Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Manager Hoyden posted:

You can! Just attribute actionable disparity to unactionable concepts to reconcile why good things don't happen. Can't do the good thing until the intentionally vaguely defined concept is solved. Boom, clear concience

It's not a clear conscious I want. I want the people I love to be safe and well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Heeeyyyy look at mr sunshine and rainbows ovah here

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
phuo, there is no "happiness" except complacent :downs: (empty headedness). One can be happy about a joke, a news item, event, but the notion of a "happy life" is shorthand for "gave up considering improvements" (mental, physical, emotional, geopolitical, entrepreneurial, artistically, etc.).

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
The Personally Held Childishly Jaded and Self-Defeating Opinion thread is over there. ->

Hipster_Doofus has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Mar 10, 2022

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Josef bugman posted:

Stuff like this also feels unfair. I wish I could see things how religious people do.

Don't worry sweetie. God never gives you more than you can handle. Except cousin Timmy who killed himself but he's in hell now so he doesn't count.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Being able to handle something is not a guarantee that one will.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

phuo, there is no "happiness" except complacent :downs: (empty headedness). One can be happy about a joke, a news item, event, but the notion of a "happy life" is shorthand for "gave up considering improvements" (mental, physical, emotional, geopolitical, entrepreneurial, artistically, etc.).

I kind of agree, and I totally understand this viewpoint

But I think,

Fighting for change, and finding solace in living a happy life where you and your partners are all fighting for change, is a difficult path to take but an option nevertheless

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I dunno, I’m pretty happy and I’m working to improve

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not at all. Happiness is a constant struggle for improvement. Whether you do or not is totally irrelevant.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Stuff like this also feels unfair. I wish I could see things how religious people do.

If you can't be Christ like, just base your life off of Goku's. If everyone did this the world would be better

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

This is literally depression.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

If you can't be Christ like, just base your life off of Goku's. If everyone did this the world would be better

Goku is a bad person and a worse father. Be Piccolo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO: I'm not like a weird disney person but I think it's really cool how much dedication they put into the dubbed songs. Like we just watched Encanto twice over in two languages to see what this Bruno poo poo is about (also high af) and it's cool.

This is We Don't Talk About Bruno switching between 21 dubs, it's nearly seamless. I can only speak for 2.5 of the dubs' lyrics but I hear they're universally well-regarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VqbiF3EBvA

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: I'm not like a weird disney person but I think it's really cool how much dedication they put into the dubbed songs. Like we just watched Encanto twice over in two languages to see what this Bruno poo poo is about (also high af) and it's cool.

This is We Don't Talk About Bruno switching between 21 dubs, it's nearly seamless. I can only speak for 2.5 of the dubs' lyrics but I hear they're universally well-regarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VqbiF3EBvA.

Not songs specifically, but the Finnish dubs suck and don't sound at all like Finnish. I'd bet the same goes for any "small" languages where the dubs have to be OKd by corporate people who don't speak the language.

I know a guy who has done a few and he says they're hella hard because you can't speak or sing at all normally, but pay better than loving anime so vOv

E: lmao had a listen to "Me ei mainita Brunoo" and got about five seconds in before having to stop.

Ee: I guess with songs it's more the horribly lovely translation.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Mar 10, 2022

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Guyver posted:

You'd learn plenty but it's worthless.

First of all you gotta define what is "worth".

Certainly if you look at just human civilization as it is, all the bad poo poo happening, the downward spiral, and see how you can't change it no matter what you do, you can't be happy about it.

But you can be happy about smaller things, like I gave and received a good rear end eating yesterday, and am happy about it. It didn't happen accidentally, there was a time in my life I only imagined these things, but through "improvement" it became real.

Happiness isn't a state of being it's working for moments where you can achieve it, being there, and then starting the work again.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

doverhog posted:

No.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not songs specifically, but the Finnish dubs suck and don't sound at all like Finnish. I'd bet the same goes for any "small" languages where the dubs have to be OKd by corporate people who don't speak the language.

I know a guy who has done a few and he says they're hella hard because you can't speak or sing at all normally, but pay better than loving anime so vOv

E: lmao had a listen to "Me ei mainita Brunoo" and got about five seconds in before having to stop.

