Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll cross-post this from my Home Movies thread

Danzel Glovington posted:

If you like 27 minute videos analyzing Home Movies, you might like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6U9amcfU-s

or you might not I dunno I'm not dating the guy so whatev.

(though I'll add my caveat that you may wish to stop at 22 minutes, the rest is an earbud ad that talks about "sigma males" and "normies" and is a reenactment of the Matrix red pill scene so :yikes:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched the first season of Big Mouth and its a pretty good show. The repulsive character designs are to make it less creepy and highlight the grossness of puberty. Same reason that a show like Pen15 has its two protagonists played by adults.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also I really love a lot of the monster designs in Big Mouth, but then I guess the writers really really liked them too, because they're getting an entire show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the kind of weird or gross style of animation I enjoy is more like Ugly Americans or Drawn Together, two shows that were gritty and grimy as gently caress, but the designs didn’t make me physically uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eDCwrD5m0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efgfjni-hho

I was the little kid who was obsessed with Ren & Stimpy for the epic Spaceman Spiff outer space landscapes but had to look away from the upclose oil paintings of boogers and butt cracks, I really don’t care for that kind of stuff in my cartoons.

There have been a couple scenes in China, IL that made me nauseous because it’s such a silly lighthearted show but then suddenly the most hosed up poo poo you’ve ever seen is happening

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, it's hard to pin down what Drawn Together's "style" is because its whole schtick is that each character is aping a specific animation style/tradition.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1499171937611833346?s=21

Reading the comments, Netflix does this specifically to skirt having to pay the animators more for a second season

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah, animation people know it's a lovely practice, but the allure of a longer-than-normal job is hard to resist. Thanks, gig economy!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Disenchantment was the same way. The four seasons were ordered in two batches.

Sadly I think they learned this from what happened during Bojack.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Netflix in general seems allergic to rewarding the talented workhorses that make their big hits. The showrunners for Castlevania were posting a few months ago about how the show was a huge success and beloved and putting out great numbers so they asked for more money for the spin off and next thing he knows he’s getting calls from his friends saying Netflix is pitching them the Castlevania spin-off saying he’s not attached.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/wowiluvlaughing/status/1499195162290913285

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Netflix in general seems allergic to rewarding the talented workhorses that make their big hits. The showrunners for Castlevania were posting a few months ago about how the show was a huge success and beloved and putting out great numbers so they asked for more money for the spin off and next thing he knows he’s getting calls from his friends saying Netflix is pitching them the Castlevania spin-off saying he’s not attached.

Gotta love how new media has to steadily discover and go through all the fights for workers to assert their rights all over again after it was settled in old media.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I worked for a couple Canadian studios that were always underbidding for projects and then doing change orders in the middle of the show so they’d actually be able to complete them. This worked with traditional networks and toy companies, but the streamers are a different bag. If you say “oh, we’re not going to be able to complete this project unless we do a change order and get more money” the big streamers will just go “okay. We didn’t really need that show anyway” and let the studio fail. The show then never comes out.

The fact that it’s happened twice should now teach studios to bid realistically at the start, but instead what’s happening is the projects are going to publicly owned companies like Wildbrain that will be able to complete the projects while staying afloat but will have their investors eat the loss.

BeckySucrose
Mar 1, 2022

Ccs posted:

I watched the first season of Big Mouth and its a pretty good show. The repulsive character designs are to make it less creepy and highlight the grossness of puberty. Same reason that a show like Pen15 has its two protagonists played by adults.

Exactly. It's weird to me that people think this show sexualizes kids when, if anything, it sexualizes mutant fish people.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1504140761515773957?s=21

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1504140824837345286?s=21

For a certain type of person these Toonami bumpers will cause a truly insane level of emotional response despite them ostensibly just being clips of 90’s anime. Good god that takes me back. :unsmith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NO EATING IN THE POOL

WHAT IS THAT, PIMENTO CHEESE?

WHAT IS THAT?

NO EATING IN THE POOL!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

For a certain type of person these Toonami bumpers will cause a truly insane level of emotional response despite them ostensibly just being clips of 90’s anime. Good god that takes me back. :unsmith:

I wasn't ready for that nostalgia hit. :unsmith:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I still have to watch Blue Sub No 6

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The 7th Guest posted:

I still have to watch Blue Sub No 6

It’s so loving good, dude, it’s awesome.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Since I'm not resurrecting a dead thread with this post I want to say anyone that hasn't seen Smiling Friends needs to rectify that. I was apprehensive of it but I'm glad I gave it a shot since its hilarious.

Watch the first episode and if the scene of when they meet their first client doesn't get you turn it off, its not for you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The thing they set out to do, which is have these weird colorful creatures just talking to each other like normal people, they absolutely knock out of the park. The last episode so far where Pim and Charlie have that argument about Charlie's attitude is just so real and I really enjoy it. It's also nice because the show is really NOT cynical, which I wouldn't have expected from a show like this. Charlie and Pim also just have such a great dynamic as a pair.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Halloween episode was the best Halloween anything I've ever seen I think

I don't want to spoil it by talking about what's good about it but I've never laughed harder while also scared shitless

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/clarknova1/status/1504402044928593920?s=21

The Toonami staff stories are really touching. Toonami WAS these things for me, it WAS the first thing my brother and I bonded over, it WAS the best part of my day and my weekend for years until I was basically 16-17 and out of the house

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/misterabk/status/1506579158289330176?s=21

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Oh god! Im buyin! Are the commies winning ?!?

