Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mix. posted:

It's mostly because the end result for these three outcomes is that Sora dies from having no cards regardless of what card she gave Jordan, and there's no interaction with Vladimir otherwise for this round so I didn't think there would be a reason to show that off since he'll never have an option to betray you :v:

Oh, no, as I said what I was interested is in the number, if Sora gives Jordan her card instead of giving it to Vladmir we could 100% know which card she had and by elimination Vlad's. I just like knowing stuff :v: (And also it feeds into my scenarios on who would die if Jordan partners with 2+3)

Edit: Update on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: depiction of bodily harm

This update, we're going to finish seeing all the potential outcomes for the Make 10 round- thus wrapping up the Prologue of QS for the remainder of this LP. Both Jordans have the option of attempting to partner up with either pair- Beatrix/Nikolas or Katashi/Shizuka- but, as we saw in a previous update, things aren't quite so simple... for M!Jordan, at the very least, as he's fully aware that one of the two pairs is lying to him about their numbers.

Firstly though, since we've already seen the numbers on one of her outcomes, let's get Fem!Jordan's final options out of the way. As noted in the thread, the Vogels appeared to be telling the truth based off of their final score, so assuming that holds true, probably best to start by asking to pair with Beatrix and Nikolas. :v:

[BGM: Ad Astra Per Aspera]

I'd made up my mind. I would pair up with Beatrix and Nikolas. They were the first ones to approach me, and despite the Captain's warning, I had no choice but to trust them. Nikolas and Beatrix stood at the end of the hall, engaged in a private conversation.

Hey, Beatrix, Nikolas. Does your offer to combine still stand? I've decided that I want in.

We knew we could rely on you. No one as charming as you could betray us. Isn't that right, brother?

Nikolas nodded in reply.

We're glad you're on board. All we need to do is perform one little transaction, then we can go and relax. It'll all be over soon.

I know this is a weird question given that we're about to go put our lives in each other's hands, but I've heard rumors that you two might not be telling me the whole truth.

That bitch! It was the Captain, wasn't it? That's just like her. She's so desperate she'll stoop to sabotaging other players' chances by casting aspersions against their character.

If barging in there didn't forfeit my place in the game, I would go and give her a piece of my mind, and my fist, while I'm at it. Right square in the face.

Whoa, sorry I brought it up.

Beatrix and Kimiko don't exactly have the best relationship. But never fear, friend. We didn't spend four days slaving over you just to get you killed three days later. You were right to put your faith in us.

The moment the door whooshed open, my arm nearly shot out of its socket as I was yanked down the hall by Beatrix, running at a full sprint. Nikolas was surprisingly fast, fending off anyone who wished to initiate a transaction by using his lengthy lab coat as a makeshift barricade. When push came to shove, the Vogels meant business.

Very well, please enter. You'll have 10 minutes to complete your transaction, at which time you will be forcibly removed from the Dining Hall.

As soon as we entered the room, the door closed behind us with a loud metallic clang. Nikolas strode up to the primary terminal, placed his hand on the holographic display, and waited for us to take our places at the other terminals.

Couldn't we have at least discussed who should be in control of the primary terminal?

It doesn't particularly matter for this type of transaction. Combining cards is our only available option here; trading and giving are both limited to one-on-one transactions.

I guess you're right.

Let's get on with it, shall we? We only have 10 minutes.

I made my way over to the secondary terminal opposite Beatrix. Once I stepped in front of the terminal, the front and side walls prevented me from seeing anything. All of my attention was focused on the screen. Whatever happened here would determine my future.

The sensation of placing my hand on something that wasn't physically there felt very surreal. I'd been expecting to feel a slight electric vibration when I placed my palm against its surface, but there was nothing. My terminal beeped as my handprint was verified as my own. The terminal's screen changed, displaying my name and card number: a lonely 5.

On my screen, I could see the word COMBINE light up as it was selected. In a moment, the readout changed to '5 + Beatrix + Nikolas' and it was done. We were officially allied.

Congratulations! Your transaction has been completed! Judgement will occur in 44 minutes. Thank you for participating in the Deletion Game!

We exited the Dining Hall beneath the withering, judgmental stares of the other players. For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to meet Kimiko's gaze.

Thank you. We appreciate your help.

Beatrix winked at me slyly.

We owe you one, Sailor.

I'm glad we could help each other out.

Try to get some rest. Doctor's orders. We'll see you at judgment.

I wasn't sure how he expected me to rest, considering how little time we had left before the final results were announced.

[BGM: Carpe Noctum]
Extra! Extra! B Sharps sing on rooftop! Ahem... I mean, Attention! Attention! This round of the Deletion Game has come to an end! All participants are to meet in the Dining Hall at once!

Dai's voice thundered throughout the ship. I froze. The moment we'd all been dreading had finally arrived.

You'd all better hurry! I'm not going to wait to announce the results, you know.

I closed my eyes, inhaled and exhaled deeply; I was as ready as I was ever going to be.

…

It's judgment time, everyone! If you'll all take a look up here, I've created a handy holographic scoreboard for your viewing convenience. You can thank me later. In a minute this board will display everyone's final results. Keep in mind, the numbers of each individual player in a group will not be displayed, only their combined scores.

After all, what's done is done.

My heart was pounding so hard against the inside of my chest that it threatened to burst into pieces at any moment. Shallow, rapid breaths were all I could muster as I clenched my eyes shut, horrified to see my fate sealed in glowing letters and numbers.

Ooooh, I'm just so excited for you all to find out the results! Here we go! 3... 2... 1...

Oh, thank science!

I was safe. I was safe! I wasn't going to die! A tremendous wave of relief washed over me. Despite Kimiko's warnings, trusting the Vogels had paid off. Beatrix, Nikolas and I all had glowing 10s above our names. It wasn't until my eyes searched further along the scoreboard that I saw it: Sora had a 0.

And things play out pretty much the same from here, all the way to the end of the Prologue. For Fem!Jordan, trusting the Vogels paid off! :eng101: That said, it also looks like Katashi and Shizuka can make 10 already on their own, so assuming the numbers hold true, what will happen if we ask to pair with them?

I'd made up my mind. I would partner up with Katashi and Shizuka; their altruistic desire to put the mission first was a deeply respectable one. They were trying to make the best out of an impossible situation- appealing to reason in an attempt to prevent the crew from descending into anarchy- and I admired them for that.

Katashi and Shizuka stood quite close to the door. Their faces were quite solemn as I joined them.

Hey, uh... I was just wondering if your offer to team up still stood? It's a shame that your plan didn't work out, but I guess we have no choice but to play the game if everyone else is playing, right?

To say that our plan didn't work wouldn't be entirely true.

What do you mean?

You see, when Shizuka joked that she already knew your number, she actually wasn't joking. We're really sorry to have to do this to you. We only lied so that you would support our plan and we'd be able to get you out of this mess. We tried, kiddo. We really did.

I don't understand. What are you saying!?

Are you familiar with the phrase 'every man for himself and the Devil take the hindmost'?

No. What does that have to do with this?

It's a proverb from the 18th century. It means that everyone should look after themselves and leave those who can't to meet their fate.

We decided as a crew that we should take care of ourselves.

It's nothing personal.

My heart slowly sank as I came to understand...

Once we told everyone you had 5 and suggested we should just sacrifice you, they were far more willing to get involved with our strategy.

They'd betrayed me. I couldn't believe what I was hearing: I was as good as dead. My heart pounded in my chest, sending blood rushing through my eardrums so loudly that I thought they might burst. My eyes burned as light exploded behind my eyes and the world began to blur. I was going to die today.

I was going to die.

No... no... I don't want to die...

Oh, looks like the cat's out of the bag.

Why would you do this to me?

Countless pairs of bulging eyes fixated on me as I stepped back, desperate to get away from them. Fear rapidly gave way to anger. When someone tried to put their hand on my back, I lashed out ferociously, shoving them away.

Don't touch me! You don't know a thing about me! I'm a genius, did you know that? A proper genius! If you'd given me more time I could have saved the whole bloody lot of you! But you've made your bed, now you'll have to lie in it.

Please, we didn't mean it to be like this...

This was the first time I'd ever been in contact with anyone other than my parents. And do you know what I've concluded? You're all complete bastards!

I was going to die. Alone. Unloved. Unremembered. Unmourned. I could have done so much. I could have, if they'd just given me a chance, I could have... I curled into a ball, trying to find solace in my own thoughts during my final hour. Before long, my time had run out.

