Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

IDK, my X399 board lists SRV-IO in the BIOS as option to enable. Over here it'd be just contingent on NVidia. It was already a miracle that they finally allowed one GPU paravirt session on their consumer models. And that's probably mostly just forced by Microsoft to enable GPU accelerated rendering within their WDAG VM.

druid is saying he hopes intel's gpus support SR-IOV, forcing nvidia/amd to follow, much like nvidia pretty much immediately followed with resizable bar when amd enabled it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Whoops, I read it as Intel CPU.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
yeah. Don't trip, I have done the same recently, too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1500959592997654533

Editing the Win11 install to ignore the TPM requirements wins again.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Not upgrading to Windows 11 until it's more stable and has more interesting features is what's really won

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Not upgrading to Windows 11 until it's more stable and has more interesting features is what's really won

Not "upgrading" to Windows 10 until they let me have small taskbar icons is winning for me.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not "upgrading" to Windows 10 until they let me have small taskbar icons is winning for me.

Jesus christ.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've got bad news for you regarding the security of your OS

Unless you're on Linux, in which case the bad news is regarding everything else

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I've got bad news for you regarding the security of your OS

Unless you're on Linux, in which case the bad news is regarding everything else

Install Linux, problem solved.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Report from the field: I installed it and as far as I can tell, the only thing they did was change some fonts and gently caress up the task bar

/out

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

And then half my games don't work or don't run well. Linux is a meme

movax
Aug 30, 2008

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17296/amd-announces-ryzen-threadripper-pro-5000-wx-series-zen-3-core-for-oem-workstations

Sooooo guess my 3960X is it for awhile then! Bummer that Zen 3 TR is MIA. Doubt we will see a successor to TRX40 now... would putting Zen4 chiplets on that socket make any sense?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:derp:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1501218872636198913?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

5600 non x at $199 is really good to see.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't remember hearing about the 5700X before.

e:oh they're launching a bunch of updates

the whole chart

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 8, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It looks like the 5700x is the 5800 non x which is an OEM only sku.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lmfao at the Ryzen 3 4100

finally taking a very late swing back at Intel's i3's

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gradenko_2000 posted:

lmfao at the Ryzen 3 4100

finally taking a very late swing back at Intel's i3's

Isn't the 5300G the i3 competitor, they just aren't interested in building enough of them to meet demand, so it's a niche rare OEM thing?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't the 5300G the i3 competitor, they just aren't interested in building enough of them to meet demand, so it's a niche rare OEM thing?

if it's an OEM-only product then it can't really compete against something like the i3-10100 or the i3-12100

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Buy a 4K monitor and don't use scaling, problem solved

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It seems like having your own fans like Intel does would really help with scaling on the very low end. I’m guessing AMD doesn’t have wafers to burn on lower end products.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rinkles posted:

the whole chart

Hey it's the products and prices that should have existed a year and a half ago. The 5600x has already been going on sale in the low 200s, and the 5800x in the low 300s.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Inept posted:

Hey it's the products and prices that should have existed a year and a half ago. The 5600x has already been going on sale in the low 200s, and the 5800x in the low 300s.

Seems likely that AMD didnt have the production (or competition from Intel) to bother with the low end while Epyc was doing so well. Between this and the TR Pro launch, it seems like they finally have spare dies not getting sucked up by enterprise.

They are also transitioning to the new 3D variant of the Zen 3 dies (which is a different design to the compute die itself), and I imagine Zen 4 must be close to mass production on 5nm. Although there are lots of rumors around Zen 4 delays, but who knows.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

5600 non x at $199 is really good to see.

Yeah. I picked up a 3600 at $175 pre-covid and that seems like what we'll see for the 5600 too. The clock differences don't seem worth the difference to the 5600x.

Interesting there are no price drops at the high end for existing parts. I half expected them to drop the 5950x closer to the $599 I paid in the current Best Buy deal.

The O11 Dynamic XL I switched to recently was an absolute breeze to swap cpus in. I decided to not wait for the Evo because I wanted the extra space and that worked out. Never had such a comfy experience before.

