Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed

edit: For the new page

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh, did you think there would actually be conflict? Ha ha. Sweet summer child.

I hate that placid "awww how sweet, everything's gonna be okay" look. I hate that this is the second time the chandak's given a knowing look to Snout like somehow this good thing is all her doing. I hate that Kaianda finally appeared again for a background joke about the seaweed.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also what the gently caress is up with the bog witch, is she a villlain trying to gently caress up their friendship and failing? She's been responsible for three separate conflicts now (or potential conflicts, at least). If that was the case it'd honestly be a pretty funny recurring gag, but then twice now she's done the wistfully staring proudly thing so I just honestly have no idea what Mookie was going for.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Synchronized awful smugfaces from the ink witch and the swamp hag.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also what the gently caress is up with the bog witch, is she a villlain trying to gently caress up their friendship and failing? She's been responsible for three separate conflicts now (or potential conflicts, at least). If that was the case it'd honestly be a pretty funny recurring gag, but then twice now she's done the wistfully staring proudly thing so I just honestly have no idea what Mookie was going for.

These are absolutely the Challenges that are stifling Snout's progress.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Phew! That was close! There was almost a conflict. Don't worry guys, we just barely made it

Anyway

https://youtu.be/ZA8-oyxWj6Q

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

idk man

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No, she presents Snout with challenge symbols to overcome. There was the challenge where he wondered for a second if his friends were useless, then got distracted by nummy veggies. Then there was the challenge where he wanted to cheer up his friends, but got distracted by swamp sex and felt bad about it for a second, then everybody hugged and high-fived him. Now we had the challenge where he saw his friend be violent, which is bad, but he remembered that Arudak is a good guy and hugged him, conflict resolved. (Orc nazis? What orc nazis? The conflict was never about those.)

Or possibly this is still part of the original "your friends are holding you back with their problems" challenge. Snout has already managed to snap them out of their sadfaces by loving the swamp orc, now he solved Arudak's wife issue. Next thing he will solve Kaianda's soul problem by hugging her, then he will hug Ink Witch, which solves whatever problem she has, and then he will have some vision thing that tells him where the plot is. Or, if Mookie needs to draw this out even further, he could have a dream vision after every challenge. That would probably hold him over until the new year.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh, did you think there would actually be conflict? Ha ha. Sweet summer child.

Aw, inkmummy and bogfuckmummy are both so proud.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was wondering what the significance of the envelope Kaianda was looking into was and who the letter was from. Then I realized it was supposed to be the box of seaweed snacks, not an envelope.

Seriously that is some non-euclidian poo poo going on with that box and she's not holding it like how a human person would hold a box.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought the bog hag left with unreasonable antifascist already

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Seriously that is some non-euclidian poo poo going on with that box and she's not holding it like how a human person would hold a box.
I know Mookie meant to draw her rummaging through the box for the last snacks but my eyes insist he drew her checking the back of the box for the ingredients.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I honestly like Kaidana(?), if I were in Legacy, I too would be rooting around in a bag of chips and not paying attention.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
Lmfao the Frankenstein girl not looking away from the box of snacks because she doesn’t care about any of this poo poo is based as hell

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol yeah. Too bad it's likely just a one off gag that's totally divorced from her normal character. They'll probably be hugging it out together again in a page or two.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I want to point out that these are not actually challenges, nobody is being helped with anything, and nothing is being overcome.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Jeez that tweet, Mookie getting out ahead of the "minor webcomic celebrity sent me creepy DMs" accusation by no longer being a minor webcomic celebrity.

Every face in the new one is progressively worse in context. From pouty Snout to frowning Arudak to Caianda who is looking at the empty box of seaweed snacks I guess to the bog nonce and mommy's smirks what are they happy about

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Mookie is just as gross as I assumed

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

God this new comic gets funnier and funnier the more I think about it

We actually thought there was going to be conflict :downs:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Happy Landfill posted:

God this new comic gets funnier and funnier the more I think about it

We actually thought there was going to be conflict :downs:

Lol maybe you did, I'm always expecting any tension to be neutered by the next week at the latest

We're in the Groundhog Day of plotlines now, it's just "challenges" -> LUNA -> hugs -> "challenges" -> LUNA -> hugs -> "challenges" -> LUNA -> hugs -> "challenges" -> LUNA -> hugs until the heat death of the universe

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 9, 2022

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Roleplaying Larry posted:

Lmfao the Frankenstein girl not looking away from the box of snacks because she doesn’t care about any of this poo poo is based as hell

This + her punching snout (didn't that happen......... at some point?????) makes her an easy candidate for best character

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Corpse mother-wife wondering why that pig ate all her snacks, like she's a literal newborn and she knows more about sharing than the presupposed adult

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol maybe you did, I'm always expecting any tension to be neutered by the next week at the latest

We're in the Groundhog Day of plotlines now, it's just "challenges" -> LUNA -> hugs -> "challenges" -> LUNA -> hugs -> "challenges" -> LUNA -> hugs -> "challenges" -> LUNA -> hugs until the heat death of the universe

You forgot hardcore bareback sex scenes in the cycle.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Sometimes I imagine reading this comic as a physical comic and I lol at how much worse it would be

Oh no something bad is going to happen! *turns page* wait no it's resolved already nvm

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

You forgot hardcore bareback sex scenes in the cycle.

