Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hra Mormo posted:

This dog pile is infinitely weirder than one guy leveling a job to 90 through roulettes without doing their Stormblood quests because they're never touching the job again until 7.0.

Dumb dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

anyway gently caress this convo I got a commission completed this morning and I'm here to share and brag about it

https://twitter.com/Coba_Lovelive/status/1501144156252508164

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oooh, that's really nice. That's the twinsilk casting top, isn't it?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

CJ posted:

It's been a while but i'm pretty sure one of the last quests i did had the moogles do a funny dance and tell me the dark arts were actually the power of friendship or something. I don't think i'm missing out.

it was the power of love tyvm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

anyway gently caress this convo I got a commission completed this morning and I'm here to share and brag about it

That is a really adorable art style

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Leraika posted:

Oooh, that's really nice. That's the twinsilk casting top, isn't it?

sure is!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'd love to get a commission of my WoL but I change outfits and glams way too much for that to be practical.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
200 new posts.....
Looks like CJ was expertly trolling the thread? Anything else of note? Anything fun in the patch?

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Vitamean posted:

This is very cute! I love seeing character commissions and I have to stop myself from getting more every time I see a great artist.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'm looking forward to the pvp changes in 6.1 but the only thing that happened with today's patch is that steam integration broke

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

hazardousmouse posted:

200 new posts.....
Looks like CJ was expertly trolling the thread? Anything else of note? Anything fun in the patch?

Yeah you can't play the game any more if you're on Linux.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Leraika posted:

I'd love to get a commission of my WoL but I change outfits and glams way too much for that to be practical.
Choose an outfit you like and support an artist imo. Here's the latest one I got
https://twitter.com/jellyfishflan/status/1491089299193827329

hazardousmouse posted:

Anything fun in the patch?
Just hotfixes other than the Steam stuff recently mentioned

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Aether datacenter is no longer all congested too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

who should i commission to decorate my lil house

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Since skips have come up, to no on in particular keep in mind with the HW jobs, if you do the job skip you won't get their first AF gear automatically, you'll have to do hunts.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Leraika posted:

I'm looking forward to the pvp changes in 6.1 but the only thing that happened with today's patch is that steam integration broke

I think killing the feast and the new mode is probably good. I am tentatively on board with this battle pass style progression under the assumption that I don't have to do more than like... 4 matches a week to cap it before it rotates. I am not excited for the job changes because they've said they are coming but have given 0 elaboration on it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'm just glad I'm actually gonna get a chance at the cool pvp rewards without getting hosed by match fixers/having to pay to win/literally everything that was going on in ranking

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CJ posted:

It's mainly not being in the mood to do them. I think a big problem with them is it feels like the developers made them because they were obligated to rather than because they had a story to tell. So you have stuff like the Warrior quest being about a guy name Curious Gorge or characters in the Paladin quest saying it's stupid. If the people who wrote the story don't care about it why should the player? As for why i levelled it, i like doing the daily dungeon in a get home, turn your brain off and kill some enemies while watching YouTube way. I don't think DRK is horrible to play or anything, it's just really dull so there's no reason to play it in a situation where i can bring GNB or Warrior. It functions perfectly fine as a dungeon tank and i like tanking dungeons so why not level it? I actively dislike healing though, so i haven't touched that role other than levelling WHM to 60 or so to try it out, then passively levelling it to mid 80s through Frontline and Khloe books for the role quest.

If you want proof i'm not trolling then here i guess.

curious gorge loving owns and the stormblood war questline is the best questline in the loving game hands down

e: do you really think they didn't give a poo poo about the war storyline? lmao. the paladin quests do suck tho

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

:eng99: In my defense, newbies make weird mistakes and blastron doesn't post in here often enough for me to recognize their avatar.

CJ posted:

It's been a while but i'm pretty sure one of the last quests i did had the moogles do a funny dance and tell me the dark arts were actually the power of friendship or something. I don't think i'm missing out.

That sounds hilarious, actually, so I definitely feel like I'm missing out for having passed it over somehow. What quest is that?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bloody Emissary posted:

:eng99: In my defense, newbies make weird mistakes and blastron doesn't post in here often enough for me to recognize their avatar.

That sounds hilarious, actually, so I definitely feel like I'm missing out for having passed it over somehow. What quest is that?

It's part of the 50-60 DRK questline and it is very hilarious.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's also comic relief in a storyline that's otherwise very serious and grim, because sometimes you need that, you know?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The moogle quest is basically one blip of levity and it immediately heads into the 60 DRK quest, which is a pretty heavy finale to an already very dark storyline. And the Stormblood quests are some of the most emotionally heavy quests in the game while also feeling like a very personal story for the WoL.

