wife and I embarked on the dreaded dining room remodel, stripped the walpaper and procured this awesome dinette

The absolute coolest thing about this set is that it's not a reproduction, its brand new. How? Well this company ACME (not a joke) has been making these sets... since the mid 30s. They have never gone out of production, this set was designed in 1939, just a year after my home was built. I opted for the cracked ice top, which while less than traditional, thrills me to no end.

Also thinking about a new paint scheme for the roadster...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Holy crap, that dinette set is amazing! I have two tables in good condition...but have 4-chairs that need to be re-upholstered/recovered in vinyl. I was looking for bolts of cracked-ice vinyl. I have the piping...but cracked-ice seems to be no more, and the vinyl I can locate (at Micheal's or Jo Ann Fabrics) is boooooring.

My wife would plotz over those chairs. Where, exactly, is this ACME? I get way too many hits....

British Columbia?

e: man, they make it impossible...

VVV I deny it not

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 18, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Painter of rap searching for them table and chairs like:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Holy crap, that dinette set is amazing! I have two tables in good condition...but have 4-chairs that need to be re-upholstered/recovered in vinyl. I was looking for bolts of cracked-ice vinyl. I have the piping...but cracked-ice seems to be no more, and the vinyl I can locate (at Micheal's or Jo Ann Fabrics) is boooooring.

My wife would plotz over those chairs. Where, exactly, is this ACME? I get way too many hits....

British Columbia?

VVV I deny it not

yes BC - get yours here: https://www.anmarcos.com/cool-retro-dinettes.html

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

That's cool as hell. I'm from Vancouver Island but never knew they existed.

There's a lot of cool stuff there, though, like a guy who is sent Mercedes gullwings from all over the world for restoration, or another guy who is the only person 'allowed' to do bodywork on John Lennons' psychedelic Rolls Royce.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
does this make me famous?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd fuckin count it.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

British Columbia?

VVV I deny it not

Looks like you can get it boston too
http://www.sozio.com/index.html

From here, with more photos:
https://retrorenovation.com/2016/01/18/acme-chrome-dinettes-vintage-style-buy-today/

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Interesting, I wonder if its an east coast/west coast distributor deal. Originally I tried to contact ACME directly and was referred the Canada shop by them. I couldn't be happier with the set a month in. My father in law and I went ham on it and removed all the wallpaper in our dining room, but neither of us want to paint it, I'm waiting on a house painter friend of mine to come thru.

in other news:

I haven't really had much time for anything, I've been working myself to the bone, but the finish line is in sight. I'm looking forward to doing more hoodrat stuff with my friends aka car stuff.

I want to start work on the 42 again.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

This Mrs. LBX' photo? Just great.

Try not to work too hard. Between the deja-vu of returning to a known job and the natural drive to excel, along with the insanity inherent in certain large-group projects, it's easy to get burned out. Good luck, and be careful.

Thoughts of restoration put me in my happy place.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
been a bit busy..

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Good luck this weekend dude!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Found this today in Adamstown PA for $10.

Cover's coming off, but it;s all there.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I hit an interesting estate sale. Went to buy a lovely hassock fan a guy had listed on FB marketplace to restore.

Got there and the guy asked what I came to buy. I said the green fan. I asked what else he had for sale. He said anything you see in the 2 barns and the house.

Turned out the previous owner had passed away and the family didn't want to bother cleaning out anything and sold the place contents included.

Guy said he bought the property for the 20 acres of farmland out back and wanted to split off the house and barns and sell them and he was just trying to sell everything off to make 6 months of mortgage payments on the place and clear it out so he could make more selling the house.

From what I could tell the family only took or sold the guys record collection, stereo, and guns.

There was an entire machine shop in the barn giant lathes, a forge, every tool you could imagine.

I found all kinds of stuff but a few items fit in with this thread.

There was tools everywhere and I know nothing about machining but I saw a box that said Starrett.

I threw it on my pile.

I saw a depth gauge in a wood box.

Also went into my pile

I saw a box that said spring winder.

Into the pile

Entire folding table piled with tools, knife sharpeners and sandpaper/circular blades.

Said gimme $10.

