Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Yes, problems at Third and Pine and other parts of town are the result of substance abuse, mental-health issues, poverty and other social problems that cannot be resolved simply by throwing people in jail. But,

I cannot get over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Athas posted:

NATO is more energised, united, and active than in any time in my living memory. They are acting with far more competence than Russia. Is Payne just upset that NATO isn't also driving armoured vroom-vrooms into Ukraine?

Yes. Tanks are big and powerful and clearly the best thing to make in the modern era and not at all hilariously obsolete as of the middle of WWII.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why not just give the poor people money, pay for the addicts' drugs, and give mental health support to those that need it

You don't even have to find the money because you can just use the money you were gonna spend to put and keep them in jail

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
"but they don't deserv-":fuckoff:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Why not just give the poor people money, pay for the addicts' drugs, and give mental health support to those that need it

You don't even have to find the money because you can just use the money you were gonna spend to put and keep them in jail

Drugs and therepy nothing, Governments can build and gift houses to the homeless and it works out cheaper. George W. Bush tried it in his second term w/ a Housing First policy, and it looked promising. One thing that scuppered outcomes was when those overseeing the program gave the houses to the "more deserving" first, rather than the people who kept on ending up in the ER or a prison cell.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Horsey is like a textbook liberal. Just perfectly supportive of the poor and homeless…right up until it’s the poor and homeless in his city.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I like how his example of how awful it is in his cartoon is GASP! A homesless getting mail how dare they have access to basic services while being homeless in public!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
B-but didn't you hear? There was a murder

Thankfully the police are there now, so there will be no more murders*

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I vaguely recall that one of the last Horsey's to be posted concerned a local election, and he was quite clear that he endorsed the cop democrat but also that he'd pick any of the republicans over the non-cop democrats who wanted to increase social spending and jail fewer homeless people.

Not only is he an ultralib, he actively uses his platform to undermine these efforts he claims to prefer.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I like how his example of how awful it is in his cartoon is GASP! A homesless getting mail how dare they have access to basic services while being homeless in public!
I think it’s supposed to be a subtle “he’s not that poor” or “he’s wasting his money on frivolous things” since he’s a homeless guy getting a package.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I vaguely recall that one of the last Horsey's to be posted concerned a local election, and he was quite clear that he endorsed the cop democrat but also that he'd pick any of the republicans over the non-cop democrats who wanted to increase social spending and jail fewer homeless people.

Not only is he an ultralib, he actively uses his platform to undermine these efforts he claims to prefer.

I looked around to try to find it and this was his take on that local election. Might not be the exact one you're thinking of but it surely has the same sentiment.

quote:

Seattle progressives need to learn a lesson from the results of Tuesday’s municipal election: You cannot win by ignoring the concerns of the majority of citizens in the city.

Yes, Seattle is a liberal town where Donald Trump received just 8% of the vote in 2020. But those liberals include thousands of owners of single family homes, thousands of young parents of a rising number of urban kids, thousands of people who like walking through city parks without having to worry about their safety, thousands of others who love Seattle’s downtown and are deeply troubled by how it has been allowed to slip into shabbiness and incivility.

That is a huge number of folks whose concerns have been ignored by a city council loaded with left-leaning ideologues who seem more interested in building a social movement than serving the entire community. Though far from insensitive to the plight of those who are homeless or instances of malign policing, this majority — which includes people of all races and economic levels — is not ready to give over the parks and city streets to drug users and petty criminals or to dismantle the police department.

I guess if progressives really wanted to win they'd make it illegal to be homeless?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

February Follies

Feb 4th
My Large Adult Son will not leave.

Feb 10th
Ratman really enjoys posting his older cartoons. I guess too lazy to make new transphobic crap.

Feb 12th
From the same people that tsked tsked you eating out as fiscally irresponsible just four years ago.

Feb 13th
"Sometimes I forget that you are so out of touch you think the cost of higher education has been static for the past twenty years."