Even if you buy a skip for DRK, NG+ the quests and remember to read the journal quest text, they're well worth it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Speaking of job quests that rock: GSM 50 involves a Lalafel launching himself and headbutting a dude square in the sternum, with a slow-mo shot of the guy's goofy loving face as he gets the everything knocked out of him.

It's loving great. 10/10

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Warmachine posted:

Speaking of job quests that rock: GSM 50 involves a Lalafel launching himself and headbutting a dude square in the sternum, with a slow-mo shot of the guy's goofy loving face as he gets the everything knocked out of him.

It's loving great. 10/10

Yeah this owned. I've been a fan of all the DOH quests tbh.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Warmachine posted:

It's loving great. 10/10

Almost as good as ARM 50 where Merlwyb up and shoots a couple of dudes just to prove who makes better armor, you or the guild's resident rear end in a top hat.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

I finished the Eden raids, and there’s so much in that that seemed MSQ relevant, to the point I’m baffled it’s sidelined in optional content. Not only is there a lot of scenes and information I wouldn’t want to have missed, but also a lot of character development and information gained that feels like it should have been touched upon during the MSQ. But if the trend holds from previous raid series, none of this stuff will be given the attention it merits during the MSQ, even where it would be relevant, which is rather disheartening.

If you ignore it, you just abandon Ryne on the first without much support or friends, so having a questline where we see her after 5.3’s events, and where we see her bond with someone her age helps a lot.

The rest of its plot relevance comes from the Ascians, of course. I expected the sundered Convocation members to have the personality of their sundered incarnation in charge, so to speak, just imbued with some of the memories and motivations of their unsundered self, but judging by Gaia, it looks like most of that new personality get erased and replaced by that of the original Convocation member. That makes Fandaniel’s divergent goal quite intriguing.

Of course, it’s also possible that Gaia’s case was atypical because Mitron was trying harder than normal to erase her new self in an attempt to erase the bond she forged outside of himself.

Finally, the reveal that the true name of those convocation members were Gaia and Artemis makes it likely every one of them is named after a Greek or Roman deity, which means Venat’s Japanese name wasn’t a coincidence (I wasn’t convinced when Hades was our only datapoint) and the localisation choice of not naming her Venus all the more annoying.

Oh, and what was up with the Shadowkeeper's form? I guess the wolf-like form is tied to the wargs in Lakeland (I vaguely remember some lore that they're transformed irredentist elves), but I kept expecting her to change form and reveal herself all fight long and it just never happened

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The thing with Venat's name is that it isn't actually Venus. Venat's name in Japanese is ヴェーネス, Venus is ビーナス.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

escape mechanism posted:

Finally, the reveal that the true name of those convocation members were Gaia and Artemis makes it likely every one of them is named after a Greek or Roman deity, which means Venat’s Japanese name wasn’t a coincidence (I wasn’t convinced when Hades was our only datapoint) and the localisation choice of not naming her Venus all the more annoying.
What coincidence? She's named after the XII character, ヴェーネス. She'd also be the only Roman deity name thus far if she was named ウェヌス.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hellioning posted:

The thing with Venat's name is that it isn't actually Venus. Venat's name in Japanese is ヴェーネス, Venus is ビーナス.

Should have translated her name as Benis.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Almost as good as ARM 50 where Merlwyb up and shoots a couple of dudes just to prove who makes better armor, you or the guild's resident rear end in a top hat.

Hell yeah! This one is next on my list after I finish CUL. Speaking of which...

Warmachine posted:

You may be able to go toe-to-toe with world ending threats, but can you cook a three course meal fit for the Sultana herself?

I posted this as a joke in the New Player thread. I wasn't expecting the CUL 50 quest to actually be make a meal for the Sultana.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

ImpAtom posted:

It is hilarious to picture most jobs without their 70.

Red Mage having to use only Verflare. BLM without Foul. SMN without Bahamut, MNK without Brotherhood, AST without Minor Arcana.

Now I want to see what happens when you touch SMN at 80+ when you don't have bahamut. Are you just never allowed to summon phoenix or do you always summon phoenix?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Warmachine posted:

Hell yeah! This one is next on my list after I finish CUL. Speaking of which...

I posted this as a joke in the New Player thread. I wasn't expecting the CUL 50 quest to actually be make a meal for the Sultana.

The L50 crafting quests go hard, to the point that the step down for the 51+ ones is actually jarring.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was thinking: the major rework of CM & Prae does signal that a story-mode Binding Coils isn't as far-fetched as it was before this was announced.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

LTW 60 where a guy shows off the advantages of the new armor by getting thrown around by a bear.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

blastron posted:

The L50 crafting quests go hard, to the point that the step down for the 51+ ones is actually jarring.

