Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
loving what? why on earth would they remove the feature for their highest end product (wait, is it higher than a 5950x, well whatever highest or close to highest)? is it cooking VRMs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It more likely would be something to do with blowing up the enormous L3 cache. When you stack things on top of each other you cant cool the lower parts very well so it may be more sensitive to mucking around with settings than other recent processors.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CoolCab posted:

loving what? why on earth would they remove the feature for their highest end product (wait, is it higher than a 5950x, well whatever highest or close to highest)? is it cooking VRMs or something.

it may be cooking the cache die, or the bonding might not be able to handle that much heat/physical stress from thermal cycling/etc.

This is one of the very first stacked-die consumer products and the effect of that on thermals has always been a giant question mark at best. We may be getting our answer here, that yes it's a problem and pouring a bunch of heat into the stacked die either imposes thermal limits that make OC difficult/impossible for stability, or it may actually be physically bad for the chip.

in principle, just like MCM, the idea is supposed to be that this lets you get a bunch more silicon into play, so you can clock it all down and boost efficiency, but performance and economics dictate that in practice companies are still gonna clock it as high as they can get away with. And that poses thermal challenges.

edit: someone pointed out this may all be a misreading/exaggeration and AMD just wanted the X3D controls to be hidden in beta BIOS until chips were actually released to prevent leaks/etc

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 9, 2022

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Isn't the consensus now that overclocking is basically never worth it for this class of chip anyway and that the age of overclocking is over?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Perhaps, but only because CPUs can boost themselves to near their limit automatically

If they're being unusually paranoid about manual OCing they've probably set the boost parameters more conservatively than usual too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AMDs website has a 400mhz bit to base clock and 200mhz to boost clock vs the normal 5800x so something is probably up power wise.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Im gonna oc it anyways and you cant stop me, lisa su

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

kliras posted:

When the 5800X3D presumably comes out, I assume it's also going to run a little cooler because they're downclocking it a bit?
well this looks absolutely great in hindsight doesn't it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Llamadeus posted:

Isn't the consensus now that overclocking is basically never worth it for this class of chip anyway and that the age of overclocking is over?

Zen 3 CPUs aren't worth overclocking, that's for sure. Their precision boost algorithm does the job for you, and PBO will also likely be a thing still (which is just PB but with power limits increased/removed). And that's assuming that this isn't a big misunderstanding somehow.

edit: by "does the job for you" I don't mean it overclocks for you, but gets the most out of the chip for you. Pushing the clocks via traditional overclocking is extremely expensive thermally, and you're better off trying to push all-core clocks up by using the curve optimizer and PBO.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 9, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You can tweak the precision boost algorithm, but basically what it means is that AMD processors will automatically use whatever thermal headroom you give them. So, youre not overclocking per se but its still worth it to do all the OC tier cooling because itll get you more boost.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Llamadeus posted:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Zen 3 CPUs aren't worth overclocking, that's for sure.
Yeah, most people got more out of their Zen3 chips by undervolting via Curve Optimizer.

The undervolt drops temps with opens up thermal headroom which lets the chips boost a little higher. It wasn't hard to get my 5800X to peak at 5.05GHz around 81C iirc, but it was not stable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

denereal visease posted:

Yeah, most people got more out of their Zen3 chips by undervolting via Curve Optimizer.

The undervolt drops temps with opens up thermal headroom which lets the chips boost a little higher. It wasn't hard to get my 5800X to peak at 5.05GHz around 81C iirc, but it was not stable.

I don't think temps play all that big of a role, to be honest. Most coolers give enough headroom as it is, at least on my 5600X (I understand the 5800X runs hotter). On my 5600X, I primarily run into power limits instead of thermal limits, and you need to undervolt in order to attain higher clocks at the same power level.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

On my 5600X, I primarily run into power limits instead of thermal limits, and you need to undervolt in order to attain higher clocks at the same power level.

Do you know if that's made a difference in any games?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Do you know if that's made a difference in any games?

Not a very big one. You do get about 10% higher multi-core cinebench scores on a 5600X by doing a modest undervolt via the curve optimizer and lifting the power limits (so it runs at ~95 - 100 watts instead of ~75). In games though, either they're lightly threaded and the CPU can reach its full boost clock anyway, or they're heavily multi-threaded and you don't really need that extra power. The undervolt likely does more work than lifting the power limit does.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

I don't think temps play all that big of a role, to be honest.
Now that you mention it, I haven't hosed around with Curve Optimizer since I put an NH-D15S on my 5800X; it's been a hot minute since I was in the weeds on tuning this CPU.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zen 3 CPUs aren't worth overclocking, that's for sure. Their precision boost algorithm does the job for you, and PBO will also likely be a thing still (which is just PB but with power limits increased/removed). And that's assuming that this isn't a big misunderstanding somehow.

edit: by "does the job for you" I don't mean it overclocks for you, but gets the most out of the chip for you. Pushing the clocks via traditional overclocking is extremely expensive thermally, and you're better off trying to push all-core clocks up by using the curve optimizer and PBO.

Raichu, the same leaker, just responded that PBO and basically all other controls are also disabled for the 5800X3D.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Oh man theyre juicing every last mhz out of this thing

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If the rumors are true, it feels like Broadwell all over again.

Broadwell wasn't a slouch compared to Skylake, but the optimization crew at Intel knew how to keep iterating on Skylake, while the Broadwell experiment went back to collect dust on the shelf.

With Zen 4 already in production, why continue to bother innovating with a Hail Mary one-off design when tons of people will buy the normal thing that just works, anyways?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

If the rumors are true, it feels like Broadwell all over again.

Broadwell wasn't a slouch compared to Skylake, but the optimization crew at Intel knew how to keep iterating on Skylake, while the Broadwell experiment went back to collect dust on the shelf.