The 5950x is way more aggressive about short temp spikes than the 3600 was. It seems to try hard to clock 1-3 CPUs aggressively high for lighter loads and that comes with temp spikes. Had to redo all the fan curves which were set to kick in around 50c and now start ramping up only at 57c and even then it's only around 67c they start to ramp up aggressively. The processor seems to stay around or just below 70c for 1-2 core lods and under 60c for sustained all-core loads - like running memtestpro for 3-4 hours.

PBO lets the processor get to 4.5-4.6 GHz sustained all-cores loaded with no other tweaks other than soc voltage changes for the memory OC. That's much better than the 3600.

The memory OC needed one tweak to be stable compared to the 3600: tRCD had to drop from 15 -> 16T. It's still running at 1900 MHz MCLK / 3800 MHz MCLK. I haven't tried 1933 and higher. Stable defined as running 32 threads in MemtestPro for hours.

Interestingly, the uncore freq hovers close to 1890 Mhz in CPU-Z for the 5950x where it would be closer to 1860 MHz for the 3600.

Argus Monitor is really neat. Much nicer than tweaking in BIOS. Made retuning the fan curves much nicer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm assuming you stuck with the same mobo? What cooler are you using?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, it's the same board which I bought with exactly this in mind upgrade to high-core cpu at the end of Zen 3: MSI Unify x570. The hope is that this system lasts close to the 7 years it's predecessor, the 3770k, delivered.

The cooler is an NH-D15. I've dropped down to 1 fan from the 2 it comes with because even the O11D XL doesn't have the space for that 120mm once you adjust for the RAM under it. But I don't see any problems with cooling.

It's also possible to buy a smaller fan and stick in on there if needed but Noctua say the 2nd fan gives another 3c or so at best.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Forgot to say that Argus Monitor's killer feature is that I can actually tie the 2x 140mm bottom intake fans to GPU temp unlike using the adjacent PCIe slot's temp as a very poor proxy. So now the blower Radeon 5700 gets enhanced air intake exactly as it cranks up.

This is good for a 10c+ (!!) reduction in temps on the card at the same OC levels, which is pretty remarkable really. I'm running it at higher OCs than before.

I should have gotten Argus Monitor earlier.

E: I could of course run those fans at higher speeds all the time, but then it gets very noisy. This way they only crank up when I'm playing a game and can't hear them or the blower's fan.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

Forgot to say that Argus Monitor's killer feature is that I can actually tie the 2x 140mm bottom intake fans to GPU temp unlike using the adjacent PCIe slot's temp as a very poor proxy. So now the blower Radeon 5700 gets enhanced air intake exactly as it cranks up.

This is good for a 10c+ (!!) reduction in temps on the card at the same OC levels, which is pretty remarkable really. I'm running it at higher OCs than before.

I should have gotten Argus Monitor earlier.

E: I could of course run those fans at higher speeds all the time, but then it gets very noisy. This way they only crank up when I'm playing a game and can't hear them or the blower's fan.

that's a feature I've been longing for, didn't know argus had it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
even Chuckles thinks it’s too little too late

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HEDT is always the scraps from data center and this time around there was no capacity for scraps so HEDT was always going to be a very distant after thought.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

Seems likely that AMD didnt have the production (or competition from Intel) to bother with the low end

I feel it's definitely that until Alder Lake, they weren't feeling any competitive pressure. The Zen 3 launch lineup intentionally omitting the 2 best bang-for-buck models is a pretty obvious way to take profits.

It's really bizarre how much of the market is driven by who has the top-dog position at the high end.

v1ld posted:

Interesting there are no price drops at the high end for existing parts. I half expected them to drop the 5950x closer to the $599 I paid in the current Best Buy deal.

A number of tech sites said that the sales & deals were so widespread across outlets that it is almost certain that AMD dropped prices. They may not be updating the 'official' / MSRP numbers because it's US-regional or something.

v1ld posted:

The 5950x is way more aggressive about short temp spikes than the 3600 was. It seems to try hard to clock 1-3 CPUs aggressively high for lighter loads and that comes with temp spikes. Had to redo all the fan curves which were set to kick in around 50c and now start ramping up only at 57c and even then it's only around 67c they start to ramp up aggressively.

A thing you can do instead of putting the ramp at a high temperature, is add longer hysteresis / ramp on the fan. A big tower cooler has a modest amount of thermal soak to it -- far less than a water cooler, but more than the tiny spikes from ryzen's over-excited idle boosting. So the fan curve would like to start ramping up at 60C or less to give more cooling for sustained loads, while ignoring the short bursts that will be easily absorbed by the sink.

