Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Pollyanna posted:

Is it just me, or is it really arbitrary when you can and can't dodge a boss's attack? I'm on Valiant Gargoyles and not only do their attacks have huge AOEs, but there's absolutely no clue as to which way you're supposed to doge and the lock-on camera sure as gently caress doesn't help.

Also, is blocking ever effective against bosses? They just devolve to Dark Souls 1 rolling as far as I can tell.

blocking slowly starts to fall off for the late game actually-unique bosses, but still effective against the slower ones throughout. even if you get stamina broken so long as it was the boss's last hit it just means you lose your turn. great shields lose less stamina so hardy strength boys can take until their play style is ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Orv posted:

It should wait to respond to actions so they can do anything they want for free.

I mean it is pretty goofy for games to have enemies specifically react the exact same every time with their X move that fucks the players Y action.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Is it just me, or is it really arbitrary when you can and can't dodge a boss's attack? I'm on Valiant Gargoyles and not only do their attacks have huge AOEs, but there's absolutely no clue as to which way you're supposed to doge and the lock-on camera sure as gently caress doesn't help.

Also, is blocking ever effective against bosses? They just devolve to Dark Souls 1 rolling as far as I can tell.

I find with multiple enemy bosses it’s best not to lock on, it helps keep the camera in check.

Blocking can work but you’ll need a greatshield, the Barricade ash of war, or ideally both. A greatshield with Barricade applied can block an insane amount of stuff. Otherwise your shield is mostly there to panic block like one attack before you need to get dodging.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Uh, you should've gotten runes. Are you sure they weren't sitting in a part of the arena and need to be picked up? You're probably long past that by now but still

Idk man. It was perfect timing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

I mean it is pretty goofy for games to have enemies specifically react the exact same every time with their X move that fucks the players Y action.

Yeah that's how video games work? Do the thing that isn't going to get hosed over. Don't drink without enough range to dodge the fireball after.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I whipped out a shield for the apostle and it was a lot easier for me than rolling.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Willfrey posted:

pretty sure you need the haligtree medallion to trigger it, or beat the boss in that area. My first playthrough i missed that questline completely and Ensha never attacked me.

I've definitely had Ensha come after me way before even stepping foot into Liurna to get the first half. Not really sure what the trigger is literally could just be an RNG thing.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Diallos isn't there for Gideon. Exhausting his dialog shows he's just kind of a rube- they told him he could soak himself in blood to become a champion and he took them up on it, and as the questline progresses he admits that he was an idiot that they played like a fiddle. No idea where he goes after that, I'm pretty sure the last target they give you is his brother? or some other Hoslow and he just ditches

Possible cut-content spoilers I ended up looking up some stuff on Diallos cus I couldn't find him anywhere after the Manor, and no one knows where he goes. There is data-mined audio from the network test that involves him decided to watch over a village of peaceful jars called Jarsburg (south of Caria study hall, look for stepping stones down a cliff) but at this point no one knows how to trigger it so it's possible it got cut

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

I think its good that the game can be predictable that way. Maybe the better option would be more closer/punishment options for the boss instead of the one move.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Seriously though, this skill is really strong and available really early. If you like blocking, stick this on the fattest shield you can find and have a good time: https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Barricade+Shield

It won’t let you tank through literally everything and it does cost FP to activate, but it still makes a huge difference.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Gamerofthegame posted:

blocking slowly starts to fall off for the late game actually-unique bosses, but still effective against the slower ones throughout. even if you get stamina broken so long as it was the boss's last hit it just means you lose your turn. great shields lose less stamina so hardy strength boys can take until their play style is ignored
there is no point at which blocking falls off. with barricade you can hit huge stability on medium shields and literally maxed out stability on greatshields, aka "lose actually no stam when blocking"

e: beaten but the point still stands

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Orv posted:

It should wait to respond to actions so they can do anything they want for free.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you wait until foreskin apostle throws fireball, then dodge it(or just sprint sideways so it misses), drinking a flask is guaranteed to be safe btw lol

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

the feel i've had from godrick onwards is that the best approach to the fight is dodge towards the bosses like 80% of the time, a ton of stuff seems designed to induce panic rolling escapes and their attack strings and made for catching panic rolls, staying aggressive and just learning what signals aoes does a lot

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Willfrey posted:

I never got captured by the manor though in the other trapped chest situations you have to find another site of grace before you're allowed to teleport

This isn't a trapped chest, if you ride the lift in the Raya Hogwart church/graveyard down to the bottom and get killed by the Abductor down there, it actually abducts you to a spot in Volcano Manor, and if you go where the game leads you it puts you up against a boss fight with two of them and it's awful.

