Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WarpedNaba posted:

I mean, if he's being fed correctly and he's exercising well, that'll go a long way.

Height is mostly down to individual genetics but even so nutrition still plays a huge role because you won't reach your maximum possible height if you're starving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Also epigenetic influence from the previous generation can have interesting effects.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atopian posted:

Also epigenetic influence from the previous generation can have interesting effects.

I wish Lamarck had lived to learn about epigenetics. I TOLD YOU BRO!!!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Grand Fromage posted:

No one should know about epigenetics. It's crazy. It's like quantum mechanics to Einstein.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grand Fromage posted:

yeah, i had a similar reaction. "oh poo poo, lamarck and lysenko weren't completely wrong"

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

this is why a lot of people assumed chinese people are just short for a while. lots of food shortages from basically the end of the qing dynasty till the late 80s or so.

these days especially if you go to more north and northeastern china the kids are basically as tall as kids in most of the non-netherlands places ive lived.

im admittedly on the shorter side, but when i volunteered at a high school in qingdao about every boy was taller than me, probably like 5'9~6' was pretty normal?? my friends in the states joked im probabaly taller than most people here but its p much the same as it was for me in the states with anyone under 40 or so.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Mr. Fix It posted:

yeah, i had a similar reaction. "oh poo poo, lamarck and lysenko weren't completely wrong"

Lamarck kinda, Lysenko... I mean, dude killed a lot of people. A lot lot.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Atopian posted:

Lamarck kinda, Lysenko... I mean, dude killed a lot of people. A lot lot.

yeah, he was still very wrong, just not 100% wrong

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Atopian posted:

Lysenko... I mean, dude killed a lot of people. A lot lot.

Eh, it's Communism. Someone's gotta.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

Eh, it's Communism. Someone's gotta.

Capitalism has to make do with that leaded gasoline guy I guess. Although he was absolutely full of ideas.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

PITY BONER posted:

My old coworker in China put her son into both basketball AND swimming in the hopes of making him grow tall. She's about 150cm, while her husband is about 175cm. Despite this, like the superstition in modern Chinese culture goes, they believe that their boy will sprout up like a tree because he is now doing exactly what all the tall people do.

This is exactly how English learning goes in this country as well. Somehow, an A1 student thrust in a B2 class will catch up somehow because Laowais are magic.

God, I can't wait to quit this job.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
drat my parents have fully drank the pro beijing kool aid, so ukraine is the wests fault

despite them growing up in and then leaving 1950s china... i blame youtube

oh well, time to stick em in the old folks home

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
pro beijing moutai i should say

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I know I posted about it here a bunch before but I saw the "If I play basketball, I'll grow taller" comments more than a handful of times in China, all the way up through university students.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The Great Autismo! posted:

I know I posted about it here a bunch before but I saw the "If I play basketball, I'll grow taller" comments more than a handful of times in China, all the way up through university students.

Misinterpretation of "I wish I was a baller / I wish I was a little bit taller".

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Ailumao posted:

this is why a lot of people assumed chinese people are just short for a while. lots of food shortages from basically the end of the qing dynasty till the late 80s or so.

these days especially if you go to more north and northeastern china the kids are basically as tall as kids in most of the non-netherlands places ive lived.

im admittedly on the shorter side, but when i volunteered at a high school in qingdao about every boy was taller than me, probably like 5'9~6' was pretty normal?? my friends in the states joked im probabaly taller than most people here but its p much the same as it was for me in the states with anyone under 40 or so.

It's kind of interesting seeing in Hong Kong a generational increase in height. Like all the 70s+ are so tiny, the next generation still fairly short, then younger people often being quite tall. I'm 160cm and have had many people here tell me it was fortunate I'm "Chinese sized" so it will be easier to live in such a dense and crowded city. I think my favorite was a neighbor gleefully telling me, "from far away you look normal, but then I get close and see: You're foreigner!! :monocle: "

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Omg I'm so sorry I thought I was quoting this

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 8, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Oh my god dude I am so sorry I thought I was quoting your post

I'm giving myself for a sixer for it - I thought it was incredibly insightful and again, ugh!!! I'm sorry!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sorry, but I'm going to have to claim the apology thread in the name of Canada! :canada:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Oh my god dude I am so sorry I thought I was quoting your post

I'm giving myself for a sixer for it - I thought it was incredibly insightful and again, ugh!!! I'm sorry!!!

seth you have invaded our space and completely leveled that post!! this means war!!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Unacceptable interference in internal thread posting matters :cop:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

McGavin posted:

Sorry, but I'm going to have to claim the apology thread in the name of Canada! :canada:

Now you're just taking the Michael.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atopian posted:

Now you're just taking the Michael.

I'm taking them back to Canada WHERE THEY BELONG! :argh:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
they should've been named Gord instead of Michael

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

McGavin posted:

I'm claiming Canada in the name of China!

E:f,b

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

McGavin posted:

Best way to do that is to get them jobs as Huawei execs

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

McGavin posted:

Sorry.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Certain exercises do work for height, though diet, exercise and genetics are the thing. Being super competitive in a contact sport was rumoured to promote a large dong when I was at school. Playing cricket just made me a massive oval office though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Collateral posted:

Certain exercises do work for height, though diet, exercise and genetics are the thing. Being super competitive in a contact sport was rumoured to promote a large dong when I was at school. Playing cricket just made me a massive oval office though.

You weren't supplied with a cup when you went to bat, I take.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Turning Red review: I am not a 13-year-old Chinese-Canadian girl, so I cannot understand.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I’ve never turned into a giant panda creature, so this movie is alien to me

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

What is that idiot looking for? A biography of himself?

Completely relatable for me! I love it! Two thumbs up!
:goonsay:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I found this panda relatable

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Stink Billyums posted:

I found this panda relatable

This panda is a huge piece of poo poo

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i like how most of the comments on this article agree with the reviewer

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can only relate to flying wisecracking punchmans wearing body gloves, like myself. Or talking cars, like myself.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I can only relate to flying wisecracking punchmans wearing body gloves, like myself. Or talking cars, like myself.

I mean, a worldview with the moral complexity one might expect from a five-year-old, the conscious refusal to question fundamental assumptions, and the firm belief that ultimately violence can solve anything...
I can see how that works quite widely.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I can't personally transform into a red panda so uhhhhhhhhhhh yeah not sure what I'm supposed to be getting out of this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
I’m more of a pho kinda guy