Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Is there an alarm app that would allow me to set an alarm which goes off every weekday, and also has a “turn off tomorrow” button, similar to iOS wifi? When I turn my alarm off on the odd non-work day, I always forget to turn it back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Pertplus posted:

Is there an alarm app that would allow me to set an alarm which goes off every weekday, and also has a “turn off tomorrow” button, similar to iOS wifi? When I turn my alarm off on the odd non-work day, I always forget to turn it back on.

You can do this with the alarm clock sleep feature. You set a time for it to wake you every weekday and then on the days you don't want it you can go into sleep mode and skip the next alarm

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

101 posted:

You can do this with the alarm clock sleep feature. You set a time for it to wake you every weekday and then on the days you don't want it you can go into sleep mode and skip the next alarm

I already have a schedule set for sleep to turn on and off, so sleep is already on and will be off in the morning.

Or do you not mean the iOS sleep, but a sleep feature in the app “Alarm Clock”? I can’t find that feature in that app.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 20, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pertplus posted:

I already have a schedule set for sleep to turn on and off, so sleep is already on and will be off in the morning.
Alright, so at this point, just set the alarm on your phone for the weekdays you want it. When the sleep focus turns on, it'll show the alarm time. Just tap that and tell it to skip. Easy peasy.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah at the top of the alarms tab in the clock app should be a 'wake-up' schedule feature. It's that

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Alright, so at this point, just set the alarm on your phone for the weekdays you want it. When the sleep focus turns on, it'll show the alarm time. Just tap that and tell it to skip. Easy peasy.

Oh, there’s literally a “skip alarm” button if you tap the alarm. Had no clue. Thanks!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Sadly, that version of the alarm doesn't let you use a custom alarm, for reasons...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am looking for a drawing app for my daughter. She has a 7th gen and Apple Pencil. What is my best bet? She is in preschool.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kri kri posted:

I am looking for a drawing app for my daughter. She has a 7th gen and Apple Pencil. What is my best bet? She is in preschool.

Unless you need some serious graphic tools, apple notes has decent sketch tools to work with.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Procreate seems pretty amazing but I think it may be too advanced / too much for a preschooler.

I’ve used the free version of Flow by Moleskine to do quick sketches and stuff - I find it straightforward enough to jump into and just use but I don’t have an Apple Pencil.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Iirc I heard that Kid Pix still lives on iOS

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My kid loves Tayasui Sketches. Pretty intuitive with lots of fun things to play with

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Whirl Sketch is dead simple and free: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/whirl-sketch/id1541854330

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Iirc I heard that Kid Pix still lives on iOS

I loving loved KidPix on MacOS back in the day

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Not really sure if this is the right thread or not but is there any tv tracking app that can provide reliable data on upcoming airings?

I’ve got TV Time, which is great, but it’s also seemingly unable to tell me when next episodes of Star Trek Discovery, Bluey, and a couple of others air.

It apparently uses trakt.tv for its info but IMDb also has inaccurate future air date information. Is this just where we are at now?

I do get that shows without announced premier dates won’t obviously have them but like Discovery had an announced 13 episode run and trakt.tv seems to think it was just 10.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Thwomp posted:

Not really sure if this is the right thread or not but is there any tv tracking app that can provide reliable data on upcoming airings?

I’ve got TV Time, which is great, but it’s also seemingly unable to tell me when next episodes of Star Trek Discovery, Bluey, and a couple of others air.

It apparently uses trakt.tv for its info but IMDb also has inaccurate future air date information. Is this just where we are at now?

I do get that shows without announced premier dates won’t obviously have them but like Discovery had an announced 13 episode run and trakt.tv seems to think it was just 10.

I use the official Trakt app and find it really useful. I have it filtered to only show upcoming season premieres though.

If there's some sort of error with the metadata I think you can report it on the Trakt website and it'll get fixed

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a Safari extension that unfucks Twitter? Twitter keeps blocking their site with a page telling me to sign in and such when I scroll down or try to tap on a persons handle to see who they are etc.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Native safari feature to unfuck twitter: the close button.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a Safari extension that unfucks Twitter? Twitter keeps blocking their site with a page telling me to sign in and such when I scroll down or try to tap on a persons handle to see who they are etc.

Basic workaround I use, click the login button, then the x to close that new overlay. Back on the feed again. It’s stupid but gets you past it at least.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Tweaks for Twitter

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there a messaging app that could work over Bluetooth so you could use it on a plane? Got cheap seats for a long-ish flight so me and wife and son will all probably be in separate parts of the plane.

Edit: ah, looks like there’s a few listed here - https://www.igeeksblog.com/best-offline-messaging-apps-for-iphone/

Cicero fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 3, 2022

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Completely browser-independent, just use nitter.com - it removes those annoyances.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PirateDentist posted:

Basic workaround I use, click the login button, then the x to close that new overlay. Back on the feed again. It’s stupid but gets you past it at least.

