Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

CommieGIR posted:

They should just fly them to the closest border airport and tow them across the border.

Sorry, all the tractors are too busy.
:utruck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CommieGIR posted:

They should just fly them to the closest border airport and tow them across the border.

:hmmyes:

I honestly wonder if the confusion is purposeful at this point because I feel like the MIG story has changed like eight or nine times now.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

:hmmyes:

I honestly wonder if the confusion is purposeful at this point because I feel like the MIG story has changed like eight or nine times now.

I would hope it’s a bunch of “we don’t know how they’re getting them🤔🤔🤔🤔😉”, but it feels stupid enough to be true as well.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So does that mean he’s turning off the pipelines?

CommieGIR posted:

Oh look, he made the choice FOR Germany.

Er, not quite yet. This basically gives him, personally, the ability to stop the exports with a single word. He didn't say that word yet. Since he practically had the ability to stop the exports before this, it's really nothing but a threat.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
some of yall should really step away from this for a week or two and stop hanging on every tweet as hope

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proud Christian Mom posted:

some of yall should really step away from this for a week or two and stop hanging on every tweet as hope

Hey it’s something to do at work.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Didn't see anything posted earlier, but if you like indie video games and supporting Ukraine boy do I have a deal for you:

https://itch.io/b/1316/bundle-for-ukraine

itch.io is doing a bundle of 1000+ indie games/rpgs/books for a (minimum) $10 donation. You can donate more if you want because all proceeds are going to the International Medical Corps and Voices of Children charities in a 50/50 split. I can't vouch for the website, it's unknown to me but I saw an article on Polygon about it and figured maybe there was someone reading this thread that might be interested.

I admit I haven't heard of many of these games, like Thirsty Sword Lesbians, Dumpy and Bumpy or Acid Death Fantasy but Super Hot is on there and that alone is probably worth at least $10. There is a lot of stuff.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Is NATO really going to do the stupidly transparent "we'll park them at an airport with the keys in the ignition" charade

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GD_American posted:

Is NATO really going to do the stupidly transparent "we'll park them at an airport with the keys in the ignition" charade

Gotta play "I'm not touching you" like a child to avoid nuclear entanglements

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

GD_American posted:

I don't think that charade works when you openly say you want to give the planes to Ukraine.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I've been reading a lot of Sun Tzu, you know getting into the advanced poo poo, and I think we should give them F-22s but with Ukrainian flags on them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

EasilyConfused posted:

I don't think that charade works when you openly say you want to give the planes to Ukraine.

I mean the charades of that style have worked fine for Putin and Trump :shrug:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The US drops hundreds of nukes right outside the entire border of Russia, the entire time yelling "I'm not touching you I'm not touching you"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Tomfoolery posted:

The US drops hundreds of nukes right outside the entire border of Russia, the entire time yelling "I'm not touching you I'm not touching you"

easy there, macarthur

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bees everywhere posted:

I've been reading a lot of Sun Tzu, you know getting into the advanced poo poo, and I think we should give them F-22s but with Ukrainian flags on them.

We should give them Gorka's Mustang.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I have no shame in admitting that I backed off this thread because it was bringing up some stuff for me that I felt was better left under.

That video of the UA SF firing rockets on the highway had a round pass extremely close to the mic, making that loving noise. I heard that noise way more than once. My heart rate immediately jumped, and my brain felt a twinge of Fight or Flight.

Now I check in maybe once a day, breeze through a few pages to glean the headlines and updates on the conflict, and then step away.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Tomfoolery posted:

Ukrainians counter-attacking with stolen Russian tanks, "Stop hitting yourself!"

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have no shame in admitting that I backed off this thread because it was bringing up some stuff for me that I felt was better left under.

That video of the UA SF firing rockets on the highway had a round pass extremely close to the mic, making that loving noise. I heard that noise way more than once. My heart rate immediately jumped, and my brain felt a twinge of Fight or Flight.

Now I check in maybe once a day, breeze through a few pages to glean the headlines and updates on the conflict, and then step away.