Ee: I guess with songs it's more the horribly lovely translation.

Seems like you should have just done some more conquering and enforcing language while you could. Imagine the vibrant finnosphere butchering other people's languages that could be.

e: and this is not a dunk I really want to hear what global god king finnish would do to english or russian

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Mar 12, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I mean we conquered most of Asia and a good chunk of Europe back in the day.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

doverhog posted:

Certainly if you look at just human civilization as it is, all the bad poo poo happening, the downward spiral, and see how you can't change it no matter what you do, you can't be happy about it.

There is no downward spiral if you actually read literally any history. There wouldn't seemingly be a downward spiral if you lived in Yemen or outside of the US/EU, both places that while they have been relatively peaceful, are directly and literally responsible for the rest of the world being the exact loving opposite.

Humans have been doing wars since forever, literally at any point before the year 1900 most of Europe and "The West" was on fire and it is actually unusual that humans were not doing wars in Western countries in the late 20th century.

The only reason they were not is because they were doing wars in other countries and making life hell there, and if you had been born after certain points of time in, idk, Iraq or Vietnam or anywhere the US/UK has deliberately hosed up for political reasons (which is basically "the entire loving world outside of the US/UK, except for areas in the US it is politically loving up"), you wouldn't have experienced that long time of peace to feel that there is a downward spiral.

Experience is relative and the safety you have had comes from the terror and horror of others, continually, over 2000+ years.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like idk if you were growing up in Ireland in the late 20th century you would have had regular car and building bombings and shootouts between Irish revolutionaries and British paramilitaries. So right now IS an improvement on before if you still live there.

Literally any look at these two lists shows that wars have been Pretty loving Common and that the only reason why Ukraine is a standout is because it's literally just "white people in a western country" being invaded and murdered, instead of some people in places you (the general you), as an American (most likely nationality of reader), has probably never heard of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll?wprov=sfla1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars%3A_1945%E2%80%931989#1980%E2%80%931989?wprov=sfla1

doverhog
May 31, 2013

History ended. NATO was irrelevant, liberal democratic capitalism won. Except not. Any of your points about the past when nuclear weapons weren't a factor are irrelevant.

Also climate change, which would've been bad anyway but now any measures to combat it are sidelined due to being in literally war time. I do not care that much about the past 2000 years, I care about tomorrow, next year, etc.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

doverhog posted:

History ended. NATO was irrelevant, liberal democratic capitalism won. Except not. Any of your points about the past when nuclear weapons weren't a factor are irrelevant.

"Death and murder and terror of civilians is irrelevant"

Are you a Borg?

Also the page I posted has about a hundred wars, mostly started by the US, between the years 1949 and 1989. So that fits in your scale.

Again, it's literally the fact that you're a westerner that makes you feel like things have got "worse". The only reason why this war is important to you is because it's white people and you've heard of their country and know where it is in Europe.

doverhog posted:

Also climate change, which would've been bad anyway but now any measures to combat it are sidelined due to being in literally war time. I do not care that much about the past 2000 years, I care about tomorrow, next year, etc.

Uhuh and what measures exactly were going to stop 95% of the producers of climate change -- Exxon, etc. from pumping out hundreds of billions of tons of CO2?

Oh right, none of them were. They all focused on individuals and would therefore only stop around 5% of CO2

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

doverhog posted:

Care or not it's intensely stupid to say things are on any more of a downward spiral than they've ever been.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Care or not it's intensely stupid to say things are on any more of a downward spiral than they've ever been.

No you in fact are stupid. :coolfish:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

alexandriao posted:

Uhuh and what measures exactly were going to stop 95% of the producers of climate change -- Exxon, etc. from pumping out hundreds of billions of tons of CO2?

Oh right, none of them were. They all focused on individuals and would therefore only stop around 5% of CO2

Whatever those measures might have been if Ukraine, and Russia, were members of the EU and NATO, are now much worse to non-existent.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

doverhog posted:

Whatever those measures might have been if Ukraine, and Russia, were members of the EU and NATO, are now much worse to non-existent.