This works great by the way thanks.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Does Google Maps regularly poo poo the bed for anyone else? I’ve been getting anything from total just laggy unresponsiveness to black screens on car play, to searching for restaurants around me and it showing results that are nearly 140 miles away in a town not even close to the name of the town I’m in. It’s been awful particularly this week.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

GMaps is the only app that reliably softlocks my phone, once a week or so, it's trash.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

Does Google Maps regularly poo poo the bed for anyone else? I’ve been getting anything from total just laggy unresponsiveness to black screens on car play, to searching for restaurants around me and it showing results that are nearly 140 miles away in a town not even close to the name of the town I’m in. It’s been awful particularly this week.

It's been fine the few times I've used it, but apparently they are dealing with a host of poo poo due to Ukraine/Russia - stuff as basic as displaying street names and to who - not that it excuses bad service everywhere else given the size of Google

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

google maps was the app that made me go HOLY poo poo WOW on the first iphone and all these years later it is less usable and not a bit faster on vastly more powerful hardware

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

google maps was the app that made me go HOLY poo poo WOW on the first iphone and all these years later it is less usable and not a bit faster on vastly more powerful hardware

i have to imagine google has intentionally hosed it up over the years to push people to android

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

i have to imagine google has intentionally hosed it up over the years to push people to android

I mean, that's why Apple Maps exists: to prevent Google from cutting off iOS from Google Maps, either explicitly or just by making the app poo poo until people get fed up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve seen the issues that people in (usually remote) places have with Apple Maps, and I’m so glad to not be one of them. It works great for the most part where I am, the last time I remember it sending me to the wrong destination the person I was meeting used Google Maps and it sent her to a different, but also wrong, place too.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I just wish Apple Maps could catch up in simple usability to Google Maps.

If I'm looking up public transit directions to a place, I don't want to have to do the mental math of "7 minute walk to the bus stop, and the bus leaves at 16:05". Just tell me what time I need to start walking at like Google does.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I sometimes use google maps instead of apple and I find it's so busy and messy looking. Apple maps looks a lot cleaner and is more pleasant to use. I definitely agree it should have walk times for public transit (that's also the main reason I use google maps)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I generally prefer Apple Maps for the Watch integration while driving (gentle taps on the wrist at turnings) and overall cleaner UI, but I found a really annoying gripe with it this weekend: It’ll silently change routes and ignore your initial “avoid tolls” choice.

This happened twice in two days - on the outward journey I was sure I’d chosen the toll-free route, then went into autopilot while listening to podcasts and ended up paying £6.50. On the return journey I was more vigilant with the UI choices and it still would’ve sent me the same route (which I definitely didn’t choose this time) if I hadn’t ignored the directions.

It’s a route I know well (from my house to my parents’) so it’s partly my own fault for not paying enough attention, but equally that’s why I set the route in the first place..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just wish any of them would politely deal with rest stops and gas stops when on road trips. It always triggers a frenzy of route recalculations, which is technically the right thing to do I guess but it would be nice if it was more graceful. What would be really cool is if you could enter the estimated range of your vehicle and it suggests a gas stop around that point. Or rest stops every couple hours.

Other than that they've both been almost identical in terms of overall performance. Apple Maps still has issues in urban areas, it's rare but sometimes it picks really weird side streets when staying on a main avenue for a couple more blocks is more efficient. But google is real bad at knowing speed limits and buries me in a lot more sponsored pins.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i definitely prefer apple maps to google maps overall, but there are still a couple of things that bug me about it. one is gently caress yelp. all my homies hate yelp and i will never install the yelp app to read dumb reviews from mad suburbanites. the other is that it could be a little more proactive about speaking turn directions. sometimes it's like "turn right" at the moment i'm passing through the intersection and i'm like yeah let me just swerve wildly here

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Also a web interface so that I can plan stuff when at a PC and be able to share location pin groups or point to point directions to other people without them having to own Apple devices would be sublime. For that reason alone I just default to Google Maps for almost everything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I sometimes use google maps instead of apple and I find it's so busy and messy looking. Apple maps looks a lot cleaner and is more pleasant to use. I definitely agree it should have walk times for public transit (that's also the main reason I use google maps)

Transit is better for transit directions than both, imo

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Arivia posted:

the number of times google has updated their ios apps with new features well before their android counterparts would suggest otherwise

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

tuyop posted:

Transit is better for transit directions than both, imo

Yah I don't take transit that often so I always forget it is installed on my phone :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

the number of times google has updated their ios apps with new features well before their android counterparts would suggest otherwise

I just moved from Android to iOS and the Google apps being noticeably better on iOS is one of the big reasons why I switched.

Siri is so awful though. I didn’t realize how spoiled I was with Assistant. I set a double tap on my phone to run an Assistant shortcut instead.