Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

carry on then posted:

kinda related, but those of you who moved cross-country to take a better-paying job, how did you handle uprooting, if it was just you moving? was it overall worth it?

one of the things keeping me here is i have a nice group of friends and zero confidence i'd ever make any more at 30, especially since the places the companies i'd be interested in applying to are all in areas notorious for being unfriendly (i.e. "seattle freeze").

the kind of people who say things like “Seattle freeze” are the same kind of people who think going out to a bar is the only possible way to meet people. it doesn’t matter where you move, you have to put yourself in a position where making friends happens organically, either by living with others, joining local sports clubs, getting involved with your community, meeting through work, or other countless ways where people gather to spend time doing things with people other than themselves. when I moved to Vancouver I stayed in a hostel for a couple of weeks and met a ton of people who had just moved and were in the same position. long story short, you have to make the effort wherever you go, and the really good friends take a while to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qhat posted:

the kind of people who say things like “Seattle freeze” are the same kind of people who think going out to a bar is the only possible way to meet people. it doesn’t matter where you move, you have to put yourself in a position where making friends happens organically, either by living with others, joining local sports clubs, getting involved with your community, meeting through work, or other countless ways where people gather to spend time doing things with people other than themselves. when I moved to Vancouver I stayed in a hostel for a couple of weeks and met a ton of people who had just moved and were in the same position. long story short, you have to make the effort wherever you go, and the really good friends take a while to find.

there's a global pandemic going on, none of those are safe to do

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I did the cross country move around 25. It was pretty rough but would make that choice again in a heartbeat. Lots of other people doing the same.

Now that I’m basically 40? A little bit harder to break into those social circles.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

carry on then posted:

there's a global pandemic going on, none of those are safe to do

that entirely depends on local health regulations and your own vaccination status. even if the regulations say it’s fine though and you just don’t feel comfortable right now then that’s obviously fine too, but just be aware the flip side is exactly the freeze you are worried about. but that has nothing to do with Seattle in particular, you just need to be prepared to jump into the deep end at some point. this is how it’s done everywhere since time immemorial.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

kinda related, but those of you who moved cross-country to take a better-paying job, how did you handle uprooting, if it was just you moving? was it overall worth it?

one of the things keeping me here is i have a nice group of friends and zero confidence i'd ever make any more at 30, especially since the places the companies i'd be interested in applying to are all in areas notorious for being unfriendly (i.e. "seattle freeze").

You gotta have hobbies or something. I got lucky in that I had friends living close when I moved, I made a few at work, and then a few more playing magic the gathering.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

tk posted:

I did the cross country move around 25. It was pretty rough but would make that choice again in a heartbeat. Lots of other people doing the same.

Now that I’m basically 40? A little bit harder to break into those social circles.

yeah. but not impossible, you just have to accept that a lot of your friends, at least to start with, are going to be younger folk in their late twenties/early thirties. over time that might change though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

NYC is manhattan. that's it. signed, a lawn guy land guy

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone have experience working at Gusto or with Gusto as a partner? I have an "onsite" with them tomorrow. What does the goonhive mind know about the company?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i was inspired by the previous conversations and decided to check the job listings my company has. we have a clause for colorado residents but it’s, ‘if you’re a colorado resident you may be entitled to additional information regarding this listing. please reach out for more details’ :shobon:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i saw a "If you're in colorado this position pays number-to-number, but if you're not in colorado this may be more or less" in the wild yesterday

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
made senior the other week and got a 6% pay bump. was told this is special for engineering because we're so highly valued, other people would get max 3%. :confuoot:
on the other hand my figgies are now a neat power of 2 so it's impossible to say if this is disappointing or not

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Pullin down four figgies, I see

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TheFluff posted:

made senior the other week and got a 6% pay bump. was told this is special for engineering because we're so highly valued, other people would get max 3%. :confuoot:
on the other hand my figgies are now a neat power of 2 so it's impossible to say if this is disappointing or not

inflation is 7% at least this year. are you getting an annual raise on top of that?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

qhat posted:

inflation is 7% at least this year. are you getting an annual raise on top of that?

probably not lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“congrats we love engineering so much we only gave you a 1% pay cut”

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
People keep trotting that number out but it doesn’t mean you lost literally lost 7% of your overall purchasing power. CPI is measuring a rise in very specific costs, you’d have to sit down and look at your entire budget to figure out what it really means for you

