Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Okay, after trying the cable in both HDMI ports, and trying the regular blu-ray in the player I've determined it's the transfer. There's even the exact same dark flicker at the top of the screen during the crane shot outside of the Overlook, just before the cut to Jack walking through the lobby. Both the blu-ray and the UHD have the same shakiness and jittering, so it's something with the discs and/or transfer. Keep in mind I don't have motion-smoothing on my TV either (and wouldn't turn it on even if I did), so your mileage may vary.

It really is just those overhead shots of the car though, everything else looked fantastic. Also testing out the blu-ray helped me appreciate just how much better the UHD is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

King Vidiot posted:

Okay, after trying the cable in both HDMI ports, and trying the regular blu-ray in the player I've determined it's the transfer. There's even the exact same dark flicker at the top of the screen during the crane shot outside of the Overlook, just before the cut to Jack walking through the lobby. Both the blu-ray and the UHD have the same shakiness and jittering, so it's something with the discs and/or transfer. Keep in mind I don't have motion-smoothing on my TV either (and wouldn't turn it on even if I did), so your mileage may vary.

It really is just those overhead shots of the car though, everything else looked fantastic. Also testing out the blu-ray helped me appreciate just how much better the UHD is.

A couple of things. First, if you're seeing judder/missing frames in tracking shots like that, it's almost definitely the signal from your player and how your TVs refresh rate interprets that signal (this goes for UHD and BR, so they would both look funky). One thing to check is if your player is set to 24p output for any content shot in 24fps, like most movies. Then, it also matters what TV you have and how it interprets 24p signals. A lot of modern TVs recognize it and automatically adjust the hz so that all judder is eliminated. Older TVs or significantly cheaper TVs don't. That's why motion smoothing might be necessary in some cases, to compensate for overly juddery TVs, thought like I said, this isn't as much of a problem as it used to be. You can look up your model TV on rtings and check the judder section to see how well your tv performs with 24p and 60hz signals.

Secondly, that black flicker at the top of the screen in the shots of the Overlook in the intro are actually the blades of the helicopter used to shoot those scenes, and isn't indicative of a transfer frame rate defect, so they'll show up on any transfer that hasn't fully cropped them out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That's exactly the info I needed, thanks. My TV is a "budget model" Samsung, and according to a review I just read it has a fixed refresh rate of 60hz, so it can't adjust for a 24fps movie. The player has an Auto 24p setting, either Auto or off, so it's not the player or cable it's the TV.

Oh well, still looks nice. I don't really have the money for a brand new TV and I just got the thing last year, so gently caress it I guess? :shrug:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I remember for my UBP-700 I had to disable the Auto 24p setting because it was actually triggering some weird motion smoothing.

Opposite problem but annoying nonetheless.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion flash sale tomorrow (May 8) starting at noon EST, per social media.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
oh no

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Oh poo poo is it May already and so close to my birthday too. Who is gonna cover for me since I’m broke?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There were a couple Eclipse sets I had my eye on, and Barnes and Noble rarely has those so I'll probably get the Eclipse sets and leave the rest for the summer B&N sale.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Not very much up for this criterion sale huh.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there a reason to get the Criterion Miller's Crossing over the apparently more complete non Criterion blu?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a reason to get the Criterion Miller's Crossing over the apparently more complete non Criterion blu?

No in fact the Criterion is a slightly inferior version of the movie because there is a funny line that they inexplicably cut.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

you can also get the old version for much cheaper on ebay. I think I paid like $6-$7 shipped.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

The extras sound nice, but I can hardly ever find the time to watch those.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh are the extras new for this version of millers crossing? I am all about extras with physical media.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

Oh are the extras new for this version of millers crossing? I am all about extras with physical media.

Yep.

Hard-Boiled: The Coen Brothers and Megan Abbott - in this brand new program, Joel and Ethan Coen discuss their love for film noir and its impact on their work with author Megan Abbott. The program was produced for Criterion in 2021. In English, not subtitled. (29 min).

The Actors - in this brand new program, Gabriel Byrne and John Turturro recall their experiences during the making of Miller's Crossing and discuss some of the film's unique qualities with Megan Abbott. The program was produced for Criterion in 2021. In English, not subtitled. (33 min).

The Music - in this brand new program, composer Carter Burwell and music editor Todd Kasow recall how they became involved with Miller's Crossing and discuss the important role music has in it and how it actually compliments the Coen Brothers' style. The program was produced for Criterion in 2021. In English, not subtitled. (17 min).

The Look - in this brand new audio program, director of photography Barry Sonnenfeld discusses the evolution of his career, his professional relationship with the Coen Brothers, and and the unique stylistic appearance of Miller's Crossing, which is apparently his favorite of all the films he has lensed over the years. The program was produced for Criterion in 2021. In English, not subtitled. (16 min).

