Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Grand Fromage posted:

Are motherboard CPU power plugs all the same? The shapes of the connectors don't match my power cable, but it clicked into place without having to manhandle it. A couple of the rounded plugs went into square holes. Both of the CPU power cables with the PSU are the same. Can't remember what the cables looked like on the last one I put together.

I can't say I've ever looked that closely, but lets be safe - take some pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Is there anything to consider when installing an AIO like special mounting hardware or brackets? I bought an EVGA combo kit and I want to use it with my i7 12 series and from what I gather the plate that it comes with is generic and will fit all types? Is there some type of adapter I need like when using a cpu fan?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I finally found a diagram, looks like it's okay. Here's what I got on the motherboard:

Can't get a pic of the plug since it's all black, but the 4+4 is (same orientation, clip right)

square round
round square
round round
round round

Which matches this:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cool, mostly wanted to make sure you didn't have the wrong plug entirely / not have the clip on the right side. Do make sure you're using the cable labeled CPU and not PCI (though they should be physically incompatible it looks). Everything should be standardized on the motherboard end. Things are notably NOT standardized on the PSU end though, so you can't mix cables from different modular PSUs, even from the same manufacturer (select exceptions nonwithstanding).

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 9, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it's not a PCI-E, it is labeled for the CPU. This PSU came with an ungodly number of video card cables though, glad I got full modular.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah it's not a PCI-E, it is labeled for the CPU. This PSU came with an ungodly number of video card cables though, glad I got full modular.

Yeah sometimes there's angles on the plugs that don't match up but they go in. Not a cause for concern for CPU power since it's all 12v on the top and gnd on the bottom.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

maniacripper posted:

Is there anything to consider when installing an AIO like special mounting hardware or brackets? I bought an EVGA combo kit and I want to use it with my i7 12 series and from what I gather the plate that it comes with is generic and will fit all types? Is there some type of adapter I need like when using a cpu fan?
One bracket might cover multiple socket types but check your manual. Certain Noctua parts needed an extra bit for the latest Intel socket.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I finally found a diagram, looks like it's okay. Here's what I got on the motherboard:

Can't get a pic of the plug since it's all black, but the 4+4 is (same orientation, clip right)

square round
round square
round round
round round

Which matches this:

It’s fine as long as it’s labeled CPU, just make sure you’re not plugging the PSU end into the board if that’s how your cables are set up.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

maniacripper posted:

For the 12th gen, some AIOs and coolers use the 7th? Gen brackets. Some need entirely new brackets.

You need to check EVGA’s site for specific info on that cooler.

If you’re in the USA the bracket should be very easy to get from EVGA, but you should find out now so you can order it today if you need it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s fine as long as it’s labeled CPU, just make sure you’re not plugging the PSU end into the board if that’s how your cables are set up.

That's what I did the first time so we've taken care of that one. :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

lol this is still in stock.

People are probably still sticker shocked because that card launched at like $829 or something.

Yeah, I mean, ultimately what's happening is that we're rapidly catching up to where europe and some other parts of the world have been at, where GPUs are available but expensive and an equilibrium has been found, letting GPUs stay in stock just long enough to be replaced by the next shipment. We're not quite there yet, but we may be there soon, and in the interim we're seeing a situation where more and more GPUs are becoming perpetually available on Newegg with each passing week. Once we do get there, we'll finally start seeing prices fall, which could be in just a couple more weeks at this rate. Or crypto could see another massive boom and all the miners will start buying GPUs again. Isn't it wonderful how much our hobby is at the mercy of a highly unstable speculative asset?

Another factor that might be keeping cards in stock for longer is that FOMO is no longer as much of a thing. I've seen this with several people now. People who were previously doing the newegg shuffle every day and watching stock discords are thinking "actually, maybe I can wait until the prices drop" now that they feel as though they can buy a card at any point they want. It's not "OMG, I need to jump on this deal now or I may never see it again," but "Actually, I probably will see this again, and it might even be a little cheaper next time." Which, good. The more people hold out for lower prices, the sooner the prices will actually go down.

All that said, the global economic situation is in a more confusing place than ever, supply chains for some key resources have been threatened by the russian invasion of ukraine, and crypto could make a comeback at any moment. So yeah, there's no shame in spending a bit more to build a new high-end gaming PC now while you can.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 9, 2022

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Isn't it wonderful how much our hobby is at the mercy of a highly unstable speculative asset?

Hobby/careers. A portion of us actually need those GPUs for stuff like video editing, animation, modeling, etc. (Animator here.)