I went back a few times and kept finding all kinds of stuff.

Each time I looked at a huge assortment of photography/darkroom/camera stuff.

I asked him if anyone had made an offer on it. He said someone bought the 2 Olympus OM2 cameras but nobody wanted the rest of the junk.

Gimme $5 but you have to take it all.

Welp.. I knew the enlargers and all of the camera stuff was worth taking but there were 2 crappy old studio flashes that I figured were pretty worthless but I made the deal so I loaded them up.

Finally got around to looking a bit closer. Neither were photography related at all.

The one in the case was actually an antique UV/Ozone therapy light with the original goggles.

I was going to turn it into a lamp but it seems like they are pretty collectible so I'll probably throw it on ebay.

The second light had a spiral bulb and was on a super heavy metal base and had to weigh at least 75lbs. I assumed it had guards to protect the flash bulb.

Looked a bit closer and noticed how thick the cord was and how beefy the connector was.

What the ....

It's actually an old crouse hinds explosion proof industrial lamp.

Opened it up and put in a led Edison bulb and plugged it in as a floor lamp.

I will need to strip and paint the base as the original coating is flaking pretty bad but it's a pretty awesome industrial floor lamp.

Looking at ebay it seems like it must be worth a small fortune based on how much just basic explosion proof single bulb fixtures are selling for. I'm glad I took all the photo junk for my $5.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good lord, my wife & I fantasize about finding a house/estate sale like that. Around here (Phila/NJ) everyone calls a house cleanout company or at least an estate auction house. Where (generally) was this?

I have one of those explosion-proof lamp units (no stand), just haven't figured out where to put it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you ever decided to part with that Starrett machinist level.... I may have to find something cool to trade for it :p

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
went to check out this barn find...

actually it wasn't, this little model T belongs to a friend of mine, it was his in the 80s, and now he's restoring it for his 2 year old. It's actually pretty cool, it has a little briggs in it with a slipper clutch that runs on 3 little fan belts.

I got my 48 really going well, I took it to see a buddy at a tire shop, a big national chain one - they did something odd, they had to check the DOT codes on the tires, if they are over 10 years old, they wont touch them... soooo they are over 10 years old. so needless to say, I'm in the market for new tires.

But in the meantime I took it to a mom and pop shop and they balanced them up good for me. - man... what a difference. death wobble is all but gone - the rest of the vibrations are from these old flat spotted tires.

I found the source of the massive hole in the firewall that blasted me with hot air, the steering column seals were completely rotted. Went to go order the new stuff and.... they dont make them. so I temporarily fixed it with some extra dynamat I had laying around. its not a graceful fix, and one day I hope I can get the right parts to fix it, because its rather unsightly.

so now that the car is driving great.. I took it up on the highway, and lost a hubcap - so now that marks 2 hubcaps I've lost in the first 2 months of the year, I'm not liking these numbers, I'm running 1952 Roadmaster only hubcaps and thankfully there is usually some nice ones available on ebay. They are a very specific, one year only, one trim level only cap, so people know what they are, the popularity of that car is not really there, so these can usually be had for 15-30 bucks each. I found a rather nice set of 2 for 50 bucks, and grabbed them up. I also finally broke down and bought a hubcap tool..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P6WRFK/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A3PQOAC86X626G&psc=1

I've wanted one of these forever, and while there's nothing really special about it, and the same thing can be done with other tools, I feel I'm at a point in my life where this thing will benefit me.

Took a cruise with da bois on friday night, hung out at the airport and got blasted by choppers coming in late

the next day, I took some time to try and sync up these carbs

its such a fine line, and the car runs great even if they arent sunk(sp) up, I'm just trying to get a bit more oomph out of it. I think the bigger issue is this jank-city carb linkage I cooked up from one of those universal kits. during this tuning session I also took the time to torque up the manifold bolts as well as just about everyhting else, these I8's are smooth, but they do tend to knock stuff loose.

Then it was time for a tattoo session

the tattoo artist is a friend of mine, and owns the yellow chopped chevy I've pictured here before.

The week before that I had a very airplane weekend.

we started off taking the kiddo to go check out the airport my neighbor keeps his plane at, there are some very interesting things there..