MSI calls it step up / step down in the bios, and with a D15 I think you could set the step up to 0.7s (the max) and step-down to 0.3 to get pretty good results. D15 has a lot of mass.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

A thing you can do instead of putting the ramp at a high temperature, is add longer hysteresis / ramp on the fan. A big tower cooler has a modest amount of thermal soak to it -- far less than a water cooler, but more than the tiny spikes from ryzen's over-excited idle boosting. So the fan curve would like to start ramping up at 60C or less to give more cooling for sustained loads, while ignoring the short bursts that will be easily absorbed by the sink.

MSI calls it step up / step down in the bios, and with a D15 I think you could set the step up to 0.7s (the max) and step-down to 0.3 to get pretty good results. D15 has a lot of mass.

Interesting. They're set to 0.1s by default in MSI's bios and I didn't think to use them to as you say soak up the spikes. That's a very cool idea, thanks!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

the whole chart

.....poo poo, that makes me feel REALLY goddam bad about that 3700X I JUST picked up for $210.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

that's a feature I've been longing for, didn't know argus had it.

You can even peg fans to a combination of temps, I'm running my case fans off both CPU and GPU, whichever is the highest.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

As a free alternative to argus monitor, I've been using FanControl to control my fans based off my gpu temperature

https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

It lets you make fan curves that monitor arbitrary temperature sources. I've got two separate curves that control the same fans, but monitor cpu and gpu temps. Then I have another setting that will decide the curve to use based off the max of cpu vs gpu temp.

Pretty nice since my gpu was roasting while gaming cause my cpu runs much cooler with a dh15. And if I do any cpu intensive tasks the fans will still ramp up.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cygni posted:

Horizon Zero Down (720p Low/Prefer Performance Preset, Avg and Min FPS)

960:

The 5350 finally slays its Sandy Bridge opponents: the 2 core Sandies won't load the benchmark and hang at the loading screen forever.

HZD is a game that has scaling that does not fit the "bottleneck" metaphor. The i7's and 5950x are GPU limited, but throwing increased CPU power at the game despite the bottleneck does still yield some improvement, just nothing close to linear. In my experience, this tends to be the case in a lot of games. The bottleneck concept is still elucidating, it just doesn't always work exactly the way we think it might.

3090:

Our 5350 keeps chugging despite getting the inauspicious "0" in minimum frames. This is another game that is hitting some game engine limitations with the 5950X/3090 combo, as neither was even hitting max clocks during this run.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (720p Low Preset, Avg and Min FPS)

960:

The 2core Sandies give up again, unable to launch the game. The minimum framerates were a bit erratic with the slower CPUs, despite this data being the aggregate of 5 runs. Interestingly, the 5350 nearly tied a a Bulldozer based FM2 part for the very first time. I also enjoyed the 4790S coming out on top due to run to run variance and the hard wall at the top.

3090:

Aaaand there goes the 5950X.

Quick addendum to this old post. I wanted to understand if it was a performance issue with the 2 core Sandy Bridges just running out of steam when trying to run HZD and ACO, a Win11 issue, or if there was a thread sensitivity in the games themselves that wasn't strictly performance related.

With core disabling on Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Coffee Lake, Zen 1, and Zen 3, I was able to pretty much confirm that it was HZD/ACO themselves that were the issue. HZD wouldnt load a level with anything less than 4c/4t regardless of architecture or OS, and ACO would balk at anything less than 2c/4t. I even got an old 2-thread A6-5400K because Bulldozer thread disabling doesn't work great, and got the same results. Comically, HZD performs identically all the way from 16/32 to 4/4, but as soon as you go to 2/4, it just wont load.

So if you are building an ultra budget PC for a relative who games with the Alder Lake Celerons/Pentiums that are hitting shelves, or thinking of picking up an old 2 core i3 or Athlon, i think we are fully at the point where ya gotta go 4/4 at bare minimum.

Everyone probably already knew that. But now you know it... WITH DATA!!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That is actually pretty interesting, even if not particularly useful info, to me!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/techpowerup/status/1501530318939041795

Call me pessimistic but uh, this launch doesn’t seem to be going as hoped for anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Noooooooooooooo