Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As the show goes on you may find"threatening to kill Yurika" less of a flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'm really liking the story of W so far, I understand why it's considered so good. Too bad I don't like the rest of the game too much, though. I think VXT spoiled me.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It’s definitely long in the tooth mechanics wise these days, yeah. Also still has a fair bit of that J problem where maps love having you fight dudes at one end then spawning reinforcements on the other end.

Still it lets me use a bunch of elite grunt MS like the gunbarrel dagger on NG+ so :hmmyes:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I definitely miss some stuff like being able to cast Spirits on other units post-movement (mostly for Cheer and Bless) but also I don't miss how challenge-killing some quality of life upgrades were (such as casting Spirits at any time). If there's one thing I do miss here though it's being told how many units I can deploy next mission and being able to upgrade before deployment (not in the intermission). Those are very nice things that make my planning so much easier.

I'd still shell out money for a remake with all of those changes if it included voice acting though, it feels so weird to have Guy but no screaming.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

The Golux posted:

Maybe, but in that case most of them would probably have truncated spirit lists. While 7 is a huge number to start with, the real dramatic thing with FGGG is that all of the pilots except one are also standalone pilots and have protagonist-style/quality spirit lists

Being standalone pilots also means they can get SP Ups and SP Regen, which pure sub pilots can't. Strong as hell

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The only way you could possibly improve FGGG's spirit lists would be Zeal.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

I'm really liking the story of W so far, I understand why it's considered so good. Too bad I don't like the rest of the game too much, though. I think VXT spoiled me.

My advice, and I am being 100% serious here, is to just cheat. If you want the writing but the actual game bits aren't doing it for you, trivialize them. "Abuse the poo poo out of save states" is certainly one way to do it, but I'm talking about just using an external program like ArtMoney to give yourself a bank account of Yes and max out all the units. Cheat Engine is another possibility, at least in theory, but I found it more fiddly to use and it doesn't work anyway.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

MechaCrash posted:

My advice, and I am being 100% serious here, is to just cheat. If you want the writing but the actual game bits aren't doing it for you, trivialize them. "Abuse the poo poo out of save states" is certainly one way to do it, but I'm talking about just using an external program like ArtMoney to give yourself a bank account of Yes and max out all the units. Cheat Engine is another possibility, at least in theory, but I found it more fiddly to use and it doesn't work anyway.

Or you could just use Action Replay codes, which are usable in every emulator.

Here's one for infinite money:

021E7EB4 05F5E0FF

And another for infinite copies of every part (both upgrade parts and skill parts):

C0000000 00000029
121E7EEC 00006363
DC000000 00000002
D2000000 00000000

The trick is to just use as much or as little as you need for things to feel more enjoyable. That said, there's an odd side effect in the fan translation, I think, that causes the first two characters of the MC's family name to get corrupted, becoming "ccdygun". Mildly distracting at worst. At least, I assume it's the cheat codes causing it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwarzwald posted:

As the show goes on you may find"threatening to kill Yurika" less of a flaw.

Yurika owns

Nadesico overall is a wild ride. It's a romcom mixed with a parody of mecha that will gleefully oscillate between absurd comedy and drama. It tells you this very early one, with one bit that stands out is An episode ends with the crew discovering a destroyed space colony. The very next episode has a gag sequence where Yurika, as the captain, has to officiate all of the victims funerals. Which leads her to having to perform dozens of different cultures funeral rites, dressing up for each one.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 9, 2022

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

so for Ernie And Keita's Super Robot Fanboy Extravaganza (Stupendous Robot Symposium), it says that the more different kinds of robots you deploy the happier they'll be, which I assume means more special dialogue. Does anyone know how it's broken up, like by series or what? and does it matter if you deploy the two of them themselves or not?

EDIT: perhaps most specifically, do they have dialogue for any of the DLC series?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Golux posted:

so for Ernie And Keita's Super Robot Fanboy Extravaganza (Stupendous Robot Symposium), it says that the more different kinds of robots you deploy the happier they'll be, which I assume means more special dialogue. Does anyone know how it's broken up, like by series or what? and does it matter if you deploy the two of them themselves or not?