This plane has been sitting neglected for a long time, but many years ago this would come to the local airshow and give rides, of which I took with my grandfather as a kid. It stirred up some big time memories for me - and the fact that its now kinda derelict bugs me even more.

I was also able to stop in and say hi to this old bird during the week.

this thing lives at the santa monica airport, which is where the original Douglas plant used to live. There is a super fun museum that we've taken lobsterkidx to a few times.

The 48 is going to the interior shop in a few weeks here and now is my time to maybe dive in to this sucker again -

I think I have a pretty cohesive plan for how to attack it. I'm going to start with just the nose of it, and work back, so instead of worrying about how I'm going to fix the floors, interior, ect, I'm going to focus on the nose and the nose only until its complete, then treat each section like that, so dashboard, trim pieces, gauges, floors, wheel... and just start from one end and work back.

Ok. Vintage Tech time... Do you have a citrus tree in your back yard? dont we all? well let me tell you how I pick the delicious fruit from the high branches.

are you sick of cutting them with a pole cutter only to have them fall and split open, YUCK, well I'm here to tell you with some items you have around the house, you can pick em like a pro

first find a nice can and make a small v-cut in it like so:

next screw that can to a broom stick or other long rigid thing

make sure the V-cut is facing forward

and magically.. you have...

so you can...

so, when I was a kid, my grandfather had a contraption like this that he whipped up, every year when we'd harvest I'd love to use this thing, its so loving simple and elegant and works so perfectly - The original one he had is long gone, and I was just going for the style points with using this vintage can and weathered broomstick, but the one he had was nearly identical.

In other news, race season is coming up quick...

I'm hoping this old bucket will behave this year.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Always love your updates here and on IG

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

my turn in the barrel posted:

Opened it up and put in a led Edison bulb and plugged it in as a floor lamp.

I will need to strip and paint the base as the original coating is flaking pretty bad but it's a pretty awesome industrial floor lamp.

Looking at ebay it seems like it must be worth a small fortune based on how much just basic explosion proof single bulb fixtures are selling for. I'm glad I took all the photo junk for my $5.

That LED bulb isn't going to last long at all in there, if you didn't know. LEDs hate enclosed fixtures (heat builds up and kills them). An incandescent is best for that fixture; barring that, a CFL.

Nice finds man.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

STR posted:

That LED bulb isn't going to last long at all in there, if you didn't know. LEDs hate enclosed fixtures (heat builds up and kills them). An incandescent is best for that fixture; barring that, a CFL.

Nice finds man.

That is a good point and worth mentioning.

In this case I'm not concerned because the bulb was in an immaculate NOS vintage cordomatic trouble light I found at the restore for $5 and put in my garage. No pic handy so here is an ebay screenshot.

I assume they threw it in to test the light? I swapped in a regular led bulb since an edison led is a terrible rough service bulb.

I always use bulb grease so between the edison led appearing to not have any drivers or heatsinks I figured that any heat would just conduct out the socket to the 30lbs of solid aluminum of the explosionproof lamp head.

But your comment made me double check and according to the product page at Home depot the Feit 60w led edison lamps are enclosed fixture rated.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-El...DRP-4/313397500

It seems like the Led bulb manufacturers are transitioning everything to dimmable enclosed fixture rated as LED tech advances and prices drop.

I'm kind of curious if the actual LED bars in the bulb are somehow wired to take 120v ac directly without an additional step-down transformer since that's where most of the heat would be generated.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I'm kind of curious if the actual LED bars in the bulb are somehow wired to take 120v ac directly without an additional step-down transformer since that's where most of the heat would be generated.

probably not, since leds are happiest when driven with a constant current source

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

STR posted:

Not necessarily, the newer ubiquitous chip packages can still have a decent lm80 lifetime even up to like 90C continuous operation. A bigger factor for bulbs is how crappy the power conversion is and if they're really pushing the LED drive current.