Admittedy, I can pick a nit about ARM 50: Ring/chainmail is TERRIBLE against bullets. Unless y'know, you like spalling I guess.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Fiye posted:

Now I want to see what happens when you touch SMN at 80+ when you don't have bahamut. Are you just never allowed to summon phoenix or do you always summon phoenix?

The wording of the Enhanced Summon Bahamut trait is "Upgrades Summon Bahamut to Summon Phoenix when Demi-Bahamut returns from summoning." Since that can't happen without using Summon Bahamut once, I assume you just keep using Dreadwyrm Trance.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Bruceski posted:

LTW 60 where a guy shows off the advantages of the new armor by getting thrown around by a bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEUOW7cERI

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CJ posted:

:dogbutton:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Speaking of job quests, I laughed at the BRD 60 quest where the real doomsday ballad was the friends we made along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
going to pretend the last few pages didn't happen and give this post way more effort than expected.

Thumbtacks posted:

i may possibly make a poor impulse decision and boost a tank to swap off DPS in my static, i'm sure this is ill advised

that being said. debating warrior or paladin, even though paladins are loving book reading nerds and warriors are cool there definitely seem to be some advantages to both and it's a close decision. warrior is cool and still fell cleaves a lot (although not as much as i would ahve hoped i think?) but also has a cooler weapon and a lot of self healing. i have no idea which tank has better utility, they'rep robably fairly equal i would guess
I have both paladin and warrior at 90, but I almost never play paladin because the rotation is more effort without enough payoff for me. I am a proud, smooth-brained warrior main.

tl;dr: paladin's have better party mitigation and mitigate a higher% of damage for both themselves and their co-tank but their rotation is more complicated, warriors have a 4 minute invuln and a lot more healing for themselves and their co-tank and is braindead easy to play.

I linked a mitigation comparison a few pages ago but for reference:

Before I get into the comparison itself: attacks check dodge > crit > block > parry in that order, dodge only applies in unsynced content, only trash and pre-ShB bosses crit (5% chance of 150% damage), in EW a paladin has a 30% chance to block any mitigatable attack and a successful block reduces the damage by 20% (block gives paladins the equivalent of about 5% of always-on DR over the other tanks), and all jobs have a 10% chance of parrying a physical attack which reduces the damage by 15%. You cannot block or parry while casting a spell. Damage mitigation is multiplicative, e.g. taking a 100 damage hit with two 10% damage reduction effects active is (100 * 0.9 * 0.9) = 81 damage.

Holmgang vs Hallowed Ground: 4 minute vs 7 minute invuln cooldown. Being able to survive a tank-killing mechanic every 4 minutes allows your group to plan to partially or completely ignore some mechanics. When progging a warrior with a quick holmgang finger can survive more frequent gently caress-ups and let you see more of the fight. Holmgang is the biggest advantage to warriors over paladins. Incidentally, you should probably usually use a macro to self-cast holmgang; you can always self-cast it but if you're targeting a mob when you press holmgang it will not fire if the mob is outside of the 6y range and if you root a mob with Holmgang the invuln ends early if that mob dies. The downside to any combat macro is that the server's haunted, macroed abilities don't queue, and you often need holmgang right NOW.

Paladin's have Passage of Arms: 100% block rate for you and 15% damage reduction for the party on a 2 minute cooldown is incredible and warrior has nothing comparable. The 15% damage reduction persists on affected party members for 5 seconds after the paladin stops using Passage. This is the biggest advantage to paladin.

Paladin's have Cover. Being able to occasionally save someone from death is great and warrior has nothing comparable. PSA: It also redirects debuffs and knockback.

Sentinel vs Vengeance: Vengeance is just better because it also does a 55 potency counter every time the warrior's hit while it's active and paladin's doesn't.

Inner Release: Not exactly mitigation, but it also provides immunity to stun, sleep, bind, heavy, and knockback and movement effects until the warrior has used all three charges. The knockback/movement immunity will sometimes give you extra uptime (e.g. p4n/p4s1) or save you from a lethal yeet.

Self healing: Warriors have Equilibrium (60 sec cd, 1200 potency heal+15 sec 200 potency HOT), Bloodwhetting (25 sec cd, 400 potency shield+400 potency heal per weaponskill hit in the next 8 seconds and heals crit if the attack crits, $texas healing if AOEing,), Thrill of Battle (90 sec cd, +20% health and 20% heal, increases all self-healing other than Bloodwhetting's by 20%), Shake It Off (90 sec, AOE 300 potency heal + 15-21% health shield) and a 250 potency heal on the 3 in their 1-2-3 combo. Paladins have healing from Holy Sheltron (1000 potency/use, can use approx every 25 seconds but they start with two 'charges' worth) and Holy Spirit (1600 potency/minute from Req), but Clemency is a GCD heal and a significant DPS loss if you could be hitting something. It's not even close.

