Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Also I'm probably not the only person who doesn't agree with the consensus that BOTW is better, much less obviously better, than HZD (and personally, I don't think it's even the second best open world game of 2017).

I'm with you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah - I enjoy BotW and think it's a great game, but I don't really understand people who are just like "I'm so excited to explore every nook and cranny" and consider it the pinnacle of all open world games.

I feel like this game should have done more with human vs human combat. They give you all this wild melee stuff, but fighting rebels in melee is always trivially easy and the ranged ones you can just keep running around while periodically doing concentrated arrow shots.

Giant Ethicist posted:

If you make a job out of it, the game will direct you on the map to Greenshine of the type you need, and (at least in my experience) it won't be locked behind firegleam / vines / deep water. It might be on the top of a mountain guarded by a Stormbird, but it will at least show you where some is that you can walk or climb to.

(Also, once you can swim, sunken caves tend to have a lot of it.)

Edit: I, too, missed that someone had already mentioned this.

Thanks for mentioning this, since I wasn't aware of it.

Hollismason posted:

Cool got a quest that gave me a drilbit spike thrower and I upgraded it fully with green shine that I had that I have just been saving. Now I loaded up with two coils and it does 200 damage of explosive power.

gently caress Yea.

I think I just got this last night. I'm pretty eager to try it out.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I love HZD and BotW about the same for entirely different reasons, and I'm glad HFW has a paraglider (even if it's less meant for horizontal traversal, it's still fun)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like this game should have done more with human vs human combat. They give you all this wild melee stuff, but fighting rebels in melee is always trivially easy and the ranged ones you can just keep running around while periodically doing concentrated arrow shots.

I love FW but the one thing that completely puzzles me is why have all these melee moves but no blocking? Just give me a simple block move. I hardly engage in melee combat because it just feels so stupid to have a guy telegraph a swing and you can't block but have to roll away. Completely breaks the "melee flow".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Made a couple optimizations to my Tenakth Tactician set, here's Aloy taking down an APEX Tremortusk in the span of about 10 seconds with Rank 3 Powershot. There's an even cheesier version of this build that uses the Cloak valor surge from the Infiltrator tree and 25% Stealth Damage coils to one-shot any machine in the game, but you lose out on the free ammo refill and any followup if you're spotted too soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LynhFr4LuAU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
If I turn this game to easy loot will I miss out on any achievements?

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Talorat posted:

If I turn this game to easy loot will I miss out on any achievements?

Nope, no trophies are tied to accessibility or difficulty options.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Psycho Mantits posted:

Nope, no trophies are tied to accessibility or difficulty options.
TLOU2 did this too and it's such a good decision. I can tweak difficulty however I want any time I want throughout the game without missing anything (even as minor as a trophy).

Megera posted:

I love HZD and BotW about the same for entirely different reasons, and I'm glad HFW has a paraglider (even if it's less meant for horizontal traversal, it's still fun)
While I don't think all of BOTW's design decisions would work well translated over to Horizon, this is one I'm glad they did. Expanding the elemental system to include things like setting grass on fire or using shock on water is another that I think could be fun to bring into Horizon 3 as well.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Lord Hydronium posted:

TLOU2 did this too and it's such a good decision. I can tweak difficulty however I want any time I want throughout the game without missing anything (even as minor as a trophy).

Apparently this is mandated direction from Sony for all their first party releases: focusing on accessibility as a foundational aspect of the game design, rather than just slapping superficial stuff like subtitles and color blind modes on after the game is complete. Even something younger focused like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart had a crazy amount of accessibility tweaks to difficulty and gameplay mechanics you could do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just did Caldron Iota , bad rear end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I have a raptor mount, now (the same one I mentioned soloing two other raptors - he proved himself worthy). Mixed about this. On one hand, it's far easier to control and attack with*. On the other hand, it's not a big hog, which is almost a deal-breaker by itself. I think it also might be somewhat slower than the other mounts? Not sure about that.

edit: One thing I like is how the PS5's haptic feedback stuff feels different with each mount type. The controller is probably the best thing about this console - the haptic feedback stuff is so cool when games actually make use of it properly.

* I feel like someone mentioned the raptor having a ranged attack, but neither his R1 or R2 do a ranged attack. Does it vary by elemental type?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Fire/Acid Clawstriders have a ranged attack they'll do on their own, but unfortunately you cannot use them while mounted. Hopefully Guerrilla changes this because with a full Machine Master loadout I've seen the raptor fireballs one-shot everything up to Bristleback on Very Hard.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Klungar posted:

Apparently this is mandated direction from Sony for all their first party releases: focusing on accessibility as a foundational aspect of the game design, rather than just slapping superficial stuff like subtitles and color blind modes on after the game is complete. Even something younger focused like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart had a crazy amount of accessibility tweaks to difficulty and gameplay mechanics you could do.

