Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Kaysette posted:

Watched you “post” this ITT like a buffoon.

In the year 2k22 I feel like we need to get past the idea that an option to drop fat stacks in a game automatically makes it a p2w grind fest. Whales gonna whale but Lost Ark especially doesn’t force players to cough up money to progress. This is one of the better value f2p mmos I can remember honestly.

To be fair I had to pay to post this so, p2w forum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Speaking of, I got emotes for my own Twitch channel. Still streaming Lost Ark three times a week, but without spending $1000 on stream because I don't have that kinda money. :v:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm pretty down on paladin right now. I'm probably doing it wrong. Is support in guardian raids a bad thing? These bosses take a long time to die and despite me keeping a +damage taken debuff on the boss, +damage buff on my team and throwing out the shield and the -damage areas for people about to be hit by bad, it doesn't seem to matter.

poo poo takes forever to die or everyone dies despite me actively healing/buffing my balls off. More often than not, I get MVP for healing when I do squeak out a win.

For context, I'm only at like 490 and only have the first full buff of Blessed Aura. I can't find any other source to add more into it so I have to run 2x Blessed Aura engravings just to activate it.

Also I'm loving sick of being the only dude in the world to bring flares.

EDIT: Those emotes own.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If folks aren't bringing flares or dying constantly that's a them problem, not a you problem. Supports are absolutely valuable in group content and can cover a lot of gaps but unlike a lot of games they can't drag groups across the finish line entirely by themselves (assuming you're not massively overgeared).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't speak for Paladins but I've been playing guardian raids with my bard support loadout and it's a huge boon to everyone because of the constant buffs/shields/healing. If it's taking a while to kill it's probably because your teammates aren't doing enough damage. You're still early-ish so it's entirely possible you're being teamed with people who have one engraving slot filled and it's the tutorial ether one. If your teammates aren't dying then as far as I am concerned you're doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Givin posted:

I'm pretty down on paladin right now. I'm probably doing it wrong.
If you aren't the one dying and you're using all your abilities & hitting the boss then it's likely not you who is doing it wrong.

T1 is brutal right now because there are a bunch of people who have never played an ARPG/MMO before & equip random stuff+random skills+don't use runes/etc doing a bunch of the content.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 9, 2022

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Basically if you aren't trying to carry your guardian raid groups with a full dps spec then you're not the problem.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Having a support player is awesome. As an artillerist if I have a support I can actually just roll my face on the keyboard and just vomit damage

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

explosivo posted:

I can't speak for Paladins but I've been playing guardian raids with my bard support loadout and it's a huge boon to everyone because of the constant buffs/shields/healing. If it's taking a while to kill it's probably because your teammates aren't doing enough damage. You're still early-ish so it's entirely possible you're being teamed with people who have one engraving slot filled and it's the tutorial ether one. If your teammates aren't dying then as far as I am concerned you're doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Does Bard have a cleanse? I am looking through their skill tripods, and I am not seeing a cleanse which would be helpful against certain guardians.

Givin posted:

I'm pretty down on paladin right now. I'm probably doing it wrong. Is support in guardian raids a bad thing? These bosses take a long time to die and despite me keeping a +damage taken debuff on the boss, +damage buff on my team and throwing out the shield and the -damage areas for people about to be hit by bad, it doesn't seem to matter.

poo poo takes forever to die or everyone dies despite me actively healing/buffing my balls off. More often than not, I get MVP for healing when I do squeak out a win.

For context, I'm only at like 490 and only have the first full buff of Blessed Aura. I can't find any other source to add more into it so I have to run 2x Blessed Aura engravings just to activate it.

Also I'm loving sick of being the only dude in the world to bring flares.

EDIT: Those emotes own.

Early on, the support role is very minimal given the stats at early ilvl. As someone who has a paladin, bard, and gunlancer, the gunlancer has more utility at early ilvl since the shields provided by paladin and bard are very small unless you got lucky with accessories from the abyss dungeon, and gunlancer has a taunt. It is what is early on.

Flair fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 9, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Symphonia gives one debuff immunity to the group. I'm enjoying my support bard but it's very obvious when the rest of the group is putting out DPS or not. Really it seems like 5 days ago or so there was a critical mass of bad players that advanced to where I am :negative:

*Dave shouting at Alvin and the Chipmunks style* AAAARRRRRRRRMMMMEEEENNNNNNN!!!!!!