EDIT: perhaps most specifically, do they have dialogue for any of the DLC series?

It's by franchise rather than series (what I mean is that every Gundam unit triggers the same dialogue regardless of whether it's OG/Zeta/Char's Counterattack/Victory/Narrative; same for GaoGaiGar/Betterman), it doesn't matter if they're deployed (beyond triggering the dialogue you get for their own series, obviously) and the DLC series give no dialogue. I've screenshotted all of it, but I keep forgetting to upload it.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I definitely miss some stuff like being able to cast Spirits on other units post-movement (mostly for Cheer and Bless) but also I don't miss how challenge-killing some quality of life upgrades were (such as casting Spirits at any time). If there's one thing I do miss here though it's being told how many units I can deploy next mission and being able to upgrade before deployment (not in the intermission). Those are very nice things that make my planning so much easier.

I'd still shell out money for a remake with all of those changes if it included voice acting though, it feels so weird to have Guy but no screaming.

You can still upgrade before deployment post-intermission if you back out of the deployment menu - I forget the exact button sequence to do it but I discovered it on accident for sure.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
W's large number of grunts are fun sometimes to see how far you can pump up Hiver's killcount.

222 right before the final stage, but I wasn't using her much early in Part 2.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Golux posted:

Yeah I know that the lack of J-Phoenix makes sense but I still think J getting a secret extra finisher would be nice. But then, GaoFighGar has a pretty serious lack of lack of moves too, due to some combination of being intended to be upgraded from and given to a secondary character, not being able to reuse the VXT Gatling Driver animation (since that uses the Mic Sounders brothers, 12 of whom are dead and the last one is inaccessible) and possibly not wanting to use the same animation on more than one unit. It definitely seems like while they used a lot of effort on (some of) the new animations in 30, they did also try to reuse as much as possible when they could?

Also am I correct in understanding that GoldyDoubleMarg is a separate entity from Goldymarg in the Hakaioh light novels but just a new body for Goldymarg in 30? I still don't quite get the Doublehammer - the clackers can be pretty useful, and an extra cannon would be good in Marg Tank, but a double-ended hammer is a pretty impractical weapon...

It's weird because they changed how it worked from it's first appearance(which then got retconned to the later version). Originally it was a single hammer with two bits floating around it that smashed together to generate shockwaves(one was a gravity generator, the other neutralized it), this got changed to the clackers. The impacts of the devices, in whatever form, together create shockwaves that act as "blades" of gravity that cut through matter. 30 uh, does not show this at all but in it's defense it is also astoundingly difficult to convey visually.

It's mostly a fancy way to (literally)disarm opponents non-lethally, because the Goldion Hammer isn't exactly a great tool if you want the enemy monster to survive

EclecticTastes posted:

Doublemarg was the original AI used for the Doublehammer, but was only a simple AI, on par with the GunMachines. Goldymarg's Super AI overwrote it when he was recovered and purged of Triple Zero. Like all Super AI robots, Goldymarg's name changed according to his new form, so now he's Goldydoublemarg.

iirc It didn't really change per say as his robot form is basically the exact same except with a second hammer bolted onto it, he just insists on being called Goldydoublemarg

Dr Pepper posted:

Yurika owns

Nadesico overall is a wild ride. It's a romcom mixed with a parody of mecha that will gleefully oscillate between absurd comedy and drama. It tells you this very early one, with one bit that stands out is An episode ends with the crew discovering a destroyed space colony. The very next episode has a gag sequence where Yurika, as the captain, has to officiate all of the victims funerals. Which leads her to having to perform dozens of different cultures funeral rites, dressing up for each one.

incredible

Yurika had one of J's few great crossover moments where she meets Dancouga's Shapiro for the first time and cannot get over the fact that Sara dated someone with a haircut that stupid

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 9, 2022

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Yinlock posted:

iirc It didn't really change per say as his robot form is basically the exact same except with a second hammer bolted onto it, he just insists on being called Goldydoublemarg

He had a second cannon and a double hammer. If Volfogg gets to be called Big Volfogg every time he combines with the GunMachines even though his actual AI hasn't changed at all, then Goldymarg can be Goldydoublemarg. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The onslaught of optional missions are finally done. Now I can play the game :v:

