Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

reading all these black rectangles has led me to realize I never even met about a third of the NPCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tarezax posted:

You don't need that NPC alive to get where you need to go, it just gives you more context

That’s good. That’s literally the only NPC I killed and it was because I found her chained to a wall and couldn’t even tell she had a name.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Moonveil is fun but a successful nebula is so much more satisfying, if harder to always get right.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Well I'll leave my sign (pw: goon) by the stairs at the boss fog while I do other things for a bit if you'd like more help

are strike weapons good on gargoyles?? I've never noticed but that would make sense huh

They are; they are rock; strike good vs rock. Massive difference vs me trying twinblades. They are also immune to bleed afaik.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bag em and tag em posted:

Fixable

atone at church of vows

I did the same thing and can confirm this works

I totally forgot about atonement lol, never used it in any of the games yet.

Apparently attacking Seluvis DID gently caress my Ranni quest! I just absolved my sins and she's back in her chair. Phew!

Char
Jan 5, 2013

pokie posted:

You can make it happen, friend. I just put a podcast on, turned the game volume down and went at it for hours, lol. This was before I realized I needed strike weapons too. So brutal.

Perhaps. I think having STR 10 and DEX 14 kinda hamstrings me, my morningstar hits for 93.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I totally forgot about atonement lol, never used it in any of the games yet.

Apparently attacking Seluvis DID gently caress my Ranni quest! I just absolved my sins and she's back in her chair. Phew!

You can revive any npc that doesn't drop items for you by atoning. It's very good!

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
So uh. I'm sure some people have picked up a great sword called deaths poker. Looks kind of unassuming, has low stat requirements generally and doesn't seem all that compared to a lot of other options especially when you see int on it's requirements and scaling which puts it in competition with stuff like moonveil. that's a lie. This weapon is almost pure Dex scaling, hits decently when upgraded, does innate frost, and it's weapon art is insanely powerful. The flame when you start it does hit multiple times and the real kicker is the heavy followup. Both parts of the attack all together hit for a few thousand damage. Highest being 5k+ in one hit on an endgame ulcerous tree spirit after frost has been applied. It's good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh my god now I'm in the sewers? How long is this portion??

I don't think I've wanted a game to just end already this much in a while

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Lmao

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

IronicDongz posted:

"source: dude, just trust me"

he makes them out of people, it's not at all impossible that they could overcome his control and murder him in revenge, they contain souls! it's a far more thematically fitting ending than someone else manipulating them instead. his whole thing is that he is a narcissist who underestimates others.

So your position then is that it’s more likely that Puppets stopped being Puppets in contravention of everything we know about them in setting (it’s a practice that goes back so far it was practiced in Nokron, we know of at least one pair who willingly became Puppets, it is not a reversible process or one that can be ‘overcome’) despite the fact that after killing Pidia they immediately go dormant again

Rather than them receiving orders, as puppets do? And that’s supposed to be the reasonable position?

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Macaluso posted:

There's nothing wrong with bumrushing the end. The police won't know and they can't stop you.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
What is the name of the giant prolonged laser cannon spell?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Char posted:

Perhaps. I think having STR 10 and DEX 14 kinda hamstrings me, my morningstar hits for 93.

oh are you a caster? No idea then. Maybe sword of flame and night or whatever it's called?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ghouldaddy07 posted:

What is the name of the giant prolonged laser cannon spell?

Azur's comet.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Does anyone know if the elemental Ashes of War, IE Glintstone Phalanx, Sacred Blade, Hoarfrost Stomp etc scale with magic stats? For example would bumping up FAI cause Sacred Blade to do more damage? Or would Glintstone Phalanx be trash with 7 INT? I realize I could test this all myself but I'm currently honorbound to Raya Lucaria until the area boss is dead.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

bloody slash scales with arcane so i imagine its similar.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I looked up a video and apparently the sewers aren't where I was supposed to go. I'm fuckin outta this dump

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

net cafe scandal posted:

Does anyone know if the elemental Ashes of War, IE Glintstone Phalanx, Sacred Blade, Hoarfrost Stomp etc scale with magic stats? For example would bumping up FAI cause Sacred Blade to do more damage? Or would Glintstone Phalanx be trash with 7 INT? I realize I could test this all myself but I'm currently honorbound to Raya Lucaria until the area boss is dead.

they scale with weapon's scaling stats, i believe. My str/dex char dealt >1k damage with frost stomp.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Captain Oblivious posted:

So your position then is that it’s more likely that Puppets stopped being Puppets in contravention of everything we know about them in setting
yes. the puppets overcame their control and got his rear end because he's overconfident in his control and underestimates others. it's a fitting end for his character which is why it's written to imply that that happens.
your thinking about this seems to be a bit locked-in, I don't know why you assume that something like "the power of the human soul can overcome his magic" is impossible. it's a story, the 'rules' of magic in the setting are not hard and fast ones.

it is not a reversible process or one that can be ‘overcome’)
did seluvis write this post

