Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Man I need to get more characters, so far the only optional ones I've gotten are Picoletta and Hossabara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Gyoru posted:

There are recruitable character events that don't show up until you reach specific thresholds. The points also make Scales of Conviction persuasion checks easier.

Unless you are RPing, it's better to spread your points around so you can grab as many recruits as possible on your first playthrough. I got every character except 3 and the route specific ones on my first run. I got the rest (besides route ones) early in NG+

I capped this screen that shows all your missing recruits + current points yesterday. You can access Scout Information as a NG+ feature

What’s up with “geologist” in the upper right of this pic? I’m a geologist irl who’s very keen on playing this game.

Everything posted in here is pushing me closer and closer to playing it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

What’s up with “geologist” in the upper right of this pic? I’m a geologist irl who’s very keen on playing this game.

It’s good. Do it.

Seriously, I know folks are ‘eh’ on the plot but like, it’s done something a game hasn’t done for me in a long time and that is legitimately hate the bad guys. Not in like a ‘this is poo poo’ kind of way but in a ‘godDAMN it’s gonna be satisfying to stomp this dudes head in.’ Way.

Plus the combat is really good and characters are all their own brand of broken bullshit so it’s super fun putting together teams you like.

I just got a shaman lady that is raining lightning down on the battlefield and she rules.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

fft geomancer

she chucks rocks also her actives change based on the terrain type she's standing on

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its going to be funny when most fan art of this game is going to be one of two things
1. the sapphics
2. dragan

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I absolutely cannot put this game down.

All my scheming worked out the way I wanted it to.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Snooze Cruise posted:

its going to be funny when most fan art of this game is going to be one of two things
1. the sapphics
2. dragan

the...theres sapphics???

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it actually possible to beat Chapter VII when you’re defending the town without using the traps? The boss lady has like 500 hp and I can barely dent her. I guess the only way is to torch her? I was doing ok until the third wave of reinforcements arrived and I got massively overwhelmed. All of my characters are lv10+ but I could only get one promotion item. I also only got one item to upgrade a weapon so I feel extremely underpowered for the fight. :sigh: I’m going to have to bite the bullet and torch the town, aren’t I?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snooze Cruise posted:

1. the sapphics
2. dragan

It's a shame Dragan can't be saved.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is it actually possible to beat Chapter VII when you’re defending the town without using the traps? The boss lady has like 500 hp and I can barely dent her. I guess the only way is to torch her? I was doing ok until the third wave of reinforcements arrived and I got massively overwhelmed. All of my characters are lv10+ but I could only get one promotion item. I also only got one item to upgrade a weapon so I feel extremely underpowered for the fight. :sigh: I’m going to have to bite the bullet and torch the town, aren’t I?

I'm several attempts in and it feels like the solution is going to end up being to hole up on the roofs as soon as you start to feel the pressure. You'll be essentially safe from Avlora and the other melees, and even the ranged AI seems like it starts to freak out a little bit when there's no available targets on the ground.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Just recruited my first 3 other characters. They all have busted abilities and it owns.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Utilize knockback and do your best to isolate enemies. Be at whatever the recommended level is and make sure you've been upgrading your weapons with like the other first tier upgrade. 1 Physical or Magic Defense doesn't seem like a lot but it goes a good way

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I rushed the archers as fast as I could to take them out of the fight then did a fighting retreat. Archers > Mages > Blades > Healers > shieldbearers are too slow to do anything and are actually mildly helpful since they get in the way of faster units at times. Review your units and make sure you have a good grasp of how their abilities can interact and their stats. Understanding that Benedict is actually tanky during the earlier demo decieded my battle lines. It's probably too late but the merchant during the explore had oil pots that you can use with Frederica to create a murderous killzone and is one of the best options for harming Alvora. And don't be afraid to just sacrifice units to keep her away from you for a turn her two. I had Benedict lure her away for a few turns while I cleared the rest of the map. You will take loses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

McTimmy posted:

I rushed the archers as fast as I could to take them out of the fight then did a fighting retreat. Archers > Mages > Blades > Healers > shieldbearers are too slow to do anything and are actually mildly helpful since they get in the way of faster units at times. Review your units and make sure you have a good grasp of how their abilities can interact and their stats. Understanding that Benedict is actually tanky during the earlier demo decieded my battle lines. It's probably too late but the merchant during the explore had oil pots that you can use with Frederica to create a murderous killzone and is one of the best options for harming Alvora. And don't be afraid to just sacrifice units to keep her away from you for a turn her two. I had Benedict lure her away for a few turns while I cleared the rest of the map. You will take loses.

