Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

come to papa

edit: hahaha 19,500 CFM, that's disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Yep. They are actively making it impossible for any daycare admin or school leadership to take precautions while also making sure that parents have no official source of authority that will back them up on any concerns.

It is the official and explicit stance of the CDC and the Biden administration that you should take no action to prevent getting COVID or to prevent spreading COVID unless hospitals are well on their way to being full. There is no longer even a tiny acknowledgement that there might be value on a personal level in not catching COVID with a very small carve out for saying "talk to your doctor if you're gonna be a wierdo".
yeah cannot stress it enough
i'm so thankful my kids daycare is ignoring the CDC and keeping mask requirements for the foreseeable future
your situation is loving brutal

god drat the CDC and god drat the Biden admin and god drat America

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Paradoxish posted:

That's awesome news. At this rate, you'll get to have free healthcare for the last six months of the year!

:shrug: this is, indeed, basically the math we do

Cool country. My out of pocket, post-tax healthcare costs for my family are half the median income for the state. We scrape by, but wow if we didn't have to pay that we could pay off our mortgage pretty fuckin fast! Debtor Demon Cracker Nation, etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

hot witch divorcee posted:

who cares, getting big "going to go on a diatribe about the effects of pottermore on the canon" vibes from this post

Do it once and do it right, that's my motto.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

:rubby:

(*Meanwhile my former employer who got $675k in relief funds, bought another buisness and building, never lost much work due to covid - he didn't pay people when they were home sick w covid past 5/10 days. Those types won't be punished)

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Hello sir or madam. Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior, the coronavirus?

...actually that's probably how I'm starting to sound to some of the people I know

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

So what was that minor skin rash whose treatment made you immunocompromised? Asking for a friend that needs to find a concierge doctor

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I bet the government makes money on this.

It's not just a special Pokemon card. It's a special Pokemon card seized by the government and written about in the New York Times!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

mdemone posted:

come to papa

swapping out my noctua redux case fans for four of these bad fellas

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

*I push the power button and my 8700k embeds itself in a wall across town like a ninja star*

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

So what was that minor skin rash whose treatment made you immunocompromised? Asking for a friend that needs to find a concierge doctor

I think it's any topical steroid treatment prescribed for eczema/psoriasis. It's the steroid, not the condition, that puts you in the immunocompromised category iirc

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

I bet the government makes money on this.

It's not just a special Pokemon card. It's a special Pokemon card seized by the government and written about in the New York Times!

Think of all the apes someone would trade for that!

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

come to papa

lol

but fr build the cube, build multiple 20" because i was initially attributing feeling "better" this week to getting like a half hour more sleep due to my partners schedule shifting a little but i really think having air cleaners makes a difference in cognition.

lol apparently it does

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Psoriasis medication
It put a triple vaccinated, late 30s and otherwise healthy patient in the hospital with covid recently in one of the areas I get records from.

Really makes me mad thinking of how you have to be on death's door for your vulnerability to count enough to some people to maybe justify wearing a mask some of the time, except they still won't even then. And then there's this poor guy. If there's no hope for cancer patients inspiring a little empathy in these fucks, then goddamn. Psoriasis sufferers have no chance

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

tenderjerk posted:

I think it's any topical steroid treatment prescribed for eczema/psoriasis. It's the steroid, not the condition, that puts you in the immunocompromised category iirc

Ah ok thanks, and yeah i'm pretty sure it's the steroid that does it

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I got a Honeywell HPA 300 that's rated for 400 square feet for the middle of the apartment, picked up a Pro Breeze purifier from a meh.com sale that says it's True Hepa filtered and rated for 400+ feet but it never shows up on the charts/reviews. Anybody have or heard of one?

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Psoriasis medication
It put a triple vaccinated, late 30s and otherwise healthy patient in the hospital with covid recently in one of the areas I get records from.