Im spending as fast as i can!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay but lets be real: "I'm polluting on purpose for no reason!" that part is true, turns out Captain Planet was right and this is a real and serious problem that happens all the time and it's only getting worse and stupider and that's how we end up with poo poo like NFTs.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I would pay real money to watch the space genocide arc of this cartoon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

The Halloween episode was the best Halloween anything I've ever seen I think

I don't want to spoil it by talking about what's good about it but I've never laughed harder while also scared shitless

Dude are you wearing blackface?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay but lets be real: "I'm polluting on purpose for no reason!" that part is true, turns out Captain Planet was right and this is a real and serious problem that happens all the time and it's only getting worse and stupider and that's how we end up with poo poo like NFTs.

There's a curve with Captain Planet.

When you're a kid, you're all GO PLANET! and you don't think about it.
When you get a bit older, you think that poo poo was unrealistic, nobody would act like that, polluting for no reason.
When you're fully grown, the terror sets in and you realize Captain Planet was right, except that those educational bits at the end of the episode should have been less about separating your recyclables and more about building molotov cocktails and how to service a rifle for when the revolution comes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Rick & Morty about how the logical terminus of Captain Planet is just eco-terrorism was one of my favorite episodes of the last season

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bust Rodd posted:

The Rick & Morty about how the logical terminus of Captain Planet is just eco-terrorism was one of my favorite episodes of the last season

Poison Ivy did nothing wrong

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

pixaal posted:

You're goddamn right. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The mere concept of Rolling Coal annoys the hell out of me.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

The mere concept of Rolling Coal annoys the hell out of me.

That just means it’s working!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

pixaal posted:

Ecoterrorism is believable as a motivation, but a lot of the time writers get weird about it and present their idea of caring for the environment as some kind of totally unworkable thing. Poison Ivy sometimes is depicted as getting angry when people do as much as eat a salad instead of having an actually nuanced view on the environment.

Another apparent ecoterrorist in the Batman world is the immortal wealthy elite Ra's al Ghul, whose goal is to scourge the Earth of the bulk of humanity.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I struggle with eco terrorist villains in media because without fail there is always this weird line break, where Poison Ivy or whoever is targeting corporations and deforestation and polluting the ocean, but then it gets to the part where the audience has to want them to lose, so the characters make a hard right into murdering innocent people completely divorced from denaturalization, usually in a way that doesn’t even make sense with their character.

Just once I’d like an eco-terrorist villain/plotline to actually end with the hero being like “I mean, she’s right, Nestle is literally destroying the world and trying to charge you for drinking water.” but that’s a hard sell to your corporate masters.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Promare has Mad Burnish, who aren't eco-terrorists but are a rare case of the queer-coded violent terrorist extremists actually being 100% right and the liberal protag throwing his lot in with them wholeheartedly to dismantle a fascist apparatus.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

I struggle with eco terrorist villains in media because without fail there is always this weird line break, where Poison Ivy or whoever is targeting corporations and deforestation and polluting the ocean, but then it gets to the part where the audience has to want them to lose, so the characters make a hard right into murdering innocent people completely divorced from denaturalization, usually in a way that doesn’t even make sense with their character.

Just once I’d like an eco-terrorist villain/plotline to actually end with the hero being like “I mean, she’s right, Nestle is literally destroying the world and trying to charge you for drinking water.” but that’s a hard sell to your corporate masters.

I'd be down for an eco terrorist plot where the heroes show up, hear what the villain is trying to do, and then just be like "yeah the moral thing is to just let this play out" and go home. Like, the "villain" has this covered, no need for the heroes to intervene and stop them from saving the rainforest.

The rest of the episode is just the heroes having a relaxing day off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

Promare has Mad Burnish, who aren't eco-terrorists but are a rare case of the queer-coded violent terrorist extremists actually being 100% right and the liberal protag throwing his lot in with them wholeheartedly to dismantle a fascist apparatus.

Promare is so, so good.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

This is a problem with a LOT of villains motivated by real problems. In a sane world Poison Ivy would be the hero of her own comic where she fights polluting villains Captain Planet style, but since she was put into the role of villain the writers need to have her do SOMETHING to justify the Batman stopping her so we get plotlines of her blowing up an orphanage because the kids are littering or something.

Also: A Poison Ivy comic sounds rad. DC please make this.

The_Doctor posted:

Promare is so, so good.

It’s only flaw is that it chickens out of being overtly gay in the last moment (and I suspect the writers wanted to go there but were told no). It’s a genuinely amazing film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

A liberal choosing the environment over stability and prosperity? That's crazy talk.