Extra! Extra! B Sharps sing on rooftop! Ahem... I mean, Attention! Attention! This round of the Deletion Game has come to an end! All participants are to meet in the Dining Hall at once!

Dai's voice thundered throughout the ship. I froze. The moment we'd all been dreading had finally arrived.

You'd all better hurry! I'm not going to wait to announce the results, you know.

I closed my eyes, inhaled and exhaled deeply; I was as ready as I was ever going to be.

…

Everyone congregated in the Dining Hall within minutes of Dai's announcement. An uncomfortable silence fell over the room as we waited to hear the results.

It's judgment time, everyone! If you'll all take a look up here, I've created a handy holographic scoreboard for your viewing convenience. You can thank me later. In a minute this board will display everyone's final results. Keep in mind, the numbers of each individual player in a group will not be displayed, only their combined scores.

My heart was pounding so hard against the inside of my chest that it threatened to burst into pieces at any moment. Shallow, rapid breaths were all I could muster as I clenched my eyes shut, horrified to see my fate sealed in glowing letters and numbers.

Ooooh, I'm just so excited for you all to find out the results! Here we go! 3... 2... 1...

Congratulations, everybody! You'll all live to fight again. Everybody except Jordan, that is. Jordan, as the loser of round two, you must now submit yourself to the method of execution of my choosing. Let's spin the Wheel of Fatality to see what gruesome punishment lies in store for you! Oooo, I can hardly wait~!

With a flourish, Dai conjured a sizeable holographic wheel split up into labelled sections. I barely managed to read them all before Dai passed judgment. Gravity, Airlock, Oxygen, Incineration, and Spacewalk. Each one sounded more ominous than the last. Within seconds, Dai gave the wheel a hefty spin and the sections of the wheel blurred into one another. My eyes were fixed on the wheel as it gradually slowed... tick, tick, ticking its way to a standstill as the arrow circled the dial, finally coming to rest on...

Incineration.

Please, no. Anything but that!

No time like the present! Let's head on down to the Furnace Room, shall we?

Accepting my fate, I solemnly fell into step behind Dai as she led the way to the Furnace Room with a spring in her step.

…

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]
As we filed into the Furnace Room, the ambient temperature rose with every passing step, and I slowly became aware of the gentle crackling of flames. The cavernous room was dominated by the raging fire of the furnace itself, held at bay by a thick pane of reinforced glass. As the last of our group crossed the threshold, the door shut behind us with a resounding thud. Even on this side of the glass, the heat radiating out from the furnace was overwhelming. Although there was a maintenance access panel located on the chute emerging from the top of the furnace, this occasion clearly warranted the use of the hinged door cut into the glass.

Here we are! Jordan, for losing Round Two of the Deletion Game, you've been sentenced to death by incineration! I must insist that you enter the furnace immediately. I've taken the liberty of preheating the furnace for your arrival... You should find it quite 'cozy'.

I entered the furnace without hesitation. Nothing would save me from the anguish I already felt inside at being betrayed by the entire crew. The sooner it was done with, the better. My skin instantly began to sting upon entering, bursts of pain shooting through my nerves as the blaze licked at my legs.

COMPANY, FALL IN!

The tongues of flame had begun to blacken my uniform as Kimiko shouted. Searing pain jolted through me as violent, blistering welts started forming on my exposed skin.

Research Officer Jordan. You have served honorably aboard the Everett during your short time with us. COMPANY, SALUTE!

The entire line saluted in unison, their faces a mixture of snide contentment, pity, and fear. The flames danced across my skin, bringing with them a new bout of torment. Animalistic howls wracked my body as I shrieked, unable to bear the pain any longer. My charred skin was starting to slough off, separating from the muscle underneath it in dry flakes that were virtually indistinguishable from burnt scraps of paper.

I clamped my eyes shut, sickened at the sight of myself. The putrid smell of my own burning hair and flesh mixed with the smoke pouring off of my flaming body, forcing its way down my throat and scalding my lungs. I began to cough violently in a vain attempt to expel the smoke from my lungs, struggling for breath between fits of coughing. Like a fish out of water, I continued to ineffectually gasp for air; but there was nothing left to breathe amid that blazing inferno. Some part of my mind dimly realized that I was asphyxiating.

The disgusting squelching and sizzling sounds of fat and muscle roasting as it cooked suddenly seemed so far away. As my consciousness faded to black, the last thing I heard was the sound of my agonized screams ricocheting throughout the room, wordlessly pleading for death...

You have died.

:stare: …In any case, that clears up Fem!Jordan's side of things. It's time to get back to our current protagonist, and see how he's doing in regards to the whole 'both parties are claiming the same numbers' situation.

The Vogels were trustworthy for Fem!Jordan- maybe they're just trustworthy in general? Let's find out- by partnering with Beatrix and Nikolas first. That said, the scene itself is pretty much identical regardless of which Jordan you're playing as, so actually we'll just be skipping straight to the results. :v:

…

:v: Or they could be straight up lying if you're a guy, that was also an option that was very much on the table here! Whoops! Also, I wish the game told you what circumstances led Vladimir to partner with Shizuka and Katashi here instead of figuring something out with Sora like he does for basically every other result, because that's an interesting partnership- but alas.

Time seemed to slow to a halt as I read the scoreboard in terror. Blood rushed through my eardrums, drowning out all sound. My body grew cold and numb as I discovered how it felt to be betrayed for the first time in my life. I had the lowest number on the board. I was going to die.

But... I...

Not Jordan, we only just met him! We can't lose our new friend already!

Nikolas put his hand on my shoulder and leaned in close. I was too shocked to react, this couldn't be real. This couldn't be happening. I could feel his breath on my ear as he whispered.

I'd say it was nothing personal, but that would be a lie. You killed our father, now you'll get the punishment you deserve.

Nikolas meandered back to his sister, whose eyes never left mine. Her lips were contorted into a demented smirk.

Congratulations, everybody! You'll all live to fight again. Everybody except Jordan, that is. Jordan, as the loser of round two, you must now submit yourself to the method of execution of my choosing. Let's spin the Wheel of Fatality to see what gruesome punishment lies in store for you! Oooo, I can hardly wait~!

With a flourish, Dai conjured a sizeable holographic wheel split up into labelled sections. I barely managed to read them all before Dai passed judgment. Gravity, Airlock, Oxygen, Incineration, and Spacewalk. Each one sounded more ominous than the last. Within seconds, Dai gave the wheel a hefty spin and the sections of the wheel blurred into one another.

Make it a long, slow one, won't you, Dai?

My eyes were fixed on the wheel as it gradually slowed... tick, tick, ticking its way to a standstill as the arrow circled the dial, finally coming to rest on...

Incineration.

Please, no. Anything but that!

Perfect. Well done. Just how I like my meat.

No time like the present! Let's head on down to the Furnace Room, shall we?

I won't go! I won't!

Feel free to refuse, but for every second you push the issue, I'll be decreasing the amount of oxygen flowing into the room. With that in mind, could we speed things along a bit? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Beatrix shot forward and clamped her hands around my wrist in a vice-like grip, catching me completely off guard. I struggled to free myself from her grasp, but Nikolas soon followed his sister's lead, grabbing a hold of my arms and twisting them behind my back. He thrust me towards the door and proceeded to frogmarch me down to the Furnace Room at a brisk pace.

I fought against Nikolas' iron grip the whole way down to the Furnace Room. Even when faced with my own imminent death, an instinctive, primal urge to survive prevented me from giving in. It didn't matter if I knew that Nikolas was stronger- I was desperate, fighting for my life with the ferocity of a wounded beast: cowed, but still dangerous. It didn't take long for us to arrive at the Furnace Room. No amount of kicking or screaming had managed to slow our progress.

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]
Nikolas threw open the glass door, shoved me unceremoniously into the scorching heat of the fire, and shut the door in my face. My skin instantly began to sting upon entering, bursts of pain shooting through my nerves as the blaze licked at my legs.

The rest of this is pretty much the same as before, except the illustration this time is a little different...

...yeah. :v: So we'll just skip the rest of this Dead End since, well. No reason to make you read that again! Instead, we'll move to the final outcome- the one where Jordan asks Katashi and Shizuka to pair with him.

I'd made up my mind. I would partner up with Katashi and Shizuka; their altruistic desire to put the mission first was a deeply respectable one. They were trying to make the best out of an impossible situation- appealing to reason in an attempt to prevent the crew from descending into anarchy- and I admired them for that.

Katashi and Shizuka stood quite close to the door.

They greeted me with smiling faces.