Really makes me mad thinking of how you have to be on death's door for your vulnerability to count enough to some people to maybe justify wearing a mask some of the time, except they still won't even then. And then there's this poor guy. If there's no hope for cancer patients inspiring a little empathy in these fucks, then goddamn. Psoriasis sufferers have no chance

this could easily be me if i have another severe flare up (fingers crossed, haven't had one in like 15 years)

it's terrifying lol

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

not_superiority posted:

this could easily be me if i have another severe flare up (fingers crossed, haven't had one in like 15 years)

it's terrifying lol

Crossing mine for you too, friend. I hope you're able to continue navigating all this insanity in decent health.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my dad is a 65-year-old high school teacher and he told me yesterday how the end of mask mandates is making him really nervous. he said he was going to ask about keeping masks required in his class, since he is at higher risk. he was shocked when i told him that the best he can probably hope for is an informal agreement from his students, and not to expect any administrative support whatsoever. he didn't realize that the new guidance meant masks weren't even recommended anymore.

i typically follow this kind of post with 'lol lmao' but i just feel really sad. my dad's given so much of his life to teaching, and he's about to see how little his safety matters to the powers that be :smith:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So, uh, not really COVID-related, just thinking about the previous cancer talk ITT and how my parents' neighbour apparently just had the same extremely rare form of cancer as my mom (~140 out of ~45,000 diagnoses per year) at the same exact time. Thems some odds right there.

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Nocturtle posted:

Sorry to hear you're going through this. The delayed COVID symptoms are really something. About the only consistent advice I've seen is to take things very very easy for 4-6 weeks after developing symptoms. Hope you fully recover.

thank you! I got my third shot just a couple weeks ago so guess I’m as titered as I can be here in tegnell-land. I got really into yoga for a couple weeks before my infection, guess I’ll wait a month before picking that up again

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I thought the post about the spectrum of readers of this thread, from people who are able to totally cave, to people who find it a source of sanity in an insane world they increasingly have to interact with, quite interesting.

We, as a family, are making our own choices on this which probably make us "extreme" by local standards even here in Vermont, but maybe middle of the road in terms of behavior here. I try very hard in my personal and online lives not to judge people's decision making if they meet a certain minimum bar of seeming to me to be at least as smart as I am (which is not a very high bar, there's many kinds of intelligence and I am pretty cautious about assuming I have a massive intellectual advantage over someone unless they're literally trying to hand me a pamphlet about some dogmatic or single-issue-voter thing.

It's obnoxious as gently caress, at best, to be in hellworld and feel like we just have to make the best decisions we can and then live with the consequences, but here we are. We've taken a lot more risks to allow our kids to have some semblance of normal interactions, preschool, etc, than we have for anything in the adult world that we used to do. The longer I spend away from restaurants, the more my memories of them blur into a concept of some kind of expensive, overly loud place where I'll have to wait unknown lengths of time for more beer instead of just walking to our kegerator. Of course, we didn't have that, in the Before.

My right lung has been slightly hosed since "a serious respiratory infection followed by pnemonia" that I had in march 2020 which caused my wife to lose her smell and taste for a week or two. There was a nasty bout of flu that year, too, though, so who the gently caress knows. In any case, I use an albuterol inhaler to ski now, and I'm not in a hurry to get any more viruses, respiratory or otherwise. I do interact with society to some extent, I use PPE ranging from an envo to N95s to nothing depending on the situation ("nothing" is pretty rare), and so far we haven't had COVID (at least, not since widespread testing was available), and more and more this is just becoming another risk I weigh, along the lines of "is the snow bad enough that it's too dangerous to drive kiddo 10 miles to go skiing?"

I guess that's what endemic has come to mean for me: it's just another significant risk in a world full of risks for which generally inadequate mitigation measures exist, and so past a point we just make decisions, and hope for the best. If we do ever get COVID (again?) I am not going to think "oh wow how could this POSSIBLY have happened"; kiddo's masked preschool involves unmasked eating, we've gotten sick from her 3 times this year, and frankly it's kind of surprising to me that none of it was COVID (though RSV happened and was scary).

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

over

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

petit choux posted:

It was either this or Fascist eugenics style.

