Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I mean, I can kind of see it--the 1812 Overture was specifically written to commemorate a Russian military victory. And it's not like they've banned Russian composers--looks like they just swapped Tchaikovsky for Rachmaninov: https://www.cardiffphilharmonic.com/future-concerts

On the list of things to get upset about, this seems way at the bottom, I guess is what I'm saying.

Yeah, but OTOH Chaikovsky was gay, so he is hardly aligned with Putin regime. And, you know, in 1812 Russians weren't the invaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Ok, so what are your thoughts on the matter? Given that there are neo-nazis pretty much everywhere in Russia and Eastern Europe (and Western Europe, and the US, etc), I would certainly like to know what point you're trying to make. Are you actually suggesting that Putin is both technically and morally correct about de-Nazifying Ukraine (despite Russia's use of their own neo-Nazi forces and support for right wing/neo-nazis in general all over the world)? Just curious about what you are trying to get at with the posts you continue to make about the existence of Ukrainian nazis.

e: I promise I'm not trying to bait you into a probe or anything, you can respond however you wish.

I don't think it makes Putin's casus belli legitimate, no. Russia's clearly not invading for the purpose of denazification, the Ukrainian government isn't run by Nazis, and I think Russia's actions over the years have clearly contributed to the rise of Azov in Ukraine's military. I do think the integration of a neo-Nazi group within Ukraine's military structure has pretty clear implications for how we're carrying out arms shipments though, and maybe shoveling everything we can across the border in a situation where we have no control over who ends up with what weapons isn't the best idea when we know the Ukrainian military is dependent enough on these guys that they're whitewashing them.

Obviously we've cut off assistance to parties in other wars when weapons falling into the hands of extremists became too big a problem, as with the Syrian Civil War, and I think that should at least be a consideration here. I'm not saying 100% throw them to the wolves or whatever (though I still think the hardline diplomatic approach taken before the war was doing that to some extent), but I do think it's a real and relevant concern. Obviously there's an example in history of the US giving arms to a country resisting a Russian dominated polity in the past and extremists taking advantage of that situation to become a real problem for the US down the line, and while I don't necessarily think the US military fighting Azov down the line is super likely, I do think the uncertainty of the post-war situation in general, and how arming these guys in particular might affect that, is worth taking into account.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

PerilPastry posted:

Man, the amount of fractures within NATO this jet deal fiasco has exposed has got to be the first good news Putin's gotten for a while. All this for 29 Migs of negligible military value that some EU official apparently just couldn't keep his mouth shut up about :

"It was then that the head of EU diplomacy, Josep Borrell, said that aid for Kyiv would also include offensive weapons, including planes. At that point it became clear that the planes would only be MIG-29 and Su-25, because Ukrainian pilots only have experience with these machines. Poland, it would seem, did not appreciate the issue being disclosed."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/09/clash-over-poland-and-us-missile-plans-reveals-tensions-in-escalating-war

If they are modernized MiG-29s (as Poland claims), they are serious business multi-role fighters and are of considerable military value. Perhaps you are in that if Ukraine does not have the infrastructure to support them, they are dead weight. We don't know either way.

Would, say, handing over some relatively modern SAMs be the better play? They are certainly easier to keep running and Poland has lots of them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought this concern trolling has been decisively banned by the mods. If you really learned nothing, if you really are such a terrible human and even after two weeks of terrible atrocities need to pretend that Azov battalion rather really is the Big Problem of the war, if you still need to jerk off about being a big brained Russia Explainer, you have a whole subforum to do your fascist spiel.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Professor Beetus posted:

Ok, so what are your thoughts on the matter? Given that there are neo-nazis pretty much everywhere in Russia and Eastern Europe (and Western Europe, and the US, etc), I would certainly like to know what point you're trying to make. Are you actually suggesting that Putin is both technically and morally correct about de-Nazifying Ukraine (despite Russia's use of their own neo-Nazi forces and support for right wing/neo-nazis in general all over the world)? Just curious about what you are trying to get at with the posts you continue to make about the existence of Ukrainian nazis.

e: I promise I'm not trying to bait you into a probe or anything, you can respond however you wish.

At the risk of putting words in their mouth, from what I've read that's basically what they think. You don't post stuff like that over and over without obviously trying to make the point that on some level Putin and the Russian position is correct.

Although they're kind of trying to sneak through the back door to that position, so to speak.

the popes toes posted:

US Secretary of Commerce is a big dumbo.