Hey, guys. Does the offer to team up still stand, by any chance?

It sure does!

We're glad you've decided to trust us. You won't regret it, I promise.

It looks like the Dining Hall is going to be crowded for a while, though. Shall we come back in half an hour? We do have a bit of time left, and if we stay together, well, you know...

It keeps us from having to think about how one of us is going to die?

That's not how I would have said it, but yeah, that's the gist of it.

Woohoo! I vote we kill time by playing video games!

Shizuka, you can play after we're done. Right now we should all just try to get some peace and quiet. Let's head to the Eco Lounge.

Fine by me.

The Eco Lounge was the perfect place to get away from it all. The proverbial eye of the storm. In spite of the tense situation we found ourselves in, this place still managed to feel pure somehow, a tranquil sanctuary only a brisk walk away from the Deletion Game. We whiled away 40 minutes in causal conversation as we lay on our backs in the soft grass, watching the stars drift overhead.

…

By the time we returned, the hallway was empty. It seemed as though everyone had either finished their business or decided to regroup elsewhere.

Yahoo~ Are you all here to use the transaction terminals?

Yes. Shizuka, Jordan, and I.

Okie-dokie Artichokie. You have 10 minutes to complete the transaction, at which time you will be forcibly removed from the Dining Hall.

As soon as we entered the room, the door closed behind us with a loud metallic clang. We'd agreed earlier that Shizuka would be in charge of the primary terminal. Spending some time with them in the Eco Lounge had removed any lingering doubts from my mind. I knew they wouldn't betray me. I knew it in my heart. I made my way to the terminal opposite Katashi. Once I stepped in front of the terminal, the front and side walls prevented me from seeing anything. All of my attention was focused on the screen. Whatever happened here would determine my future.

The sensation of placing my hand on something that wasn't physically there felt very surreal. I'd been expecting to feel a slight electric vibration when I placed my palm against its surface, but there was nothing. My terminal beeped as my handprint was verified as my own. The terminal's screen changed, displaying my name and card number: a lonely 5.

On my screen, I could see the word COMBINE light up as it was selected. In a moment, the readout changed to '5 + Shizuka + Katashi' and it was done. We were officially allied.

Congratulations! Your transaction has been completed! Judgment will occur in 8 minutes. Thank you for participating in the Deletion Game!

We exited the Dining Hall into the empty corridor.

I'm glad that's over with. I don't think I've ever said that about a game before.

This isn't just a bunch of pixars on a screen, Shizuka.

You mean pixels.

Whatever. The point is, it's not a game.

Well, I think it's about time for the results.

…

:v: Wow. What a surprise. Who could have seen this coming.

What a relief!

I was safe. I was safe! I wasn't going to die! A tremendous wave of relief washed over me. I knew people who baked cakes or played video games couldn't be that bad! Katashi, Shizuka, and I all had glowing 10s above our names. It wasn't until my eyes searched further along the scoreboard that I saw it: Sora had a 0.

And the Prologue ends same as it always does when Jordan doesn't die- with Sora's death. :smith:

Next update, we move into M!Jordan's round of Logiship, and start the process of getting clues all over again!

Mix. fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 9, 2022

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Well, a silver lining of the path where the Vogels betray you is that the rest of the crew have two easy sacrifices for later rounds. Who in their right mind would trust a doctor (much less two) that tricks a patient of theirs into killing themselves?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It turns out Beatrix was thirsty for… your death :ghost:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

:stonk:

That was... something. What the hell did MJordan do specifically to make those two hate him so much? Didn't Kimiko's mom kill their dad? Or was it their mom?

Cause that does imply the backstory is different for MJordan and FJordan, which is another can of worms.

Quackles posted:

It turns out Beatrix was thirsty for… your death :ghost:

Alternatively FJordan is hotter than MJordan for her, at least enough not to kill her :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

What the hell did MJordan do specifically to make those two hate him so much? Didn't Kimiko's mom kill their dad? Or was it their mom?

Their father was the person killed in the first round of the Deletion Game, while Jordan was still unconscious in the Medical Bay. :eng101:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Seems like a weird choice for both characters to have one set of buddies just be arbitrarily evil at you. To the point that it feels like breaking character to achieve it. Especially Sora, who makes a whole song and dance about your life being more worth saving than hers in every other route where it comes up?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

This is actually somewhat acceptable quantum bullshit, because it makes sense that Jordan's gender would have an effect on how their parents would interact with Everett and this actually actively split the timeline. Notably depending on gender people get notably different card sets, so i'm guessing the Vogels actually hate your guts on the fem route too, it's just that getting your 5 for guaranteed safety was a better deal than the gamble they had to try on the male route.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

img]https://lpix.org/4224766/KatashiAnnoyed.png[/img] Shizuka, you can play after we're done. Right now we should all just try to get some peace and quiet. Let's head to the Eco Lounge.

You forgot to close a tag, but otherwise great work! Can't wait to see more!

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Given the name of the game this was expected (though maybe more a surprise if you're playing it more traditionally, as I assume the game expects you to go through as one character then another), but it's still amusing to pinpoint the exact part of VLR this probably took inspiration from.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Don't really understand how hitting the highest number kills Jordan in the Aryan Doctors route. Shouldn't all three of them die? I thought nobody wanted to hit over 10.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I think the rule is that if you go over 10 each person goes back to their own number. If Jordan has 5 then the docs together are 13, which requires them to have 6 and 7. So they win in that instance

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Bogart posted:

Don't really understand how hitting the highest number kills Jordan in the Aryan Doctors route. Shouldn't all three of them die? I thought nobody wanted to hit over 10.

The goal is to have ten. You can do this by combining with other players or receiving a card as a gift. If your combination of players/cards results in ten, you win. Otherwise, you do not. From the players who don't win, the player with the lowest card loses.

Notably, combining doesn't actually combine your cards into one clump. You're treated as a singular entity for the purposes of all transactions going forward, and whether or not you've made ten, but none of this changes your individual cards.

So I was going to say a whole thing about how well Jordan has the 5 left so they die, but there's definitely something wrong here. The Shizuka/Katashi/Vladimir set had 9, which has a very limited set of options to pull off (6-2-1, 5-3-1, and 4-3-2). The middle one is out, because Jordan has the 5. The Vogels, without Jordan, make 13: this requires (6-7, 8-5, or 9-4). Once again, the middle option is out, since Jordan has the 5 (plus Sora has the 8). This means that either the SKV group is 6-2-1 and the Vogels are 9-4, or SKV has 4-3-2 and the Vogels are 6-7. Either way, Jordan should not have been up for elimination.

I didn't even notice this when I first played, at least not to my recollection, so that's funny.

My theory is that one of Kimiko/Yoshiki has the 1 and the scene was written with them in the SKV group, and then for whatever reason the graphic got changed. Either that, or I'm missing something, which would at least be amusing.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Rosalie_A posted:

So I was going to say a whole thing about how well Jordan has the 5 left so they die, but there's definitely something wrong here. The Shizuka/Katashi/Vladimir set had 9, which has a very limited set of options to pull off (6-2-1, 5-3-1, and 4-3-2). The middle one is out, because Jordan has the 5. The Vogels, without Jordan, make 13: this requires (6-7, 8-5, or 9-4). Once again, the middle option is out, since Jordan has the 5 (plus Sora has the 8). This means that either the SKV group is 6-2-1 and the Vogels are 9-4, or SKV has 4-3-2 and the Vogels are 6-7. Either way, Jordan should not have been up for elimination.

No need to think that hard

If sora has 8, then vlad has a 4, this means that Shizuka and Katashi do indeed have 2+3, which tracks with their sum being 9. Therefore the vogels must have 6 and 7.

That said, the only way we get eliminated here is if busts get priority over solos for deciding who gets eliminated because we ARE the lowest within our busted group in that scenario.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's probably like blackjack where going over is a bust and insta-lose, while being under does not necessarily mean a lose. So the 9 team is safe cause there's a team that busted (notice they are left of Jordan, and normally it goes by 10s and then descending).

...that said, I just realized that for some reason the Psycho Doctors route is the only one where Sora does not give away her card without any reason. FJordan!Solo at least has the crew pact but there's no other reason for MJordan (pairing up is not a reason because Sora loses her card even on succesful pair ups).