Honestly good on them. I like achievements for difficulty but I definitely don’t mind losing them in the name of keeping games accessible to all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Haha gently caress you mission In the Valley that includes fighting a Thunderjaw and a Robotic mammoth. I'm setting your difficulty to Story mode.

Sometimes you just have to set the game to Story mode and fire off Spike throwers and braced shots.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just got really confused and thought I had encountered a bug while doing a mass upgrade on one of my weapons because the game wasn't letting me upgrade it even though I had all the parts

...then I realized I was out of shards. I did not expect this to happen. Hopefully I have a bunch of stuff that's effectively worthless to sell so I can finish everything I had planned on upgrading.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
After 37 hours I'm finally getting to one of the main missions. I've done all these side quests and I don't see any new ones popping up. I still got some more stuff to do , mainly side quest stuff like Ruins etc.. but I wanna advance the plot a little.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Hollismason posted:

Haha gently caress you mission In the Valley that includes fighting a Thunderjaw and a Robotic mammoth. I'm setting your difficulty to Story mode.

Sometimes you just have to set the game to Story mode and fire off Spike throwers and braced shots.

if this is the one im thinking of, you can alternately squat on top of the horus skeleton they're under and just plink at them from afar. at a certain range the machines can't see you and they'll just stand around confused since they can't path up into the sky to get close enough to attack.

cheese strats are great fun when the opportunity presents itself

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Gauntlet run seems very RNG based, I won the first and final races on my first try but got stuck on the second and third for a while depending on how good the start was and how often aloy decided to swing at the direction of her opponent or the empty air and how often it devolved into a big pile up cluster gently caress towards the end, I don't even use the weapon type it rewards

E: ALSO IT UNEQUIPS YOUR VALOR SKILL AND DEPLETES YOUR VALOR BAR, I HAD TO SILENT STRIKE KILL LIKE 9 CHARGERS FOR THAT

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 9, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Loving the game but gently caress me I've died so many times trying to select something from my bottom inventory during a fight. Where did my smoke bombs go? Where are My healing potions wtf

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Loving the game but gently caress me I've died so many times trying to select something from my bottom inventory during a fight. Where did my smoke bombs go? Where are My healing potions wtf

If you hold down on the D-Pad you can configure exactly what appears on your item bar. Hit square to swap out something else or just dump the excess in your stash.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One weird part about customizing the d-pad tool menu is that the food item you get from the story (the Chainscrape guy) can't be moved to any other position.

But yeah, other than that you can customize it. I swap things out all the time based on how much of each thing I have left and always put each type of thing in order of weakest to strongest.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Why is the close range damage mods incompatible with the warrior bows, seems like they're made for them

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've been playing sporadically and still really enjoying the game. Biggest gripe is that they desperately needed an editor for the script. I'd say 30% of the dialogue could be wiped and no one would notice. And when you throw in how slow everyone talks and all the pauses, I've just gone ahead and skipped most of the dialogue outside of the main missions.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is it me or are there way more weapons in this one? I just did the first hunting grounds and now have 3 bows to do the 4 types of damage (normal+acid, acid+fire, shock). Seems crazy especially if I need to upgrade them all

Also how do I save the drowning miners for the level 5 mission. They're somehow alive still but I thought I needed a tool I don't have to help them

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 9, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

...then I realized I was out of shards. I did not expect this to happen. Hopefully I have a bunch of stuff that's effectively worthless to sell so I can finish everything I had planned on upgrading.

update on this I realized I probably do not need 250 large, medium, or small machine cores anymore and now have eight fully upgraded legendaries (six weapons two armors) and about 5k shards left over. I sold a bunch of other upgrade materials as well but I either know I don't need them or if I do they're from really easily farmed stuff.

mastershakeman posted:

Also how do I save the drowning miners for the level 5 mission. They're somehow alive still but I thought I needed a tool I don't have to help them

you can do this one without any tools, you gotta find a way to get to the bomb cart. If Aloy says something about needing another tool it's for something else (probably just a resource crate or Greenshine stuck somewhere)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mastershakeman posted:

Is it me or are there way more weapons in this one? I just did the first hunting grounds and now have 3 bows to do the 4 types of damage (normal+acid, acid+fire, shock). Seems crazy especially if I need to upgrade them all

More than just four. But there are lots of weapon options, yeah. Weapons will have different damage and status combinations plus unique combinations of perks, and I haven't quite confirmed yet but some weapons have flavour text that suggest other benefits.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Finished the main story tonight and still have loads of side quests and other things left to do so it'll keep me occupied for a while now.

I liked the story, but it was a slog getting through portions of it.

