Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok Comboomer posted:

The Saturn has 3 voices for $99....if they’re chainable that’s 6 voices for $200 and so forth

I only see midi out on it, but that's still pretty sweet for $99. it looks extremely cheap though haha. would be fun to let one melt in the sun and play that over some compressed indie drums

the hero tribe looks pretty sweet imo

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah I've got a neutron and I can't imagine getting anymore synth for the money. They've come along way since the disposable plastic poo poo they were making in the early 2000s

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

snorch posted:

drat yeah the moog and oberheim ones are analog. Someone is guaranteed to inevitably put together a $400 8-voice.

One of the releases (so who fuckin' knows) was talking about using stuff from the OB-Xa I think we all assumed was vaporware years ago so maybe it will even be in-house!

e: "While the company describes the synth as an analog polyphonic synthesizer, many would categorize it as a paraphonic monosynth design, meaning that it’s a single synth voice, with individually controllable oscillators."

Slight bummer but not a shocker either. this is how the gen-1 volcas did it right?

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 7, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I downloaded the free version of VCV Rack today and now just watched a video of all the ways it can play with my Microfreak and now I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

"sorry, I can't come in today, I have... Roborrhea"

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

lmao

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is that a mixer? Whyyyyy do people still put micro usb on stuff. I mean I know why it’s cheap but it’s so dang fiddly

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I’d hit it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I tried out a beatstep pro to act as a bridge between some cv/gate things and midi and it works but it's a little big for what I need it for.

If all I need is something to sync things anyone have any recommendations for something similar but maybe smaller? Preferably with a display to see BPM.
A friend said I should get a tiny modular case with just a Pam's New Workout in it and that might not be a bad idea but it would end up costing more than a beatstep pro.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

survey says...

also is that audio/midi/both over USB? that thing is seriously kickin

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/bastl-dude.html

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looking for an affordable case to provide some modicum of protection for your volca on the go?
Vaultz brand locking pencil cases fit almost perfectly.
The staples near my house carries them

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That’s sweet

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Hmmm... my local Target has the Dragon Eye case in stock. I don't have the original box, so at the very least it'd be nice for when I move this Summer. Thank you for the heads up.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

lol

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I read about this in another thread but did y'all hear about this

I'm losing my poo poo, they sound incredible

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

1) Mu Tron will not be happy

2) I just discovered that Arturia has a bi-phase clone VST (called ‘Phaser Bi-Tron’, lol)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
gently caress yeah gimme that new iPad Air that new teal kicks rear end that M1 chip will let me run all the VSTs

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Ok Comboomer posted:

gently caress yeah gimme that new iPad Air that new teal kicks rear end that M1 chip will let me run all the VSTs

Awesome. I love recording into Cubasis 3 on my regular old iPad and the camera kit so I can get a USB port, but it would be great to have something with more under the hood and a USB-C port.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

The M1 in my MacBook Air has been fantastic, having it in a sexy looking iPad is going to be good to you I think.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

can you run multiple apps in ipad? like two synth apps plugged into a garageband app?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

can you run multiple apps in ipad? like two synth apps plugged into a garageband app?

Yeah, there's a VST-like hook for DAWs, synths and other audio apps to work with each other. I don't remember if Garageband itself supports it but there's very good app called AUM which does.

edit: oh and audio damage has a bi-tron phaser app for the ipad lmao

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 8, 2022

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

gently caress I'll probably get it. I've always wanted one to do Billy Corgan impersonations on guitar but I'm betting it will sound magical on synths too

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah, there's a VST-like hook for DAWs, synths and other audio apps to work with each other. I don't remember if Garageband itself supports it but there's very good app called AUM which does.

Yes, the standard is called auv3 and any DAW like app on iOS will support them. GarageBand, AUM, NanoStudio, Drambo, Cubasis.. and so on.

The selection of plugins is pretty good, there are some gaps but there are also a lot of really creative toys out there too.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Still loving the Zoia but I am baffled by how many of the FX patches on patchstorage.com are mono in/out. It's a stereo unit with two ins and two outs, and the resource overhead for enabling both ins and outs is negligible, but still with like 75% of new patches you've got to figure out which input is actually hooked up to anything. Obviously you can (and I did) just edit the patches to make them use both ins and both outs, but the initial decision still just baffles me. It even defaults to stereo, so people are going out of their way to turn off the i/o for not good reason at all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Can you run two patches side by side on it, each with their own in and out?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I want a Proton and a Model 15 but they probably won't be available any time soon will they?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

field balm posted:

gently caress I'll probably get it. I've always wanted one to do Billy Corgan impersonations on guitar but I'm betting it will sound magical on synths too

Yes magic is the right word!!! Between him and Jerry I burned the sound into my brain as a teen.

CV sweep options has me like 👀 I wonder if it likes audio rate stuff? (I will find out)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

Can you run two patches side by side on it, each with their own in and out?

Not two independent patches, no. You can definitely make single patches where the left and right channels do independent stuff, but that's not what this is for - there's no easy way to combine two full patches.