That being said get paid

edit: to be more explicit, it would only erode your purchasing power at that rate if you spent all of your money on:

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

code:
 All items..................    .5    .3    .4    .9    .7    .6    .6      7.5
  Food......................    .7    .4    .9    .9    .8    .5    .9      7.0
   Food at home.............    .6    .4   1.2    .9    .9    .4   1.0      7.4
   Food away from home (1)..    .8    .4    .5    .8    .6    .6    .7      6.4
  Energy....................   1.6   1.9   1.2   3.7   2.4    .9    .9     27.0
   Energy commodities.......   2.4   2.5   1.2   4.7   4.2   1.3   -.6     39.9
    Gasoline (all types)....   2.5   2.5   1.1   4.6   4.5   1.3   -.8     40.0
    Fuel oil (1)............    .6  -2.1   3.9  12.3   3.5  -2.4   9.5     46.5
   Energy services..........    .7   1.2   1.2   2.4    .2    .3   2.9     13.6
    Electricity.............    .2   1.0    .6   1.4    .2    .5   4.2     10.7
    Utility (piped) gas
       service..............   2.2   1.6   2.9   5.9    .3   -.3   -.5     23.9
  All items less food and
     energy.................    .3    .2    .3    .6    .5    .6    .6      6.0
   Commodities less food and
      energy commodities....    .4    .4    .3   1.1    .9   1.2   1.0     11.7
    New vehicles............   1.5   1.2   1.3   1.3   1.2   1.2    .0     12.2
    Used cars and trucks....    .0  -1.2   -.5   2.5   2.4   3.3   1.5     40.5
    Apparel.................    .1    .3   -.7    .6    .7   1.1   1.1      5.3
    Medical care
       commodities (1)......    .2   -.2    .3    .6    .1    .0    .9      1.4
   Services less energy
      services..............    .3    .1    .2    .4    .4    .3    .4      4.1
    Shelter.................    .4    .2    .4    .5    .5    .4    .3      4.4
    Transportation services    -.9  -1.2  -1.0    .2    .7    .0   1.0      5.6
    Medical care services...    .2    .2    .2    .4    .3    .3    .6      2.7
There are definitely folks on the lower end of the household income spectrum who this is literally loving by 7% but I have a feeling there are a lot of folks in this thread who aren't burning all their disposal cash on what they're measuring.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 9, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

A manager from a place reached out to me, and it looks like a former coworker that i was on friendly enough terms with works at this place. Reached out to him over LI to give me the low-down on the company. Should I respond back to the manager too? Or just shove my resume in the apply link she sent me? She contacted me via my personal email, which im not sure how she figured out, but the job looks interesting enough, though a bit different than what I am doing now.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i am a moron posted:

People keep trotting that number out but it doesn’t mean you lost literally lost 7% of your overall purchasing power. CPI is measuring a rise in very specific costs, you’d have to sit down and look at your entire budget to figure out what it really means for you

That being said get paid

edit: to be more explicit, it would only erode your purchasing power at that rate if you spent all of your money on:

code:
    Utility (piped) gas
  All items less food and
    Medical care
   Services less energy
There are definitely folks on the lower end of the household income spectrum who this is literally loving by 7% but I have a feeling there are a lot of folks in this thread who aren't burning all their disposal cash on what they're measuring.

That doesn't mean other stuff didn't get more expensive too it's just not tracked by cpi

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

PokeJoe posted:

That doesn't mean other stuff didn't get more expensive too it's just not tracked by cpi

Definitely. There's also regular ole monetary inflation. However, the real question is how much you're spending vs investing vs stuffing into a mattress. Not saying don't ask for 7%, but I think 6% is still likely coming out ahead on the balance.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

A manager from a place reached out to me, and it looks like a former coworker that i was on friendly enough terms with works at this place. Reached out to him over LI to give me the low-down on the company. Should I respond back to the manager too? Or just shove my resume in the apply link she sent me? She contacted me via my personal email, which im not sure how she figured out, but the job looks interesting enough, though a bit different than what I am doing now.

I think you should reply in the same contact method she used. Say thanks, looks interesting, I applied. Etc.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

powers of 2 are 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. 16 would be more money than jeff bezos. are you really getting paid 8 figures (more than 10 million usd)? or are you getting paid in krw or something

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I assume they mean the digits before the (single) comma are a power of two.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

I assume they mean the digits before the (single) comma are a power of two.

whereas im thinking they meant `multiple of two`

figgies are themselves an exponential figure so power of two figgies is a double exponential quantity. double exponentials grow fuckin fast

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

powers of 2 are 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. 16 would be more money than jeff bezos. are you really getting paid 8 figures (more than 10 million usd)? or are you getting paid in krw or something

I assume they meant 2^17, 18 or 19 dollars. if 2^16 you need a new job.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's probably not literally a power of 2, it's probably 128/256/512 thousand united states dollars. figgies and powers thereof are loosey goosey

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah or what hobbesmaster said

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also i want to point out all the bugs ive seen in my life because ^ tends to be bitwise xor instead of exponentiation

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

jemand posted:

I think you should reply in the same contact method she used. Say thanks, looks interesting, I applied. Etc.

Yeah, I talked with my old coworker and that's what he recommended. Apparently he talked me up to the manager who reached out to me! Seems like a good shot to get them figgieland prime bucks

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Achmed Jones posted:

it's probably not literally a power of 2, it's probably 128/256/512 thousand united states dollars. figgies and powers thereof are loosey goosey

yeah it's this except it's in swedish crowns. was at 60k/month, now at 64k/m or 768k/year. sorry for being imprecise about the figgies

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ooh, non-us salary-by-month, yet another possible gloss, drat

we had like 4 guesses on the semantics and still got it wrong lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i am a moron posted:

That being said get paid

code:
    Utility (piped) gas
  All items less food and
    Medical care
   Services less energy

this is not an reason to not demand at least a 7% raise. everyone’s inflation is different and yes CPI is an imperfect measure, but it’s the figure we have to work with offered by the central bank who decides all monetary policy and you should absolutely be holding it to your employer’s head

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

qhat posted:

this is not an reason to not demand at least a 7% raise. everyone’s inflation is different and yes CPI is an imperfect measure, but it’s the figure we have to work with offered by the central bank who decides all monetary policy and you should absolutely be holding it to your employer’s head

Yea sure, ask for 10%. I got mad about my raise and was granted 100k in stock (supposedly). I'm just saying I wouldn't look at 6% and take it as a 1% paycut, that isn't what happened.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
"if you spent all of your money on:" and then an exact list of all of anyone's major line items, almost all of which were greater than 6% is not as compelling a case as you think it is unless you assumed the bulk of everyone's spending in this thread was services

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

how the gently caress did they get shelter as 4% more expensive in the past year? home prices climbed 20% and every single person i know got a minimum 10% rent increase

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the way they calculate the cpi shelter price is the funniest poo poo ive ever heard, go look it up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the way they calculate the cpi shelter price is the funniest poo poo ive ever heard, go look it up

no, I’m going to ask everyone in this thread what it would take to lookup an equivalent fact

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

hobbesmaster posted:

no, I’m going to ask everyone in this thread what it would take to lookup an equivalent fact

lmao

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, if it ever starts to take a lot more to look up your 'facts' I can start applying a correction to discount any additional context or background info included. End of the day the same unitized info-over-misinfo value is what we really wanna track, right?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Corla Plankun posted:

"if you spent all of your money on:" and then an exact list of all of anyone's major line items, almost all of which were greater than 6% is not as compelling a case as you think it is unless you assumed the bulk of everyone's spending in this thread was services

‘People in IT get paid quite a bit more than they need to spend’ is my point, if you’re getting paid 200k and spending every penny on consumption then yea that 7% is going to bite more. If you’re spending 50% of your income on that sort of thing it works out to less than 7% (half even! ). I have a large family with daycare and all that and I’m not spending 50% of my income on the stuff CPI is calculating and investing/saving/wasting the rest.

Other people are talking about shelter and things - yea for some people that is going to be more volatile than others. If you have a low interest mortgage from five years ago that’s going to be a different situation then renting right now. Which is why I said look at your budget.

edit: And I'm not trying to tamp down people's expectations which I guess this might come off as. Ask for what you want/deserve and 7% is fair game. I'd be happy with 6% though cause it wouldn't literally be a paycut for me personally.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

CPColin posted:

Pullin down four figgies, I see

One comma club, nice.