The part that gets me is that I remember how utterly terrified I was the first time hearing that noise, and I was a trained grunt who volunteered to be there. I can only imagine what it must be like to be a civilian on the receiving end of an MLRS barrage, in your own goddamn living room.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 9, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

M_Gargantua posted:

Gotta play "I'm not touching you" like a child to avoid nuclear entanglements

It really is dumb as hell, but that's the game. Russia gives Iranians poo poo to blow up Americans with (allegedly), Americans give Ukranians poo poo to blow up Russians with, it's how the game works. Similar proxy poo poo went down in South/North Korea and Vietnam.

But the handoff logistics and "rules" are important when getting them wrong means WWIII/nukes. And "oops we found these fighter jets on the Poland-Ukraine border" is probably a bit different than "hey we flew these in from Germany".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, everyone wins no matter who loses because all that "donated" poo poo just gets re-bought.

JOBS JOBS JOBBBBBBBS :capitalism:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Good grief, just paint over the roundels, do whatever weird commo, etc. stuff needs changing, and hand the Ukrainian pilots the keys. Nobody cares if they're being flown off Ramstein or a Polish airfield; nobody's being fooled about where they're coming from or who's pulling this stunt. Hell, if anything, it's better that they just come straight from wherever they're located in Poland because I'm sure a flight from Ramstein would be pushing the Mig 29's range.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1501367664295706624

That's red meat for a tankie.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit: whoops it was to Poland never mind.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/MENAConflicted/status/1501377908216111107?t=pHnd8YPelt-ltQTtI9tDTA&s=19

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

bees everywhere posted:

Ukrainians counter-attacking with stolen Russian tanks, "Stop hitting yourself!"

The part that gets me is that I remember how utterly terrified I was the first time hearing that noise, and I was a trained grunt who volunteered to be there. I can only imagine what it must be like to be a civilian on the receiving end of an MLRS barrage, in your own goddamn living room.

Honest question, did you ever get to where that noise wasn’t utterly terrifying? Those things are designed with destruction in mind, I would think hearing that would (or should) always trigger some amount of fear.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Crini posted:

Honest question, did you ever get to where that noise wasn’t utterly terrifying? Those things are designed with destruction in mind, I would think hearing that would (or should) always trigger some amount of fear.

I would say it depends on your frame of mind at the time, if you're ready for it then it's manageable, if you're not then it sucks. You can get used to it in the now, but then being reminded of it a decade later you might start to wonder why your heart is suddenly beating really fast. Civilians in a war zone will find it harder to get "ready for it" because they don't know what's going on and there isn't much they can do about it.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 9, 2022

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

Again: when Russia does honor a humane evacuation route, I'll believe it, right now we have Russian forces mining possible evac routes, shelling both the routes and civilian buildings, and videos of :nms:Russian forces shooting civilian cars and murdering civilians:nms:

Weren't the mines Ukrainian? (And the. When they cleared some, the Russians pushed some vehicles through lickity-split)

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Even so, remember their past actions.

https://twitter.com/AliRogin/status/1501285866232291328

They used UN no-hit lists as priority target lists in Syria. What makes you think they'll be any better in Ukraine?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Sending MiG-29s to Ukraine isn't quite unprecedented, as I believe we gave a bunch of active duty F-4s to Israel during one of their '60s-'70s wars. Of course, they weren't exactly fighting the USSR, but still.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arrath posted:

Hitting a small patrol corvette with an unguided rocket barrage is some real good poo poo

"Rocket" is a generic term commonly used by Russians (and we can presume through inherited Soviet practice Ukrainians) to refer to guided missiles as well.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

EasilyConfused posted:

and yet give them the planes give em give em give em nooooooooooo not heeerrreeeee

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Crini posted:

The first time I heard it, my brain said 'BUG!' and I swatted by my ear, until I heard it again.
I wasn't hardcore, just a child of trauma who adapts well. I heard it at least a dozen times that day, so by then I was pretty unfazed- it was a message to move or change your current decision tree.