What I'm trying to say is that since Sora dying is the intended conclusion the devs should have given her a lower number than Vladmir and suddenly that's never an issue :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

There's some good(ish) news about the Logiship round of the Deletion Game, and that is that like the Prologue with Make 10 both Jordans pretty much share the same bulk of the scenes, just with different clue packages. It isn't until we reach the end of this chapter and someone has to die from Logiship that the flowchart really expands (and the two begin moving away from each other and into different dynamics/situations), so we WILL be getting to a point where things feel more different for our two Jordans. Just... you know. After this chapter. :v:

The reason I say that's good news is, again, it means we can skip over the stuff that M!Jordan shares with his female counterpart. That's part of why I said the votes were important, because by determining what Fem!Jordan would do you were also, in fact, determining what M!Jordan will be doing- which is, well, just doing the exact opposite from her :eng101: All but one of the choices this time around are binary X or Y options- and like the main plot scenes the hangouts and stuff are also shared between the two- so we'll be essentially seeing everything else there is to see leading up to the Logiship game just by going through M!Jordan's week of preparation.

As such, he wakes up after Sora's death and is met by Ai, and the two bond for a moment over their residual guilt over their own percieved fault at the way things have turned out. Jordan requests that Ai see whether she can access her own programming without Dai's knowledge, and if so, attempt to locate Dai in the code to try and pinpoint how she operates and what the parameters of her control are. After Ai agrees and leaves to go perform her duties elsewhere, Jordan decides that he shouldn't just go back to sleep and that he needs something to properly wake himself up and get ready for the day to come:

[BGM: Drink Deep of the Universe]
Nothing gets the day started like...

As you can recall, going to get a snack resulted in us encountering Shizuka and spending some time together. :v: Therefore, we're going to now see who we'll encounter if Jordan were to either go for a shower or go to get some “fresh air”- starting with the shower.

...a hot shower. As my mother was wont to say: “There's nothing quite like a hot shower to start the day, and a cold one to end it.”

I still couldn't wrap my head around the sheer luxury of baths aboard the Everett. Having lived in a small shuttle with my parents my whole life, we'd had access to a basic shower, but nothing like this. And yet, regardless of its unnecessary extravagance, I felt at ease here. If people could make a bath this wonderful on a spaceship, I would have loved to indulge in one on Earth back in its prime.

What prey walks unknowingly into my den...

I swear to science, Beatrix, how do you move so quietly? You always manage to startle me.

It's a family trait, one both my brother and I inherited from our beautiful mother. She was able to move more quietly than I could ever hope to. Our father used to say that she 'slunk gracefully'.

Really? It's a family trait? I never really saw Nikolas as the type of person who would stalk people.

Trust me, the only reason you ever notice his presence is because he allows you to.

Beatrix threw me a wink. What a strange family trait. Come to think of it, I hadn't inherited anything from my parents. Except...

Well, I inherited my parents' hair color.

You're cute, Sailor. Oh, it's a good thing you're here. I needed to talk to you.

What about?

Well, I don't know if you realized this or not, but my brother and I kind of lied to you about our numbers.

Had they lied to me about their numbers? Now that she mentioned it, there was something fishy about yesterday's results...

Wait, you tried to kill me?

Well yeah, but only a little bit...

WHAT THE HELL!

What? I didn't do anything wrong!

I'd say trying to kill me definitely qualifies!

I prefer to look at it as trying to save my brother from a murderous AI system that you somehow triggered.

Do you really think that justifies your actions?

Beatrix mischievous expression hardened into a monstrous grimace. Beatrix's eye twitched noticeably as she approached, her gaze suddenly transforming into a terrifyingly intense glare. She was clearly not going to let me leave her sight anytime soon.

I lost my father less than two weeks ago, I wasn't about to lose my brother, too!

Although Beatrix wore her anger plainly on her face, I could sense an undercurrent of sadness behind her abrasive facade.

...I'm sorry.

Beatrix was taken aback by my response. She may have expected me to argue or to hurl accusations at her, but never to sympathise with her. To be honest, I probably would have done the same thing if I were in her shoes. Of course I would want to protect the ones I loved...

I would have done the same thing if I were you.

Really?

So, what brings you here this morning?

Um, I know this may blow your mind, but I shower.

I felt myself cringe as I finished the sentence. Beatrix looked intensely at me. It didn't look like she'd taken my sassy comment too well.

I think the sexiest thing about a person is their sense of humor. Keep up the good work, Sailor.

I will. Now if you'll excuse me, I would love a shower.

Don't let me being here stop you.

Beatrix didn't move an inch. She stood there, staring at me, as if waiting for something to begin.

I'm not showering in front of you, now get out!

Sheesh, someone's a killjoy. If you change your mind about an audience I'll be in the Medical Bay.

OK, sure, thanks.

Beatrix left the Baths and I could finally shower in peace. I turned the shower on and faced the shower head face on. The water stung as it hit my face before trickling down my chin. After just a few minutes alone, I found myself wishing that she was still there, making blatant advances and comments laced with sexual innuendo. As soon as I was left to my own thoughts, my mind started to wander back to yesterday's execution.

I finished my shower quickly to avoid being alone any longer than I had to. I jumped out of the shower and headed back to my room. I entered my room and put all of my toiletries away; no use taking them to breakfast.

This scene is the only one of the trio that's a little different based on which gender you're playing as; this scene with Fem!Jordan is MOSTLY identical, but it doesn't have the bit about Beatrix and Nikolas lying about their numbers, since, well, they didn't- their numbers actually are 2 and 3 in Fem!Jordan's game of Make 10. :eng101: Instead, Beatrix reaffirms that she's grateful Fem!Jordan didn't die, and makes a joke about how 'she didnt slave over her for days for nothing'.

Anyway, now let's see who he encounters if Jordan decides to go get some “fresh air”.

...fresh air. Well, as fresh as it gets on a spaceship.

The Eco Lounge's simulated fresh air would feel wonderful this early in the morning. Even if I'd never had the chance to experience open-air environments on Earth first-hand, I could easily see their appeal.

I headed out of my room and up the hall towards the Eco Lounge.

…

The Eco Lounge doors opened but to my surprise, Yoshiki was standing in the doorway, almost as surprised as I was.

Yoshiki?

Hey, Jordan, how's it going?

Yoshiki looked like he hadn't slept in ages. I guess I wasn't really one to talk, considering I probably looked every bit as dishevelled as he did.

I came by to get some fresh air, I couldn't sleep.

Hey, me neither! See, we're already BFFs! We even think the same!

Haha, yeah.

I forced a weak smile. Even with everything that had happened, it felt like I was talking to Yoshiki on any other day.

To be honest, I was just about to leave, because, well... don't make fun of me, but- I didn't feel like being all alone. So, would you mind if I stuck around while you're here?

These count as different topics of discussion (or a request to not have a conversation), so we'll be seeing all three of these.

Of course not. Actually, I could probably go for some company too.

Yoshiki grabbed my arm and pulled me swiftly into the Eco Lounge. There he made his way up a small hill, the same place I'd had my picnic with Sora and her family. Once there, Yoshiki sprawled out on the grass and patted the ground beside him. I lay down beside him and the two of us stared out of the large observation window overhead, hands behind our heads.

I wonder what living on a planet is like? I've seen videos of people on Earth using vehicles called cars as a mode of transport, which are like small pods that don't fly. A surface town alone could be roughly one hundred times the length of this spaceship, so they needed ways to get around quickly... that must have been amazing.

...I guess I never really thought about it.

My mum used to tell me that in her country, trains were a very popular mode of transport. She told me that her dad helped work on a train called the Hyperloop, which was so fast that people could travel from one side of the country to the other faster than ever before.

What's a train?

Think like a transportation unit that runs along tracks and can carry heaps and heaps of people at once to set destinations.

That is pretty cool.

My mum loved trains so much that my dad used to joke that she'd have chosen to marry a train over him if it was legal. When I was born, she tried to name me Hankyu instead of Yoshiki. It was the name of her favourite train line.

That is hilarious! Good thing they went with Yoshiki, Hankyu would just be too much.

I started laughing uncontrollably.

Hankyu Sasaki, Hankyu, named after a mode of transport. That would be like me being called Spaceship.

Haha, yeah. It would be silly to have that as a middle name...

Wait... are you upset? I'm sorry, I shouldn't have laughed. Maybe you want to be called Hankyu.

Well, technically I am.

Huh?

Well, you see, it isn't customary for Japanese people to have middle names, but my mum spent a lot of time in Australia when she was at university, and she loved how many Westerners had a middle name, so...

I'm so sorry, I didn't... I mean... I wish I was called Hankyu, I didn't even know I loved the name until just then.