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Being a support in guardian raids is awesome. I brute forced Tytalos yesterday by spamming my big rear end awakening shield instead of actually doing the invuln mechanic because everyone always fucks it up anyway.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
March 2022 release notes (this starts tomorrow): https://www.playlostark.com/en-gb/news/articles/march-2022-release-notes

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Was just coming here to post this. :3:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
lost ark mario kart looks sweet

love how random this game gets

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Kaysette posted:

lost ark mario kart looks sweet

love how random this game gets

there are lots of situations in this game that i think "wait... is this game trolling me? i think it is, and i am here for it!"

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Lost Ark being a mix of soap opera Serious Demon Story and completely random material is a big part of the charm

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I tried to join an abyss dungeon with random players. We all clicked enter and formed a party, but none of us entered the dungeon. Game is still as stable as ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

there are lots of situations in this game that i think "wait... is this game trolling me? i think it is, and i am here for it!"

haha yeah I am loving all of this random content.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I do really enjoy gimping through my daily Anguished isle content with not being able to use half my skillbar because skipping a cutscene with a controller button is a big nono for the game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Flair posted:

Does Bard have a cleanse? I am looking through their skill tripods, and I am not seeing a cleanse which would be helpful against certain guardians.

Nope. Pally supremacy!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah bard not having a cleanse is a bummer but she makes up for it by having a bunch of killer buffs and poo poo.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Releasing Argos this early is a big big misstep imo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

the panacea posted:

You should disable other players effects (except healing) in the settings.
Otherwise raids with 8 people are impossible.

I've just been looking but what actual setting is this? I seriously can't find it.

TIA

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Khorne posted:

I'd 100% recommend crystalline aura. The bifrost slots save tons of time & the silver reductions make a difference longterm. There's a massive silver crunch in T3. Using pet for storage & repair & mail anywhere is amazing as well.

The game does try to get people to pay the monthly fee for that. There is also "ark pass" which is a battlepass equivalent that most people will probably buy too. I know I'll probably drop actual money on monthly sub & battlepass equivalent because I don't mind paying some money for a game I play.

I triport constantly thanks to Aura. The extra emote and song rapport action per day is good too. The combination of these two saves a lot of money in the first month.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MarcusSA posted:

I've just been looking but what actual setting is this? I seriously can't find it.

TIA

Gameplay > Controls & Display > Battle Effects Display. It's in the "Show combat / pet" category three down from the top

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zotix posted:

Releasing Argos this early is a big big misstep imo.

It's a tier 3 raid too isn't it? AGS was just on their Lost Ark Twitch channel saying only 13% of the playerbase has even made it to level 50.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

ten_twentyfour posted:

Watched Shroud "play" this game by spending an hour and like $1k on p2w currency to upgrade some set of armor like 6 levels with the fervor of a Crack addict who just found $20 for Crack. What a great thing to be showing kids, "getting gud" with a swipe of mom's credit card and mashing on the $99.99 gems package. Glad I dodged this Korean p2w grindfest.

There's a conversation to be had here about how there are definitely LA/gacha/gambling streamers that market themselves towards minors and other people vulnerable to gambling mechanics, but it's not really about Lost Ark.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, that's more of a problem with gaming as a whole.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It's a tier 3 raid too isn't it? AGS was just on their Lost Ark Twitch channel saying only 13% of the playerbase has even made it to level 50.

It's not just that, it's 1370 which is not a small feat, at this point. In order to be 1370 right now you either needed to have extensive game knowledge from other regions and were able to capitalize on that massively, or by buying gold.

Obviously I don't have access to their metrics but if I had to guess, I'd say maybe .1% of all Na/EU accounts have a 1370 ilevel or higher character. I ID a lot of people I come across and very few are over 1355 and far less are 1370.

It's one thing to have a raid people can access and have whales in there with +20 gear. It's another to release content that players can't even get into without spending. I think the backlash will be big on this.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I know this discussion was a few pages back, but are all the "cooking ingredient" vendors and such just for Adventure Tome completion? I poked at it half-heartedly and thought "surely there must be more to this than spending silver on ingredients / hunting monsters for ingredient drops, exchanging it for a cooked item, then eating it to " but...maybe not?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, that's more of a problem with gaming as a whole.
It really is. This game might be guilty of p2w or predatory micro, but it definitely is not the worst - calling a p2w grindfest feels rather hyperbolic when I don't really even understand how I'm supposed to pay to win at 100+ hours in or see why I would.

