Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The egyptians were quite good, but it's still very odd because they'll have shockingly modern medical advice right next to straight up magic spells.

There are spellbooks describing controlled experiments.

"Yeah the magic sigil is supposed to go on frankincense which you eat to cure scorpion stings, but i did a study with a bunch of substances and it turns out the sigil is the active ingredient, doesn't matter what you put it on"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The egyptians were quite good, but it's still very odd because they'll have shockingly modern medical advice right next to straight up magic spells.

Yeah iirc the Edwin Smith papyrus, which is largely a manual of how to diagnose and treat traumatic injuries like conks on the head, sucking chest wounds and broken limbs, has a few magic spells on the back side.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I was pulling articles for a request some time ago and came across the Chinese Journal of Non-Evidence-Based Medicine or something like that, and I had to ask, what are they just throwing darts at a dartboard? Even bad medicine must have some evidence behind it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

China basically has an entire cottage industry of bullshit journals set up to "prove" all their traditional medicine definitely works and totally isn't just huffing ground up rare animals.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Mar 7, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is TCM all modern huckster bullshit? It's a whole other level from chewing on bark to relieve headaches, or cleaning wounds with maggots, cuz those help. I can even see why nasty poo poo like maggots or treppaning a conscious person would add credence to harmful stuff like bleeding.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

basically it goes back to Mao needing doctors, not having enough doctors, and deciding he could fill the gap with propaganda

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Mao needing doctors, not having enough doctors
...because they all died on dirt farms, no?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AvesPKS posted:

I was pulling articles for a request some time ago and came across the Chinese Journal of Non-Evidence-Based Medicine or something like that, and I had to ask, what are they just throwing darts at a dartboard? Even bad medicine must have some evidence behind it.

It's really easy to manufacture evidence for bad medicine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seems like some people ITT are having a surprisingly large amount of trouble trying to grasp what "non-evidence-based" means.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People today and people ages ago both use non-evidence-based reasoning all the time, therefore, it is still interesting to know why or how they came to these conclusions, because they weren't dumber than us.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Evidenced-based medicine” is a bit like “baby-friendly hospital”, in that it sounds like an unalloyed good, but when you look at what the practice actually entails, there are substantial negative consequences.

That said, I know nothing about that journal, only that EBM has some real problems.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
So, you prefer evidence free medicine?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sure medicine is all well and good but it could do with some more mystery.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People today and people ages ago both use non-evidence-based reasoning all the time, therefore, it is still interesting to know why or how they came to these conclusions, because they weren't dumber than us.
hey now, some of them were

for example, Timothy Dexter would have made an excellent poster

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Platystemon posted:

“Evidenced-based medicine” is a bit like “baby-friendly hospital”, in that it sounds like an unalloyed good, but when you look at what the practice actually entails, there are substantial negative consequences.

That said, I know nothing about that journal, only that EBM has some real problems.

I like the implication that there are hospitals where doctors are just unapologetically mean to babies.

gently caress off baby, you stupid shithead

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I swear to god, if I see one more baby I'm gonna lose it! I'M GONNA LOSE IT JERRY!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

christmas boots posted:

I like the implication that there are hospitals where doctors are just unapologetically mean to babies.

It's where all of the antisocial-workers go.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I supposed I should give an example of evidence‐based medicine losing the plot.

Certain proponents of evidenced‐based medicine have of late been suggesting that maybe surgical‐style masks are just as good as N95/FFP3 for protection from pandemic coronavirus and maybe hospitals should ditch N95s or at least allow trials to be run.

There actually are a few studies showing N95 respirators working in real hospitals, conducted before the coronavirus pandemic, but that’s not the point.

There are solid mechanistic reasons for believing that N95 respirators provide superior protection. Supplying healthcare workers with loose‐fitting surgical masks is like throwing someone out of a plane naked because there have never been randomized controlled trials showing that parachutes work.