I'm hoping against hope that was a one-time thing

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Moola posted:

Sometimes I imagine reading this comic as a physical comic and I lol at how much worse it would be

Oh no something bad is going to happen! *turns page* wait no it's resolved already nvm

And remember, he is actually selling them as a physical comic, I think it's two volumes now? And one of them is called "Curious."

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i love my fascist collaborator friend

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Moola posted:

The idea of reading this with actual page-turning pacing genuinely turns my stomach, it's horrible.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
also I'm stilling vomiting from Mookiesters tweeting about "playmates"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hey Mookie, it's fine if your wife is cool with it but it's not if the person you're DMing is not

That's the tricky part

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

Hey Mookie, it's fine if your wife is cool with it but it's not if the person you're DMing is not

That's the tricky part

who would have thought the "sometimes rape is heroic and good" man would have trouble understanding boundaries?!?!?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Moola posted:

also I'm stilling vomiting from Mookiesters tweeting about "playmates"

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with nonmonogamy, but it's super weird to brag about it. The message is basically "look how cool and special my relationship is *tips fedora*" and "please please please won't someone gently caress meeee". It's also (possibly) a breach of trust with your current partner to broadcast your open relationship to the entire internet.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Don't forget he posted it on International Women's Day. How can I make it about me without realizing it is a very Mookie thing (or at least his persona / Snout is that he wouldn't know he is doing that)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I dunno, him finally referencing those nothing antagonists after so long I couldn't help thinking, "is this...is he...? Oh, nope. There's the hard swerve away from anything interesting"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Moola posted:

It's like someone trying to write a long-form drama for Bazooka Joe comics.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The end, no conflict.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cloche posted:

This + her punching snout (didn't that happen......... at some point?????) makes her an easy candidate for best character

She punched Snout multiple times, and basically showed that if her rage fits lasted longer, she was capable of killing him with her bare hands.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

MiracleFlare posted:

Y'know, lately I've wondered what a re-read of Something Positive would be like. It was mired in edgy 00s humor, to the point where its most famous running joke was rapist rednecks. I wouldn't expect anyone to forgive the author for that or for any of the numerous times where bigotry, slurs, and abuse were the punchline. And yet when I look at the site today, it seems... okay? The art's barely changed in the past decade and half the comics are characters just standing around talking in a void. But the punching down is gone and replaced with the cast growing up into the responsibilities of family and work, and navigating mental health and loss of loved ones in today's world. The latest big subplot was Davan learning his dead best friend had a daughter and her visiting him for Christmas to learn more about her father, giving them both peace. And plus, people seemed pretty happy when the author did guest strips for Popeye comics a while back.

So it's just kinda fascinating to me to see how different comic artists changed over time. A lot of people started in the same general "lol sex and violence" area but diverged wildly over 15-20 years, some work to be better people and some keep falling down the slope. And that's what kinda frustrates me most about Legacy, where everything just stagnates.
I did that pretty recently and the transition to being a kinder and more understanding strip takes a bit but when it shifts, it shifts. It legitimately helps that Randy found a lot of ways to both mature as a person and also find outlets/get help for his anger and his depression. It's actually kind of refreshing how it goes in a direction that's more down to earth as opposed to being the eternal stagnancy of Holbrook's gods or everyone being happy and successful forever like a bad sitcom, they just...they start off as a bunch of friends in a loose anarchic group, young and dumb and angry and loving around, and the group slowly breaks apart through choice and circumstance. It's less that they find responsibilities and more that they kind of just find something to love and that just helps ground them and make them better and more well-rounded characters, even if love brings responsibility. Meanwhile in LODD everyone's friends because I am told they are friends and because they keep being drawn next to each other.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If we're talking about comparable better storylines, here's a friend breakup in Octopus Pie. MAJOR SPOILERS if you plan on reading OP. Which you should:

Suffice it to say, this one sticks, instead of being resolved 1 page later.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If we're talking about comparable better storylines, here's a friend breakup in Octopus Pie. MAJOR SPOILERS if you plan on reading OP. Which you should:

Suffice it to say, this one sticks, instead of being resolved 1 page later.

Oooooooof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Arudak's reason for joining the racist orc group? Because one Callanian was mean to him.

Yeah. That's why racism happens. It's not systemic or culture. It's because one member of that race was mean to you.