I tried to just leave at the other grace which is near to that fight, but at first it seemed like it wasn't letting me. I am not sure what happened but I am really glad to be the gently caress away from that fight.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tumble posted:

This isn't a trapped chest, if you ride the lift in the Raya Hogwart church/graveyard down to the bottom and get killed by the Abductor down there, it actually abducts you to a spot in Volcano Manor, and if you go where the game leads you it puts you up against a boss fight with two of them and it's awful.

I tried to just leave at the other grace which is near to that fight, but at first it seemed like it wasn't letting me. I am not sure what happened but I am really glad to be the gently caress away from that fight.

Do you think if I've killed the area boss there that I can still do the abduction adventure?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Oxxidation posted:

the frenzied flame works by line-of-sight (like the deformed brain in nightmare of mensis) and there's a conveniently-placed rock formation nearby that you can hide behind. bait the rats over to the rocks, kill them while taking cover from the flame, and then dash to the tower and exorcise it

I know I just get stuck in the floor of the tower with the rat bois.

Amazing how the mobs scale or my armor does nothing to help me fight them off survive for 2 seconds. Can't climb the ladder quick enough.

e: Maybe my new pizza cutter

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do I need to beat the draconic tree sentinel to get inside of the capital?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
you can hit L3 to sort items in your inventory by recently acquired?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

People are saying theres some other way but as far as I was able to discern I had to.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

veni veni veni posted:

yep, fog gate drops when you kill him

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Ghosthotel posted:

I've definitely had Ensha come after me way before even stepping foot into Liurna to get the first half. Not really sure what the trigger is literally could just be an RNG thing.

Possible cut-content spoilers I ended up looking up some stuff on Diallos cus I couldn't find him anywhere after the Manor, and no one knows where he goes. There is data-mined audio from the network test that involves him decided to watch over a village of peaceful jars called Jarsburg (south of Caria study hall, look for stepping stones down a cliff) but at this point no one knows how to trigger it so it's possible it got cut

I keep reading about stuff that was supposedly cut like that and I hope it's just really obscure instead. I can think of at least a half dozen NPCs that just vanish or obviously have something more going on, there's just no way to make it happen that I can tell.

I kept popping back to Jarburg every so often, just because it's such a strange spot. No way to use Alexander's Innards, no NPCs, just some not-entirely hostile pots...

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Network isn't working so I'm playing offline for a change and I swear I like it more like this.

A little easier to get swept up in the world without the constant barrage of stupid repeated jokes plastered all over everything.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

SHISHKABOB posted:

Do you think if I've killed the area boss there that I can still do the abduction adventure?

I just did the basement abduction and I had cleared out the academy long ago.

Bear in mind it is a death and you will drop your cash down there before you get whisked away.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tarezax posted:

Resting at a grace removes the "imprisoned" status

But if you're inside a dungeon where you haven't killed the boss, you still can't warp until you either kill the boss or walk out into open air again.
And the exit from the dungeon is past that duo boss

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

But if you're inside a dungeon where you haven't killed the boss, you still can't warp until you either kill the boss or walk out into open air again.

It doesn't seem to count as a dungeon, I definitely got captured and warped outta there without killing the bosses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Oxxidation posted:

they resemble albinaurics so i guess whoever was creating those freaky homunculi got a little too creative with the alembic

Is that what Albinaurics are? Oh god that makes sense considering the mimics were attempts to make synthetic life/lords. I was wondering what their entire deal was, especially since the big lump headed cartwheeling ones are referred to as second generation Albinaurics. Anyway the boss version of those horrible screamy things are called royal specters or something like that.

hazardousmouse posted:

ahahahaha oh no! A painting led me down a falling puzzle that earned me Radhan's arrow rain but there's a giant golem with a special glowing blue staff that fuckin whupped my rear end

How do you get there? I've tried everything but I can't seem to find that painting spot or get down to that ledge.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

I keep reading about stuff that was supposedly cut like that and I hope it's just really obscure instead. I can think of at least a half dozen NPCs that just vanish or obviously have something more going on, there's just no way to make it happen that I can tell.