The game feels reasonable with what you have access to without putting money in; I want to say ESO felt way more obnoxious with the amount of stuff it was reminding me I wasn't getting because I wasn't paying for premium or whatever. (But it's been a long time.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zotix posted:

It's one thing to have a raid people can access and have whales in there with +20 gear. It's another to release content that players can't even get into without spending. I think the backlash will be big on this.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really see the issue? It would be nice to have more content earlier that more people can play right now but it's not like this raid is only available for the next 30 days and never again. Yeah the whales can play it right now if they want to but it's setting up more content to play later on for everyone else.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

Gameplay > Controls & Display > Battle Effects Display. It's in the "Show combat / pet" category three down from the top

Thanks! So the only one you want to show is the Buff effects right?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I think the last thing the game needs is more T1-and-below content, so who cares if they're adding stuff in T3.

If anything, there's a bad need for additional editing and compression on the 1-50 experience because the game currently feels like an extended multi-hour tutorial slog until at least the point where you get the boat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You'd have to be a massive idiot to whale through T1 and T2 when islands exist, are generally some of the best content in the game and shower players with untradable upgrade mats.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

King of Bleh posted:

I think the last thing the game needs is more T1-and-below content, so who cares if they're adding stuff in T3.

If anything, there's a bad need for additional editing and compression on the 1-50 experience because the game currently feels like an extended multi-hour tutorial slog until at least the point where you get the boat.
Yeah, i imagine adding content to t1/t2 would probably wasteful in the medium to long term

but I also think something like an unreleased class would still probably better serve players then an endgame raid for an endgame not a lot of people are at.

They're also probably somewhat limited on what they can do with the game right? Like they're only going to add missing stuff from the Korean version?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
You need 1370 item level to do Argos. And if the roadmap is correct, the first legion raid is in april with the second one in may. They are pushing content out fast but I feel like the majority of players are still in T1 to early T2. At least there is lizard racing for us plebeians who aren't in end game T3. Not even joking, I'm quite interested in the lizard racing. It should be a fun minigame to play. It reminds me of the snowball fight island I did and that was a ton of fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Velveteen posted:

You need 1370 item level to do Argos. And if the roadmap is correct, the first legion raid is in april with the second one in may. They are pushing content out fast but I feel like the majority of players are still in T1 to early T2. At least there is lizard racing for us plebeians who aren't in end game T3. Not even joking, I'm quite interested in the lizard racing. It should be a fun minigame to play. It reminds me of the snowball fight island I did and that was a ton of fun.

Not even that, most players are not even level 50 yet.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Still doesn’t have my #1 request which is the option to permanently disable the virtual keyboard. Why does it pop up when I’m changing pages In the daily quest window? Why does it pop up every time I zone with global chat open? I’m chillin on my laptop, I have a keyboard, please just make it go away forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zotix posted:

It's not just that, it's 1370 which is not a small feat, at this point. In order to be 1370 right now you either needed to have extensive game knowledge from other regions and were able to capitalize on that massively, or by buying gold.

Obviously I don't have access to their metrics but if I had to guess, I'd say maybe .1% of all Na/EU accounts have a 1370 ilevel or higher character. I ID a lot of people I come across and very few are over 1355 and far less are 1370.

To put it in context, I'm at 1340 and it would cost me around 300k gold at yesterday's prices to hit 1370.

At today's prices, it's probably 30%-40% more if I were to buy everything from the market.

And that's assuming I have enough silver to upgrade.

Realistically it might cost me less because I've been hoarding mats deliberately and only floating 10k-20k gold, but that's the opportunity cost of going from 1340->1370. A lot of gold. I could always sell those mats and wait, but I don't think the waiting game will pay off because more and more people are hitting t3 and more and more people are going to feel bad about not doing the first "real" raid content in a timely manner.

the leaked honing chances we aren't getting don't help as much as people think either, it takes 300k and turns it into ~150k. I mean okay that helps, but it's not radically different. Especially because the announcement of argos, honing changes or not, will spike mat prices sky-high. The slight dip tomorrow won't last through friday/sat.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 9, 2022