The Design - in this brand new audio program, production designer Dennis Gassner explains how he entered the film business and recalls how he was offered the opportunity to work on Miller's Crossing. There are some particularly interesting comments about the use of color in the film as well. The program was produced for Criterion in 2021. In English, not subtitled. (10 min).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1501318095381544962?t=8IIaGlNjtXd2pyTc9qO_pg&s=19

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Touch of Evil 4K landed. The flames after that first explosion look amazing. Great detail. You can see EVERYTHING on the film. Absolutely wild.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Which cut should I watch first for Touch of Evil? For whatever reason I've never seen it before.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Which cut should I watch first for Touch of Evil? For whatever reason I've never seen it before.

I'd go with the 111-minute cut from 1998, as it's an attempt to restore Welles' original cut.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, the Reconstructed cut is the only one I’ve seen, and it’s great. I’m excited to watch the other two versions though, finally.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Sent the UHD player back, but then my Phenomena 4k arrived today. Probably just going to keep it? It's a "limited" release and it's probably never getting a second print.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

King Vidiot posted:

Sent the UHD player back, but then my Phenomena 4k arrived today. Probably just going to keep it? It's a "limited" release and it's probably never getting a second print.

Plus it has Motorhead, Goblin, and more! Any movie with that is a keeper.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I already have the previous Synapse blu-ray release to watch, so I may just keep this one in the shrink wrap on my shelf.

physical_media_thread.txt

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Malignant

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hausu

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

King Vidiot posted:

At the very least I'm sure plenty of people will be paying quadruple the retail price of that as soon as they sell out so if you change your mind you can just sell it to some dumb dumb. poo poo you could probably sell that and get what a UHD player costs.

"And that's why the Criterion Collection blocked me on twitter."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

"And that's why the Criterion Collection blocked me on twitter."

new thread title

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I dunno, other post was right. Hausu is probably crazier than malignant. Or at least at same level. There’s probably some other equally wild films in the collection I’m not thinking of.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

I dunno, other post was right. Hausu is probably crazier than malignant. Or at least at same level. There’s probably some other equally wild films in the collection I’m not thinking of.

I don't think "craziness" is what excludes Malignant from being in the collection. I think it's because it's a mainstream film from a well-regarded studio and production company with one of the most successful mainstream Hollywood directors working today, who also happens to be the most successful Australian filmmaker ever. It's a blockbuster horror film that happened to premier on a streaming service.

Stuff like Marriage Story and The Irishman are in there, but mainly because Netflix has openly stated they have zero interest in putting their stuff on physical media, and they're both from well-regarded auteur directors.

Hausu is crazier than Malignant, though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I am surprised Malignant doesn’t have a 4K physical release yet. Backwards men need to be shown in maximum clarity.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Freddy Got Fingered

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Exclusive to Germany for May 13, but looks like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari will be the first silent film released on UHD. The 2014 4K restoration was sourced from the nitrate camera negative and several original tinted 1920 nitrate prints.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

hell yeah.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Oh no the Criterion sale is over guess I won't be blowing $100 on blu-rays again for the seventh time in as many months. Oh darn.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With stuff like Hausu or Malignant you need some time to pass before Criterion would consider it. It needs to build up it's status as a cult classic, which may never happen if they do sequels and run the thing into the ground(which seems likely).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

With stuff like Hausu or Malignant you need some time to pass before Criterion would consider it. It needs to build up it's status as a cult classic, which may never happen if they do sequels and run the thing into the ground(which seems likely).

Godzilla got run into the ground and we still got a boxset of those films - if "All Monsters Attack" can make it into the Criterion Collection, anything can. Have faith, we may yet see a Complete James Wan 16K MegaHD set in a few decades

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

dorium posted:

Freddy Got Fingered

Schizopolis, Being John Malkovich, Tampopo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gey muckle mowser posted:

Godzilla got run into the ground and we still got a boxset of those films - if "All Monsters Attack" can make it into the Criterion Collection, anything can. Have faith, we may yet see a Complete James Wan 16K MegaHD set in a few decades

I'm still waiting for a Heisei box. It doesn't have to be Criterion, Arrow or Mill Creek would both be fine. They can even split it into Heisei and Millennium, I'd still buy both of them!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I decided to sit out this sale. I’ll probably buy some random dumb stuff in the meantime. Kino Lorber has a F/X and F/X 2 double feature that just came out. Transfer isn’t great, and neither is the second film, but I still kind of want it. My parents had taped it off of HBO at some point so it ended up being the first rated R movie I ever watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Sometime before the month is out, I'm picking up Out of the Blue from Severin. Or, published by Severin but I'll probably buy it through Diabolik because I hate Severin's website and their whole... thing... but they release some bangers every now and then.

Out of the Blue is so good.