Are they ever going to mix up enemy variety in missions or is it endless waves of one or two unit types tops? It's not really a big deal because you just dodge everything anyway on s-expert, but still. It was nice to see Gaza-Cs with Geara Dogas and, uh, a magnet and a bird t-rex with the head of a man that one time

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

RBA Starblade posted:

The onslaught of optional missions are finally done. Now I can play the game :v:

Are they ever going to mix up enemy variety in missions or is it endless waves of one or two unit types tops? It's not really a big deal because you just dodge everything anyway on s-expert, but still. It was nice to see Gaza-Cs with Geara Dogas and, uh, a magnet and a bird t-rex with the head of a man that one time

Victory Gundam and L-Gaim have a bit of variety in their grunt mech lineup, and by the end of the game, those two will be throwing somewhat diverse waves at you. Basically every other series caps out at two or three grunt mech types over the entire game, though, and it often won't throw all of them at you in the same mission.

Sometimes different series will be in the same mission, so you'll be fighting two series' grunt mechs at once, but it doesn't really mix it up enough to make up for how many missions there are and how many times you'll be fighting those same few grunt types.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vizuyos posted:

Victory Gundam and L-Gaim have a bit of variety in their grunt mech lineup, and by the end of the game, those two will be throwing somewhat diverse waves at you. Basically every other series caps out at two or three grunt mech types over the entire game, though, and it often won't throw all of them at you in the same mission.

Sometimes different series will be in the same mission, so you'll be fighting two series' grunt mechs at once, but it doesn't really mix it up enough to make up for how many missions there are and how many times you'll be fighting those same few grunt types.

That's a bit of a bummer, it'd be more fun to fight different combos of series grunts at once, but oh well. They're mostly just grist for the mill anyway :v:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
'Bird t-rex with the head of a man' is one of the Gridman Kaijus, I assume?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Justin_Brett posted:

There was a similar one in the Getter Robo recruitment mission too

Incidentally, lmao at the One Year War being extended out to include Amuro working with Getter Robo Man to repel the alien threat, as we all know happened. Stuff like that's a lot of fun. Really enjoying how the premise of the game is "a dozen different hellwars, alien invasions, and apocalypses happened at once, also the universe itself almost exploded" leading to the Dreisstraeger crew being the war criminalest bunch you've got with a legion of child soldiers and former child soldiers because the EFF sucks. I think we've also seen six different EFF war crime divisions at this point too (buy the toys!).

Also lmao how everyone double takes at Char then tries to punch him

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 9, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

https://twitter.com/GSW_touhou/status/1501573554734727171?t=VMZaqPlRwlaTCvuXAPo54Q&s=19

The Touhou SRW is getting a (JP only) Switch release at the end of the month.

Now if only there was any news on an EN patch for the PC version.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Justin_Brett posted:

It's that thing from getter robo armageddon, not the invaders but I forget what they're called, that have theropodish main bodies with no arms, a pair of kind of insect-ish wings, and a mannequin face.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

The Golux posted:

It's that thing from getter robo armageddon, not the invaders but I forget what they're called, that have theropodish main bodies with no arms, a pair of kind of insect-ish wings, and a mannequin face.

Face Metal Beast

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ohhhh yeah that guy, haven't seen them in a while myself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

Ohhhh yeah that guy, haven't seen them in a while myself.

From what I remember the Metal Beasts appear once then the game forgets completely about them in favour of normal Invaders.

Getter Robo's inclusion in 30 is a complete loving mess and I really hope next game just changes which Getter Robo incarnation it uses if they're this tired of Armageddon.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blaze Dragon posted:

From what I remember the Metal Beasts appear once then the game forgets completely about them in favour of normal Invaders.

Getter Robo's inclusion in 30 is a complete loving mess and I really hope next game just changes which Getter Robo incarnation it uses if they're this tired of Armageddon.