P.S.: The con to “baby‐friendly” hospitals is that they tend to be awful for the delivering parent, and can be worse for the baby, too, because exhausted, stressed people are not necessarily best able to care for the baby. Dropping babies is not good for their wellbeing.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Mar 9, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

christmas boots posted:

As an ex-baby (now reformed) I say kill 'em all.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
"i reject evidence-based medicine because of covid" is some expanding :ironicat: poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moonmazed posted:

"i reject evidence-based medicine because of covid" is some expanding :ironicat: poo poo
I think this is the strict interpretation of 'evidence based' rather than the general 'yes, we should have our medical practice be informed by evidence and scientific research.' We have no evidence that leeching does not cure or help COVID-19 because nobody's gonna try that poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

moonmazed posted:

drat if this is the reading comprehension coming out of schools lately, we’re going to have some real problems.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
No see evidence-based medicine uses the fringed admiralty flag so as a result the rhinoceros was not traveling and the horn was forfeit to a citizen of the land looking to enlarge his penis

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Eh, dropping babies is fine. I fell down a flight of stairs as a baby and aside from a dent in my skull, look how I turned out.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Platystemon posted:

Certain proponents of evidenced‐based medicine have of late been suggesting that maybe surgical‐style masks are just as good as N95/FFP3 for protection from pandemic coronavirus and maybe hospitals should ditch N95s or at least allow trials to be run.

There actually are a few studies showing N95 respirators working in real hospitals, conducted before the coronavirus pandemic, but that’s not the point.

There are solid mechanistic reasons for believing that N95 respirators provide superior protection. Supplying healthcare workers with loose‐fitting surgical masks is like throwing someone out of a plane naked because there have never been randomized controlled trials showing that parachutes work.

P.S.: The con to “baby‐friendly” hospitals is that they tend to be awful for the delivering parent, and can be worse for the baby, too, because exhausted, stressed people are not necessarily best able to care for the baby. Dropping babies is not good for their wellbeing.
Really earning that custom text, huh?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Breetai posted:

Really earning that custom text, huh?

I’ve had it since July.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
For a good part of 2020 the Danish government advice was against masking in the general population because:

A) There was no evidence that it helps (because it hadn't been studied specifically for Covid-19 yet)
B) There was concern about the supply.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

NFX posted:

For a good part of 2020 the Danish government advice was against masking in the general population because:

A) There was no evidence that it helps (because it hadn't been studied specifically for Covid-19 yet)
B) There was concern about the supply.

And then the numbers exploded and it was VERY quickly changed, so yeah.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

I'm not convinced that this example is evidence based medicine vs not. "N95s have physical properties conducive to preventing illness" is evidence based. "There are no clinical studies of N95" is also evidence based. It's not beep boop clinical studies only, the evidence based robot dismisses your physics.

In fact evidence based medicine has tools to manage that idea. We have different burdens of evidence for something that you can use as an out of body prophylaxis vs internal medicine. It's also built in to allow changing conclusions based on evidence changing. These are like core benefits of the scientific method applied to healthcare.

Call it out as what it is. N95 hand wringing is political and capitalistic abuse of the system to cut corners, justify budgets, or assuage shortage concerns.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

When it comes to covid, "science" conveniently changes to make it so that whatever encourages people to spend money is safe. It's not a problem with evidence itself, it's a problem with politicizing public health bodies. Restaurants are an insane idea during an airborne pandemic, but service jobs are a big sector of the economy, so they declare it's OK to take off your mask in public if you're eating.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I changed my mind. Actually evidence based medicine is only animal tests and clinical trials. I demand rats be given little tiny N95s strapped to their face and the resulting cute pictures be posted to the internet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60662541

The Endurance has been found. Let's all talk about Shackleton instead of fake medicine

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah let's talk about the Endurance and how Shackleton updated his crew's diet and successfully avoided scurvy and fake medicine

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The british polar expeditions were such poo poo shows. The moment they arrive on one of the poles something goes horribly wrong and instead of being a scientific expedition it becomes a desperate struggle to not die.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Alhazred posted:

The british polar expeditions were such poo poo shows. The moment they arrive on one of the poles something goes horribly wrong and instead of being a scientific expedition it becomes a desperate struggle to not die.