And yeah it loving sucks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The constantly shifting market conditions are making for some weird situations though, like this:

It's been like this for a few days now. Just... what? lol (these are both shipped and sold by newegg)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
less fans to cut down on the noise! :pseudo:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I'm having some trouble with my new build. I went with an ASUS ROG STRIX B660-A GAMING WIFI D4 LGA 1700 motherboard and am really struggling with the audio drivers. The first issue was every few days, seemingly at random, my headphones would be blasted with whitenoise static at 100% volume. Not exactly a fun experience and after the second time of ripping my headphones off in a panic I began looking into it. Apparently it was an issue with the Realtek drivers as a bunch of manufacturers are using a new sound chip and I guess they haven't worked all the bugs out yet. Some people were claiming that installing the latest drivers fixed it so I gave it a shot. Unfortunately the package I got off the Asus site came with a bunch of sonic studio bloatware which I've tried uninstalling but still seems to be launching whenever I boot up. Annoying but I'm going to work on that later.

The issue I have now is that my mic is extremely quiet. My friends on discord can barely hear me. I've gone into the sound settings and after a bit of fiddling have found that the boost setting isn't doing anything at all. There's zero difference between it being set to 0.0 and +30.0. So the issue is in there somewhere but I have no clue how to fix it. Help?

edit: I uninstalled the realtek drivers entirely and it seems like the default Microsoft drivers seem to be working fine, so far. Fingers crossed that I don't get blasted again

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 9, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I'm having some trouble with my new build. I went with an ASUS ROG STRIX B660-A GAMING WIFI D4 LGA 1700 motherboard and am really struggling with the audio drivers. The first issue was every few days, seemingly at random, my headphones would be blasted with whitenoise static at 100% volume. Not exactly a fun experience and after the second time of ripping my headphones off in a panic I began looking into it. Apparently it was an issue with the Realtek drivers as a bunch of manufacturers are using a new sound chip and I guess they haven't worked all the bugs out yet. Some people were claiming that installing the latest drivers fixed it so I gave it a shot. Unfortunately the package I got off the Asus site came with a bunch of sonic studio bloatware which I've tried uninstalling but still seems to be launching whenever I boot up. Annoying but I'm going to work on that later.

The issue I have now is that my mic is extremely quiet. My friends on discord can barely hear me. I've gone into the sound settings and after a bit of fiddling have found that the boost setting isn't doing anything at all. There's zero difference between it being set to 0.0 and +30.0. So the issue is in there somewhere but I have no clue how to fix it. Help?

edit: I uninstalled the realtek drivers entirely and it seems like the default Microsoft drivers seem to be working fine, so far. Fingers crossed that I don't get blasted again

This kills the crab.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

3070 Ti for $830, no bundle: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3797-KL (edit: oos)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 10, 2022

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
In the UK at least it seems like video cards are a thing you can buy online from a normal retailer again, they are all 30-50% above RRP but before now I haven't seen a card in stock for months.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

In the UK at least it seems like video cards are a thing you can buy online from a normal retailer again, they are all 30-50% above RRP but before now I haven't seen a card in stock for months.

that's increasingly the situation in the US too

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EVGA also has the best price on 3080 12GBs, $1250 for their XC3 Ultra: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=12G-P5-4865-KL

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 10, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Does the 3080 FE run hot in the same way that the 3070 Ti FE does? All this chatter in the last few pages makes me feel like maybe I should have grabbed a 3080 for 1440p high (ish) refresh rate, instead of a 3070. But those heat and power draw numbers were a concern (as well as budget ofc).

Probably a moot point because even in-store 3080 FEs still get snapped up in minutes, and I don't know when the last time was that I saw one pop up in the first place. But I'm still curious.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It's fine, I have one in an ITX case and it doesn't get above 75, lower after undervolting.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Does the 3080 FE run hot in the same way that the 3070 Ti FE does? All this chatter in the last few pages makes me feel like maybe I should have grabbed a 3080 for 1440p high (ish) refresh rate, instead of a 3070. But those heat and power draw numbers were a concern (as well as budget ofc).

Probably a moot point because even in-store 3080 FEs still get snapped up in minutes, and I don't know when the last time was that I saw one pop up in the first place. But I'm still curious.

My 3080 FE is pretty cool, but I have a strong cooling setup. 3x 140mm front intakes (although they have to fight through mostly packed 3.5” HDDs), plus a 140mm intake on the case floor that feeds directly into the FE intake.