Yoshiki's sombre expression was broken with the end of my sentence with what appeared to be a light bulb moment. He appeared to have just had the greatest idea ever... a smile spread slowly across his face, making me extremely nervous.

Really? Do you mean it? This is perfect!

Huh? What is?

You can take Hankyu as your middle name too, and we can match! Just like a family! No, wait, scratch that...

A look of dawning realisation spread across Yoshiki's face.

We are family!

Um, well...

Yoshiki looked at me with puppy-dog eyes. I released a sigh before continuing that train of thought.

I would love to be Jordan Hankyu.

Come here, fam!

Yoshiki opened his arms wide for a hug. Before I could make my way into his arms, he grew impatient and pounced on me, embracing me and rocking side to side while holding me tight.

Okay, well... I'd say it's probably about time we headed over to the Dining Hall to get some breakfast, so let's head out.

I worked hard to pry myself out of Yoshiki's grip. He didn't look it, but he was incredibly strong. I wondered how ripped he was under that uniform.

Okay, let's go! I'm soooooo hungry.

You're always hungry.

You know me so well.

Yoshiki marched out of the Eco-Lounge humming about food. It felt for a moment that the world had stopped spinning and that everything was back to normal, it was just a regular day and we were just going to have breakfast. I had almost completely forgotten about the Deletion Game... about yesterday and about... I tried to stop thinking and headed out to the Dining Hall. Maybe some food would help take my mind off things.

Next, the middle option.

Wouldn't you rather be with someone other than me?

What? No, why would I?

Well, we've really only known each other for a week, and I thought you might prefer to be with someone you were closer to.

I am close to you! We're BFFs, remember?

Yeah, but...

Time doesn't determine the strength of a bond. Otherwise, love at first sight wouldn't be a thing?

What's love at first sight?

OMG, you don't know?!

Yoshiki's face instantly lit up. The zombified, sleep-deprived Yoshiki that met me in the doorway was no longer in evidence, replaced with an exciteable zombie. It was quite strange, who knew zombies could look so happy?

Come on, BFF! It's story time.

Before I could move, Yoshiki had latched onto my arm and dragged me inside the Eco Lounge. He dragged me along until we reached the hill where I'd picnicked just days ago. Memories and sadness started creeping in but were quashed the moment Yoshiki pulled me to the ground beside him. Yoshiki sprawled out and put his hands behind his head and stared out into space. Before I could even get comfortable, Yoshiki began his explanation.

Love at first sight is what fairy tales are made of. Do you know any fairy tales?

My father used to tell me one as a child.

Really? Awesome! Was it Hansel and Gretel? Or Jack and the Beanstalk. No, wait, I bet it was Snow White!

I thought about it for a moment, wracking my brain to try and figure it out, but ended up coming up empty-handed.

Um, I don't actually remember what it was called. All I know is that it was the only one he ever told me.

If you can tell me the story, I can tell you what it's called!

Okay, let's see if I can remember...

I cleared my throat and started the story as I remembered.

So, atoms make up everything in the universe, and inside an atom is a nucleus, which is made up of protons and neutrons...

Well, this certainly isn't going where I was expecting.

...However, the only atom that doesn't have both protons and neutrons, is the Hydrogen atom. The Hydrogen atom only has a single proton and no neutrons, making it the saddest atom of all.

Yeah, but Hydrogen's nucleus finds a neutron, right? And they live happily ever after?

Yoshiki looked at me expectantly.

No, that's the end of the story. Hydrogen's single proton continues to exist to this day, in a constant state of isolation.

Yoshiki gave me a searching look, simultaneously saddened and confused.

Please promise me you won't ever tell that story to children. It's quite upsetting. I'm pretty sure it's not a fairy tale, either...

Really? That's all I remember ever being told.

Don't worry, your BFF Yoshiki has your back.

Yoshiki looked out at the stars as if they were his long lost love. He brought his hands close to his chest, clasped together, and released a large complacent sigh before continuing.

See, love at first sight is when you fall in love with someone the first time you see them, even though you don't know anything about them. When you first lock eyes- it's like magic. You just feel an instant connection, your heart misses a beat and you can't imagine your life without them, or even remember life without them.

Wow, that seems pretty intense. Have you experienced love at first sight?

Me? Haha, no, but it's in so many fairy tales and movies. I would love to experience it someday- fat chance of that while I'm on a spaceship, though.

What's the use if we're all going to wind up dead here, anyway?

Hey, don't be so negative, we can beat this!

What? Oh, you think I'm talking about Dai, right?

Yoshiki erupted with laughter at the idea.

What's so funny? This isn't a joke, Yoshiki!

No, no it isn't.

Yoshiki wiped the tears from his eyes before explaining himself.

Jordan, this mission is multigenerational, so, technically, none of us will ever leave this ship alive. We'll die here, whether it's by Dai's hand, or- my personal favorite- accidentally stepping out of an airlock while playing hide-and-seek.

Oh yeah. I kind of forgot, what with the impending issues and all...

It's all good, BFF! That's what friends are for- to laugh at your jokes.

It wasn't supposed to be a joke.

That's just your natural talent shining through. Well, would you look at the time, we really should start heading over to the Dining Hall for breakfast... Thanks for spending time with me this morning, Jordan.

Yoshiki marched out of the Eco Lounge humming about food. It felt as if the world had stopped spinning for a moment and that everything was back to normal, just two people going to breakfast like on any other day. I had almost completely forgotten about the Deletion Game and what had happened yesterday... I tried to suppress these thoughts and headed out to the Dining Hall. Maybe some food would help take my mind off things.

And lastly, the bottom option.

I would actually like to be alone.

Oh, OK. I understand. Everybody needs their space sometimes, I guess.

Thanks, Yoshiki. I just need to be alone with my thoughts right now.

I watched Yoshiki as he slunk off down the hallway. Although it would have been nice to have some company, I needed a moment to really get my thoughts together and work out a plan to stop the Deletion Game.

I walked into the Eco Lounge and lay down on top of the hill where I'd picnicked just a week ago. Bracing my head in my hands as a makeshift pillow, I stared out at the stars drifting past the Eco Lounge's large window.

How am I going to fix this? Think, Jordan, think...

After about ten minutes, I started getting a headache. It felt as though long metal skewers sitting just behind my eyes were piercing through my head. I closed my eyes, desperately trying to ignore the pain and focus on...

Jordan, wake up.

Huh? What?

Breakfast is about to begin. The Captain was very particular about all members being in attendance today.

Oh, Ai, hello. I must have fallen asleep.

Indeed you did. You also drooled a little just before I woke you...

Oh, uh...

I quickly wiped my face away before continuing. I tried not to betray my embarrassment, but I was sure my flushed cheeks gave me away.

Breakfast, of course, well, I'd best be on my way.

Before Ai could say anything else, I rushed out of the Eco Lounge and headed towards the Dining Hall.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Yoshiki is alright.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Okay, I can kinda respect Beatrix admitting to almost killing MJordan. She had a (pretty strong) motive, it didn't work out, she had no reason to come clean here except out of respect (or horniness) for him.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Rosalie_A posted:

The goal is to have ten. You can do this by combining with other players or receiving a card as a gift. If your combination of players/cards results in ten, you win. Otherwise, you do not. From the players who don't win, the player with the lowest card loses.

Notably, combining doesn't actually combine your cards into one clump. You're treated as a singular entity for the purposes of all transactions going forward, and whether or not you've made ten, but none of this changes your individual cards.

One potential way this would work is if the rule work that combining does combine your numbers into one clump UNLESS you exceed 10, in which case you "bust" (like exceeding 21 in blackjack) and revert to your individual numbers. Quickly skimming the second post with the rules, this doesn't seem to be directly stated but it also doesn't seem to contradict any of the stated rules. Dai does say that combining cards will let you reach a higher number.

This would make it all fall into place this way:
-The groups with 10 are guaranteed safe.
-S-K-V combined to 9, so their number remains 9. As long as there's at least one person who doesn't get to 10, each of them gets counted as a "9". If we assume they started with 4-3-2, this is actually a perfect defensive move because their effective value of 9 cannot be the lowest value.
-Sora's 8 is an 8, simple enough.
-Since Vogels and Jordan exceeded 10, their value busts and they un-combine back to their original numbers of 6, 7, and Jordan's 5.

Final scoring: three people at 10, SKV-9, Sora-8, Vogel-7, Vogel-6, Jordan-5.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

mycelia posted:

Okay, I can kinda respect Beatrix admitting to almost killing MJordan. She had a (pretty strong) motive, it didn't work out, she had no reason to come clean here except out of respect (or horniness) for him.