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man I just fought Gideon, and then returned to Roundtable Hold. Hewg has lost his memory for some reason, and Roderika is gonna stay with him. Everything is a bummer :(

Tree on fire looks cool tho :)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've been getting crashes where all of a sudden the game screen will freeze and not recover, the only solution is to shut it down with a taskmanager. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with windowed/borderless/full screen, tried disabling steam overlay but no dice.
drivers etc are of course up to date

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Wow, with current speedrun strats you only have 6 fights and one involves glitching the AI so the boss can't fight back. Sub 40 mins is surely coming soon.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Macaluso posted:

Man I just fought Gideon, and then returned to Roundtable Hold. Hewg has lost his memory for some reason, and Roderika is gonna stay with him. Everything is a bummer :(

Tree on fire looks cool tho :)

Let me know how you feel about the final boss. I want more tears to allay my suffering.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Best game From ever made. Thanks so much for no covenant grind for the achievements!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ccubed posted:

Wow, with current speedrun strats you only have 6 fights and one involves glitching the AI so the boss can't fight back. Sub 40 mins is surely coming soon.

Can you spoil which 6? I’m curious what’s considered the absolute minimum in terms of reaching an ending

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

GutBomb posted:

Best game From ever made. Thanks so much for no covenant grind for the achievements!

Dang. Was getting all the legendaries a pain? Or just a mop-up in the end? Did you use some kind of save backup to get every ending?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

yes. the puppets overcame their control and got his rear end because he's overconfident in his control and underestimates others. it's a fitting end for his character which is why it's written to imply that that happens.
your thinking about this seems to be a bit locked-in, I don't know why you assume that something like "the power of the human soul can overcome his magic" is impossible. it's a story, the 'rules' of magic in the setting are not hard and fast ones.

At this point I have to assume they're a gimmick based around the username

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pokie posted:

Dang. Was getting all the legendaries a pain? Or just a mop-up in the end? Did you use some kind of save backup to get every ending?

With the exception of 2 legendary weapons, you can find / grab everything whenever it’s been very easy so far. And yeah the ending you can save a backup and restore. (I plan to because I’m evil)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can you spoil which 6? I’m curious what’s considered the absolute minimum in terms of reaching an ending

My guess 2 random demigods, e.g. Godrick and Rennala; then Malekith, Gideon, Godfrey, final boss.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

With the exception of 2 legendary weapons, you can find / grab everything whenever it’s been very easy so far. And yeah the ending you can save a backup and restore. (I plan to because I’m evil)

I will have to find a way to do that on my 2nd playthrough. I am not sure I want to do more than 2 playthroughs in the foreseeable future.

Btw, has anyone found good consistent cheese for the final boss? I never want to do it again in a remotely try-hardy way. And I am aware of phase 1 cheese.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

reading all these black rectangles has led me to realize I never even met about a third of the NPCs

me neither!

i keep thinking the game is barren of characters to meet but then it occurs to me i probably just keep missing them. or i meet them once and never see them again despite them having some kind of multistage questline.

a little signposting like with the first guy who goes to the rose church would've been nice. there are places in the game i will never visit again without a reason, y'know?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

queeb posted:

bloody slash scales with arcane so i imagine its similar.

pokie posted:

they scale with weapon's scaling stats, i believe. My str/dex char dealt >1k damage with frost stomp.

Interesting disparity in answers here but Im gonna go with the second reply for "most likely to be accurate"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

let me make it more confusing by claiming its neither of those and just straight up a function of the upgrade level of the weapon

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The route is something like:

-rush to the Volcano Manor by getting eaten by the iron maiden enemy at the bottom of the waterwheel pit, grabbing the axe with Hoarfrost Stomp at some point
-Glitch out Godskin Noble for an easy kill to get to the bonfire at the end of the area
-do some kind of wrong warp that I don't really understand, but has to do with that specific site at the end of the manor having strange respawn properties that you can take advantage of using the teleporter to CFA at the four belfries in order to get to the full level
-fight Godskin Duo
-fight Maliketh
-Glitch past Godfrey
-fight the final boss

All of those last fights abuse the hell out of Hoarfrost Stomp for damage

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

IronicDongz posted:

Okay so you are basing your position off of literally nothing as opposed to the text of the game then, got it.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Cimber posted:

OMG those giant loving hands

lmao yup

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The final boss feels kind of rng, some fights it just does nothing but fly and spin around firing off twinklies like sailor moon. Not too hard when it actually gives you opportunities to attack it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

pokie posted:

2 of the legendary weapons are missable. One you can either get very early or get later through a long quest (warmonger shack dude drops it when you kill him) and one needs to be grabbed before you set the tree on fire.

The rest of the legendary weapons can all just get picked up at the end. I think all of the rest of the collectibles can be grabbed without issue. I went and collected the last few talismans, ashes, and spells that I had to pick up after the final boss just fine.

And yeah I used save backups to get the 3 ending achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Okay so you are basing your position off of literally nothing as opposed to the text of the game then, got it.

:magemage: