Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

This is what is baffling to me

Did Putin never inspect this poo poo, or any of his lackeys for that matter? Did no one have the ability at any point to go "sir we currently don't have the military power to invade and occupy Ukraine"?

It's amazing at the sheer failure at every level to remotely just look into poo poo before invading

Everybody up and down the line owed their careers to lying about Russia's military capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

Did Putin never inspect this poo poo, or any of his lackeys for that matter? Did no one have the ability at any point to go "sir we currently don't have the military power to invade and occupy Ukraine"?

It's amazing at the sheer failure at every level to remotely just look into poo poo before invading

in a corrupt and authoritarian state it is far easier to just lie about readiness if you can't control the situation but you WILL absorb the consequences

this is what a well funded and transparent bureaucracy is intended to prevent. the us military is a bloated mess but you can go to a superior officer and talk about problems without ruining your career

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Wow, Russians really are speedrunning the Syria playbook..
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1501675123161677828?t=2by6mOB93qwL3bgWgGKBiQ&s=19
NATO can sit and watch from across the border. Get a nice long look from their satellites.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nenonen posted:

I don't know, but it doesn't sound really likely? Maybe some units with that capability have been active and followed by western intelligence, or something. If Russia actually used chemical weapons against Kyiv then I think even China would find it hard to pretend that nothing big is happening. I do hope Ukraine is prepared for chemical war with appropriate protections, in which case it wouldn't be as effective as against insurgents in Syria. Of course battle chemicals come in many sorts, some are just irritants etc.
Right. I thought too fast and assumed they were warning that 'a chemical attack on kiev is imminent' rather than 'we suspect this may occur somewhere in Ukraine this month'
This was the article.

Yeah that.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Der Kyhe posted:

The loyal elite are most likely securing his personal belongings, that bunker city his relatives are in, and St. Petersburg and Moscow. The Ukraine front gets everything else from where they are available; for example they have already sent battalions from the Finnish border to Ukraine. We know this because it caused a sort of minor poo poo storm here in Finland last week because US said in public that Karelian garrisons seem to be activating for something.

Yeah, 2 out of 3 of the brigades on the Finnish border garrisons have sent their combat battalions to Ukraine.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

TulliusCicero posted:

He inspects it yearly, its called Victory Parade on May 9. :j:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Do YOU want to be the guy who tells Putin, "no, we can't do that?" Better if we maybe try to... you know, softball him...

It isn't completely out of the question that Putin might think that his armies are equipped with those scifi-reject body armor dudes and T-14 Armata-platformed vehicles. It is a cleptocracy after all, and the top man stays happy if he sees them in the parades and his Yes-men tell him how well everything is going. Also, that taking Ukraine is like running over Alabama with "shock and awe"-strategy.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TulliusCicero posted:

Multiple factors:

- no one knew the full extent of the graft that toke place and we are know seeing the full cumulative effect of it.
- few people believed that a near-peer level conventional war would ever take place. Why get disciplined/fired/"suicided" if you can just pretend everything is fine until your unit is stuck on the road to Kyiv. The invasion actually taking place and Ukraine not faltering in days are two very unexpected events.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Der Kyhe posted:

It isn't completely out of the question that Putin might think that his armies are equipped with those scifi-reject body armor dudes and T-14 Armata-platformed vehicles. It is a cleptocracy after all, and the top man stays happy if he sees them in the parades and his Yes-men tell him how well everything is going. Also, that taking Ukraine is like running over Alabama with "shock and awe"-strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=283bDqu92PY

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Downside to US Army rank-and-file: Maintenance platoon sergeants are going to be insufferable after this

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

TulliusCicero posted:

Well, part of the problem is that the same people who would tell him “we are not ready to invade Ukraine” are likely the same people skimming billions from the defense budget.

Inevitably Putin’s next question would be “Why not? Where did all the money go?” and any answer they could muster would likely end with a short trip off of a tall building.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TulliusCicero posted:

My stupid wild rear end guess is that in 2014 Putin asked his generals when the army would be ready to fully invade Ukraine, and they threw 2022 just hoping Vova would forget about it. Or they did all their planning based on how Ukraine and the west acted in 2014.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Nenonen posted:

My stupid wild rear end guess is that in 2014 Putin asked his generals when the army would be ready to fully invade Ukraine, and they threw 2022 just hoping Vova would forget about it. Or they did all their planning based on how Ukraine and the west acted in 2014.