I kept an earlier save, so I can go back and buy the oil thingies and try to light her on fire. Do you get anything for winning without using the traps? Probably conviction points?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Saxophone posted:

It’s good. Do it.

Seriously, I know folks are ‘eh’ on the plot but like, it’s done something a game hasn’t done for me in a long time and that is legitimately hate the bad guys. Not in like a ‘this is poo poo’ kind of way but in a ‘godDAMN it’s gonna be satisfying to stomp this dudes head in.’ Way.

Plus the combat is really good and characters are all their own brand of broken bullshit so it’s super fun putting together teams you like.

I just got a shaman lady that is raining lightning down on the battlefield and she rules.

Gyoru posted:

fft geomancer

she chucks rocks also her actives change based on the terrain type she's standing on

Aaaah this sounds so good!

My only hold up is my six month old and a crunch at work. Those two combined don’t leave enough time for games. Work will be calm by the end of the month at which point I will be able to enjoy a game.

I’ve been going back and forth between this and Elden and I think this is winning purely because it’s on the Switch. It’s much easier to get through stuff on the Switch than it is a PS4 (also there’s no way my wife would be cool with me dominating the TV for 100 hours).

I started replaying FFT on my phone when my son was born and I’m about half way through chapter 4… I really ought to finally finish Tactics after making countless attempts since it was a new game and I was a middle schooler!

Edit:

How is the balance between story and battling? I played most of the demo and there seem to be huge stretches of main story exposition and side content with no battles. Though if I’m understanding correctly from lurking here is that there’s a way to battle at the encampment any time? Meaning it seems possible to break up huge chunks of story telling with a “random” encounter? If so that sounds great! I could easily choose between story or battle depending on whichever aligns with my mood when I pick up my switch.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 9, 2022

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I kept an earlier save, so I can go back and buy the oil thingies and try to light her on fire. Do you get anything for winning without using the traps? Probably conviction points?

The village is still intact next time you have an explore phase there and the villagers have dialogue thanking you. It might also be a requirement for the golden ending.

Anyway, I'm getting completely rinsed in The Battle of Booker's Brigade version of chapter 9, where you start in a hole surrounded by enemies. Though of course I get an idea for how to beat it when I have to head off for work. Might even manage to make use of Hossabara, who is probably the worst character in the game despite how cool she looks

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I actually like Hossabarra. She's not a great healer for me yet, but her stick whaps mooks good.

The person I don't care for is the item tossing medic. Double toss is fine, but that's all she does. She can waste an antidote poisoning people but she's hard to level and all I'm doing is burning through my potions.

I wish that drat store would restock already.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo Piccolette's decoy might be more broken than Anna. It moves and attacks on its own, Benedict can buff it with Bulwark, AND Geela can heal it. This is completely ridiculous.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I actually like Hossabarra. She's not a great healer for me yet, but her stick whaps mooks good.

The person I don't care for is the item tossing medic. Double toss is fine, but that's all she does. She can waste an antidote poisoning people but she's hard to level and all I'm doing is burning through my potions.

I wish that drat store would restock already.

Hossabara is never really a good healer, but it's nice to have a backup when things go south. Her thing is hitting hard and pushback IMO.

Item lady is pretty fantastic if you get her ranked/leveled up for TP Physic. She's a better TP battery than Julio IMO (other than his buff that comes with the 1TP skill).

So I'm done with my first playthrough and while I like the game, I don't think it will ever be considered a classic. It's good and polished and has some great ideas but there's nothing really to play with. You'll never build a calculator that can take down entire maps or dual wielding ninjas who can tear rear end through the battlefield. The balance is such that you never really make any real choices mechanically. You can spend resources on this +1 STR or +1 DEF or whatever. It's just kind of shallow from that perspective. Enemies are always, ALWAYS stronger than your guys too. By the end of the game, 1v1 fights will almost never end in your favor on even Normal.

That said I liked the story, I loved how it handled branching paths, it's super pretty and has a great soundtrack. But I just don't see it being played over and over like FFT or TO or whatever. There's just not any real depth there. Character rogression is just kind of boring.

I still really recommend it. Very few of those flaws are apparent on a first playthrough unless you think about it too much. It's nice to see an SRPG with a budget doing what it do.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 9, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

How is the balance between story and battling? I played most of the demo and there seem to be huge stretches of main story exposition and side content with no battles. Though if I’m understanding correctly from lurking here is that there’s a way to battle at the encampment any time? Meaning it seems possible to break up huge chunks of story telling with a “random” encounter? If so that sounds great! I could easily choose between story or battle depending on whichever aligns with my mood when I pick up my switch.