With Zen 4 already in production, why continue to bother innovating with a Hail Mary one-off design when tons of people will buy the normal thing that just works, anyways?

I personally know two people that put off upgrading to 12th gen to say "I'm waiting to see Zen3D". It's a powerful thing to have "the best gaming CPU" looming on the horizon.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Definitely gonna wait for reviews on this one, too many caveats not to

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Got a 5600G that keeps crashing on heavy AVX processing. It's running in an Asus B-550 PLUS motherboard (BIOS 2423), and the RAM (F4-3600C16D-16GTZN) is on the qual list. Memtest86+ shows no errors even with XMP (DOCP) on, but the crashing happens even with RAM on default speed. No PBO or other changes enabled. I'll try upgrading the BIOS to 2604 or failing that downgrading to 1804 and see if it fixes it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Trolling Thunder posted:

Oh man theyre juicing every last mhz out of this thing

Or it's really easy to fry that 3D cache if you futz with the voltage

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/1usmus/status/1501889826848755714?s=21

https://twitter.com/1usmus/status/1501890684206432257?s=21

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Vir posted:

I'll try upgrading the BIOS to 2604 or failing that downgrading to 1804 and see if it fixes it.
None of this helped. Increasing memory voltage didn't do anything either. Guess I'll have to try RMA'ing it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Whatever, I don't care about overclocking. Show me some benchmarks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

yep compute die is cooking the cache so they have to turn one or the other down a bit (hence clock rate reductions and no OC). Probably limited by how fast they can move heat through the IHS, so no point messing with it.

Everyone's always acknowledged it as being the big open question about die stacking, what do you do about heat, and imo this suggests that yes it's a problem.

I would actually say this bodes poorly for the future of 600W GPUs because the same thermal density things apply there too. At some point physics will determine that you are gonna have to clock that compute die down a bit.

(I also wonder if with the cache so exposed on top like that, could you heat/cryo glitch it in some way? I don't think that's the reason here but if it's crashing, can you get it to crash in an exploitable way?)

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Paul MaudDib posted:

I would actually say this bodes poorly for the future of 600W GPUs because the same thermal density things apply there too. At some point physics will determine that you are gonna have to clock that compute die down a bit.

(I also wonder if with the cache so exposed on top like that, could you heat/cryo glitch it in some way? I don't think that's the reason here but if it's crashing, can you get it to crash in an exploitable way?)

IIRC the die size of the 3090 is ~6x larger than the 5800X3D, I'd imagine that makes things a little easier

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

New Zealand can eat me posted:

IIRC the die size of the 3090 is ~6x larger than the 5800X3D, I'd imagine that makes things a little easier

Isn't that just more transistors putting out heat that need cooling?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Danhenge posted:

Yeah but the thermal density is lower. Regardless of it being possible though, at some point heat and power consumption will hit a wall because your average person doesn't want their office to feel miserably hot in the summer.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

Danhenge posted:

Its more of a transistor density issue. When it is too dense thermal energy cannot dissipate into the heat spreader fast enough. When things are spread out on a larger die this isn't a issue.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Inept posted:

Yeah but the thermal density is lower. Regardless of it being possible though, at some point heat and power consumption will hit a wall because your average person doesn't want their office to feel miserably hot in the summer.

It's a galaxy-brain move by AMD and Nvidia since they'll be able to market their GPUs as being a way to heat your home without Russian gas.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The new Threadrippers have shown up on Passmark. The 64 core PRO 5995WX hits a new record multi-core score of 108,822. The old record was a 64 core epyc at 88,338, while the highest non-AMD score is an Intel 40 core at 62,317.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

For Passmark, AMD still need a 20% single thread performance boost to match the best Intel, or even just 10% to match the M1. Hopefully they've put a lot of focus on ST for Zen4 & 5; while Epyc might still benefit from more core density, I think consumer Ryzen has hit the point where more cores isn't that useful right now both in terms of workflows that can make use of them or a useful performance uplift. The 5950X always seems to be an underwhelming increase over the 5900X, failing to scale close to the 33% extra core count. There's the drop in Ghz but I also suspect that often there's a memory bandwidth bottleneck.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
someone selling a 3900X and cooler on facebook market for 120 :eyepop:

i could ebay my 3600 for at least 100. can an MPG X570 GAMING PLUS comfortably run that chip? i also have a 650w PSU and a 3070 i won't have power issues will i? very very tempting

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

can an MPG X570 GAMING PLUS comfortably run that chip?
yeah

CoolCab posted:

i also have a 650w PSU and a 3070 i won't have power issues will i? very very tempting
nah, you're good. go for it

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
loving sweet! aight, 12c/24t here i come lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

beep beep here comes the AMD-mobile

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1503720246900932611

tbh the prices are a little bizarre.

Comparing the current Intel non-microcenter street prices, 5500 is $15 more than a 12100F, 5600 is $20 more than a 12400F, 5700X is bang on the 12700F. I guess you could say that's basically the price adjustment for the motherboards, but B550 and B660 are really closely priced in the market right now. And it seems likely that the Intel options will be (a little) more performant and have a better feature set.

Guess they aren't quite feeling the pinch yet enough to get deeper into the price war, so instead just met prices 1 to 1.

The 5800X3D at $449, i sorta feel like they dont want our expect to move many. Guess we should wait for reviews, cause I have no idea how that thing is gonna perform.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Since theyre within like $20 I think well have to wait to see street prices.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

300 series support is surprising. I was at one point hoping to get a 3900x to upgrade my 1700 but prices never dropped and decided to wait till Zen4 and make the DDR5 jump because I want to upgrade to 64gb of ram as well. May decide to stick it out if MSI releases new bios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol wow my B350 might be able to use Zen 3? I've been playing the long game all this time and I didn't even know it.