Edit: ^^^^ yeah, LEDs are diodes, so no ac since current can only flow one way through them

Rectal Placenta fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 5, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rectal Placenta posted:

Edit: ^^^^ yeah, LEDs are diodes, so no ac since current can only flow one way through them

you can drive them from just straight up wall AC, but they look like poo poo. string a bunch in series until you have a larger voltage drop and limit the current with a resistor. but it will be running at less than 50% duty cycle, because it basically just forms a crude half-wave rectifier. cheap christmas lights do this

i cant stand it when the christmas lights do it, so i cant imagine how horrible it would be to have actual home illumination set up that way. you could do it, but it would be awful

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Christ, those cheap holiday LEDs make my eyeballs jiggle.

I did a loss at a house in the boonies of Cumberland County NJ that was some kid of experimental test-bed sponsored by Atlantic Electric, built in the late '70s, likely in response to the 2nd oil embargo.

It had AC current for the receptacles and for this weird drywall that had this wire weave embedded in it as a heating element - the house was heated by heating the walls(!). Good luck hanging pictures!

The lights, however, were all on a 12VDC circuit. All of the fixtures had to use 12V RV lightbulbs.

I could see bringing that type of thing back for LEDs.

VVV yeah, those look like the weirdo wall switches they had. Super sketchy & flimsy.

As for power: we have the Salem nuclear reactor! Yes! Drive through the serene countryside towards the coast and poo poo yourself because it's siren test time! How fast can you tune to a radio station in case there's an EBS message?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 6, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That sounds extremely expensive to heat.

Let me guess, it had something like this controlling the lights too? Normally used on line voltage stuff, but I know it was still installed into the 70s.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

That is a good point and worth mentioning.

In this case I'm not concerned because the bulb was in an immaculate NOS vintage cordomatic trouble light I found at the restore for $5 and put in my garage. No pic handy so here is an ebay screenshot.

I assume they threw it in to test the light? I swapped in a regular led bulb since an edison led is a terrible rough service bulb.

I always use bulb grease so between the edison led appearing to not have any drivers or heatsinks I figured that any heat would just conduct out the socket to the 30lbs of solid aluminum of the explosionproof lamp head.

But your comment made me double check and according to the product page at Home depot the Feit 60w led edison lamps are enclosed fixture rated.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-El...DRP-4/313397500

It seems like the Led bulb manufacturers are transitioning everything to dimmable enclosed fixture rated as LED tech advances and prices drop.

I have the exact same Cord-O-Matic hanging in our barn. I really need to rebuild it after all these years. I think I bought it for $2 at a local swap meet ~15 years ago.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Mine was in absolutely perfect NOS condition except the rubber ball on the cord is partially eaten away like the rubber reacted with the metal lip it was snugged against in a box for decades.

Though iirc when I got it I think I found somewhere saying the company was producing them up until the 80s or 90s so mine might not actually be as old as the 1960s picnic basket blue contact paper makes it seem.

Edit pics:

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 9, 2022

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
so theres these:

LobsterboyX posted:

The saga continues, wu tang, wu tang -

well my suspicions were correct, these are property of an aerospace company that my grandfather worked for and they are 100% from the late 30s or 40s.

This is after cleaning off dust almost an 8th inch thick.

The wire nuts inside these things, as well as the actual bulb holders are ceramic, also note the starters.. I'm so scared of this things.

out of curiosity, I took down the other one for a cleaning and found this is what they retrofitted it with:

I found the exact model on the 'zon so I'm just going to grab the same one, then go grab some T8 warm white bulbs, new cords and a new pull chain switch local.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my grandfather daisychained these 2 lights together and the cord is totally petrified. I'm pretty sure I can do this nicely, but still sketch city.

and..