Gina Raimondo, the secretary of commerce, issued a stern warning Tuesday to Chinese companies that might defy U.S. restrictions against exporting to Russia, saying the United States would cut them off from American equipment and software they need to make their products.

The Biden administration could “essentially shut” down Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation or any Chinese companies that defy U.S. sanctions by continuing to supply chips and other advanced technology to Russia, Ms. Raimondo said in an interview with The New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/08/technology/chinese-companies-russia-semiconductors.html?smid=tw-share

I mean I would hope that there could be ways to bring China in on this advanced semiconductor ban, but not sure threats like these are extremely helpful or the best way to engage with China. Sanctions on China of any kind is best avoided considering what will already be global aftereffects from the Russia sanctions.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BoldFace posted:

In other aviation news, Finnair started today using their old, Soviet era flight routes to East Asia to get around Russia's airspace retrictions.

https://twitter.com/TopiManner/status/1499299549743042562

Could the 80s really be coming back? I'd like more shortwave radio in english please.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/ITVBorderRB/status/1501542514037526529
https://twitter.com/chris_deverell/status/1500507515733348353

What is wrong with people? Do they want this to escalate to WW3?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Added to the ever growing dumb list, #174

https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/1501527789123649541?cxt=HHwWioC-sbPkv9YpAAAA

Yudo
May 15, 2003

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, but OTOH Chaikovsky was gay, so he is hardly aligned with Putin regime. And, you know, in 1812 Russians weren't the invaders.

There is also some irony in that Tchaikovsky's music was frequently criticized during his lifetime for not being sufficiently Russian.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KillHour posted:

I presume you would work out an agreement to repair those plains in the foreign countries they are flying to.

Yes, all of ... *check notes* Belarus.

Der Kyhe posted:

Finnish National Railways company added extra shifts to trains running between Helsinki and St. Petersburg and Moscow, because they are fully booked into infinite with people deciding to rather live in EU, than in the Best Korea in making.

It's just Russian and Finnish people who can take that train, right? Can Russian people work in the EU?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Yudo posted:

If they are modernized MiG-29s (as Poland claims), they are serious business multi-role fighters and are of considerable military value. Perhaps you are in that if Ukraine does not have the infrastructure to support them, they are dead weight. We don't know either way.

Would, say, handing over some relatively modern SAMs be the better play? They are certainly easier to keep running and Poland has lots of them.

Glad to be corrected. The vibe I'm getting is a number of countries have now soured on the idea of providing "offensive weapons" which by some arbitrary standard seems to include aircraft but not stuff like Javelins.

Are the Ukrainians trained for the Polish SAMs? Supposedly Patriot batteries require hundreds and hundreds of hours of training so I imagine they're off the table.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sinteres posted:

I don't think it makes Putin's casus belli legitimate, no. Russia's clearly not invading for the purpose of denazification, the Ukrainian government isn't run by Nazis, and I think Russia's actions over the years have clearly contributed to the rise of Azov in Ukraine's military. I do think the integration of a neo-Nazi group within Ukraine's military structure has pretty clear implications for how we're carrying out arms shipments though, and maybe shoveling everything we can across the border in a situation where we have no control over who ends up with what weapons isn't the best idea when we know the Ukrainian military is dependent enough on these guys that they're whitewashing them.

Obviously we've cut off assistance to parties in other wars when weapons falling into the hands of extremists became too big a problem, as with the Syrian Civil War, and I think that should at least be a consideration here. I'm not saying 100% throw them to the wolves or whatever (though I still think the hardline diplomatic approach taken before the war was doing that to some extent), but I do think it's a real and relevant concern. Obviously there's an example in history of the US giving arms to a country resisting a Russian dominated polity in the past and extremists taking advantage of that situation to become a real problem for the US down the line, and while I don't necessarily think the US military fighting Azov down the line is super likely, I do think the uncertainty of the post-war situation in general, and how arming these guys in particular might affect that, is worth taking into account.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I would suggest if you want to post about these things in the future, include some original thought like this in your op and consider why it's worth continuing to bring it up when the people in Ukraine are literally fighting for survival, and Russians are reducing cities to rubble and committing various war crimes.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Literally the exact same talking points that have been gone over ad nauseam, and nothing at all to with the tweet containing some sort of new development or angle of discussion.