Yeah. Against 2014 Ukraine this would have annihilated them.

Not so much anymore, as we've seen.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, it's probably inconceivable to them that post-2014 Ukraine would or could modernize and prepare sufficiently to counter

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

the issue with endemic corruption is that nobody may have been aware of how bad it is

but at the end of the day the entire operation was predicated on the idea that ukranians are racially subservient to great russians and will immediately be cowed by the russian whip rather than planning out an invasion against resistance

people who did not subscribe to that racial philosophy were already on the outs with putin before he decided nobody can see him because of covid, and now they are neither seen nor heard from

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

the popes toes posted:

Downside to US Army rank-and-file: Maintenance platoon sergeants are going to be insufferable after this

Upside: Thousands more jobs not involving actually needing to shoot anyone

Downside 2: Trillions more spent on making logistics more robust and not on healthcare or infrastructure

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
I do appreciate how they have been keeping us in the know about all these "justifications" for attacks, along with false flags.
https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1501676240180322311

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think the idea here is to deflate any possible international rhetorical edge that Russia could eke out of one of these things. If Sleepy Joe is calling your shots several days in advance, you either don't do it to prove him wrong (and also, don't do a crime) or do it anyway because that's the plan (demonstrating that you are being completely intercepted and are also willing to do atrocities.)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

One of the little points of note is how for the last 8 years the US has been doing military building operations in Afghanistan and Ukraine, the former with basically unlimited funds and the latter on a shoestring budget and pretty strong policy limitations. Guess which progamme was an utter disaster and which one appears to have been enormously successful?

e: remember that pre-Maiden the Ukrainian armed forces were basically a carbon copy of Russia's, with arguably more corruption, less money, and no Gerasimov trying to make modernising reforms. They've come an enormous way.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

javi posted:

I do appreciate how they have been keeping us in the know about all these "justifications" for attacks, along with false flags.

FWIW Russia did issue those kinds of statements before some of Assad's chemical attacks in Syria, but also issued a bunch of them followed by nothing. I wouldn't jump on the this is definitely happening train just yet. I certainly hope it won't, of course.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Nessus posted:

I think the idea here is to deflate any possible international rhetorical edge that Russia could eke out of one of these things. If Sleepy Joe is calling your shots several days in advance, you either don't do it to prove him wrong (and also, don't do a crime) or do it anyway because that's the plan (demonstrating that you are being completely intercepted and are also willing to do atrocities.)

Russia doesn't give a poo poo. They're calling their own shots, including the transparent excuses, already.

KitConstantine posted:

Thanks everyone for the military to English translations! I definitely missed some of the finer points.

In other news Russia said they were going to bomb the hospital before they did. I'm so angry :)
https://twitter.com/olehbatkovych/status/1501622416581218309?t=_b4taTGDnv9pRTLFvcynwQ&s=19
Ukrainian military was there, actually. The pregnant women you saw were an optical illusion.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Alchenar posted:

One of the little points of note is how for the last 8 years the US has been doing military building operations in Afghanistan and Ukraine, the former with basically unlimited funds and the latter on a shoestring budget and pretty strong policy limitations. Guess which progamme was an utter disaster and which one appears to have been enormously successful?

The one where the population is pretty much unequivocally on the US side because of an outside aggressor compared to the vastly more complex tribal system that shapes Afghanistan with multiple outside actors who have a long established influence in the area?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nessus posted:

Ya that's one of the worst thing of all this. Biden was intentionally giving Putin an exit ramp for MONTHS and that exit ramp would be a propaganda coup since you could play off how dumb and hysterical the US was.

Now the narrative is that the US is smarter and better at literally everything militarily AND they know exactly what our plans are days and weeks ahead of time.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

javi posted:

It's especially good to warn now. I hope Russian soldiers see that their leadership might be considering gassing them. It might lead to defections.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Ukraine was, to be fair, under somewhat more serious threat of an eventual foreign invasion by someone - perhaps Moldova, or someone from the other direction.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Just some spec ops dudes on holiday, nothing to see here!

Hereford seems pretty awfully quiet these days with all the SAS boys "on vacation" right now.

Der Kyhe posted:

Really wondering how much of that poo poo was made for an audience of one.

Gawd, this is loving pathetic. At least the other demonstrations of the "Terminator" had it shooting and poo poo, but this was obviously just a remote-controlled ATV. They didn't even bother to have it stand at any point, let alone have it dismount. It's all sleight-of-hand, I've seen better editing in an '80s low-budget sci-fi movie, where they have to do cuts for close-ups of the animatronics then a wide shot of the stop-motion model to convince an audience it was the same robot or creature.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

javi posted:

So what they're saying is that chemical attacks are imminent and NATO is going to get involved because of it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grouchio posted:

So what they're saying is that chemical attacks are imminent and NATO is going to get involved because of it?

Where did you get the part about NATO getting involved?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

I will not go so far as to say the "Russia, charge!" chant is the same as a Nazi salute buuuuuut they should probably specify if they want the kids to use an open or closed fist...
https://twitter.com/YMonastyrskyi/status/1501666277919707150

nevermind I just saw the Zwastika sweatshirts this is just Hitler poo poo.

:staredog:

Oh, so this is why Wallace was yelling about court martial today. But also yeah, hmmmmmmm.

Ynglaur posted:

I haven't seen any OSINT that Russia has sent new BTGs to the theatre of operations since a few weeks before the invasion.

Another good thread from "Actually Gondor can teach us about Russian logistics". Whatever your politics, Mao--and subsequently, Ho Chi Minh--were brilliant strategists who understood the operational art of war very well. Fun fact: both studied George Washington, who, it should be remembered, won only three battles during the US Revolutionary War. (We won't count battles in the French and Indian War.) All three have lessons that apply to Ukraine today.

https://twitter.com/BretDevereaux/status/1501597634473123842?s=20&t=AEEys-PZEDDs_MGeiGz_hA

I’ve seen some tweets with vehicle trains moving towards Ukraine, but it’s increasingly difficult to accurately date them, since they’ve already had so many of them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sinteres posted:

Where did you get the part about NATO getting involved?
A chemical attack on Ukrainian soil immediately triggering article 5 causing war?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Grouchio posted:

Nowhere in that thread does she suggest that NATO is getting involved, nor does it suggest one is imminent.

Also Ukraine isn't a NATO member Grouchio

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Just kids having a little fun

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1501676038090379267

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grouchio posted:

A chemical attack on Ukrainian soil immediately triggering article 5 causing war?

Ukraine still isn't a member of NATO. Article V is about collective self defense.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Ukraine isn't part of NATO

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TheRat posted:

Ukraine isn't part of NATO
Wasn't everyone just talking about how NATO would be forced to intervene if chemical attacks hit Ukrainian cities?

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f
I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed by the far left, centrist/liberal, or far right coverage of this war. In today's media landscape you can get terrible takes no matter what side of the spectrum you're on!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Wasn't everyone just talking about how NATO would be forced to intervene if chemical attacks hit Ukrainian cities?

That was just people getting carried away with their own red lines itt, not anything official.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grouchio posted:

to elaborate on what other people are saying: triggering NATO is done by attacking a NATO member, not by using chemical weapons on a non-member. using chemical weapons on a non-member might get NATO to decide to bomb you if they can get away with it - so it's a bad idea if you are, say, not russia - but it's not going to make NATO want to get into a direct fight with russia unless public outrage forces it to.

Grouchio posted:

they were not. if you thought someone was saying that, you misread.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Grouchio posted:

People were proposing that NATO state that they will (or, may) get involved if Putin uses NBC weapons in order to discourage their use, because they'd kill a shitload of people. I do not believe this has been formally stated.

I don't think it would even accomplish anything for Putin militarily, he'd just kill and maim a ton of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Grouchio posted:

NATO exists to improve the security of its member states.

declaring war on Russia would rapidly worsen the security of all member states