I've been spending every free minute I get messing with this thing..

https://i.imgur.com/wHgdHToh.mp4

Iit doesn't look any different in this pic and video, but I finally bought the reproduction body blocks - Ash wood blocks that isolate the body from the frame, before this, the car was mounted flat on the frame which is totally wrong - this whole thing started because I decided I wanted to put hoodsides back on it

here it is before I started, if you look closely, you can see with the hood on it, the car has a slight bow to it, as in the cowl is a slight bit lower than the top of the grill shell -

here it is now:

as you can see the alignment of the hood is still far from perfect, but its waaaaaaay better than it was

here's why

there are 8 of these blocks, 4 on either side, and they are all different for different parts of the car, theres support at the front, both front and back of the door, half way down the trunk and a big one at the very end of the frame.

they all slot in the sub rails and lift the car about half an inch to almost 2 inches off the frame.

the next part of it involved shimming the body to align correctly - The doors on roadsters are notorious for not closing easily, as you can see up close, my body is far from perfect, but its mostly complete and somewhat straight. So the drivers side took quite a few shims to get it to be where the doors fit and close better

the drivers rear was almost half an inch lower than the passenger side, I shimmed it up with some 8th inch shims and each one raised the car about quarter of an inch in the rear. so now the body sits right.

all in all the car gained about 2 inches of height after this operation.

because of that, the floor no longer fit - as in I couldn't get full travel of the gas pedal or the clutch, and the brake pedal rubbed the wooden floor board very unsafely.

so out it came

the black line was an idea that didn't come to light - My plan was to cut the wooden floor there and make a dropped pan that my feet would sit in, I feel like dropping my feet would make driving a bit more comfy - up top it made sense, but after further exploration underneath the car, it has to remain flat, or at least the areas I could accomplish this drop would be kinda worthless - so I made an aluminum plate to take up the space I created by moving the upper floorboard and put everything back together... didnt take pics

so all in all I did a lot of work to this car that no one but me will see or know about.

The other aspect of this is that the wood eats up some of the vibration, so in starting and driving the car, I noticed a huge difference in how the car felt, also now that the car is sitting level, it feels better too. They sell a set of urithane blocks, which I think are actually just thin UHMW pads that go under these to further dampen vibration - maybe later...

I think the next hurdle I want to cross is doing the T5 swap to get a better transmission in the drat thing, but I think thats going to have to wait until after race season in October or november.

Also, this little delinquent got caught red handed stealing his first hubcap..

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 11, 2022

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Can you drill the hubcaps somewhere subtle such that you can get a few silver cable ties through them to fix them to the wheel?
Yes you will have hubcaps with tiny holes in but this is better than being bent up and lost in a ditch..

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Tomarse posted:

but this is better than being bent up and lost in a ditch..

Or stolen by tiny juvenile delinquents.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Tomarse posted:

Can you drill the hubcaps somewhere subtle such that you can get a few silver cable ties through them to fix them to the wheel?
Yes you will have hubcaps with tiny holes in but this is better than being bent up and lost in a ditch..

So I could do this, or I could just actually mount these without the jankyness. these are 1952 Roadmaster only hubcaps, my wheels are 48, it would have had dog dish caps and trim rings, very boring look for the car.

To make these fit, I bent the clips (that hold the dog dish caps on) way in. they are spring steel, so that took some persuasion. I can drill out rivets and actually remove the clips as well. Some of them I bent better than others, and because of that, the caps can be a bit difficult to install.

Right now, really nice versions of these caps can be had for about 30-50 bucks each, sadly, the ones I had were about the best I've ever seen. so, now that I've lost the best, I dont really care - I'm just going to really bend the clips in, and secure them really good and hope for the best, if I find another NOS set like I had, I'll spring on them.

The only reason I havent done it, is taking the skirts off to have full access to the rear wheels is quite a production, and with all the ground crawling I've done on the roadster, my back hurts too much to care about hubcaps right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
This is the calm before the storm

the car is running so good.. something is going to go wrong.

I've been tinkering with the car nearly every night, I got it in my mind that I wanted to paint the windshield frame

I mean, chrome or nickel would be cool, but aintnobodygottimefordat

and scene:

also notice I got stainless hood hold downs on now... darn car is so much fun now, a bit quieter too.

So the next things I want to do to this car are bigger, now that I'm rolling with my new job, I'm feeling a bit more free with spending some cheese.. so now the priorities come in to play.

facebook brought to my attention that I've had this thing for 1 year now, and the amount of work I've done to it made me sad.. so I'm going to go a bit harder on it... SOON

I keep getting in to my stash of toys to give to my boy and found this masterpiece

MASK... I think things like this really shaped my taste in cars.

My wife took this amazing photo of the 48