Feb 13th

Feb 19th
SHE'S GONNA RUN SHE'S GONNA RUN SHE'S GONNA RUN SHE'S GONNA RUN SHE'S GONNA RUN SHE'S GONNA RUN

Feb 20th
MEDIA :argh:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Srice posted:

I find him more repugnant than most rightwing cartoonists posted in this thread since he tries to straddle that line.
lovely people who are (or claim to be) on your side tend to be more annoying to you then those who oppose you vocally keeping to their guns.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I love human sized newspapers

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pants Donkey posted:

Feb 13th
"Sometimes I forget that you are so out of touch you think the cost of higher education has been static for the past twenty years."

i don't know this guy's age but i feel pretty safe in saying that you could bump that number up to forty, easy

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know this guy's age but i feel pretty safe in saying that you could bump that number up to forty, easy
If his son is almost college-aged, that probably puts him under 50, I think it’s more that Ratman isn’t understanding that the generations have shifted, so this is a Gen X (possibly even millennial) parent and their Gen Z kid and not a boomer like him.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pants Donkey posted:

If his son is almost college-aged, that probably puts him under 50, I think it’s more that Ratman isn’t understanding that the generations have shifted, so this is a Gen X (possibly even millennial) parent and their Gen Z kid and not a boomer like him.

sorry i think that was unclear i was talking about the author of the comic not the character standing in as his mouthpiece

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seattle created their own version of Andy Ngo who now goes to "CRIME hotspots" and just films poor and homeless people which makes it onto our Sinclair-owned news station. There's been 2 bad "crime" spots that have been bad since... early 2000s that suddenly now are getting noticed and people are pretending to care. Thing is, the only violence there is other homeless / drug deals, and normal people never really get attacked. Basically, all Seattle media outlets (including Horsey) are falling for this narrative that Seattle is unsafe when it's actually a hell of a lot safer than it was in the 90s.

All it's done is had our police department spend a ton of money to create a mobile precinct, which has the homeless scatter to different parts of the city, so it looks like a success but in reality has just pushed the problem elsewhere. Liberalism!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Henny Beaumont on Vladimir Putin v Volodymyr Zelenskiy – Ukraine’s brave leader impresses the world, as Russian despot flails"

Telegraph:

Russian shelling is prevent civilians from leaving cities, says Ukraine's president

Independent:

Times:

Priti Patel under fire over chaotic Ukrainian refugee policy

Evening Standard:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

seiferguy posted:

Seattle created their own version of Andy Ngo who now goes to "CRIME hotspots" and just films poor and homeless people which makes it onto our Sinclair-owned news station. There's been 2 bad "crime" spots that have been bad since... early 2000s that suddenly now are getting noticed and people are pretending to care. Thing is, the only violence there is other homeless / drug deals, and normal people never really get attacked. Basically, all Seattle media outlets (including Horsey) are falling for this narrative that Seattle is unsafe when it's actually a hell of a lot safer than it was in the 90s.

'Normal' people never get attacked, just homeless people.

Uh huh. I see.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kellies nomination: worst label

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Scott Morrison is talking up spending on new submarine bases while flooded Australians are crowdfunding helicopters for food drops. Flood victims say they're crowdfunding for help due to lack of government support (ABC).

Rowe:

Brown:

Lethbridge:

Scott Morrison and opposition leader Anthony Albanese.

Knight:

Shakespeare:

Wilcox:

Spooner:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
How do Anglos live with political cartoons this poo poo?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Antigravitas posted:

How do Anglos live with political cartoons this poo poo?

this thread is like 90% of the people in the world who care about them enough to read them i think

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shugojin posted:

this thread is like 90% of the people in the world who care about them enough to read them i think

I remember some thread regular trying to write stuff about politoons for a video or blog or something and they quickly discovered that this thread and laughing at ben garrison on twitter are the only major sections of politoon discourse on the internet.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just like those people who oil up and maintain old coal trains, we do our part to preserve this historical industry

It's just were preserving a bunch of doodles of giant piles of poo poo with 'debt' slapped on em

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I always have to remind myself that normal people don't know who Micheal Ramirez or Chuck Asay or Ted Rall are. It is our curse.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Let they who hasn't gotten poo poo face at a party and ranted about the McCoy brothers to long throw the first stone

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

“JOE’S GAS” AND WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT WHEN HE EATS SPOILED PUDDING…..

Joe Biden may be a puppet, but he’s also is a stubborn and foolish man. He and his regime refuse to let go of their ‘climate change’ bunk. Good ol’ ‘lunch bucket’ Joe is willing make the working class suffer much higher gas prices in order to cling to the globalist delusion that we must cut carbon emissions.

UPDATE: Joe Biden is set to announce a ban on Russian oil on Tuesday morning in a 10:45 press conference.

Still, it’s not adding up. Why reach out to our avowed enemies and strengthen them by means of buying their oil? Biden is considering banning Russian oil, but reaching out to Iran and Venezuela makes little sense. Besides, their oil will cause just as much pollution as our own. Why not let American oil workers produce the stuff here? Why not regain the energy independence and low gas prices we enjoyed under President Trump? Nope—Biden will have none of that. He would rather us all pay higher prices to others including Saudi Arabia, which does not have much of a human rights track record.