Finished it with purple armor that only had 1 upgrade because I couldn't be bothered to get whatever it needed to upgrade.
My go to weapon was the spike I got from a quest that has the drill and exploding ammo.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Lobok posted:

More than just four. But there are lots of weapon options, yeah. Weapons will have different damage and status combinations plus unique combinations of perks, and I haven't quite confirmed yet but some weapons have flavour text that suggest other benefits.
The flavor text for weapons just details the perks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lord Hydronium posted:

The flavor text for weapons just details the perks.

I assumed that at first but I thought I saw one the other day that mentioned something that wasn't reflected in the rest of the stats.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Soonmot posted:

The item/trap select interface is super bad. I deliberately limit the number of things I include in it (you can configure it, in case you're not aware), but even that's awkward because you have this giant wheel with all these empty spaces.

I'll usually just put the 2-3 things I might actually use during combat (like 1 or 2 potions + a relevant trap type) next to each other.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ytlaya posted:

The item/trap select interface is super bad. I deliberately limit the number of things I include in it (you can configure it, in case you're not aware), but even that's awkward because you have this giant wheel with all these empty spaces.

I'll usually just put the 2-3 things I might actually use during combat (like 1 or 2 potions + a relevant trap type) next to each other.

I think it really should've been a radial menu like weapon selection.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ytlaya posted:

There are only spaces visible while you're configuring it. The spaces disappear when the wheel is in use. So you can configure it with empty placeholders if you want and it won't mean additional scrolling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

The Fire/Acid Clawstriders have a ranged attack they'll do on their own, but unfortunately you cannot use them while mounted. Hopefully Guerrilla changes this because with a full Machine Master loadout I've seen the raptor fireballs one-shot everything up to Bristleback on Very Hard.

I found this out while attacking a rebel base just now. He launched these three acid bombs from really far away and proceeded to just wreck everyone. I'm pretty sure he could have solo'd the entire base on his own if I had left him to it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This game gives you a tremendous amount of skill points. I'm at level 34 I have filled out the hunter tree, most of the warrior , and most of the stealth, and now I have 64 skill points to fill.

Honestly don't know what to pick now.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

After playing Elden Ring for a ton of hours I think Horizon 3 could do with this kind of exploration system: getting a very detail map that doesn't guide you and let you go out and explore. The world of Horizon is so amazing and each game, especially Forbidden West, has meticulously crafted world that it is almost a shame to hunt after activities while letting this world pass you by. Elden Ring suffers from bloat too and the BOTW problem of "this world is too big and not that interesting to explore". A lot of copy and paste ruins and other things you start to notice after hour five. But discovering stuff and exploring these things, despite some of them not being wholly unique, is really cool and fun

Just imagine doing a tallneck override and looking at the map or seeing some old world ruins in the distance. Put a marker there and go off exploring. I think the Horizon team has the design chops to make a very visible map with all kinds of fun and unique landmarks that'd make this kind of open world people are making GBS threads their pants over something really special. Like I said in my long-winded text dump of a post earlier in the thread, I think they kinda gotta do something different for the next game. This game is excellent and feels like a warm, comfortable blanket design-wise but I think they should go in more interesting directions for the third. Take some chances. It's a mega franchise now and it has an audience that will buy it. I say they should leverage that and take some chances.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it really should've been a radial menu like weapon selection.
In that vein, one of the things on my wishlist for Horizon 3 is to have multiple weapon wheels you can switch between, like Assassin's Creed Odyssey does with abilities. I have so many fun looking weapons that I don't have equipped because I need all six slots to have all the elemental types.

I've wrapped up the couple of quests I wanted to get done before the endgame including all the personal missions except Erend's (only have two rebel camps cleared), so now the final mission awaits. :hellyeah:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jimbot posted:

After playing Elden Ring for a ton of hours I think Horizon 3 could do with this kind of exploration system: getting a very detail map that doesn't guide you and let you go out and explore.

Isn't there an option to do this

Hollismason posted:

I just started grabbing all the passives when this happened to me, as well as one skill for each weapon

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hollismason posted:

This game gives you a tremendous amount of skill points. I'm at level 34 I have filled out the hunter tree, most of the warrior , and most of the stealth, and now I have 64 skill points to fill.

Machine tree is fun because it's fun watching buffed overridden machines go wild.

Also some convenient stuff in traps, like increasing food buff time and making traps fast to use.

edit: Speaking of overridden machines, make sure that you don't set your mount to Aggressive (once you get the ability to override machines as either Defensive or Aggressive). My Acid Clawstrider just ran off and attacked some Thunderjaw that was super far away. He is dead now. Aggressive is usually best when you're just overriding things to fight, though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hollismason posted:

IIRC I did the correct and proper thing and overrode the Thunderjaw to fight the other one for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

New patch today, the goon who had the problem finishing the Devil's Grasp rebel camp should check it out:

quote:

Fixed an issue in Regalla Camp Devil’s Grasp where enemies may not respawn after reloading a save game during the “Kill the Rebel Leader” objective.