Later, when it became more intermittent, and a bit scarier, it was typically a missed 'sniper' shot. In Baghdad, 03, I heard the noise an average of three times a week from the turret.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

The first time I heard it, my brain said 'BUG!' and I swatted by my ear, until I heard it again.
I wasn't hardcore, just a child of trauma who adapts well. I heard it at least a dozen times that day, so by then I was pretty unfazed- it was a message to move or change your current decision tree.

Later, when it became more intermittent, and a bit scarier, it was typically a missed 'sniper' shot. In Baghdad, 03, I heard the noise an average of three times a week from the turret.

The first one for me came so close my ear rang. It took me a second to figure out what it was and what I should do.

“HEY SGT THEY SHOT AT ME!”

“Well get down stupid.”

An hour later in the ensuing firefights, I got a neat scar from a graze that would have killed me if it was an inch lower.

I think it was easier to deal with back then because I could get mad and aggressive and ignore any other thoughts/emotions. That helped with the fear.

Eventually you just kind of turn your brain off. You’re still like scared but the rush is also like intense. You just kind of do stuff, maybe you’ll die but it’s mostly out of your control.

Now hearing it, it just kind of digs up a lot of feelings I have tried to bury. It still triggers a bit of that small rush so in my more fragile moments I kind of microdose it in these videos.

Of course I had some nightmares a couple nights ago for the first time in a while so you know, it’s a mistake.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Richard Bong posted:

Of course I had some nightmares a couple nights ago for the first time in a while so you know, it’s a mistake.

Yeah, about that ... you're not alone.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

BrotherJayne posted:

Weren't the mines Ukrainian? (And the. When they cleared some, the Russians pushed some vehicles through lickity-split)

I never saw it confirmed either way, but that was my assumption too :shrug:

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
It would not make much sense for Russians to mine their own approaches, as well as mining roads during/prior to offensive maneuvers. And if they were Ukrainian, I doubt the intended target was civilians fleeing. I do know the Russians have and do airdrop anti personel mines, but I do not know how feasible or if they have the capibility to air drop anti tank/vehicle mines.

Not trying to defend Russian actions here, just highlighting how diffilcult and dangerous it is trying to move civilians out of a highly non-permissive enviroment.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Richard Bong posted:

Now hearing it, it just kind of digs up a lot of feelings I have tried to bury. It still triggers a bit of that small rush so in my more fragile moments I kind of microdose it in these videos.

Watching videos of the civilians evacuating and hearing the rockets and mortars incoming definitely puts me in that space too. Ugh.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

bulletsponge13 posted:

Doomscrolling/posting can definitely wreak havoc with your mental health, good on you for stepping away when you needed it.

I'm coping reasonably well, but I also don't view any of the NMS vids, which I learned from the ME thread I couldn't handle. If the sound triggered somethin in you, perhaps you should turn off the sound of those vids, or stop watching them? It helped me a lot when I stopped watching those clips and instead only read what happened.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Wrong Theory posted:

I can't vouch for the website, it's unknown to me but I saw an article on Polygon about it and figured maybe there was someone reading this thread that might be interested.

For what it's worth I can absolutely vouch for itch.io. It's the home of weird indie games on the internet.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The obvious solution to the fighter aircraft problem is to give them to Pepsi, who then organizes a Ukraine only special promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dick Ripple posted:

It would not make much sense for Russians to mine their own approaches, as well as mining roads during/prior to offensive maneuvers. And if they were Ukrainian, I doubt the intended target was civilians fleeing. I do know the Russians have and do airdrop anti personel mines, but I do not know how feasible or if they have the capibility to air drop anti tank/vehicle mines.

Not trying to defend Russian actions here, just highlighting how diffilcult and dangerous it is trying to move civilians out of a highly non-permissive enviroment.

Yes it doesn't make sense unless you see the lives as collateral to secure a mine free route, and thus you demand the routes go towards your own territory.