We'll get there. A couple of years of minor restrictions was enough for the public to accept implicit (or not so implicit) genocide against the immunocompromised and elderly. Doesn't suggest great things for the coming decades, when living standards start getting significantly impacted by climate change and environmental degradation.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

lol

Everything is so goddamn stupid and it’s not going to get better anytime soon, if ever

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

U-DO Burger posted:

my dad is a 65-year-old high school teacher and he told me yesterday how the end of mask mandates is making him really nervous. he said he was going to ask about keeping masks required in his class, since he is at higher risk. he was shocked when i told him that the best he can probably hope for is an informal agreement from his students, and not to expect any administrative support whatsoever. he didn't realize that the new guidance meant masks weren't even recommended anymore.

i typically follow this kind of post with 'lol lmao' but i just feel really sad. my dad's given so much of his life to teaching, and he's about to see how little his safety matters to the powers that be :smith:

The last Death Panel was really mad, red, and nude about that and I fully agree with them. This new guidance puts the complete onus on a high risk person to reveal their high risk status to everyone they interact with and then make a personal request that the people they share a space with take an optional (and not even reccomended by the CDC) action to mask up, or at least stop telling them to take off their own mask. It is beyond incompetence and actively malicious.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

it only gets funnier every time we have a new wave and a flood of posters that wore lovely masks up to that point and only then decided that they need an elastomeric. doubly so when they’re concerned about the exhaust vent

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

COVID has finally hit the care home that my 94 year old grandmother is in (might have been cases previously but not that I'm aware of). Currently my grandmother is negative and you know "measures" are being taken but it had me trying to search for numbers beyond the rather large category of 65+

Best I could find was a study of Italy's 2020 care facilities with 90+ having a 24.5% fatality rate, of course pre-vaccination, but my grandmother is already a not in great health 94 and it's gonna be BA1 or 2 sooooo.

Numbers won't change whatever the outcome is of course but if anyone knows better data breakdowns for older people that are newer than 2020 data please do share.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

So, uh, not really COVID-related, just thinking about the previous cancer talk ITT and how my parents' neighbour apparently just had the same extremely rare form of cancer as my mom (~140 out of ~45,000 diagnoses per year) at the same exact time. Thems some odds right there.

do they live next to railroad tracks? or a "retired" superfund site? because that's extra hosed and i only know about similar kinds of cancer clusters because they're all over my region

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

inferis posted:

it only gets funnier every time we have a new wave and a flood of posters that wore lovely masks up to that point and only then decided that they need an elastomeric. doubly so when they’re concerned about the exhaust vent

I was one of those guys, minus the exhaust vent wibbling. I know better now. :shrug:
What got me to upgrade was learning about Omicron vaccine evasion.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

not_superiority posted:

do they live next to railroad tracks? or a "retired" superfund site? because that's extra hosed and i only know about similar kinds of cancer clusters because they're all over my region

No. There's also a 20-year age difference and the neighbour's a dude, only about 40 of those yearly cases are men.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

DATA

Cases (Per BNO): 332,569 in March
Deaths: (Per BNO) 11,699 in March

The 7 Day Covid Admissions average is up, for the first time since January 22nd.

Bed Utilization is at 76%
COVID Bed Usage has been 6% for the past 5 days
ICU Utilization is 73%
COVID ICU Usage is 10%

COVID Admissions Trends
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1501610742167977984?s=20&t=LJI8ewtmTg77vqaogkCy5g

BA 2
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1501612180831031299?s=20&t=LJI8ewtmTg77vqaogkCy5g

Wastewater COVID Trends
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1501612344987688962?s=20&t=LJI8ewtmTg77vqaogkCy5g

these would be nice for comprehending and or sharing if the intensities had labels

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

inferis posted:

Then they post a pic and have a full beard, that they refuse to shave

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Then they post a pic and have a full beard, that they refuse to shave

or the filters all walrus style

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Posting this mostly just because of the illustration

https://twitter.com/kashprime/status/1501576459873304580?s=21

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Virgil Vox posted:

or the filters all walrus style

"help! Every time I do a negative pressure test I pass out, is this normal?"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

there is no normal

just let it go

adapt

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toggle posted:

how do those of you back in the office eat and drink with your masks on? what’s the technique? how do you do it with an office full of mask less mongs?

that’s the neat part, you don’t