Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

US officials said earlier today that their estimates for losses are very preliminary
https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1501718472979591173?t=4Z1d0s1BDGvKJPM9DJHiiA&s=19
:stare: that's a lot of bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

US officials said earlier today that their estimates for losses are very preliminary
https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1501718472979591173?t=4Z1d0s1BDGvKJPM9DJHiiA&s=19

Not crazy numbers when compared to Iran-Iraq war, or Ethiopia-Eritrea war, or Falklands war when adjusting for deployment numbers. Modern mechanized warfare is extremely deadly and casualty producing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KitConstantine posted:

Interesting new gifts showed up in Poland
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1501722555278934016?t=IjogMdo9ezKOQUwEqnu_SQ&s=19
I don't think these are going to Ukraine, they'd require training. I wonder if this was the "sorry we jerked you around" gift for Poland and Ukraine will get Poland's now-outdated missle batteries :thunk:

Its more than likely a warning to the Russias: Do not try anything stupid against Poland.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Kavros posted:

strongman dictators actually got a straight up problem with competent military operators because they are the primary candidates for "would overthrow me in a coup"

so there's a lot of competency purges in that particular category

In the 1940s it took an existential threat to the Soviet Union to overcome Stalin's abject terror of having competent people in positions of power. Keeping face during a failed invasion historically doesn't get dictatorships to pull their act together as well as that, does it?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Potentially significant given that US estimates on Russian casualties so far have tended to be on the lower end of the scale of those out there.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Inner Light posted:

I hope people in RUS can see this photo.

Without actually clicking it, can you describe what it is?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tigey posted:

Potentially significant given that US estimates on Russian casualties so far have tended to be on the lower end of the scale of those out there.

this is an otr source though

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

(emphasis added)

I think you're wrong and he's deeply, deeply incorrect about this.

I think it's just that his army is incompetent and lashing out . They might think that this is how you repress subject populations but they've forgotten the part where you disarm and arrest everyone with a gun first.

Eh, no, this is a common Russian tactic, they did it in Syria, Georgia, Chechnya, etc. And unsurprisingly its usually followed by ethnic cleansing by Russian military elements in cooperation with local militias.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Cimber posted:

Wounded pregnant lady being carried on a stretcher being evac'd from the hospital that got hit I assume

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cimber posted:

it's not that graphic, if you're worried about gore

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cimber posted:

a pregnant woman laying on a stretcher being carried by some militia. she looks to be moderately injured, but her face is worryingly pale

it is a sad image but it is not gory or overly disturbing

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Thats like what, 7-10% of the force they invaded with right?

That seems high for just two weeks

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1501733405423251456

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

I can't even loving bear to think how the enlisted live. I feel so bad for them.

Literally worse conditions than in prison, if you don’t get lucky. And I don’t mean a Norwegian prison.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

the popes toes posted:

Believing that they are "out of control" kinda revives the cliche that the Russians are inherently barbaric. Of course they're not. They are like you and me. Rather, they are militarily barbaric for a purpose. It's doctrinal.

Now your point that it doesn't work as intended may be true.

Doctrinally incompetent, then. A doctrine written by leaders who think it works, because it works against subjects in an autocracy (who can't fight back).

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cimber posted:

Ukrainian emergency workers carried an injured pregnant woman from a hospital damaged by shelling in Mariupol
Evgeniy Maloletka/Associated Press

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

sniper4625 posted:

Wounded pregnant lady being carried on a stretcher being evac'd from the hospital that got hit I assume

Its the front page image of most UK newspapers (and most of the European ones I just checked). May end up becoming one of the more iconic/memorable images of the war.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Even on the low end, yeah, the estimates of Russian military deaths here suggest extremely significant losses.

You look at the 10k figure of Russian troops killed Ukraine gives and might think "well, that's only 5% of their ~200k troops! They're still 95% effective!" But that's wrong, if only because for every guy killed in warfare you normally have a bunch more sick, wounded, captured, or surrendered. There are also considerations about which troops they lost - the units actually fighting back and willing to advance or attack rather than surrendering or fleeing are likely to be the ones taking the heaviest losses - that 5% might include a significant portion of the most effective troops they had and cannot easily replace.