They were done politically to make it seem as if poo poo was being done, but literally nothing was being done of any significance anyway lmao. You can see that by how the number continued to go up and larger than each increment before, despite those measures that theyve been prattling about for the last 5 years.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah, so you are agreeing with me?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

No, because things aren't actually getting worse. There's literally no downward spiral. The only reason you think there is is because of structural racism

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Mar 12, 2022

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A civilization that achieves a certain level of technology (nukes) and a certain capacity to affect their own planet (climate change) will almost certainly self destruct, as we are seeing happen now. Racism is bad but climate change or nuclear war are not because of racism.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

doverhog posted:

A civilization that achieves a certain level of technology (nukes) and a certain capacity to affect their own planet (climate change) will almost certainly self destruct, as we are seeing happen now. Racism is bad but climate change or nuclear war are not because of racism.

Based on what? I agree climate change and nuclear war are bad, but there’s literally no evidence at all that society is going to “certainly self destruct”.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's just scifi conjecture, about why we don't see intelligent aliens all over the place. It's because civilizations that reach that level of tech self-annihilate. The only data point we have is our own, and it doesn't look good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Alternatively the conditions for life are just incredibly improbable and those exact circumstances just never came up anywhere else (or at least in the part of the universe we are able to observe)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

It's just scifi conjecture, about why we don't see intelligent aliens all over the place. It's because civilizations that reach that level of tech self-annihilate. The only data point we have is our own, and it doesn't look good.

It's really stupid because it's built on the assumption that long distance space travel will inevitably cheap and easy, therefore every intelligent species will eventually inevitably be zipping around all over the place. But that is an extremely unsound assumption.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gripweed posted:

It's really stupid because it's built on the assumption that long distance space travel will inevitably cheap and easy, therefore every intelligent species will eventually inevitably be zipping around all over the place. But that is an extremely unsound assumption.

No, because if we assume a species will not self-annihilate, they have a billion years to survey the galaxy. They will transfer their consciousness to self replicating machines and transcend any need for planets. The idea of faster than light spaceships that actually have biological beings inside them is very naive.

FTL travel may be impossible, but the ships traveling would not have anything resembling current humans on them. They don't need to be FTL, that's just a scifi writing convention.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Mar 12, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

No, because if we assume a species will not self-annihilate, they have a billion years to survey the galaxy. They will transfer their consciousness to self replicating machines and transcend any need for planets. The idea of faster than light spaceships that actually have biological beings inside them is very naive.

lmao. Of course no one would actually believe such a silly sci-fi idea. They'd believe a different silly sci-fi idea, an idea that I believe.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's just ideas, thoughts, so you believe your thing and I will continue to believe my thing about how any society that can FTL travel or has become interstellar will not have human equivalents inside spaceships.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

It's just ideas, thoughts, so you believe your thing and I will continue to believe my thing about how any society that can FTL travel or has become interstellar will not have human equivalents inside spaceships.

an interstellar society is a silly scifi idea no matter how you figure it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

FTL travel may be impossible, but the ships traveling would not have anything resembling current humans on them. They don't need to be FTL, that's just a scifi writing convention.

You understand this is just space magic nonsense, right?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think people in the West (correctly) feel that something is wrong and try to find something scary out there to justify that feeling. It doesn't matter than this is the safest and most secure place and time ever.

The feeling comes from being labor under capitalism and being somewhere on the gradient of exploited populations. A lot of money is spent trying to keep attention off of that fact and keep the aforementioned feeling attributed to some other boogeyman

edit: no one will ever be able to transfer their consciousness to anything. If it is ever possible to read a brain, writing that information to anything else will be a copy and the dumbshit who thought he was being uploaded to the matrix will sit there dumbfounded, stuck in his regular old body

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think people in the West (correctly) feel that something is wrong and try to find something scary out there to justify that feeling. It doesn't matter than this is the safest and most secure place and time ever.

The feeling comes from being labor under capitalism and being somewhere on the gradient of exploited populations. A lot of money is spent trying to keep attention off of that fact and keep the aforementioned feeling attributed to some other boogeyman

It's this. Dover wants to be the special one screaming doom from the street corner except they back it up with conjecture and broad appeals to the Drake equation instead of the Bible.