Look, the missions were to reach the poles.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Alhazred posted:

the polaris expedition is legit one of the funniest things that has ever happened. like, the crew split into three completely irresolvable factions, under the three conflicting captains the expedition also had for some reason, before they made it out of port. before they cleared newfoundland they were openly talking about when they were going to give up and clarifying that if any arctic expeditionary firsts were by some miracle accomplished how they'd make sure to cut that other fucker fake captain out of any credit. they credibly at one point might have conspired to just come back and all pretend they made it, poo poo who could tell otherwise.

one of the captains fell near fatally ill after drinking a coffee from the ship's doctor (who was his mortal enemy because of a love triangle entirely separate and previous to this expedition), accused him of trying to poison him and refused all treatment and food or drink from him for two weeks until he was gradually convinced by others he was being paranoid, drank a cup of coffee which the ship's doctor had access to and immediately died. the british admiralty accepted the cause of death, you'll never guess who got to decide what that was, although at the trial he also explained that because it was cold out and he'd drank warm coffee who knows maybe his heart exploded. many decades later they dug up the body and found two enormous doses of arsenic in his system, two weeks apart, a mystery for the ages.

things pretty much went to poo poo from there. the remaining captians both start getting into the scientific alcohol stores and one of them is constantly drunk. the wikipedia article for it is legit totally great and includes one of my favourite sentences, which is "For purposes unknown, Budington chose to issue the ship's supply of firearms to the crew."

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Trabant posted:

Look, the missions were to reach the poles.

Sir Shackleton standing on the deck in the Victorian equivalent of a flight jacket and aviators, in front of a big sign that says Jᴏʟʟʏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ sʜᴏᴡ ᴄʜᴀᴘs

CoolCab posted:

many decades later they dug up the body and found two enormous doses of arsenic in his system, two weeks apart, a mystery for the ages.

:vince:

mrpwase has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Mar 9, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A fun fact about the discovery of the northwest passage: Roald Amundsen had to loan a lot of money to get the expedition started. As time went the creditors grew impatient and threatened to seize his ship. Amundsen's solution was to literally slip away at night. When he reached international waters he found some rum and made a toast where he said: "Boys, we've escaped the creditors. Now all that mattes is that everyone does their duty and this will be easy. Cheers!" After three years they found the passage and ran into american whaling captain Charles Hansson, according to legend the captain exclaimed "you're either insane or you're norwegians" when he met them.
The creditors had forgiven his debt but Amundsen still wrote them a message and said that after talking to the prime minister of Norway they had agreed that the debt would be paid, either by the government or by Amundsen personally.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

CoolCab posted:

the polaris expedition is legit one of the funniest things that has ever happened. like, the crew split into three completely irresolvable factions, under the three conflicting captains the expedition also had for some reason, before they made it out of port. before they cleared newfoundland they were openly talking about when they were going to give up and clarifying that if any arctic expeditionary firsts were by some miracle accomplished how they'd make sure to cut that other fucker fake captain out of any credit. they credibly at one point might have conspired to just come back and all pretend they made it, poo poo who could tell otherwise.

one of the captains fell near fatally ill after drinking a coffee from the ship's doctor (who was his mortal enemy because of a love triangle entirely separate and previous to this expedition), accused him of trying to poison him and refused all treatment and food or drink from him for two weeks until he was gradually convinced by others he was being paranoid, drank a cup of coffee which the ship's doctor had access to and immediately died. the british admiralty accepted the cause of death, you'll never guess who got to decide what that was, although at the trial he also explained that because it was cold out and he'd drank warm coffee who knows maybe his heart exploded. many decades later they dug up the body and found two enormous doses of arsenic in his system, two weeks apart, a mystery for the ages.

things pretty much went to poo poo from there. the remaining captians both start getting into the scientific alcohol stores and one of them is constantly drunk. the wikipedia article for it is legit totally great and includes one of my favourite sentences, which is "For purposes unknown, Budington chose to issue the ship's supply of firearms to the crew."

Throw in a kraken and you've got Obra Dinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reminds me I still havent finished watching The Terror. Though you don't need a demon polar bear to murder an Arctic expedition, just an incomplete understanding of nutrition in an environment utterly hostile to those who haven't spent their entire lives learning how to live there.

Also it's kind of crazy to me that Endurance, a three-masted tall ship with an auxiliary engine, was built in the very same year as HMS Titanic. Presumably sailing vessels were preferred for exploration duty at the time due to not being utterly dependent on fuel to get out of dodge?