Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

pisslowski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Rashomon now comes with a never before seen coda where it's revealed who was telling the truth

High and Low has been colorized.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
two of the samurai have been cut out entirely and the film retitled Five Samurai

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The only problems with the Bergman set are Scenes from a Marriage and Fanny and Alexander miniseries cuts desperately needing to be split across two discs, along with an older master of Smiles being used. Nothing unwatchable, but they at least learned a bit for the Varda and Fellini boxes not cramming too much.

With that said, if you have to pick one “big box” the complete Varda might be my favorite overall. Bergman is full of greats, but not a single low point for Varda.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
There is now an 8th, CGI samurai who keeps saying things like, "Well THAT just happened".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Do to a request from the Kurosawa estate, only the black and white version of Ran is included in the collection.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
a laugh track was accidentally added to Ikiru

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Got the William Klein and Masaki Kobayashi Eclipse sets

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wanted to pick up The Celebration since Another Round was such a great movie that I wanted to check out another acclaimed Vintersong, but goddamn what an absolutely dogshit cover.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Went with...

Uncut Gems 4K
A Hard Day's Night 4K
The Piano 4K
The Red Shoes 4K
(All upgrades for me except The Piano, which I haven't seen)

Ministry of Fear - been collecting Fritz Lang films since I've liked nearly all his stuff
Sullivan's Travels - Realized I didn't own this one yet, even with all the other Sturges comedies I've picked up
Design for Living - Can't go wrong with more Lubitsch
Love Affair - I love it when Criterion rescues public domain hell titles and I can't turn down a Leo McCarey romcom

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

(All upgrades for me except The Piano, which I haven't seen)

I'm interested to hear what you think. It released when I was 10 and I remember being enthralled with it even then.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Design for Living is also a lovely little film.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I picked up the Piano a month ago. Solid movie and a really good looking 4k release. There is a lot of blueness too it, but in the commentary Campion talks about how this is intended ("underwater feeling"). She mentions how some production people were complaining about some of the initial film at first but eventually trusted her and the dp on the look.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I wanted to pick up The Celebration since Another Round was such a great movie that I wanted to check out another acclaimed Vintersong, but goddamn what an absolutely dogshit cover.

It’s a sick movie and the cover is perfect for a Dogme joint haha

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://mobile.twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1502114054634192918

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

woah that rules, I've wanted to see Heroic Trio for a while

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I hope it's a sign that Criterion's trying to do a Johnnie To collection in the vein of their John Waters stuff. I would love to get a good Blu Ray copy of The Mission.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Holy poo poo. I was kind of hoping that Throw Down might mean we would get this but I didn't think it would actually happen. I've seen it so many times in lovely transfers, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fathom a good one

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
polyester is good, reminded me of repo man

i appreciated that the character with the intellectual disability wasn't the butt of any jokes

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion announcements for June delayed to Thursday.

However, plenty of hints and stuff, so we're likely getting...

Pink Flamingos
Man Bites Dog
The Tales of Hoffmann (likely on UHD)
American Factory

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
oh hell yeah, tales of hoffman is all kinds of excellent. i saw it on the big screen years ago and i'm gonna pre-order that UHD. the costuming is gonna look fantastic in 4K.

i will never buy or watch a documentary produced by the obamas about ohio.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Having read E.T.A. Hoffman's tales, I want to watch them...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The first few times I saw the UHD format acornym I legit started thinking there was some hipster community that insisted PSP's had the crispness image quality.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The first few times I saw the UHD format acornym I legit started thinking there was some hipster community that insisted PSP's had the crispness image quality.

Seriously, me too. I thought they had come back into fashion.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion announcements for June delayed to Thursday.

However, plenty of hints and stuff, so we're likely getting...

Pink Flamingos
Man Bites Dog

if these two are UHD i'm in

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1504491114631471112

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1504491325139345415

4K Shaft is a pleasant surprise and that Pink Flamingos cover is incredible.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

-wonder if they got the original soundtrack licensed properly for Pink Flamingos this time around (just one song replaced/missing i think?)
-no 4K for Tales of Hoffman? booooo

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finally

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Criterion's also releasing The Worst Person In The World in June. Blu-ray and DVD, no 4k UHD.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oof I don’t like that Worst Person in the World cover at all

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I've never seen Shaft but I did watch a documentary on Gordon Parks recently ("A Choice of Weapons") and he was a true renaissance man and basically the inspiration for Shaft himself. Definitely worth checking out.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Oof I don’t like that Worst Person in the World cover at all

"Worst Person in the World" would be a good title for a slasher and I hope there's someone who blind buys it based on the cover.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I rewatched Shaft recently and it's great. Criterion edition has some sick extras too, including a new featurette with Walter Moseley about black detective stories plus the sequel Shaft's Big Score. And that Bill Sienkiewicz cover is awesome.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I rewatched Shaft recently and it's great. Criterion edition has some sick extras too, including a new featurette with Walter Moseley about black detective stories plus the sequel Shaft's Big Score. And that Bill Sienkiewicz cover is awesome.

Oh drat I didn't even see it had Shaft's Big Score on it. That's a hell of a deal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bill is ridiculously talented

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

And that Bill Sienkiewicz cover is awesome.

:emptyquote:

This is my computer wallpaper, happy to see more of his work in the collection.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's disappointing that The Tales of Hoffmann isn't a UHD, but maybe sales of The Red Shoes weren't what they hoped to be or even the DVD wasn't a big seller. Still going to grab that, the Shaft UHD, and Pink Flamingos.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bill is ridiculously talented

Cloks posted:

:emptyquote:

This is my computer wallpaper, happy to see more of his work in the collection.

One of my all time favorite comics artists for sure. He's done a handful of Criterion covers I believe but this one is a real standout.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I really wish I had picked up the signed giclee of his Robinson Crusoe on Mars art they had in their store for a while. I always loved the cover but just saw the movie last year and thought it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Memories of Murder was great. High recommendation. Being aware of the change in color made it hard to ignore. Definitely very… green. At the same time, I felt like it accommodated the film well.