Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If you buy an SUV gently caress you. I can forgive moving to the suburbs, I can forgive private school, I can forgive all that other stuff. But buying an SUV is a non-coerced individual choice with a better alternative. But it's made because when it comes down to it, they are a liberal and believe nothing.
Until in a few more years when they'll have finished discontinuing everything but SUV's and trucks (or, who knows, maybe they'll have literally made smaller cars illegal because they're unsafe in collisions with other SUV's and trucks).

But hey who will care if the smallest car you can get is a $50k mid-size SUV when all houses will cost $2 million and up and all roads will have been widened to double their current width

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ham Equity posted:

Reduction in births to families that already have two children is bad...?

That's an interesting take. I would also love to know how they arrived at that 57 figure.

JonathanFrakesWeMadeItUp.mp4

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Seattle, home of the Climate Pledge Arena, tore down a highway along the waterfront and spent $4 billion to replace it with a giant car tunnel under downtown. And then just also built a new high speed stroad along the waterfront. Lets loving go!!!!!

https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1500988759382233092?s=20

https://twitter.com/MikeLindblom/status/1500934489685385217?s=20

Nitevision has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Mar 8, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got an email saying my vet place hired a new vet that lives in New Richmond WI

imagine doing this even three days/week

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nitevision posted:

Seattle, home of the Climate Pledge Arena, tore down a highway along the waterfront and spent $4 billion to replace it with a giant car tunnel under downtown. And then just also built a new high speed stroad along the waterfront. Lets loving go!!!!!

I look forward to more places deciding to tear down highways only to say "hey looks like we have lots of space for a highway here" and rebuild it since the idea of not using all available space for cars is obviously ridiculous.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

I got an email saying my vet place hired a new vet that lives in New Richmond WI

I would but the very idea is making me really mad

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

They're going to do have to do a lot more commuting to unlock the supercommuter achievement.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mystes posted:

Until in a few more years when they'll have finished discontinuing everything but SUV's and trucks (or, who knows, maybe they'll have literally made smaller cars illegal because they're unsafe in collisions with other SUV's and trucks).

But hey who will care if the smallest car you can get is a $50k mid-size SUV when all houses will cost $2 million and up and all roads will have been widened to double their current width

Yea, it's almost impossible to get non-suvs now. But a few years ago that wasn't the case, and yet every person who owns an SUV chose that SUV. In a just world they'd be thrown into a gulag, but as of now I'll settle for a gas tax that will hit SUV owners the hardest, because they absolutely deserve it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In 15 years, all cars will have the wheelbase of trailer trucks to skirt yet to be passed fuel efficiency standards.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I just started reading The Grapes of Wrath and it's funny to think of people back then hacking apart their cars to turn them into trucks so they could move their stuff. Soon the megatrucks are gonna start shedding pieces to get more than 10 mpg. or likely, the megacab ones are just going to turn into the modern mini mobile home.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Nitevision posted:

They dug a 5 billion dollar tunnel that bypasses that whole area, the port wanted a redundant route and truckers hate paying tolls.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Magic Hate Ball posted:

he uses 2.5 gallons of gas every single day getting his daughter to and from school, which means the distance from his house to her school is something like 25-30 miles, which is insane

that's only like half an hour on the highway, modest commute

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I have a 40 mile commute

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nomad2020 posted:

They dug a 5 billion dollar tunnel that bypasses that whole area, the port wanted a redundant route and truckers hate paying tolls.

lmao. Building an expensive tunnel to replace a waterfront highway and open up the waterfront, then adding another highway in place of the previously removed highway is some real galaxy brain city planning.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao. Building an expensive tunnel to replace a waterfront highway and open up the waterfront, then adding another highway in place of the previously removed highway is some real galaxy brain city planning.
One of the previous mayors was super against it, but the powers that be just kept loving pushing it.

Mike McGinn was a huge bicycle advocate, and his biggest sin was being right about everything, so the CHUD city council (led by a piece of poo poo pig motherfucker) fought him on loving everything. Then, the Chamber of Commerce and said city council decided they'd rather work with a child molester, so that's who we got.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

zegermans posted:

I have a 40 mile commute

in a train tho

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

actionjackson posted:

in a train tho

I did long bus/train commutes for years and you know it's the best way to do it but if recent health scares have taught me anything it's that life is too loving short to spend hours of it a day in a vehicle, any vehicle.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nitevision posted:

lmao the elevated highway was preferable to this and at least the parts i was around were probably better for pedestrians than this poo poo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One way they should measure the pedestrian friendliness of a street is how easily you can hold a conversation with someone or talk on the phone without raising your voice or pausing for loud vehicles to pass. Or have a pleasant meal at a sidewalk table. I don't think that Seattle street would do well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
seattle's waterfront has always been garbage and now it will continue to be garbage. pride in tradition!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Putting a road by the water is the biggest waste of the highest value real estate in a city, and it baffles me that it has happened in multiple major us cities

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

leftist heap posted:

i love "it raises the price of EVERYTHING" as a catch-all argument from carbrains people. yeah no poo poo, but i still pay less because i don't drive a 10 tonne SUV everywhere. if everything is more expensive...... doesn't it make even more sense to drive less or drive smaller cars genius?