Nascent Flash/Bloodwhetting vs Intervention/Holy Sheltron: Bloodwhetting and Nascent Flash give you or the target a 400 potency shield, Bloodwhetting heals you and Nascent Flash both you and the target for 400 per weaponskill hit you land in the next 8 seconds (good normally, better if you have Infuriate or IR available, insane if AOEing) but provide zero healing if you don't have something to hit. Meanwhile, Holy Sheltron and Intervention provide 1000 potency of healing over 12 seconds to you or only the target, respectively. Intervention and Nascent Flash provide the same baseline mitigation to the target (10% for 8 seconds+10% for 4 seconds (19% for 4 seconds)) but Intervention's goes up to 20% for 8 seconds+10% for 4 seconds(28% for 4 seconds) if the paladin uses it when Rampart or Sentinel are active. Bloodwhetting gives 10% DR for 8 seconds+10% for 4 seconds (19% for 4 seconds) while Holy Sheltron gives 20% DR for 8 seconds+15% for 4 seconds (32% for 4 seconds). What it boils down to is Nascent Flash & Bloodwhetting are better single-hit mitigation vs smaller hits but Intervention & Holy Sheltron are better vs the massive tankbusters in savage and Nascent Flash/Bloodwhetting give way more healing.

Divine Veil vs Shake it Off: Divine Veil is a 400 potency heal and a shield equal to 10% of the paladin's health for everyone other than the paladin, so at ilevel 580 (arbitrarily chosen) would be a 7.6k shield. Shake's shield depends on how each character's health is and how many buffs Shake is fed (0 to 3), so at ilevel 580 at least a 7.2/8.1/9.1/10k shield for casters & healers, 7.9/8.9/10/11k for phys ranged & melee, and 11.4/12.9/14.4/16k for tanks. Shake It Off applies instantly while Divine Veil doesn't trigger until someone hits you with a GCD heal (Holy Spirit/Circle counts) and Divine Veil has no effect on the paladin while Shake It Off effects the warrior, so it's a bonus self-mitigation button for warriors vs paladins. Veil is a 30 second buff that triggers a 30 second shield, so you can apply it way before a raidwide (or even pre-pull) and get value out of the shield.

The other major difference is the rotational complexity. Here's the paladin opener/rotation infographic from The Balance

and here's the warrior one

... yeah. and here's a screenshot of rDPS for P2S from fflogs.

Warrior is not just the easiest tank but hands-down the easiest job. No job has as small a difference between good and bad players as warrior. The warrior rotation is easy, flexible, and forgiving, allowing you to focus on fight mechanics, save gas for DPS checks, and not worry too much about fight timings. That is also the biggest knock on warrior: It's very boring if the fight's boring. The paladin rotation is significantly more complex (although like all tanks there are no procs or RNG anywhere in their rotation, limiting the complexity) and gives you lots of opportunities to screw up, but rewards planning around fight timings. If you look at P2S stats you'll notice that the worst paladins are worse than any other tank, but the best paladins are better than the best warriors.

Some minor things:
-Paladins have two or three more keybinds than warriors depending on if you count Shield Bash.
-Paladins use several AOE abilities in their single target rotation, warriors only have Primal Rend at 90. This is usually good.
-Warrior gap closer is a [EDIT] 30 second cooldown with 3 charges + Primal Rend every 60 seconds, paladin is an EDIT 30 second cooldown with 2 charges. They're mostly used as oGCD attacks, but every so often warriors get an opportunity to zip about like angry assholes. Also warriors get theirs at 62 and paladins at 72 which is grating when downsynced.
-Warriors are the kings of soloing old and new content. It's not just the self-healing but the shields from shake it off and bloodwhetting are necessary to deal with some mechanics.
-Warriors are better than paladins (or any other tank really) in Eureka and Bozja - especially Eureka.
-Warriors stat priority is crit > det > ten, the other three tanks all use crit > sksp target > dh > det. A warrior using a DRK/GNB/PLD-optimized gear set eats about a ~1% DPS loss but a DRK/GNB/PLD using a WAR-optimized set might take a significantly larger DPS hit depending on skill speed and ping.
-Glams: IMO they're a wash, like the HW paladin relics are as striking as any axe glam.

edit: inexplicably brainfarted on cooldowns of paladin and warrior gap closers.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 9, 2022