Not as bad as reviews may have told you. It's possible to watch long long stretches of cutscenes, but I'm halfway through and it's not like a Metal Gear game where you do 10 minutes of gameplay then literally get a 2 hour unskippable cutscene. It's more like, "you just finished a big plot fight, here are a dozen 2-3 minute vignettes of what's going on in the aftermath you can watch individually." So it's easy to watch 20-30 minutes of story then do a couple of imagination fights to level up stragglers and get some resources, then finish up the plot break (or save, or feed a baby, or go to bed).

Scrap Dragon posted:

Anyway, I'm getting completely rinsed in The Battle of Booker's Brigade version of chapter 9, where you start in a hole surrounded by enemies. Though of course I get an idea for how to beat it when I have to head off for work. Might even manage to make use of Hossabara, who is probably the worst character in the game despite how cool she looks

This was my first mission failure last night. A tough fight and I think I closed it out with only 3-4 people alive on my 2nd try.

Levantine posted:

So I'm done with my first playthrough and while I like the game, I don't think it will ever be considered a classic. It's good and polished and has some great ideas but there's nothing really to play with.

I spent a few minutes mulling over one of the "pick one" choices on a level up last night only to find out that unlocking one unlocks both and you can swap back and forth any time out of combat. It's very much that type of game.

You can tell their two biggest design pillars were 1) our story is underdogs getting pushed around, and every fight should feel that way, never let the player break the system; 2) if we're going to make fights unforgiving, make everything else super forgiving (no hidden systems, no permadeath, keep xp on failure, etc). Which isn't a bad set of decisions to make, it just turns it into one type of game and not another.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 9, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah, the main thing with item healer is when you use the range healing items you are giving tp to everyone it heals, so if you use double items on top of that it gets ridiculous. also she is cute.

julio is still a good unit imo it's just he ends up in a different niche than what you first use him in

Cephas posted:

the...theres sapphics???

they keep them in the back half as a little treat

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just finished the Chapter VIII fight and through a stroke of luck had Geela, probably my weakest unit kill the big bad mercenary boss guy and a soldier that was giving me problems.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Levantine posted:

Hossabara is never really a good healer, but it's nice to have a backup when things go south. Her thing is hitting hard and pushback IMO.

Item lady is pretty fantastic if you get her ranked/leveled up for TP Physic. She's a better TP battery than Julio IMO (other than his buff that comes with the 1TP skill).

So I'm done with my first playthrough and while I like the game, I don't think it will ever be considered a classic. It's good and polished and has some great ideas but there's nothing really to play with. You'll never build a calculator that can take down entire maps or dual wielding ninjas who can tear rear end through the battlefield. The balance is such that you never really make any real choices mechanically. You can spend resources on this +1 STR or +1 DEF or whatever. It's just kind of shallow from that perspective. Enemies are always, ALWAYS stronger than your guys too. By the end of the game, 1v1 fights will almost never end in your favor on even Normal.

That said I liked the story, I loved how it handled branching paths, it's super pretty and has a great soundtrack. But I just don't see it being played over and over like FFT or TO or whatever. There's just not any real depth there. Character rogression is just kind of boring.

I still really recommend it. Very few of those flaws are apparent on a first playthrough unless you think about it too much. It's nice to see an SRPG with a budget doing what it do.

That's about how I feel about it. It's a good way to scratch the itch left by the lack of games like FFT and TO, but I don't think it's anything fantastic. I wish it had tied more recruitable characters to the paths that you had taken TO style (and for more of the recruits to be story related, rather than people who just kind of wander into your tent.

I'm agreed on your thoughts of character advancement. The math is very rigid in this game so that +1 to defense or attack does make a huge difference, but it would be nice for a developer to throw caution to the wind and let us mix and match class paths.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ehhhh... the straightforward character progression is not going to be a detriment to everyone, i don't like those two's class systems. also the game isn't lacking in depth because of it, every character has their toolkit and it feels like you are playing with a swiss army knife. personally i rather take all uniques instead of a mix between unique units and generics too.

imo it's better than fft and tactics orge. but i also don't like those games, and think they dominate srpg convos too much.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 9, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just getting through the demo still, but are the conversation options listed in the same order every time? Or do they switch up the order?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It was a lot easier to follow along with the dialogue when I realized demesne was just a fancy way to spell domain and pretty much pronounced the same.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Reik posted:

It was a lot easier to follow along with the dialogue when I realized demesne was just a fancy way to spell domain and pretty much pronounced the same.