She still lied about the motive, and also it's obvious they tried to kill Jordan when you see their numbers so being open about it it's just throwing away the chance to hope they didn't notice that. Now Jordan would have all the reasons to get them dead in retaliation.

Of course Jordan is a datesim protag extremely people-optimistic so it probably won't amount to much. And who knows, maybe Beatrix is the fun kind of crazy :v:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay if votes are open I wanna date Yoshiki. He's so cute and fun!

Also idly curious if there will be a platonic Melody route, or if focus on her just comes bundled with dating Vladimir.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I think the game's just carelessly written. Like there's already a direct conflict between Sora giving her card to Jordan and Jordan seeing that right away, and Sora giving her card to Vladimer and it being hidden until score reveal.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Mix. posted:

Just then, an image appeared where Ai had been standing moments earlier.

If this is a reference to something, it's lost on me. :v:

Since I don't think anyone ever said this - the pink-haired character is from SoulSet.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

gegi posted:

Since I don't think anyone ever said this - the pink-haired character is from SoulSet.

Ah! So they are. I'll update the post with that info, thanks! :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The breakfast scene is the same for both Jordans- and obviously Logiship itself is the same. That said, similar to how the number assignments for Make 10 were different between them, the hint packages (and placement order) are different for him, so the hint that Dai gives him in his quarters is different:

Yahoo~ Sorry to keep you waiting, Jordan.

I wasn't really waiting that long.

So polite. It'll really suck when I have to kill you.

Thank you?

Anyway, I'm here to give you your clue, and I'm not going to repeat myself, so make sure you're listening! “Melody is to the right of Beatrix and to the left of Katashi.”

Got it, thank you.

From here, Jordan takes a nap while waiting for the rest of the clues to be sent out. Once Dai gives the all clear to leave, he decides to go check in on someone after Sora's death the night before; since Fem!Jordan went to go check in on Vladimir and Melody, this Jordan will instead be going to check on the captain.

I couldn't imagine how hard it would be for the captain to cope, knowing she was responsible for the well-being of everyone on this ship, yet being absolutely powerless to prevent people from being executed. I decided to go check on her. I made my way down the hallway before reaching the captain's quarters. I went to press the intercom, when the door opened automatically.

[BGM: With Fear: Hope]

Jordan, how can I help you?

The captain sat on the couch to one side of her quarters, knitting. She was currently sitting very still and was giving me a quizzical look.

How did I open the door?

I currently have it set so that you can enter my quarters without being buzzed in. Was there something you needed?

I was actually coming to see if you were okay.

If I'm okay? Why would you ask that?

We'll be picking both options here, since this is actually a 'topic of conversation' choice, even though it doesn't look like it. :eng101: We'll start with the bottom one first, this time.

I wouldn't, I was wrong. Silly me, of course you're OK. You are captain, after all.

Indeed I am. I must maintain order on this ship as best I can, which means leading by example.

Keep it up, Captain. You're doing a great job.

Flattery will get you nowhere, Jordan.

Isn't the expression 'Flattery will get you everywhere?'

What kind of world would it be if empty words were currency?

...I never really thought of it like that... but anyway, it wasn't meant as flattery, rather admiration.

Hmm?

The captain's right eyebrow spiked with interest as her voice indicated that she wanted to hear more.

I'm being completely honest here. I don't thinK I could do what you're doing.

You would if you were born into it.

What do you mean?

I assume your parents explained the mission to you and how it worked?

I'm still pretty hazy on the memory front. Would you mind explaining?

Of course not.

Put simply: I'm captain of the Everett because I was born to be the captain of the Everett. Just as you were born into the sciences. My mother before me was the first captain of the Everett, and when she passed, I became the captain.

This multigenerational mission is dependant on skills being passed down to the next generation, to ensure that skills essential to the mission aren't lost over time.

So the Vogels' parents were doctors, which is why they're doctors?

Exactly. Shizuka's parents were actually linguists, so she's trained in linguistics, but she also received training in navigation under Sora after the incident. Yoshiki's parents were mechanical engineers, and Katashi's parents were agricultural engineers. If Ai's records are correct, your parents were physicists, so it's relatively safe to assume that you've been trained as a physicist as well.

Don't you think it's a bit heavy-handed to have children born into certain roles?

The captain laughed to herself.

My mother always told me that some people wouldn't be able to see the bigger picture. This isn't a careers fair. We were all born with a purpose, with a duty, and with a responsibility to ourselves, to others, and to the success of the mission.

We must do our time so that our children can do theirs, and their children after them. Eventually, our sacrifices will allow our distant relatives, generations down the line, to be free of these responsibilities and choose to live how they please.

To hear Mother tell it, it's humanity's selfish, 'me first' attitude that got us into this mess in the first place. She always said that the only reason this mission was even necessary to begin with was because individuals on Old Earth refused to look out for anyone other than themselves.

The human race is a machine: all pieces must work in perfect unison in order for us to advance. If one piece suddenly decides that their individual desires are more important than those of the whole, that machine is destined to fail. I'm captain because I need to be captain, just as you are a physicist because you need to be.

Okay, enough bedtime stories. I'm going to bed. I believe you should also head to your quarters.

The captain stood up and signalled me to leave.

Good night, Captain. Thank you for explaining.

The captain smirked, raising her left eyebrow and smiling with her eyes. For a brief moment, she looked happy.

It was my pleasure. Good night, Jordan.

I made my way back to my quarters where I quickly slipped into my bed's comforting embrace. As I closed my eyes, I could see the captain's cheeky little smirk in my mind's eye and it made me smile.

Once in a while, the entire scene plays out differently based on the choice rather than it just being a topic of conversation :eng101: That said, now let's pick the other option.

Well, I just thought that it must be hard, being the captain under these circumstances.

Meaning?

The captain looked at me fiercely. Perhaps this was a mistake, but there was no way to abord this mission now. Breaking out into a cold sweat, I gulped nervously before continuing.

Well, this is your ship, and... people are dying.

People are indeed dying.

What have I done? Her face hardened with that last comment.

You probably feel somewhat responsible, but, you know it's not-

It's not what? Spit it out, Jordan.

It's not your fault.

What?

It's not your fault, and I'm worried that you're carrying the weight of this entire situation on your own.

…

I'm so sorry, it wasn't my place to say any of that. I just feel that this situation must be really hard on you.

The room was filled with tension. Even just remaining in this room any further was uncomfortable. I could feel every muscle in my body contract at once.

Well, I'd best be off to bed. Sorry to bother you, Captain.

I turned to leave and was almost at the front door when the captain spoke.

Thank you.

The captain's face was the gentlest I had ever seen it. Even her eyes were smiling, and- for a brief moment- you would never have guessed that she had the weight of the world on her shoulders.

Good night, Jordan.

Good night, Captain.

After exchanging our goodbyes, I made my way back to my quarters. Thinking about it now, that had gone pretty much as I'd expected. I still wasn't sure if I'd been expecting it to go better or worse, though. I got back to my quarters and lay on my bed staring at the ceiling. The captain had so much on her plate, it must be really hard on her. I wish I could do something to help. As I closed my eyes to sleep, I could still see her smiling eyes.

The next day, Jordan wakes up to a pounding, unnatural headache with a flood of images assaulting his mind. He eventually collapses and, with Ai's help, is found and taken to the Medical Bay. Upon waking up a few hours later, he is comforted by Nikolas, who explains what happened while he was unconscious. (Fun detail, if you're playing as a man Nikolas says he's the one who changed Jordan's clothes, while as a woman he assures her that Beatrix was the one to do it :eng101:)

This leads Jordan to realize that his memory has returned, but with it comes another unnatural headache that causes him to collapse once more. Upon waking up again, he finds himself alone in the Medical Bay, but feeling well enough to go and talk to someone about what he's remembered. Since Fem!Jordan went to talk to Kimiko about it, he's going to instead go talk to Vladimir- after all, Vlad knew his parents. :v:

I should speak to the man who knew my parents personally.

I made my way quietly out of the Medical Bay and headed towards Vladimir and Melody's room. When I reached their room, I pressed the intercom to be let in. Vladimir immediately opened the door.

Jordan, you don't look so good. Are you okay?

I've started remembering things about my parents.

Don't you think you should get dressed before you wander around the ship? Hahaha!

I forgot that I was still in the change of clothes that I was put in after I collapsed. I guess a singlet top and shorts aren't commonplace on a military ship. Vladimir's laugh attracted the attention of a younger, more cynical audience.

