Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MasterBuilder posted:

The best improvement they made was gaining heals after beating a pack of enemies. Minimizes downtime and keeps the exploration train going.

It also adds a lot more freedom in playing with skills/spells, as you can just take a single blue flask and let packs recharge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think I missed something, but I just noticed that in some cases when I die I actually permanently lose runes? As in the amount I pick up is less than the amount I had when I died. Is this because I was in the map as opposed to a dungeon?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Is katana/longbow samurai a viable build to finish the game with if I suck at souls games? I'm overlevelled and still struggling a bit in the early game and contemplating starting again but I'm worried I'll just hit the same walls and that my time might be better spent just eating poo poo over and over until I get the hang of it if there isn't a specific build that is a much more suitable easy mode

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

That is a thing in stormveil and you can get those runes back

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

queeb posted:

That is a thing in stormveil and you can get those runes back

Well, I am having this happen in Liurna so I think you need to be a bit more specific.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Unlucky7 posted:

I think I missed something, but I just noticed that in some cases when I die I actually permanently lose runes? As in the amount I pick up is less than the amount I had when I died. Is this because I was in the map as opposed to a dungeon?

If it's stormveil castle, there is a reason.
Hint a helpful friend is taking his cut
Spoiler the guy that told you not to go through the front gate

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I really have to say, I'm not a fan of the way invasions shook out in this game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MasterBuilder posted:

Ah, there we go.

I suppose I ought to go back and murk him? Any negative consequence for that?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh hey I found the end of that endgame area.

Not even Hoarfrost Stomp spamming is gonna save me from this is it?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Is katana/longbow samurai a viable build to finish the game with if I suck at souls games? I'm overlevelled and still struggling a bit in the early game and contemplating starting again but I'm worried I'll just hit the same walls and that my time might be better spent just eating poo poo over and over until I get the hang of it if there isn't a specific build that is a much more suitable easy mode

I started samurai and still have my longbow. Only switched from my katana because I have weapon ADHD.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Ah, there we go.

I suppose I ought to go back and murk him? Any negative consequence for that?

As far as we currently know, it's perfectly fine to do. However datamining has found dialogue from him related to the Nepehli Loux and Kenneth Haight questline(s), and currently nobody is sure if these quests' ending is bugged to not activate, intentionally cut content, or just incredibly obscure.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Okay you know what that's a cool rear end boss down there but that's clearly an optional super masochism boss so how about I just go follow the guidance of grace again. : )

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Summoning Alexander to continue his quest line meant fighting Fire Giant on foot and I never want to do that again. That concludes my do-all-the-sidequests portion of the run, which I also never want to do again.

Edit: Some things have been bugging me about weapon arts...

1. Does upgrading the weapon upgrade the art? Like will Sword of Night and Flame deal more damage with its signature weapon art when upgraded? If so, does this apply to imbued arts as well?

2. Do WAs scale with stats, and is there any way to see that? Would Sword of Night and Flame (or possibly other stuff... but it's my point of reference) scale with both Int and Fai for both attacks or is it split with Int on R1 and Fai on R2?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh hey I found the end of that endgame area.

Not even Hoarfrost Stomp spamming is gonna save me from this is it?

If it's that area, being the optional hellboss, frost is surprisingly effective and so is stance breaking. So... maybe you'll be ok?

Mailer fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 9, 2022

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

It's not just in Stormveil. That fucker was stealing my runes in Liurnia and Caelid, too. Thankfully I didn't lose too many before going back to murder him.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Can anyone tell me where to find the horseback black knight miniboss guy outside of Castle Morne in the Peninsula? I bumped into him earlier and proceeded to die and can't find him again.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride
I was somehow certain that I would find an int scaling bow at some point, Fromsoft seems to love them, but i got played.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So many multiplayer mooks running around with the feather helmet and giant double curved swords and purple magic poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

Can anyone tell me where to find the horseback black knight miniboss guy outside of Castle Morne in the Peninsula? I bumped into him earlier and proceeded to die and can't find him again.

pass time at the site of grace until nightfall and then check

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

Vermain posted:

pass time at the site of grace until nightfall and then check

Thank you!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
So atonement doesn’t work for Beast Sanctum guy apparently?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Filthy Haiku posted:

I was somehow certain that I would find an int scaling bow at some point, Fromsoft seems to love them, but i got played.

I could've sworn the horn bow fit this criteron, but looking back at it apparently it has an int requirement but 0 int scaling... how odd.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

He goes kinda crazy after 4 death things and you gotta put him in his place

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That area with all the sitting albunurics in the blood hell area is just precision designed for farming. I swear to god if they nerf that area I will lose my loving mind. Just racked up probably 500k in a matter of minutes and ran around buying literally every limited merchant item so I can read it all whenever I want and then spent the rest stocking up smith stones 1-4 so I can get any number of +12 weapons I want. Can do the same later and just play around with getting literally everything just 1 rank below max (so probably good enough). Don't want to use it to level up, it feels a bit too cheap but I really want to play around with all the equipment I have.