For things like aircraft you even have to consider that the on-paper airforce isn't going to be 100% operational. Half or more of the on-paper planes may not even exist in any useful way - they could be parked in long term storage with random parts missing to repair the newer production aircraft or may not have received key upgrades (or maintenance) for the past two decades.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 10, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Drunk in Space posted:

Wasn't there an image posted a while back of about a 100 of them crammed inside a barn or something, all sleeping on the cold, hard dirt floor? I think it was from before the invasion when they were delayed so Putin could play mind games for a bit and gently caress his military even harder.

That was some transport station, their alleged 5th day there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CommieGIR posted:

Eh, no, this is a common Russian tactic, they did it in Syria, Georgia, Chechnya, etc. And unsurprisingly its usually followed by ethnic cleansing by Russian military elements in cooperation with local militias.

Right -- if you start doing that kind of thing the next step is either you do a genocide or someone 's grandma shivs you in the neck the next time you turn around.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Play posted:

Yeah you either need to drop enough of them with enough supplies that they can hold out on their own or accomplish their objectives or plan to link up QUICKLY. Which maybe Russia thought they would be able to, but they weren't.

Still prancing dipshits for sure and I am fine with them continuing to parachute in unsupported and continuing to get smoked

I think the Russian plan was for the Ukrainians to not shoot back.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

Not crazy numbers when compared to Iran-Iraq war, or Ethiopia-Eritrea war, or Falklands war when adjusting for deployment numbers. Modern mechanized warfare is extremely deadly and casualty producing.

All numbers from Wikipedia.

Taking the Ethiopia-Eritrea as the example because it was both relatively short (13 months, though the signed peace was much later) and a clash between neighboring countries - estimated casualties for both sides range from 70-100k, so generously 5-8k/month.

The Russians have hit in that range in 14 days.

Equipment losses are no where near comparable.

Iran-Iraq war - also close neighbors, lasted 95 months, combined military casualty estimates range from 300k-1.100k. Per month that's 3-11k. Again, Russia's there in 14 days all by itself

It's fair to say Russia is experiencing an unusally high rate of attrition even for a modern conflict

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Killer robot posted:

In the 1940s it took an existential threat to the Soviet Union to overcome Stalin's abject terror of having competent people in positions of power. Keeping face during a failed invasion historically doesn't get dictatorships to pull their act together as well as that, does it?

Uh, sorry about the whole gulag and torture thing, Mr. Rokossovsky. How about a mechanized corp to sooth any hard feelings?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Right, so we already had Putinjugend zwastika song video. What’s the next logical step? That’s right, need to get Stasi going

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1501701351633559556

This may seem out there, in which case I can share that a former friend of mine works for Russian police. As a professional witness. Yeah, in that sense of it.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Oh! the sēne is back!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Right, so we already had Putinjugend zwastika song video. What’s the next logical step? That’s right, need to get Stasi going

This may seem out there, in which case I can share that a former friend of mine works for Russian police. As a professional witness. Yeah, in that sense of it.

...Russia really is just Cardassia isn't it?

"There will be a trial, you will be found guilty, and you will be executed"

"But don't I get a defense?"

"Of course, there will be a trial, you will be found guilty, and you will be executed"

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

KitConstantine posted:

All numbers from Wikipedia.

Taking the Ethiopia-Eritrea as the example because it was both relatively short (13 months, though the signed peace was much later) and a clash between neighboring countries - estimated casualties for both sides range from 70-100k, so generously 5-8k/month.

The Russians have hit in that range in 14 days.

Equipment losses are no where near comparable.

Iran-Iraq war - also close neighbors, lasted 95 months, combined military casualty estimates range from 300k-1.100k. Per month that's 3-11k. Again, Russia's there in 14 days all by itself

It's fair to say Russia is experiencing an unusally high rate of attrition even for a modern conflict

Baseline estimate is 5% dead. Now add a ratio of 2 or 3 wounded for every one killed.

That would be pushing 15% of the invasion force out of commission in 12 days.

Now add a fudge factor percentage (because nobody really knows) for desertions/surrender. Even if it is 1% that’s adding up.

