Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

lol at having a cvv of 000 you’re screwed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In light of rising gas prices and petroleum dependence, we must immediately transition to sustainable biofuel-powered vehicles.

By which I mean

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My city has started sending out traffic engineers as part of the police response to traffic wrecks. Their job is to see if the cause had anything to do with street design so that they can make streets safer. Good idea!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
With gas prices going up I sometimes wonder why so few people consider motorcycles. If I lived in the burbs and had to drive 25 minutes to work, I'd consider something like a honda grom, which gets ~120 mpg and looks fun to ride

And then I remember the reality of roads in the suburbs, and the political climate and identity politics. In high school I briefly rode a little motorized scooter, and basically every adult who stopped to talk to me about it called me a gaywad or little kid lol. also it was terrifying driving something that maxed out at 30mph. the speed limit on local roads was also 30 but that didn't prevent people from driving 1 inch from my bumper (which basically means I would instantly die if I fell off)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

perfect specimen of homo automobilicus

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

With gas prices going up I sometimes wonder why so few people consider motorcycles. If I lived in the burbs and had to drive 25 minutes to work, I'd consider something like a honda grom, which gets ~120 mpg and looks fun to ride

And then I remember the reality of roads in the suburbs, and the political climate and identity politics. In high school I briefly rode a little motorized scooter, and basically every adult who stopped to talk to me about it called me a gaywad or little kid lol. also it was terrifying driving something that maxed out at 30mph. the speed limit on local roads was also 30 but that didn't prevent people from driving 1 inch from my bumper (which basically means I would instantly die if I fell off)

Yeah, the root of it is that vehicle ownership in the US is more about identity than function. See that video about Harley Davidson floundering, for example. Or the research that shows that SUV drivers are more selfish. Combine that with how antisocial we are culturally, and some conspicuous consumption, and you get everyone driving around in monster trucks. I don't like that joke about truck drivers having small dicks, but it's absolutely true that they're trying to project something about themselves by owning their vehicles.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

perfect specimen of homo automobilicus

holy poo poo, you're right, it's graham!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YyWbOAu6S8

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My city has started sending out traffic engineers as part of the police response to traffic wrecks. Their job is to see if the cause had anything to do with street design so that they can make streets safer. Good idea!

:hmmyes: making the traffic engineers stand in the mess they made is a good punishment

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

imagine the mileage if the car had to haul 150 less pounds

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Clark Nova posted:

love that cars are transforming the inhabitants of exurbia into a Dril illustration

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Harik posted:

speaking of single tracking and freight priority lol, lmao they used the pandemic ridership drop to force the state to let freight trains run on the rail lines during the day. one of the big selling points of the commuter trains was that not only would they bypass traffic, but they'd just zip through crossings instead of parking for 20 minutes like freight does.

now they're slower (freight priority) AND the freight trains snarl traffic during rush hour.

taking the train for the first time in a few years today since i'm actually needing to go where it goes when it's open for once. can't wait to see how much they've hosed it up!

wonder if their garbage overpriced payment system is still costing them more than it's making in revenue. It's so well designed that it helpfully told me my CVV was invalid because it's unpossible that any bank could randomly assign 000.

Lol

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

cool av posted:

lol at having a cvv of 000 you’re screwed

he's the credit card equivalent of those guys whose house gets raided by the fbi twice a week because it's at the default gps coordinates

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Horace posted:

he's the credit card equivalent of those guys whose house gets raided by the fbi twice a week because it's at the default gps coordinates

if you mean this one it's because their house is at the center of the country and it was used as a default when an IP address couldn't be precisely geolocated

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/08/11/couple-sue-over-ip-glitch-that-repeatedly-sent-feds-to-their-house/

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Mar 9, 2022

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

living at the exact geographical center of this devil cracker nation probably provides enough psychic trauma on its own without getting repeatedly raided by the feds

e: you are in some senses the furthest person on earth from humane healthcare

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

living at the exact geographical center of this devil cracker nation probably provides enough psychic trauma on its own without getting repeatedly raided by the feds

e: you are in some senses the furthest person on earth from humane healthcare

Look fellers, I'm just the keeper of this here Hell Gate which links our Earthly world to the nether-realm of twisted shadow creatures and fiendish abominations. I don't know nothin about no "I-Pee" Address, now ya'd best be gettin on cuz we're fixing to feed our Cerberus

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
New video from 'Not just Bikes' talking about how suburbia is a money pit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI

Climate Town talking about how the oil industry is faking poo poo to change laws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJOuyckvDGY

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

New video from 'Not just Bikes' talking about how suburbia is a money pit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI

By only telling the truth this analysis is weighted unfairly against the suburbs, where people sometimes drive to city centers from.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, the root of it is that vehicle ownership in the US is more about identity than function. See that video about Harley Davidson floundering, for example. Or the research that shows that SUV drivers are more selfish. Combine that with how antisocial we are culturally, and some conspicuous consumption, and you get everyone driving around in monster trucks. I don't like that joke about truck drivers having small dicks, but it's absolutely true that they're trying to project something about themselves by owning their vehicles.

its not a joke

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
not everyone buys a truck to compensate for a small dick. I want a motorcycle, for instance

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
gas prices are too low

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

if you ever look properly at the side of an out of town round (for example, if you're walking or cycling) you start to notice that there is trash everywhere. just like loads of wrappers, drinks cans, empty vodka bottles. the taint on our land of automobiles is Incredible

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

distortion park posted:

if you ever look properly at the side of an out of town round (for example, if you're walking or cycling) you start to notice that there is trash everywhere. just like loads of wrappers, drinks cans, empty vodka bottles. the taint on our land of automobiles is Incredible

I hate litter so much. It's so pointless. At least cars have some utility even if it can be met more efficiently by other means

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I saw one of those Cadillac Escalade.... trucks lol

and with tinted windows

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1501683694754480129?t=PcL5wdAYgdEjP-yPU9Fi-g&s=19

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

hastily spray painted bollard top, cardboard sign cable tied onto adjacent bollard... someone 'important' had their car kebabbed by a rising bollard here

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Lum_/status/1502386249310560257?s=20&t=r55qk0KUQrHCFjFfC6vlbw

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
that last panel :discourse:

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

drat Lum is still around? Used to bullshit with him about MMOs in IRC in high school, dude owns

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YyWbOAu6S8

:hmmyes: making the traffic engineers stand in the mess they made is a good punishment

lol holy gently caress

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my parents are in their mid-70s, and are going from two cars to one car

but the two cars were sedans, and the one car is going to be a mid-size SUV, because the SUV is easier to get into lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I had to go to Dallas, in loving August, for some event at a hotel. I had someone with me who was in a wheelchair. We had to cross this lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I had to go to Dallas, in loving August, for some event at a hotel. I had someone with me who was in a wheelchair. We had to cross this lol

wow, what a humane and beautiful landscape.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

actionjackson posted:

There's lines on the ground for the driver to ignore, what more can you ask?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

actionjackson posted:

Oh yeah portland has one of these at 82nd and johnson creek

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i watched Fast9 last night and if cars were more like that irl I'd be down.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Oh yeah portland has one of these at 82nd and johnson creek
[Location in America] has one of those too

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

actionjackson posted:

my parents are in their mid-70s, and are going from two cars to one car

but the two cars were sedans, and the one car is going to be a mid-size SUV, because the SUV is easier to get into lol
yeah olds have a real problem with low vehicles, or low beds etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is that why they hate low riders