The tweet was just an excuse to immediately pivot to bringing up the same old poo poo.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Could the 80s really be coming back? I'd like more shortwave radio in english please.

15735 kHz from 4PM to 6PM and 5875 kHz from 10PM to midnight, Ukraine time.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BoldFace posted:

In other aviation news, Finnair started today using their old, Soviet era flight routes to East Asia to get around Russia's airspace retrictions.

https://twitter.com/TopiManner/status/1499299549743042562

On the bright side, during winter you get to look for amazing aurora borealis and in the summer you can watch ocean glimmering in sun for most of the flight, assuming you got a window seat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jarmak posted:

Literally the exact same talking points that have been gone over ad nauseam, and nothing at all to with the tweet containing some sort of new development or angle of discussion.

The tweet was just an excuse to immediately pivot to bringing up the same old poo poo.

It really was too much to hope some people would feel shame over what they've been wishing into reality and at least skulk away and shut up, if not change recant their views, wasn't it?

Professor Beetus posted:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I would suggest if you want to post about these things in the future, include some original thought like this in your op and consider why it's worth continuing to bring it up when the people in Ukraine are literally fighting for survival, and Russians are reducing cities to rubble and committing various war crimes.

Categorically nothing thoughtful about the regurgitation of the same old arrogant calm-Hitlerisms of the past months wih absolutely no reflection whatsoever.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

BTW what happened to Tupolev? They for the longest time were the 3rd/4th passenger plane manufacturer, and only ran into problems some years ago. Aren't they still around?

2000s were really hard for Russian aviation, and everything folded basically (look up history of United Avioconstruction Corporation, and history of Aeroflot plane park retirements). Tupolev specifically maybe is a thing in North Korea, outside of Russian government use.

Currently flown Russian airplanes are basically Irkut MC-21 (Yakovlev, all-Russian design) and Sukhoi Superjet 100 (western engine). Maybe Ilyushin has something, probably not.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

the popes toes posted:

US Secretary of Commerce is a big dumbo.

Gina Raimondo, the secretary of commerce, issued a stern warning Tuesday to Chinese companies that might defy U.S. restrictions against exporting to Russia, saying the United States would cut them off from American equipment and software they need to make their products.

The Biden administration could “essentially shut” down Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation or any Chinese companies that defy U.S. sanctions by continuing to supply chips and other advanced technology to Russia, Ms. Raimondo said in an interview with The New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/08/technology/chinese-companies-russia-semiconductors.html?smid=tw-share

China's been sticking its finger in the wind trying to work out how to thread the needle. I think its course of action bears out the speculation that they were somewhat supportive of Russia getting aggressive with Ukraine and trying to undermine EU and US prestige, but did not genuinely believe that Russia was going to go for a full-on invasion. The PRC isn't a totally rational actor, but they have a high degree of cold pragmatism and patience that Russia has not shown. China has not joined in on sanctions, but it has ramped back involvement to avoid getting hit with the effect of western sanctions on Russia. We know that it's not truly a friendship with "no limits."

Russia has counted on China and India to be economic lifelines and I think that Russia's true breakdown point might still be far away. Raimondo might be part of a Biden administration effort to get China to exert more pressure on Russia to help that come sooner rather than later. Hopefully the PRC can read between the lines.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

It's just Russian and Finnish people who can take that train, right? Can Russian people work in the EU?

If they have permanent residence, or student Visa to Finland. With a travel or visitor Visa, no.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jarmak posted:

I was asked by a mod to explain my viewpoint so I did. I wasn't planning on posting about it ad nauseum, but if you don't like my posts you can always hit the ignore button.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

KitConstantine posted:

Ah yes, the ol' "preemptive justification" move
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1501623178514374664?t=NomqLKge6YFatjfTpv-IDg&s=19
They're barely even trying to hide it anymore. Russia knows the west won't do poo poo. So here's your warning for yet another atrocity that's going to end up in this thread.

So they "caught" a farmer who was getting ready to fertilize his fields huh?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Good thing this country is here to fight nazis doing nazi stuff!

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
>ammonia
>chemical attack
>???

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/aviation_intel/status/1501626853865394179?s=21

:same: OP

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

So they "caught" a farmer who was getting ready to fertilize his fields huh?

Yeah gosh why would people in one of the largest wheat producers on the planet need nitrates.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Axel Vogt is a dumb piece of poo poo, but has already been made to see the error of his ways.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1501623178514374664?t=NomqLKge6YFatjfTpv-IDg&s=19
They're barely even trying to hide it anymore. Russia knows the west won't do poo poo. So here's your warning for yet another atrocity that's going to end up in this thread.