How was the Arc adaptation? Because I feel like it's Armageddon or that.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

wdarkk posted:

It wasn't great, especially the animation. But it's nothing a SRW adaptation couldn't fix.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SRW is basically the closest we will ever get to a conclusion to Arc so hopefully it shows up in a non-mobile game someday.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao even the Mazinger weirdo boss shits on Char

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

He had a second cannon and a double hammer. If Volfogg gets to be called Big Volfogg every time he combines with the GunMachines even though his actual AI hasn't changed at all, then Goldymarg can be Goldydoublemarg. :colbert:

He has to hold the 2nd hammer in robot form because there's no place to put it, it was kind of a rush job.

Though when you're packing that much ridiculous doom energy I guess you can call yourself whatever the hell you want

wdarkk posted:

There's also New Getter. Or Shin vs Neo.

WrightOfWay posted:

SRW is basically the closest we will ever get to a conclusion to Arc so hopefully it shows up in a non-mobile game someday.

I'm still baffled that they didn't even bother closing the Bug fight. That's like the entire point of animating Arc to begin with.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BisbyWorl posted:

https://twitter.com/GSW_touhou/status/1501573554734727171?t=VMZaqPlRwlaTCvuXAPo54Q&s=19

The Touhou SRW is getting a (JP only) Switch release at the end of the month.

Now if only there was any news on an EN patch for the PC version.

Getting a console release actually gives me hope it might get an official English localization

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I'm still baffled that they didn't even bother closing the Bug fight. That's like the entire point of animating Arc to begin with.

They did and they didn't. The post-credits scene establishes how that fight ended, even if it goes onto another cliffhanger and doesn't show all the details.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

They did and they didn't. The post-credits scene establishes how that fight ended, even if it goes onto another cliffhanger and doesn't show all the details.

Still a cop-out IMO. I mean it would be ludicrous to expect them to wrap up the entire plot but they could at least do the rest of the big unfinished fight

e: also on Arc's animation: yeah CG animation looks like total rear end with Getter, strict proportions do not mesh well with it at all.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 9, 2022

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

wdarkk posted:

It adapted the manga far more faithfully than any Getter Robo anime to date (not like that's hard) while also expanding on it and adding the Go cast which was nice.

It also, uhh, didn't actually give it an ending. It went farther the manga did, but barely. It was also very ugly but honestly I consider that charming at this point, Getter Robo has very ugly people after all.

Yinlock posted:

There's also New Getter. Or Shin vs Neo.

New Getter would be nice. Devolution is also a choice.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Devolution is supposed to be 30 DLC according to found files.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Devolution would've been better in the main game paired with (spoiler-by-proxy for it's big twist)Gridman

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yinlock posted:

Devolution would've been better in the main game paired with (spoiler-by-proxy for it's big twist)Gridman

Yeah, agreed. I thought the same, the setting writes itself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the hell happened in Code Geass I apparently forgot half of it when it was on adult swim

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

What the hell happened in Code Geass I apparently forgot half of it when it was on adult swim

A teenager with a penchat for overacting gains mind control powers and it turns out he's a former prince of the evil empire that controls the world, and as part of his personal revenge plot against his father for the death of his mother, he liberates Japan. He also accidentally causes his half-sister to go on a murderous rampage on civilians because of an ill-timed "wouldn't it be funny if I said" joke, which causes his best friend (who is also now an ace pilot for said evil empire, trying to work within the system to also liberate Japan) to swear revenge of his own. Teen ultimately loses and gets mindwiped by his father's memory-altering powers, until season 2 when his allies recover him and restore his memories/overacting skills and he resumes liberating Japan, which includes getting his entire force exiled to China by doing an I Am Spartacus, where he uses the Chinese government to further his goals until his half-brother exposes his identity and causes everyone to immediately turn on him despite everything he'd done for them. So he leans into it, uses the few allies he has left to beat his brother, then turns the superweapon his brother was using on the whole world and forces them to make him the new Emperor (also he manages to foil his father and also dead mother who was actually evil's plans to Do An Instrumentality in the process), at which point his best friend (who he'd made up with) took on the guy's former alter ego in order to assassinate him and cause world peace because they all had a common enemy for a minute there. Just according to keikaku*.

*Translator's note: "Keikaku" means "plan".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I remember that mostly but forgot he stormed heaven and killed God, apparently

I'll lol if that's the reason Hell is invading