Where are your clothes?

I, uh, lost them?

Papa gets angry if I try to just take my clothes off.

Well, you should keep your clothes on. I lost mine, and I miss them a lot.

Do you want me to help you find them?

Well, thanks for offering Melody, but I think I'm just going to talk to your father for a moment.

How rude of me, please come in!

I made my way into Vladimir and Melody's room and sat down slowly on their couch. The pain in my head, although bearable, still made it hard to concentrate.

So, Jordan, your parents?

Yes. I remember their research, I remember their theories, I remember their-

I was suddenly having trouble swallowing. My chest felt heavy, like someone was sitting on it, and every breath was difficult.

Your parents were remarkable scientists. Even though they were physicists, and I had a background in genetics, they were able to run rings around me even in my own field. It was almost infuriating how good they were.

They're dead.

I'm sorry.

But their theory might not be.

What?

I remember everything now, my whole life; I was taught everything they knew, all of their research.

Wait, is that possible?

I'm not 100 percent sure. All I remember is that my parents came up with multiple theories while I was growing up, but they were never able to test them because of the limited equipment aboard the shuttle.

Maybe if I tried to continue their work...

The many-worlds theory.

Yeah.

Vladimir's solemn expression suddenly changed into a look of pure happiness. He jumped off the couch excitedly.

I knew those crazy bastards were onto something!

I said I wasn't 100 percent sure.

I don't need 100 percent, I need only 1 percent!

Huh?

Sora always said: 'Hope is the golden thread that should be woven into every experience of life.'

I'm still not following.

1 percent, 100 percent, all I need is hope to keep going! I almost feel like a new man. Thank you, THANK YOU!

Vladimir grabbed Melody and started spinning her around the room. Melody was laughing heartily.

Daddy, stop, I'm dizzy!

Oh, sorry sweetie.

Sorry, Jordan, but if you could excuse us, it's past Melody's bed time.

Of course.

Thanks.

Goooodniiiiighhht Jordan.

Good night, Melody. Good night, Vladimir.

I left their room and headed back to my quarters, rubbing my still-throbbing head. Perhaps a good night's sleep would see it ease up a bit.

…

I arrived at my quarters to find Nikolas standing outside my door.

Ah, there's my patient.

Oh, sorry Nikolas, I just had to check some things out.

Very well, but I would like you to stay overnight in the Medical Bay so that I can keep an eye on you.

I think I'm fine now, really! It's just a small headache.

I would rather you didn't play hard to get. Not when it comes to your health, anyway...

Nikolas smiled and gestured for me to follow him. I hesitated for a moment before following.

Thank you.

We made our way back to the Medical Bay, and Nikolas put me to bed without delay. Even with my headache, I fell to sleep almost instantly. I must have been really exhausted.

---

If this Jordan had gone to visit Vladimir and Melody after being given his clue, he would have gotten both of their clues; therefore, I've added them to the list (as we've already seen the scene itself, so no need to rehash it).

Our total list of known clues is as follows:

Melody is to the right of Beatrix and to the left of Katashi.

Kimiko is directly between a boy and a girl.

Daddy is to the right of Shizuka.

Mix. fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 15, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Alright gang, we've got another vote coming up next week, so might as well get it going now :v:

You can probably guess that it involves Logiship and who dies at the outcome, but as you saw with the other Jordan, it's pretty hard to tell how many outcomes there actually are at this branch point (as well as who is or isn't up for execution). I'm going to take away the mystery for ONE of those questions so that we can actually vote here: there are three different branching paths from this choice (ignoring the fourth one where Jordan accidentally votes for themselves and they die :v:). That said, I am NOT going to tell you who you're voting for, to keep things spicy :eng101: Therefore, our "vote" is as follows:

Jordan has three "doors" to shoot at; does he shoot at the door on the left, the door in the middle, or the door to the right?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Reveal to me which door has the goat behind it or I will shoot right.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Years of adventure games have taught me that you always take the left door (or shoot at it, I guess).

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

why is it even a question. :goleft:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Regallion posted:

why is it even a question. :goleft:

Because the only thing funner than death games is R*ssian Roulette in a death game.

Voting for the middle door myself.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Middle door seems fine.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Everyone knows that Im a Right voter

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
You can't go wrong when you pick right.

...or that's what they want you to think! :tinfoil:

Left

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Golden middle, of course.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Also, it seems that Kimiko and Nikolas may be love interests for M!Jordan.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Right. No real reason, unless you count being right-handed as one.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Right is uh... fine.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The headaches have subsided by the time Jordan wakes up the following day. As such, he decides to strike while the iron is hot, and asks Ai to show him to where his parents' workplace was aboard the Everett. As he pokes around, Vladimir appears and, excitedly, directs him to where his parents' research materials were stored after they left. Among the countless papers, folders, and other items, Jordan finds a strange pocket watch, but is unable to determine what purpose it serves.

After spending a couple of hours sorting through everything, he decides to take a break for the day and hopes that fresh eyes will help him find something to latch onto when trying to pick their work back up. As such, he decides it's time to go visit another part of the ship...

The hangouts for the rest of this chapter are in a different order based on whether you're playing as male or female Jordan, which is why not all of the hangouts were voted on by the thread- I wanted to make sure I could keep it so that every “day” both Jordans got one hangout :v: We know going to the Eco-Lounge will result in us helping out with Katashi, so instead we're going to go to the Baths.

I should go and see if there's anything I can help Nikolas with.

Before heading out, I checked my tablet to pinpoint his location on the ship. I'd assumed he'd be in the Medical Bay, but it turned out that he was actually in the Baths. When I finally arrived in front of the privacy curtain blocking the doorway to the Baths, I called out to him.

Nikolas, are you in there?

Oh, yes, Jordan. Come in.

After getting the all-clear, I parted the privacy curtain and entered the Baths.

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you.

:v: In case you'd forgotten this VN is also meant to be a romance VN, here's your reminder. I've spoilered it (and the other screenshots with that illustration) even though nothing's shown just to cover my bases (and for people who don't want to see it).

Don't be ridiculous, you aren't disturbing anything. In fact, why don't you join me?

I was just coming to see if you needed help with anything.

You're a bit late there. I cleaned the baths just this morning, so I decided to take the time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

You have to clean the baths?

Someone has to. We all take care of the upkeep in particular areas of the ship. I'm just lucky enough to have the opportunity to enjoy my assignment.

Now, why don't you shower and join me. There is plenty of room for you to join.

One thing I do actually like is that you're given the option here of joining or not joining him- you don't actually miss out on anything important if you say no, as he says he'll finish up and meet you in your quarters to continue your conversation there (where you will still get his clue, if you so desire). Therefore, if you're uncomfortable with the fanservice, the game gives you an out without punishing you at all for not sticking around :eng101: That said, there IS a bit of conversation missed if you leave, so we'll be joining him. :v:

That's a good idea. I am quite tense, so I'm sure a bath will help.

A hot bath will do more than that. Hot baths have been proven to improve blood circulation, lower blood pressure, and even help you fall asleep.

Wow, really? All that?

Of course, I wouldn't lie. Now hurry up and get in here, Doctor's orders.

I took a quick shower before joining Nikolas in the bath. He was right, it was amazing. As my body slipped into the hot water, I could feel my muscles turn to jelly and my shoulders relax.

So what made you decide to come help me?

Well, I haven't been assigned a particular job aboard the Everett yet. Right now I'm looking into some of my parents' old research that I managed to get my hands on, but I still thought I should offer to help around the ship where I can.

That's very generous of you. Luckily for you, however, I'm finished for the day.

I agree, this bath is quite a treat.

If your shuttle is the same as ours, is it safe to assume that you didn't have access to a bath growing up?

You're right, we didn't. I've only ever seen pictures of them until I came aboard the Everett.

Are they as good as you always thought they would be?

They're much better than I thought they'd be, actually. I remember being so skeptical when my mother used to tell me about them. After all, if a shower is sufficient to clean yourself, why waste so much hot water on such a luxury?

But I was wrong- this is amazing.

When my sister and I were younger, our mother had trouble getting us into the bath. So she used to use these things called bath bombs. They were essentially colored balls that were made of a compound of bath salts that disintegrated in the water, releasing a pleasant aroma.

But on the inside, when it finally finished breaking down, there was a toy inside that would float to the surface of the water.

That sounds pretty sweet.

It was. It definitely made me love baths as a child. Beatrix, on the other hand, not so much. She never cared for the toys and, to this day, still hates getting wet. Believe it or not, I actually held onto my favorite bath toy from back then- a little pink dolphin.