Oh and FWIW part of the frustration is that some patch authors seem to think mono patches should default to the left in/out whereas others think mono patches should default to the right in/out, so if you're scrolling through some downloaded patches with your guitar some subset of them will appear to not do anything, not even passing audio through, because they set it up with the channel you're not plugged into. It's just mental.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 9, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

Is this somewhat similar to using a pair of these:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

In recording/mixing, there is a saying, “if everything is stereo, then nothing is stereo.” This refers to if you’re stacking stereo tracks on top of stereo tracks on top of stereo tracks, you’re muddying up the overall “stereo-ness” of the mix. This is especially difficult in the world of synths, because the manufacturers give us stereo outs with big, stereo presets designed to wow us in the music store. But in the context of a mix, you want mono tracks panned across the stereo field with one or two stereo elements - a synth pad, a grand piano, etc. (Reverb should also be stereo on a bus track.)

So that’s probably why so many of your user-made Zoia presets are mono. That and live use, where stereo generally isn’t a thing, because if you pan something hard left, no one in the audience on the right side of the venue will hear it. :shrug:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I want a zoia but no spring reverb module? maybe I should re-order the sp404 mk2

or or or or modular fx eurorack

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

petit choux posted:

Is this somewhat similar to using a pair of these:

Ballpark for sure. Mu Tron is legendary, like up there with Neve and Shure, so getting this for less than the price of just one of those (last I checked, cause everyone wanted to pull the chips to fix their Junos) is kinda like whoa

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

In recording/mixing, there is a saying, “if everything is stereo, then nothing is stereo.” This refers to if you’re stacking stereo tracks on top of stereo tracks on top of stereo tracks, you’re muddying up the overall “stereo-ness” of the mix. This is especially difficult in the world of synths, because the manufacturers give us stereo outs with big, stereo presets designed to wow us in the music store. But in the context of a mix, you want mono tracks panned across the stereo field with one or two stereo elements - a synth pad, a grand piano, etc. (Reverb should also be stereo on a bus track.)

So that’s probably why so many of your user-made Zoia presets are mono. That and live use, where stereo generally isn’t a thing, because if you pan something hard left, no one in the audience on the right side of the venue will hear it. :shrug:

I understand that, but it's not actually relevant to what I'm talking about. It's not a question of a mono or stereo sound, it's a question of enabling or disabling both inputs. You can have a mono patch that doesn't leave half the i/o on the unit dead. All of the patches I've edited are still mono, it's just that you can plug into either input and either output.

And live use is part of why that's such a problem - if you go to a patch that's only using one side of the I/O and it's the side you're not currently plugged into, you've basically just shut your entire signal chain down. Not that using patches you haven't vetted live is a smart move anyway, it's just that it generates another, completely unnecessary, problem.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 9, 2022

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yo, I love my Grandmother but it has a really sucky unbalanced output that's hyper prone to interference and noise with my setup. I'm plugging it in to my Zoom LiveTrak L-20R. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to calm it down, is there a thing I can do to turn it into a balanced output or something?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

Ballpark for sure. Mu Tron is legendary, like up there with Neve and Shure, so getting this for less than the price of just one of those (last I checked, cause everyone wanted to pull the chips to fix their Junos) is kinda like whoa

Sweet. Yeah, I got a Boss MD-500 which I can def use this way, but having dual phaser was lots of fun playing with drum beats, of course.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

Yo, I love my Grandmother but it has a really sucky unbalanced output that's hyper prone to interference and noise with my setup. I'm plugging it in to my Zoom LiveTrak L-20R. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to calm it down, is there a thing I can do to turn it into a balanced output or something?

Sure it’s not the zoom? Jkjk

How is the gain staging set up?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is it a TRS cable? If they cheaped out the jack will leave the ring floating on TRS cables instead of tying it to ground, and that can make it noisy if the other end is expecting balanced input

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Short cable runs and high quality cables is all I can think to say w/o seeing a pic.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

They do a dumb switching TS to TRS thing by just having the shield short the signal, which yeah into a balanced TRS is a notorious problem causer.

You could probably swap the jack for TS and just leave the extra signal chilling, which might make things happier going into another switching TS/TRS input. No idea the effort level involved, I probably wouldn't if say the jack was soldered onto a major PCB.

Meng Qi sold/sells? transformer modules that would do this as well but thats mega overkill. You could also rock a headphone TRS->TS/TS splitter and just use one side which wouldn't balance things but would probably be a less fucky situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
While testing out the Roland PMA-5 I bought I discovered that it had not been initialized to factory settings, so it still had some user-created songs on it. Most of them were very simple single-instrument melodies, but one of them was this endearingly cheesy 80s/90s-late-night-talk-show-theme-style track. I don't know whether the prior owner composed it themselves, but I recorded it for posterity before I wipe the device clean.

Roland PMA-5 Song02

Also, it appears that SoundCloud quickly fades tracks in, instead of playing them at full volume? The WAV plays exactly as intended locally, but SoundCloud is gobbling up the first note of the song. :( Gotta remember that for future uploads.

EDIT: This is also the first time I've recorded anything through my Maker Hart Loop 8 mixer, which was recommended to me here a while back when I started getting into the Roland Boutiques. I've heard arguments for and against the Maker Hart models in the time since, but I found the signal very clean. The only issue I had with recording was gain staging along the way from the PMA-5 to the interface- I found it very easy to max out the inputs from the PMA-5. Had the PMA-5's volume set to only like 1/4 volume with the fader on the mixer up only half-way, and that was high as I could go without peaking. (Turns out it was at least partially because I used Channel 1, which is labeled for mics, and appears to have double the gain of channels 2 and 3. At least I had phantom disabled.)

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 9, 2022