Surely they have a picture of someone bringing 80 tons of ammonia into a populated city right?

A lazy google search tells me that you'd need 7-8 dump trucks, the big kind you see at construction sites, or more recently, to transport a squad of Russians. How loving stupid do they think their own citizens are?

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Actually, US is deploying 2 Patriot systems to Poland…

Man, it’s like Dota but with literal and proverbial tankies. There are some very real reasons to avoid it, that I may or may not confirm from personal experience.

Out of curiosity, what are your very real reasons to avoid it?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean,

https://www.justsecurity.org/70507/white-supremacist-infiltration-of-us-police-forces-fact-checking-national-security-advisor-obrien/

I mean, that's just from five seconds of googling.

I suspect that virtually every military or police organization in the western world has a non-trivial "some of our members are fascists" problem.
I am not sure self-reported Nazis vs. open racists identified by other people are comparable.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Raising that issue in the context of this invasion just seems wildly, wildly off base.
I feel like it's pretty fair to point out when the issue of Nazis in that specific section of Ukrainian society is downplayed (or even completely dismissed apparently by official government organs?*), or the Nazis get boosted by Western media, or people go "Yeah, but I don't really mind them breaking the rules of war in this case". Like, definitely make the point in a forward-looking "what should be done about this poo poo?" way, rather than in a way that bolsters Putin's claims of Ukraine itself being a Nazi menace, but it seems like an entirely fair avenue of discussion. Maybe it would be more appropriate for the actual Eastern Europe thread though, as a discussion about what can be done in a post-war scenario where the Nazis have military victories under their belt and a ton of articles by dumbass Western journalists praising them.

*To me at least this is a clear step up from just ignoring it like everyone else with Nazi problems, speaks to a far higher reliance on or sympathy towards open and proud Nazis.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Real question:

Would Russia even try a chemical/ WMD attack on Ukraine? Like the West ignored them helping Assad gas his own people, but there is no way that Europe would tolerate seeing a gas attack on a European city right?

...They aren't that stupid enough to go to that level of provocation are they?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

You underestimate the bloodlust of the western lovely lib.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TulliusCicero posted:

Real question:

Would Russia even try a chemical/ WMD attack on Ukraine? Like the West ignored them helping Assad gas his own people, but there is no way that Europe would tolerate seeing a gas attack on a European city right?

...They aren't that stupid enough to go to that level of provaction are they?

Its the realization in Putin's mind (most likely) that he can't hold a nation of insurgents with what he's got left, so instead he's going to genocide them down to a small enough population that he can control it with military/police forces. He knows (likely rightfully so) that NATO isn't going to consign nearly 8 billion people to death to save 44 million Ukrainians.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Axel Vogt is a dumb piece of poo poo, but has already been made to see the error of his ways.

I am relieved that many German politicians are as utterly stupid as many US politicians. Well, no, I'm not relieved, what am I saying?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Anyone else getting this ad on somethingawful?

Seems extraordinarily lovely.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Can we stop talking about the Polish fighter jets until there's actual pictures of them actually in Ukraine please.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

the popes toes posted:

15735 kHz from 4PM to 6PM and 5875 kHz from 10PM to midnight, Ukraine time.

I am indeed getting something on 15735 kHz but signal is pretty weak, time for that larger antenna!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Just for context, Lubmin has 2100 inhabitants. It's Dorfpolitik.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Scoring cheap points while not having any responsibility to take action themselves.

People remember NFZs from Libya and Iraq as something that is a rather riskfree and cheap military action to take in cases of bloodlusty tyrannts. If we translated it properly into "do you want NATO to destroy Russian military assets in Ukraine, Russia and Belarus, thereby becoming an active participant in the current war" the question would not even be debated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Surely they have a picture of someone bringing 80 tons of ammonia into a populated city right?

A lazy google search tells me that you'd need 7-8 dump trucks, the big kind you see at construction sites, or more recently, to transport a squad of Russians. How loving stupid do they think their own citizens are?

Anhydrous ammonia would be a liquified gas in a tanker. They can hold about 5 tons each, so 80 tons would require at least 16 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Anyone else getting this ad on somethingawful?

Seems extraordinarily lovely.

Jeffery already posted and said it was fine.