Our common love of baths aside, I was hoping we could talk about this round of the Deletion Game.

What about it?

Well, unless you've found a way to prevent the games from occurring, I was hoping we could share information.

Yes, of course. We all need as much information as possible to be able to make informed decisions.

I'm glad you think that way. I may not wish death on anyone in particular, but I'll do everything in my power to protect my sister, and to do so I need to understand where she is to avoid attacking her by accident.

You must really love your sister.

Of course I do. She is trying at times, but we came into this world together. I'll see to it that she stays alive much longer than I do.

Well, I hope this helps. My clue says that Melody is to the right of Beatrix and to the left of Katashi.

Wonderful, thank you so much! Now I have one more clue to try and work out where she is.

My clue says that Shizuka is to the right of Yoshiki.

Thank you, every bit of information helps.

I know that we're twins, but I hope you can understand that I won't share Beatrix's clue without her permission.

Of course, I understand. I guess I'll have to win that battle myself, huh?

Hahaha, you know her all too well, it seems.

Well, I'd best return to my own quarters. Thanks for offering to help me clean the baths today. I appreciate the gesture.

You're welcome, but you should really save your thanks for when I actually put the work in.

Point taken. Good night, Jordan.

Good night, Nikolas.

Nikolas hopped out of the bath and headed out, leaving me to soak a little longer on my own before returning to my quarters.

The next morning, Ai wakes Jordan up to report her findings, which include how Dai takes control, what she can and can't see when Ai is in control, and that they can disable Dai's programming if the deactivation code is able to be located. She leaves to report this information to Kimiko, and Jordan decides who he's going to spend the day with.

Since Fem!Jordan went to check on Melody again, this Jordan is going to go help Beatrix instead.

Beatrix is a fierce competitor and not someone I want to be on the wrong side of, so I'd better go see her.

I checked the tablet and saw that she was in the Medical Bay. Within a few minutes, I'd arrived at my destination.

…

Good day, Beatrix.

Hello, Sailor; to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?

I was wondering if you needed help with anything.

I never need help. That said, I'd never say no to slave labor.

Wait a minute! Slave labor?

Quit standing around and get to work, Sailor.

Beatrix threw me a wink that was somehow both playful and sinister. In that moment, I wasn't sure whether I should be amused or terrified.

Um... you haven't told me what you want me to do yet.

Oh, silly me, I have to assign my slaves tasks, don't I? Such a rookie mistake.

What do you know about handling reproductive genetic material?

Flavor choice.

Well, when a man and a woman love each other very much...

Do they get married first?

Um, yes, I guess?

Well, that's a wonderful grade-school level understanding you have there. How would you feel about joining these genetic materials in holy matrimony? They might even buy their first home together!

Don't be silly.

Hahahaha! So, anyway...

I'm currently preparing and storing some of our reproductive genetic material for once we solve our Deletion Game problem.

What do you mean?

Well, if you want the full explanation, you should ask Vladimir. I'm still kind of his apprentice when it comes to genetics, so I've been following his instructions on how to prepare and store them.

No, I mean, why do we need this for after the Deletion Game?

Oh, that. A part of this mission's success is dependant on our ability to breed as a species and train the next generation to perform key roles.

However, we can't afford to limit the gene pool to only the people on board, or future generations would be forced to resort to inbreeding. This, in turn, would lead to the genetic deterioration of the crew, making them susceptible to a variety of genetic disorders.

I see.

To prevent this from happening, the Everett was stocked with thousands of frozen samples of human reproductive cells from Old Earth. These preparations will ensure that our species remains healthy for generations to come.

So why are you preparing some of these samples now?

Well, once the Deletion Game wraps up and the resource crisis is resolved, we'll need to start reproducing.

Wait, we won't do it naturally?

You afraid to miss out on all the fun?

…...

Hahahahaha. Mission protocol does allow for natural relationships as long as they don't result in inbreeding. However, we also have the means to reproduce without such relationships. This is important for two reasons. Wanna guess why?

Um... so we don't run out of people, and... um... Yeah, I got nothing.

Hahaha. You aren't even close.

The first reason is that people are not necessarily attracted to members of the opposite sex, which can result in poor reproduction practices.

Mission protocol welcomes non-heterosexual relationships as long as both parties are still willing to reproduce by other means. The second reason is the ability to choose the gender. What good would it do us if an entire generation were born male?

We could get away with an all-female generation, however, since we are able to reproduce using the genetic materials in cold storage, but men would have a hard time.

I guess I never really thought about which reproductive practices would be most effective.

It's interesting, right?

I wonder which lucky genetic material will get to bond with myself or Nikolas. It's like winning the lottery!

What happens if someone can't reproduce?

What do you mean what happens? They don't reproduce.

Reproduction is one of our top priorities, but we won't disregard a good set of hands just because someone's infertile.

Thank goodness.

So, are you ready?

Ready for what?

Well, after all this mess is cleaned up, you'll have until you're thirty years old to find a natural partner. If not, you'll be assigned some genetic material of your own that you'll need to raise and groom to adulthood.

That sounds so... clinical.

Don't worry, you'll get used to the idea. I guess we've been told since birth that this is how we'll continue the mission, so it doesn't sound strange to us anymore, but I guess you're still new to all this.

I know that we currently have bigger problems, but this is...

Don't think of it negatively. Think of it as an opportunity to mix your genetic material with far superior samples.

Beatrix winked at me as she handed me a rack of test tubes.

We need to take these to the Lab and collect some frozen samples from one of the medical freezers. Once we've done that, we need to transport them to one of the medical fridges in the Medical Bay.

Okay. Which ones do you want?

When you open the freezer, just grab the top layer and bring them back here.

Yes, Ma'am!

I headed to the Lab, where I collected the samples, and returned swiftly to the Medical Bay.

…

My, that was fast. Agility is a favorable trait, in my opinion.

I handed the samples over to Beatrix, who proceeded to put them in the medical fridge.

Well slave, those were my tasks for the day, so job well done. I hereby release you and grant you your freedom.

Thank you, oh gracious master.

Before we part ways, would you like to share clues?

I'd love to share! I still don't have enough information to figure out where I am yet.

Hahahaha. Afraid to shoot yourself and die a fool?

A little bit, yes.

Well then, let's work together to make sure we don't shoot ourselves.

My clue says that-

That Melody is to the right of me and to the left of Katashi.

Uh, yeah, that's right.

Sailor, I already know. Nikolas told me all about your clue.

Well, I guess I have nothing new to offer you, then.

My clue says that Katashi is to the right of Melody and left of Vladimir.

You're still sharing with me?

Of course. Working with Nikolas is the same as working with me. You've chosen the right team to work with.

Thank you.

Alright, well, I'm beat from dealing with these samples all day, so I'm going to go bathe and then go to bed.

OK. Well, good night, Beatrix.

Good night, Sailor.

With those words, Beatrix exited the Medical Bay and vanished down the hall. I needed to go to bed too if I wanted to start fresh tomorrow on my research into the pocket watch.

---

Like before, I've included the clues from the people we didn't visit- in this case, Katashi, who was in the Eco Lounge. Therefore...

Our total list of known clues is as follows:

Melody is to the right of Beatrix and to the left of Katashi.

Kimiko is directly between a boy and a girl.

Daddy is to the right of Shizuka.

Shizuka is to the right of Yoshiki.

Nikolas is directly between two boys.

Katashi is to the right of Melody and to the left of Vladimir.

Mix. fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 15, 2022

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I know they're awful but I do like the twins :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, time to see if we can make headway with the clues we have! We can already tell the order, but not the positions of these characters, by the clues we have:

Beatrix.....Melody.....Katashi.....Vladmir....Yoshiki....Shizuka

They might not be next to each other, but they have to be in that order, and there's only 3 persons left outside of these! (Kimiko, Jordan and Nikolas).

Sadly, the other clues don't help that much. Nikolas can be between any 2 guys including Jordan for whom we have no clues. And again, Kimiko being between a guy and a girl gets screwed because of Jordan letting her be next to any girl. But! Since Kimiko and Nikolas have to be between 2 characters, they can't be on the extremes! Jordan can though, but that oretty much means Jordan, Shizuka and Beatrix are candidates for the 1 and 9 positions.So yeah, we sadly need more clues, no early solving for us.

On the plot... I guess I'm glad the game filled the plot point of "how do they not end up inbreeding massively" and "how a mission that requires multiple generations is compatible with LGTB characters". Even if it was pretty clinical about it.