They literally understood it better the last time it happened.

actionjackson posted:

he claims his other children go to a local public school, but this one has to go to a specific one farther away for the next few years (???)

edit: oh the kid is a problem child lol

so 27 miles each way, 108 miles a day, that's more than I drive in a month

Just pull in behind a strip mall and take a 6 hour nap at that point god drat

ikanreed posted:

Putting a road by the water is the biggest waste of the highest value real estate in a city, and it baffles me that it has happened in multiple major us cities

Not if you're getting kickbacks on it from the construction companies

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not if you're getting kickbacks on it from the construction companies

If I were a corrupt neoliberal stooge, I would simply bulldoze poor people's homes

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

docbeard posted:

I did long bus/train commutes for years and you know it's the best way to do it but if recent health scares have taught me anything it's that life is too loving short to spend hours of it a day in a vehicle, any vehicle.

As a daily commute agreed. However if I lived in DC/NYC and needed to travel to NYC/DC once a month or something, I would absolutely travel by train. I wonder if it's possible to take a train from Chicago to either NYC/DC and get there the same day. I bet not, but maybe.

Not the worst. Can get a room on the Capitol Limited for $650 for an 18hr journey. Obviously if this were a civilized nation like China it would be ~6hrs but I'm surprised that it's even possible within a day with a train in the US at all.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Mar 9, 2022

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I just started reading The Grapes of Wrath and it's funny to think of people back then hacking apart their cars to turn them into trucks so they could move their stuff. Soon the megatrucks are gonna start shedding pieces to get more than 10 mpg. or likely, the megacab ones are just going to turn into the modern mini mobile home.

Van lyfe is the new living in a trailer park. Just lol that people assume you'll even be able to buy a car in 10 years, they'll be so expensive everyone will rent one, but there will also be no alternative options so everyone will have to.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

that books some timeless poo poo. sometimes i wonder about whos gonna be the next okies

Ham Equity posted:

One of the previous mayors was super against it, but the powers that be just kept loving pushing it.

Mike McGinn was a huge bicycle advocate, and his biggest sin was being right about everything, so the CHUD city council (led by a piece of poo poo pig motherfucker) fought him on loving everything. Then, the Chamber of Commerce and said city council decided they'd rather work with a child molester, so that's who we got.

compromise candidate

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

*builds everything to be completely dependent on oil and gas supply being able to meet unlimited demand*
*something disrupts supply of oil and gas*
What's going on??? Why is this happening all of a sudden????

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

nomad2020 posted:

you also can't transport hazmat through the tunnel so that excludes lots of trucks.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh great they're filled with hazardous materials, even better.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

look at the bright side: getting run down by a brodozer while trying to cross the waterfront highway means you won't have to live through the mad max climate apocalypse

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i would like petrol prices to increase as much as possible as fast as possible

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But what about all the poor people in their brand new leased F150 trucks??

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

When car-brained people make computer games.. they design even the Statue of Liberty with a CAR PARK. In front of the statue, not even behind! What is more important than the Statue of Liberty? Of course the people's cars when people use their car to come watch the statue!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

Oh great they're filled with hazardous materials, even better.

Did you ever see that sylvester stalone movie

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Sphyre posted:

i would like petrol prices to increase as much as possible as fast as possible

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Just imagine this world

https://youtu.be/PQsNktD9zW4

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

i love that video.

"customers are protected from impulse purchases, and can be confident they will leave with only what they intended to buy"
supermarket chain: why yes, what an excellent idea. start building these billion dollar stores immediately

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Ham Equity posted:

Reduction in births to families that already have two children is bad...?

That's an interesting take. I would also love to know how they arrived at that 57 figure.

they had to wipe after they did.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Not the worst. Can get a room on the Capitol Limited for $650 for an 18hr journey. Obviously if this were a civilized nation like China it would be ~6hrs but I'm surprised that it's even possible within a day with a train in the US at all.

It's probably not possible. They can't meet those schedules most of the time because of single-tracking and freight priority.

Harik has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Mar 9, 2022

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
speaking of single tracking and freight priority lol, lmao they used the pandemic ridership drop to force the state to let freight trains run on the rail lines during the day. one of the big selling points of the commuter trains was that not only would they bypass traffic, but they'd just zip through crossings instead of parking for 20 minutes like freight does.

now they're slower (freight priority) AND the freight trains snarl traffic during rush hour.

taking the train for the first time in a few years today since i'm actually needing to go where it goes when it's open for once. can't wait to see how much they've hosed it up!

wonder if their garbage overpriced payment system is still costing them more than it's making in revenue. It's so well designed that it helpfully told me my CVV was invalid because it's unpossible that any bank could randomly assign 000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

it's missing elevators in each of the stalls to lower the cars down into hyperloops connected to their houses.