Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Appoda posted:

The funny about that is that he brings it up and then immediately undercuts his own both-sidesing with "Well they didn't do it in Hawaii, where most Japanese-Americans actually live. I'm just asking questions"

He also brings up that German and Italian Americans weren't interred either, even first generation immigrants, but his follow up is "but hey it was a climate of fear and nations do crazy things when they're afraid. It definitely wasn't about racism."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Dan Carlin's "I'm not a historian" mantra is one of the most pitiful examples of intellectual cowardice that I can think of.

If I ever start a history podcast I'm gonna lead with "I am history's greatest historian. Suck it Herodotus, Gibbon, Suetonius. Losers all of you" then a brisk 5 minute guitar solo thus demonstrating I am also the worlds greatest guitarist, and on with the show.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Deptfordx posted:

If I ever start a history podcast I'm gonna lead with "I am history's greatest historian. Suck it Herodotus, Gibbon, Suetonius. Losers all of you" then a brisk 5 minute guitar solo thus demonstrating I am also the worlds greatest guitarist, and on with the show.

Well, I'm convinced!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Deptfordx posted:

Boomer lives!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cockblocktopus posted:

Boomer lives!

Hell I would argue Marons work will and already has significantly more historical value than anything hardcore does, easily

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Any good literature podcasts?
How is "History of Literature"?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

escape artist posted:

I listened to a couple episodes and didn't think much of it.

I've been on the lookout and I haven't found any good literature podcasts. I want something that's like Byzantium and Friends but for seventeenth century lit.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
I also wasn’t that impressed with History of Literature. Good range but the discussion never felt that deep and there was something offputting about the dude’s up-and-down delivery.

Would recommend ‘Literature and History’ though. The host is maybe a little too much of a cheerfully earnest academic - I always skip the little acoustic guitar songs at the end - but he’s good on the cultural context for what he’s talking about and goes into some depth. The show started with Gilgamesh and is currently somewhere around episode 100, still working through late antiquity, so wouldn’t expect 17th c. lit anytime soon…

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
A thread about history podcasts, maybe something gets mentioned you don't know about yet

https://old.reddit.com/r/podcasts/comments/td7ybs/im_currently_obsessed_with_history_podcasts/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

escape artist posted:

The Cannon Ball :

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-canon-ball/id1202558454

"In this podcast, Claude and Daniel achieve something that’s almost impossible: they deliver PhD-level knowledge and insight about canonical literary texts without relying unnecessarily (or with more-than-occasional frequency) on academic jargon."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Cannon Ball :

"In this podcast, Claude and Daniel achieve something that’s almost impossible: they deliver PhD-level knowledge and insight about canonical literary texts without relying unnecessarily (or with more-than-occasional frequency) on academic jargon."

I think that is the one of the guys from Lesser Bonapartes, so I wonder how many record store analogies we get in every episode

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Glumslinger posted:

I think that is the one of the guys from Lesser Bonapartes, so I wonder how many record store analogies we get in every episode

I'm not sure, but one of them is the more knowledgeable host and the other one is coming into the episode a bit less educated on the subject, but unlike, say, a Dollop situation, they both have some sort of higher education. I'm not trying to be elitist, I just mean it's not one person saying "oh wow" while the other one lectures to him.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I like the content of the British History podcast but so far I'm bouncing off the tone. Someone noted that it in some way improves after a few episodes: does this mean fewer lame jokes and fluffy editorial asides?

Replying to an 8 month old post to say I fished listening to the series today. No it doesn't.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Cannon Ball :

Ain't never listened but checking the feed and they got Goethe and Gene Wolfe as two of their first subjects, I think these kids mighta made this pod just for me.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I've been listening to the Canon Ball & reading along (slowly, I'm up to Samuel Johnson now). It's a good level of discourse; not terribly in-depth but I think there's always something interesting in there.

So far I've probably enjoyed the Montaigne episodes the most, and I think it'll be interesting to see what I get next since one of them said they considered Johnson to be, "What if Montaigne but kind of a dick?"

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm not sure, but one of them is the more knowledgeable host and the other one is coming into the episode a bit less educated on the subject, but unlike, say, a Dollop situation, they both have some sort of higher education. I'm not trying to be elitist, I just mean it's not one person saying "oh wow" while the other one lectures to him.