I kept popping back to Jarburg every so often, just because it's such a strange spot. No way to use Alexander's Innards, no NPCs, just some not-entirely hostile pots...

Yeah people found an alternative ending for boc's questline where the solution is to use one the prattling pate "You're beautiful" item when he starts thinking about being reborn. That is a wildly obscure way to end that quest and I'm hoping more of that gets discovered as time goes on

Retro Hippy
Feb 8, 2022

Orv posted:

It does feel gamey to me that a boss will do nothing for 5 seconds except loom menacingly but the exact instant you press the R1 button the boss will start an attack and generally this attack will come out faster than yours and interrupt you. It's noticeable this is programmed behavior because in duo fights the bosses will sync up. It ends up leading to melee feeling very reactive because it means you have to wait for the two second window that the boss will allow you to hit it in instead of being able to take initiative. This is complaint #27 out of 100 that I have about melee in this game,

Gripes about the bosses aside I'm probably going to start a replay of this game soon, there are just too many builds I'm excited to try out.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Setting both slots of my Wondrous Physick potion to Ruptured Crystal Tear was only doing about 50% of my max HP, but by undergoing rebirth and setting my vitality back to the base 10 I can instakill myself by drinking it. This will be important for multiplayer reasons.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

:five:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Retro Hippy posted:

It does feel gamey to me that a boss will do nothing for 5 seconds except loom menacingly but the exact instant you press the R1 button the boss will start an attack and generally this attack will come out faster than yours and interrupt you. It's noticeable this is programmed behavior because in duo fights the bosses will sync up. It ends up leading to melee feeling very reactive because it means you have to wait for the two second window that the boss will allow you to hit it in instead of being able to take initiative. This is complaint #27 out of 100 that I have about melee in this game,

Gripes about the bosses aside I'm probably going to start a replay of this game soon, there are just too many builds I'm excited to try out.

It's like I'm really fighting other players!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

SHISHKABOB posted:

If you didn't kill the Abductor bosses in the lava cave I would assume you can go on a thrilling underground adventure, yea. Or if you meant something in Raya that is also a yes because I had beaten that boss already too.

Spend yo' bucks tho, it is a death so you drop your runes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Retro Hippy posted:

If you never have anything other than a two second window every so often you are doing it wrong.

E: Granted two notable exceptions; Duo and Crucible Knight Two Electric Boogaloo.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Retro Hippy posted:

My other favorite dickhole AI behavior is when you get down to 10 or 5% health and the AI kicks into turbofucker mode and mobs just start chasing you to the end of the earth.

Nuebot posted:

It's like I'm really fighting other players!

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Somehow invasions are more stable than coop. I think I have had one case today of invasions just not connecting and that was before it actually invaded. Coop is get in for about 1 minute, watch it progressively lag more and more and then dc. I dream of a from game that has actually functional netcode

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

You may be able to bypass it but if you can it requires going *boss order* Radahn->Mimic Tear->Gargoyle Duo->Shulva Ganksquad 2.0 which is not really much better

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Valdent posted:

Somehow invasions are more stable than coop. I think I have had one case today of invasions just not connecting and that was before it actually invaded. Coop is get in for about 1 minute, watch it progressively lag more and more and then dc. I dream of a from game that has actually functional netcode

it probably needs to be in co-op for a certain amount of time before you can invade so that makes sense

given the amount of times I show up in starting rooms I don't think it's very long tho

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

https://streamable.com/33609o

The input reading in this game is something else

lol

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can open the map while resting at a site of grace and fast travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Perfect Potato posted:

You may be able to bypass it but if you can it requires going *boss order* Radahn->Mimic Tear->Gargoyle Duo->Shulva Ganksquad 2.0 which is not really much better

i thought that last fight was a total pushover compared to the rest, but i watched a streamer play that section and the first time they attempted it, the two mook invaders in the last wave both had moonveils, lmao