Level 67, 16 str and 22 dex using the +5 Hoarfrost axe, the weapon art basically erases entire groups. You could probably get access to that area immediately after you beat Stormveil if you are good enough to take down the one major invader in that side quest (unless you don't have to?) and go from ~30s to ~100s in a under an hour.

It's even crazier that you can get that axe like 15 minutes from the start of the game and just get enough somber stones from exploring the overworld areas.

Also fwiw the Wyndham Catacombs are comically easy with some lightning defense and the boss gives you the bell bearing for the first 3 ranks of Grave Glovewort and they are insanely cheap to purchase. Same place also has a 4 and 5 grave glovewort so you can get a high summon pretty quick.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
94 hours in this game and i /just/ found out melina will show up to give cryptic backstory bits at certain sites of grace, usually churches and that's so far the only place that explained what tarnished are even a little bit

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wellwinds posted:

94 hours in this game and i /just/ found out melina will show up to give cryptic backstory bits at certain sites of grace, usually churches and that's so far the only place that explained what tarnished are even a little bit

is it static, timed or some other weirdness? Because I know this happens but always forget to rest at new grace points when I find them because I'm busy exploring.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i just wish that the Blood Zone was a tad less awkward to enter early. i have very little interest for invasions so i simply plop my 3 down in areas very close by to ledges and then speed run leap off them, probably greatly confusing the host

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Wellwinds posted:

Sometimes she just shows up as a "talk to melina" menu option right above "leave" in the grace menu. So if you don't notice or just mash b to back out of it you'll miss out on dialog.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

queeb posted:

He goes kinda crazy after 4 death things and you gotta put him in his place

Oh so this was intentional I thought he just wigged out because I tried beast roar in the far corner from him.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

pentyne posted:

is it static, timed or some other weirdness? Because I know this happens but always forget to rest at new grace points when I find them because I'm busy exploring.

looks like they're static, i got the same result at the 3rd church of marika as a guy i was watching on stream who was much earlier in the game

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Sometimes she just shows up as a "talk to melina" menu option right above "leave" in the grace menu. So if you don't notice or just mash b to back out of it you'll miss out on dialog.

i tend to activate graces and move on without resting at them a lot so i've probably missed a bunch

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride
I keep trying out new weapon combos and falling in love with them only to realize I have no upgrade stones left. I can only buy up to +6 :negative:

Dual whip, mainhanding the Urumi is insane. Especially with the charged R2 attack which is the longest poke I've ever seen.

Edit: and I hosed up by killing Rykard, ending the volcano questline before I could get the cool whip from them.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Is there a Goon Elder Ring password?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

RadicalTranslation posted:

Is there a Goon Elder Ring password?

lljk/LLJK

passwords are case sensitive I guess so just do both

Sockser posted:

Nepheli: WHERE THE gently caress IS SHE. She showed up in the hold at one point, cool, talked to her, she's not there anymore. She's not in Stormveil, because I cleared Stormveil. She's not under the Aurelic village bridge (assuming I'm looking at the right spot) (I also cleared the village) She's not downstairs in the hold. I don't think I killed her at any point

She showed up at Aurelic village. Where she's supposed to be, where I checked 3 times. I have to assume this was a bug of some sort.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 9, 2022

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Filthy Haiku posted:

I keep trying out new weapon combos and falling in love with them only to realize I have no upgrade stones left. I can only buy up to +6 :negative:

Dual whip, mainhanding the Urumi is insane. Especially with the charged R2 attack which is the longest poke I've ever seen.

Edit: and I hosed up by killing Rykard, ending the volcano questline before I could get the cool whip from them.

Yes!!! Whips are great in this game.

There's a similar whip to that one with bleed on it available later as an enemy drop later, iirc. Or maybe it's a treasure in some obscure corner of the map, hell if I remember.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

MasterBuilder posted:

Do you know if there's anything in the game that hints at this or did someone just figure it out and word spread?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Do the passwords also apply to Invading? If so, which one of you is pig? Had an interesting series of battles tonight. When I saw that their weapon prevents flask use after a few hits I knew I just had to go for it, thankfully they had no Vigor

first battle
second battle
third battle

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Normy posted:

Do you know if there's anything in the game that hints at this or did someone just figure it out and word spread?

That data mine spoiler also makes me hesitant to do it, though who am I kidding I probably wasn’t completing all the side quests.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
if i had to describe this radahn fight, it would be tedious. having to redo the arrow beginning part is so absolute poo poo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The first password is for co-op matchmaking, the 5 below it are for messages and bloodstains (this is where you should put LLJK).
Passwords don't affect invasions at all, although the co-op password probably affects red summon signs.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Wellwinds posted:

this got me looking at the map for church shaped spots and i noticed that both fallen ruin chunks are detailed as well as all of the little graveyards with the free runes in coffins

they did an amazing job with the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Filthy Haiku posted:

Are you talking about the regular stones? The bell for up to +12 is literally sitting out in a cave, no boss fight needed.