One of the host's better qualities is that he will fully listen to and allow the less knowledgeable guy to go on about what he was getting out of it, and play off that pretty well, even if he's probably heard it from students many times over.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 15, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Arrhythmia posted:

Replying to an 8 month old post to say I fished listening to the series today. No it doesn't.

Gotcha - thanks. I actually liked the analysis the podcast was focused on analysis but I just don't want a pop culture analogy to explain basic historical concepts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1506833071785615368?cxt=HHwWkIC9ub-srOkpAAAA

Heads up if you weren't aware. Don't listen to the Ancient Greece podcast.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks for the heads up, guess I can clear some space out of my backlog.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Conflicted wrapped up a three part series on the Wall Street Crash of 1929 this week, I really enjoyed it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I listened to http://civilwarpodcast.org/ back when it first started, but found that it got so dull to listen to, I started falling asleep. Not good when you are handling hazardous chemicals. Did anyone else ever listen to it? Did it ever get better? How the gently caress is it not over after a decade? Are any of the hosts secret bigots?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

are there any good whistle-stop tour history podcasts, with a sort of lighter approach to things? i'm not that worried about strict factual accuracy, as long as the podcast is upfront that things they are presenting didn't necessarily happen/happen this way, but are interesting and factual in the sense that this is what was recorded.

i put on a bbc podcast called 'you're dead to me' last night at work and this is basically what i'm after except it seems like episodes have a revolving door of mid-tier british comedians on it so i listend to an episode on queen boudica, which was really good, but then had to turn off a few others because the guys on them were annoying me, even though i had clicked on subjects i was interested in.

i don't know much history at all so i don't want to deep dive into a 50 hour series on just rome, or anything like that, i want to get a sense of what the big stories are from ancient history up to modern, and then i can focus on one area at some point if i want to later.

so something with a pretty set cast/presenters, and preferrably something that is conversational rather than a monologue.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

roomtone posted:

are there any good whistle-stop tour history podcasts, with a sort of lighter approach to things? i'm not that worried about strict factual accuracy, as long as the podcast is upfront that things they are presenting didn't necessarily happen/happen this way, but are interesting and factual in the sense that this is what was recorded.

i put on a bbc podcast called 'you're dead to me' last night at work and this is basically what i'm after except it seems like episodes have a revolving door of mid-tier british comedians on it so i listend to an episode on queen boudica, which was really good, but then had to turn off a few others because the guys on them were annoying me, even though i had clicked on subjects i was interested in.

i don't know much history at all so i don't want to deep dive into a 50 hour series on just rome, or anything like that, i want to get a sense of what the big stories are from ancient history up to modern, and then i can focus on one area at some point if i want to later.

so something with a pretty set cast/presenters, and preferrably something that is conversational rather than a monologue.

You're sort of describing both "Do Go On" and "the Dollop" I think? Both are "one comedian reads absurd history to other comedians who react to the stupid stuff people actually did".

If you want to give either a try, suggestions for the Dollop could be ep. 12 "the rube" or 207 "the Horror of Macquarie Island", and for Do Go On maybe 226 "the East German balloon escape" or 332 santa claus bank robbery 229 "the Eiffel Tower"

E. Wait I misunderstood you, sorry. You want a overview of world history, not to gaze at the humanity of humanitys weaker moments (and laugh)?

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 9, 2022

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

roomtone posted:

Honestly, look into other BBC podcasts. A History of the World in 100 Objects might be up your alley.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cockblocktopus posted:

Honestly, look into other BBC podcasts. A History of the World in 100 Objects might be up your alley.

That was a good series.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I listened to http://civilwarpodcast.org/ back when it first started, but found that it got so dull to listen to, I started falling asleep. Not good when you are handling hazardous chemicals. Did anyone else ever listen to it? Did it ever get better? How the gently caress is it not over after a decade? Are any of the hosts secret bigots?

I shelved it a couple years ago cos they werent putting eps out fast enough and I wanted a larger back catalog.

roomtone posted:

In Our Time is pretty close to what you're looking for imo

WEH fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 9, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

roomtone posted:

The Omnibus Podcast is full of weird (mostly) historical esoterica, I feel like "whistle stop" is exactly the phrase I'd use to describe it. I really like it but be aware it does have Two White Guys Explaining Things vibes. It also has a shitload of episodes, I think just over 450 (two per week). You could take a gander at some of the subjects and see if it interests you.