It all makes no sense, but Biden and his woke regime aren’t America first. Their allegiance is aligned with the Davos crowd, who want to see America destroyed. That’s why Biden seems almost eager to prolong what he called “a dark winter.”

— Ben Garrison

Gas prices under Trump were so much lower! Here, I'll show this chart from 2020. What? No, there's no reason to look at any other year.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So what are all those cartoonists who said Biden was paying for the war by still buying oil from Russia going to do now?

A. Ignore it.
B. Ignore it.
C. Ignore it.
D. All of the above.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wizzardstaff posted:

Judging by the rest of the artist’s output (linked in comments) this seems more like a meme than a political statement, but I think it belongs here anyway.

https://twitter.com/naaneuclidean/status/1500867635155771394

All I can see is this.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

The Horsey take is even worse than that of course.

gently caress it. I'm still mad about this.

Kellies Nomination: Overall Worst

Not for the cartoon but for that dogshit paragraph. gently caress you Horsey.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

An rear end in a top hat Named Horsey posted:

At long last, Seattle police are making their presence known at Third Avenue and Pine Street.

The area around that intersection in downtown Seattle has become a meeting place and semi-permanent residence for those addicted to drugs, drug sellers, shoplifters and gang members. During the two years of pandemic, the situation became more acute because office workers, shoppers and tourists disappeared from the streets. Yet, even before COVID-19 sent everyone home to socially distance, the Third and Pike location was a seedy and sometimes dangerous mess.

Two murders in the area within the last week finally pushed Seattle tolerance too far. The cops will now be patrolling the scene 24 hours a day, and that is a relief to shop owners like Amir Yousuf, who has run International Cigar and Tobacco on Third Avenue between Pike and Pine streets for 25 years. He told The Times that he has had to fight off 10 to 20 shoplifters a day, and the entrance to his store has often been blocked by clusters of drug dealers plying their trade.

Anyone who has recently walked that direct route between the shopping district and Pike Place Market will know exactly what Yousuf is talking about.

Yes, problems at Third and Pine and other parts of town are the result of substance abuse, mental-health issues, poverty and other social problems that cannot be resolved simply by throwing people in jail. But, until we find ways to address all those challenges, we cannot ignore the crisis on our streets. Criminal behavior can be explained by economic and social inequities and failures, but it cannot be an excuse to do nothing.

The city streets belong to all of us, not just the few who want to claim those streets to do harm, either to themselves or to those around them.

So I used to walk through/past this area more or less every single day when I was attending classes at the Art Institute (which was, yikes, like a decade ago now). I remember there were almost always homeless folks hanging out or panhandling, and while I'm sure there were deeply unpleasant or dangerous people that hung around the area too, because people are people, and it's downtown Seattle, I never encountered any. They were generally very friendly or perfectly happy to ignore me. I remember this one dude with a pet rat that would sit on his shoulder while he just struck up a conversation with anyone passing by. Hell, I kind of loved that whole area, you just met all sorts of cool people along that route. I think if a female college kid on a 50$ food budget and with a crippling anxiety disorder that was only worsening at the time can deal with the terror of people existing (sometimes at night, even, le gosh), this dipshit can probably stop quaking with disgust at poor people, shock and horror.

Maybe this just comes across as me virtue signaling or something, but he's talking about somewhere I remember, and frankly I felt a lot safer at night when I saw folks I recognized on the way back to where I was staying than when I didn't. I'm guessing he hasn't been within half a mile of the area, at least not on foot. Probably sprints into Pike Place, if he goes there at all.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

Judging by the rest of the artist’s output (linked in comments) this seems more like a meme than a political statement, but I think it belongs here anyway.

https://twitter.com/naaneuclidean/status/1500867635155771394

Who is the person in the headlock supposed to be?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
epstein

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Epstein doesn't know how to work, he looks perfectly calm when inside a devastating headlock.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

MrUnderbridge posted:

So what are all those cartoonists who said Biden was paying for the war by still buying oil from Russia going to do now?

A. Ignore it.
B. Ignore it.
C. Ignore it.
D. All of the above.

E. WHY GAS SO EXPENSIVE!? TRUMP $1.99 ENERGY INDEPENDENCEKAJSBCDHJDBVHJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Conspiracy theories would be way cooler as wrestling storylines.