"Sound the alarum!"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Reik posted:

this is a trap to out people who never played crusader kings and shame them

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

imo it's better than fft and tactics orge. but i also don't like those games, and think they dominate srpg convos too much.

In TS's defense, I'll actually finish it, which is something I can't say for TO and can only say once about Tactics, Advance, and A2 combined.

This is having played all 4 of those other games 60-80 hours each. (I tend to get lost in the weeds of character development and burn out on the actual game past the point the stories keep me interested.)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Honestly this is probably the best strategy game I've played since 3H Maddening dropped and if that difficulty didn't exist it would probably be my favourite since Fire Emblem Awakening.

Yeah I can't turn my army into Wyvern Lord killing machines but I've won most battles convincingly from terrible starting positions through use of tactics and synergies between my characters.

Typically the complexity is such that I can broadly employ principle based tactics.

So; get your archers high, get your tanks to choke points, get your mages to blast down clusters or pick at their healers. But it doesn't go so far as to become Fire Emblem Conquest levels of stupidity where you need to read up on five abilities per unit to figure out if your man is going to die to poison damage.

At least on normal I'm not finding that my characters will lose 1v1s. Hell, Anna managed to kill two archers on her lonesome on the last map. In fact I'm winning at pretty extreme numerical disadvantages through AoE magic and both provoke and decoy being completely bonkers.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah, I find it's not so much that your characters will lose 1v1 (also on normal) as it is that doing that is usually very inefficient since it doesn't bring all the synergies into play. Personally I enjoy the set of decisions they made with this game even though they're probably not the best ones for big commercial success

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's definitely a good game, no argument there. I just don't think there is a ton of mechanical replay value. It's definitely a game worth full price - the polish is absolutely blinding. I just don't think I'd replay and try to rush Strength Plus One so I can beeline Strength Plus Two and expect that to be an interesting way to play the game again.

That said the huge character bench might make for some interesting replays if you're willing to try different things.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Natural 20 posted:

Honestly this is probably the best strategy game I've played since 3H Maddening dropped and if that difficulty didn't exist it would probably be my favourite since Fire Emblem Awakening.

Yeah I can't turn my army into Wyvern Lord killing machines but I've won most battles convincingly from terrible starting positions through use of tactics and synergies between my characters.

Typically the complexity is such that I can broadly employ principle based tactics.

So; get your archers high, get your tanks to choke points, get your mages to blast down clusters or pick at their healers. But it doesn't go so far as to become Fire Emblem Conquest levels of stupidity where you need to read up on five abilities per unit to figure out if your man is going to die to poison damage.

At least on normal I'm not finding that my characters will lose 1v1s. Hell, Anna managed to kill two archers on her lonesome on the last map. In fact I'm winning at pretty extreme numerical disadvantages through AoE magic and both provoke and decoy being completely bonkers.

Yeah, I think that's the tradeoff they made to make the tactical gameplay as fun as it is in this game. The character building is very limited and there aren't that many choices being made, but at the same time every map felt fun and exciting- especially with the different unit compositions you can bring to each battle.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Lol I cheesed the village fight with the power of two ladders. Zero casualties, no fires required. Normally I wouldn't resort to something like that. But when the game presents that battle as a legitimate moral dilemma I feel like you have the right to say "what about the third option: a cheeky map-specific strategy with the character you just gave me."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
chapter 19, green path

It's really funny that after the game builds up exharme as a master tactician, benedict manages to fool him with just some straw dolls lmao

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

zhuge "benny" liang

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Levantine posted:

Hossabara doesn't have a great kit. There are characters with better realized kits once fully upgraded (fully promoted+weapon upgrades)

Be Brave doesn't heal herself despite needing to be in melee to heal cardinal adjacent characters. Cleave doesn't apply any kind of debuff unlike another character who can immobolize with their cleave. Pushback is ok, but Hoss needs the TP for other things like Be Brave, Catapult, or her Elite passive. Her Elite promotion gives her a passive that increases the amount of damage she does the more TP she has. Catapult is a 5 tile teleport that also buffs the warpee's pdef/mdef for 3 turns. She has a passive that heals her + her partner in any follow up attacks she participates in.

I mostly use her to get people on higher ground with Catapult and the follow up heal passive whenever I deploy her.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
freedom path, final chapter
ROBOT HORSES???

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

freedom path, final chapter
ROBOT HORSES???

Lmao, when that happened I kind of wish that they had been made of salt magics, they way they kind of disintigrated when they landed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Do you think snowbells can bloom, even on the battlefield?