The hosts are Ken Jennings aka "that guy who's good at Jeopardy and now hosts it" and John Roderick aka "Bean Dad Twitter main character who was replaced in the discourse by January 6"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

roomtone posted:

Futility closet isn't exactly straight history, but rather a collection of strange curios they've found. For example the first hippos in Paris and their journey, Jules vernes lost novel, the Quaker oats company selling postage stamp sized plots of land in the Yukon, the scientists who starved while protecting a seed vault in Leningrad during the German siege, the lion who escaped into London's sewers, and the story of Janusz Korczak.

Highly recommended and I've not found something to replace it since they've retired

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

rotinaj posted:

If you found it dull before it might not be much better for your now. Maybe grab a new episode and see, but it pretty much is what it is: slow and pretty detailed with tons of peeks at minor side stories, though they've mostly put those in the patreon episodes. And they do seem to be actually good people.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

For conversational history podcasts, I quite like Lions led by Donkeys, which is a military vet telling his mostly-other-vet friends about dumb poo poo that has happened in military history. Content ranges from broadly covering lesser-known conflicts over several episodes to one-offs about weird people, weird battles or the stories of heroic service animals. I recommend the episode about Tarrare and Charles Domery if you want a one-off.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
They also dedicate an episode to Kevin Patrick Dawes, also known as Caro, also known as the unwell SA goon who went to Syria for freedom fighting and ended up in a dungeon for several years.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

They also dedicate an episode to Kevin Patrick Dawes, also known as Caro, also known as the unwell SA goon who went to Syria for freedom fighting and ended up in a dungeon for several years.

Is he still alive?

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Violet_Sky posted:

Is he still alive?

Yes

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Has anyone else ever had an episode of a podcast they liked be so factually wrong that it ends up spoiling their trust in that podcast? Because I recently listened to the M-16 episode of the Lions Led by Donkeys and they make some outlandish claims that are so reality bendingly bizarre that it's kind of ruined the podcast for me. And not just gun nerd poo poo things, but stuff that if you thought about it for like 10 seconds should set off your bullshit alarm and should have never made it into an episode. One of the claims was something like the ballistics of 5.56 are such that if you hit a person in the leg it would ricochet around inside them and come out of their chest. The entire episode I was basically looking like this :psyduck:.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Prof. Banks posted:

Has anyone else ever had an episode of a podcast they liked be so factually wrong that it ends up spoiling their trust in that podcast? Because I recently listened to the M-16 episode of the Lions Led by Donkeys and they make some outlandish claims that are so reality bendingly bizarre that it's kind of ruined the podcast for me. And not just gun nerd poo poo things, but stuff that if you thought about it for like 10 seconds should set off your bullshit alarm and should have never made it into an episode. One of the claims was something like the ballistics of 5.56 are such that if you hit a person in the leg it would ricochet around inside them and come out of their chest. The entire episode I was basically looking like this :psyduck:.

Was it an April Fool's episode? Because I'm the polar opposite of a gun person but that just sounds ludicrous

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea 'the bullet ricochets around inside you to make it super extra deadly' is like, super classic gun meme jokes for people either trying to make their gun sound more badass and scary or someone uniformed trying to make a gun sound scary. I've never listened so maybe they are just really dumb but I'd be kinda shocked if they unironically were spouting one of the most common dumb guy gun memes

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Prof. Banks posted:

penn spoiled his podcast career for me by being so vocally lolbertarian about recycling and environmentalism as a whole on an episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit

Made it real hard for me to take any of his forays seriously after that, since I had a grain of salt the size of a small boulder next to his name in my mind from then on

His social views were pretty good otherwise, if I remember correctly, but I had to think of everything with him as being from a very capitalistic/libertarian stance and it kinda ruined him for me for everything until Fool Us. I liked his Penn's Sunday School podcast very early on, but once I internalized how he sees the world, he was less fun to listen to rant

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Prof. Banks posted:

Has anyone else ever had an episode of a podcast they liked be so factually wrong that it ends up spoiling their trust in that podcast?

Back in the day I really liked Radiolab up until the moment it covered something that I knew a lot about.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Prof. Banks posted:

Could this have possibly been a joke? They seem to have fired weapons before

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Prof. Banks posted:

Donkeys generally falls into the bro history podcast where it tends to be fun and interesting, but I wouldn't repeat any outlandish claims I heard there without double checking first. They spend the first 100 episodes actively drunk while recording

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Prof. Banks posted:

I tried listening to it a few years ago, and kept noticing basic errors of history and repeating of common myths and rapidly gave up on it.