IMO, that bottom case fan is what contributes most to keeping it cool.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I posted here a bit ago about repurposing an old IBM case for a modern build, and am wondering how much of a thermal constraint its three 80mm fan ports - two front, one back - will be in practice. Dimensions are pretty standard for a midtower except that it’s all of 6.5” wide. What do you think?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Hasturtium posted:

I posted here a bit ago about repurposing an old IBM case for a modern build, and am wondering how much of a thermal constraint its three 80mm fan ports - two front, one back - will be in practice. Dimensions are pretty standard for a midtower except that it’s all of 6.5” wide. What do you think?

i thought i answered, sorry pal i must be thinking of someone else? what are you putting in there? that will determine if it's enough. if you buy decent fans it probably will be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Modern cases are so much nicer to work with I wouldn't use an old one unless it's just for shits and giggles.

I'd think the cooling is fine if you're not doing a gaming PC with it though. Modern hardware doesn't seem to run at the kind of nuclear temps it did for a while in the early 2000s. I dunno if that's because coolers are better or something in the way the hardware is designed.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

CoolCab posted:

i thought i answered, sorry pal i must be thinking of someone else? what are you putting in there? that will determine if it's enough. if you buy decent fans it probably will be.

It should be up to the challenge for an i5-12400, I think - mostly wondering if I can get away with tossing my spare GTX 1080 Ti in there. It’s a turbine design, so maybe…?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
woof, it's going to come down to how much those fans are impeded from fresh air and i don't think it's going to be a great answer regardless since old cases tend to not have great airflow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It should still be okay, right? Just maybe loud?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Rinkles posted:

It should still be okay, right? Just maybe loud?

With three Noctuas the noise profile should be all right. I’m leaning more toward selling the 1080 Ti while I can still get a solid price, then using the money to subsidize the build and running the integrated video. I’ve been meaning to play with QuickSync for a while anyhow. The case so far, before I 3D print some replacement covers, if you’re curious.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I didn't even like lifting those cases much less working in them. Live in the now.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 10, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have my fans on splitters and did not know about PWM, that is new since the last time I got case fans. My PWM fans are working, the non-PWMs aren't. I changed to DC in the BIOS and they're still not spinning. Can I not have both on a single header?

E: Both the ones not working are Arctic P14s, but the case fans that came with it look like they're not PWM either. This is weird. GPU fans aren't spinning either but I assume they don't kick in until it starts getting hotter.

CHA_2: two fans, one working
CHA_3: three fans, two working, one of the working ones is PWM

Everything's set to DC in the BIOS but the fans didn't change. Also according to the BIOS nothing is plugged into 3.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 10, 2022

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Shumagorath posted:

I didn't even like lifting those cases much less working in them. Live in the now.

Sorry, I like a weird challenge. Plus, I can’t find a case that’s both tall and relatively narrow, and that isn’t a 1U/2U, with all the rack mounting and screeching like a banshee that tends to lead to. In the scheme of things this won’t take a lot of work to rehabilitate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Got all my fans going... can't figure out why they work now, but, gremlins. The rear exhaust is now on CPU_OPT which should be fine since it's right behind the exhaust of the ginormous CPU cooling tower, running off CPU temps seems reasonable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

3060 Ti for $610: https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-ko-rtx3060ti-o8g-v2-gaming/p/N82E16814126526?Item=N82E16814126526 (edit: oos, though you can still get it bundled with some monitors i guess)

There have been other 3060 Tis on newegg, but those are all even more expensive. This is the cheapest unbundled one I've seen so far, though it's still 50% over the launch msrp.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 10, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

this is the card i ended up with:

do you think it's at least got a better cooling solution than that asus?

I can't find fan dimensions, but the asus is thicker, if that matters.

e:probably a stupid question, probably hard to tell without testing

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Impossible to tell.

Anyway, at newegg:

(https://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb...A1A&ignorebbr=1)
The code may require you to subscribe to their newsletter to work. It takes an extra $50 off for a total of $180 off. That's a pretty good deal, bringing the gpu down to roughly $620 after the cost of the mobo (the 6700XT has been $800 the last couple weeks). That mobo is a decent b550 board too. You can put together a 5600X system with that for less than $1500 if you want, or you can wait for the 5800X3D coming next month, which could be competitive with Alder Lake.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 10, 2022

functional
Feb 12, 2008

Is it better to run one monitor on dgpu and one on igpu or both on dgpu? Use case is gaming on one monitor, idle browser windows on the other.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Idk if it's even possible to run both and even if it were, due to the additional strain integrated graphics put on the system (eg RAM) I'd say it would make no sense and be actively detrimental to try to use both. Just plug them both into the GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Butterfly Valley posted:

Idk if it's even possible to run both and even if it were, due to the additional strain integrated graphics put on the system (eg RAM) I'd say it would make no sense and be actively detrimental to try to use both. Just plug them both into the GPU.

i have heard it is but you need an iGPU on the chip. no idea how performance is tho