15% every two weeks is everyone from the initial force in a month and a half.

This is completely unsustainable if true.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The Lada is a pretty good downhill car. Was.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1501725367639613446?cxt=HHwWjIDRhf7QmdcpAAAA

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Baseline estimate is 5% dead. Now add a ratio of 2 or 3 wounded for every one killed.

That would be pushing 15% of the invasion force out of commission in 12 days.

Now add a fudge factor percentage (because nobody really knows) for desertions/surrender. Even if it is 1% that’s adding up.

15% every two weeks is everyone from the initial force in a month and a half.

AND that's the low end.

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1501652227605372940?s=20&t=i1NOYBRkVUXqGZ1BFsCewA

It's possible that a lot of these Russian units might be climbing up towards that 33% number.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not Stasi, but Inoffizielle Mitarbeiter :eng101:

Interestingly only a few percent of East Germans were active collaborators, but if your population believes it's a lot more the effect is rather the same, fear of saying the wrong thing to or around the wrong person helps suppress opposition to the state regardless of what the actual risks were.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The earlier analyst twitter thread went into casualty figures well. She had said that units start to become significantly degraded/ineffective in terms of combat performance at ~80% strength and are considered "destroyed" at 50% strength. And having 5% casualties wouldn't be evenly distributed, and means that some units are seriously degraded, some even destroyed. So combat performance is likely going to drop significantly from an already lackluster start, especially if those casualties are replaced by reservists/conscripts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Word of caution for those searching for Mariupol’ updates - there’s a ton of photos of the mass grave being shared around.

Churchill posted:

Not Stasi, but Inoffizielle Mitarbeiter :eng101:

Interestingly only a few percent of East Germans were active collaborators, but if your population believes it's a lot more the effect is rather the same, fear of saying the wrong thing to or around the wrong person helps suppress opposition to the state regardless of what the actual risks were.

That’s already the case in Russia, and this will only make it more repressive.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JFC I thought this was a joke about Trump tilting at windmills. Then I watched the video.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm surprised (if true) that those allegedly fired generals were allowed to go out with their shield instead of on them

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Allied losses two weeks after Normandy were, perhaps not comparable, but close? Anyway, the Allies gave a poo poo about their losses but were not deterred. Mr. Putin will not be deterred.

In the aftermath Mr. Putin's "lessons learned" will be to re-arm with better kit and with a proper professional military. There was a former Russian diplomat, don't remember where, that said regardless of outcome we should not lift the sanctions. Unless Putin is completely "out of the picture." Because we'll just have to do it again.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

No fuckin way are the nelk boys interviewing an American president. lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the popes toes posted:

Allied losses two weeks after Normandy were, perhaps not comparable, but close? Anyway, the Allies gave a poo poo about their losses but were not deterred. Mr. Putin will not be deterred.

In the aftermath Mr. Putin's "lessons learned" will be to re-arm with better kit and with a proper professional military. There was a former Russian diplomat, don't remember where, that said regardless of outcome we should not lift the sanctions. Unless Putin is completely "out of the picture." Because we'll just have to do it again.

Given that Putins entire system is built of graft and corruption, and they TRIED to do that and the reformer general got kicked out: Good luck with that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

Given that Putins entire system is built of graft and corruption, and they TRIED to do that and the reformer general got kicked out: Good luck with that.
While you do not at any point have to hand it to the Russian military, I doubt they're happy about this either, and it suggests that if they did get attacked by NATO troops they would roll up the Russians in a blunt and smoke them. At which point they would escalate of course, but suddenly finding out your power projection is a lot weaker than you thought, and that your nuclear umbrella may be your primary means of protection now, can't feel good.

Now you and I both know that Russia isn't going to be attacked by NATO troops any time soon.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You keep mentioning friends and “former” friends like that.

At what point did they become “former” and how many atrocities did they commit before that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

CommieGIR posted:

A crisis can create a lot of impetus for change though. Ukraine’s military was trash 8 years ago but losing that territory to Russia so easily gave the reformers the authority to make the necessary changes. I think the same thing may happen with Russia too. The issue as always is that these things take time to fix, and Russia doesn’t have much time.