Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, two months is about the standard for laptops from all of our vendors at the moment. Desktops without discrete GPUs are a bit better, desktops with GPUs may as well not exist.

Outside of standard computers Surfaces are 3+ months stretching out to infinity, docks for both laptops and surfaces are looking June at the earliest. Quite a few of our suppliers have run out of the wireless mice/keyboards we often use and have no ETA on a restock.

Everything is a giant mess right now.

I bought a surface dock from Amazon last week and it arrived two days later. Dell got me my last lot of D6000s in like two weeks, although I couldn't get anything fancier.
Firewalls, though, that's at least a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

mid-level switches, anything 500-3000 that's managed is impossible to get rn.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We're having varying luck with switches but PoE is definitely harder to get hold of

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have never heard someone use so many words to say "you aren't getting bonuses this year despite all of the cheering we did for performance earlier this meeting." He's going on 10 minutes.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have never heard someone use so many words to say "you aren't getting bonuses this year despite all of the cheering we did for performance earlier this meeting." He's going on 10 minutes.

lol corporate America is simultaneously experiencing record profits and also cashing out as hardcore as it possibly can

I challenge anyone to tell me with a straight face that we're economically healthy

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"The economy" diverged from how well people are doing a while ago though. You hear about record stock market performance, GDP growth and you've got increasing numbers of people homeless, using food banks, not able to afford electricity and gas bills. Just feels like all the metrics used to judge a strong economy have no relation to any of the people living within that system.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My pay bump at my new job is the same as my hourly rate was at my first real IT job

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my expected bonus this year is the same as my annual salary at my first job

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Waiting for the next post to involve RSU's somehow

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My company shot down my pitch for a SIEM tool to ingest all of our Cloudtrail logs because of "the current economic conditions". Does that count?

What are we doing in the interim you ask? Saving money obviously, enhancing share holder value!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My company shot down my pitch for a SIEM tool to ingest all of our Cloudtrail logs because of "the current economic conditions". Does that count?

What are we doing in the interim you ask? Saving money obviously, enhancing share holder value!

Will they at least shave you off a bit of that cheddar?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Waiting for the next post to involve RSU's somehow

My RSUs have gone down 56% in value since the IPO thanks to all sorts of economic factors and a war. :suicide:

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

My RSUs have gone down 56% in value since the IPO thanks to all sorts of economic factors and a war. :suicide:

After 7+ years, I got a grant of 590 RSU's a couple weeks ago. First half vests in 2024, the rest a year later.

Gave notice this past Thursday. The pay raise for the new place is larger than all the raises added together I've gotten in the past 7 years. it's also more money than the value of the RSU's at the noted strike price.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I have resolved that I am never working on anything without an approved design document again. No more PMs creating schedules that assume we are building during the design phase to reduce the overall timeframe. We have a customer that signed the PO ten weeks past our deadline for being able to meet their go live. They only delayed rollout by four weeks, but agreed to a shorted review cycle. But whoops, no CR was signed, so when they didn't approve until 10 days after the shortened cycle was over, tough poo poo!

I knocked out an integration for another customer late last year before a design doc was approved as I was going to be swamped with the aforementioned project. They've been sitting on the design doc for months now. They said it looks good, but they figured we'd be doing something else completely out of scope with it as well. Instead of approving the design which matches the SOW, they are dragging their feet with sales even though what they want may not even be possible.

Another customer in that state has expressed interest. "Wouldn't it be funny if this customer got it first because the other is dragging their feet?" I told my co-worker who mentioned it to me. No, what's really funny is that apparently the state told this customer that the integration needs to be done in a very specific way which is not at all how the code I have written works, as I wrote it to the other customer's specifications. So, yeah, I'm pretending I didn't hear that. Let's get this design doc approved, implemented, get paid, and then let the customer deal with any fallout.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well that was fun...

Earlier today Mandrill/Mailchimp without warning changed our sending domain to unverified and immediately started rejecting all emails. It remained like that for about an hour until we got our first customer report they hadn't received their invoices via email.

So we have about 100 emails to re-send manually now.

Thanks Mandrill!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i get why they exist but i despise community terraform modules for cloud resources

your own modules to automate poo poo? absolutely fine, love em, use them everywhere.

Public modules to solve generic usecases? I have yet to find one that meaningfully saves time as opposed to just creating the drat environment from primitive resources, and they're asinine to debug. The extra layer of abstraction is so annoying to translate.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Every public module I've ever looked at has a bunch of dumb abstractions that make them more difficult to deal with than just deploying the resources directly

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I was working with a team creating private TFC modules that drug in some public module that was 8x more complicated than they needed. After like five ‘paired programming’ sessions I finally convinced them to start from scratch and the results are much better and actually make sense from an ‘end user who is going to be forced to consume this because reasons’ perspective.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Adobe deleted our company account at 3am Tuesday morning with no warning.
Contacted support, got an "oops, a senior tech will call you in a few minutes!" And an unsolicited refund offer for our inconvenience.
Currently 14 hours into waiting for that callback, with no licensing.
What does everyone recommend for both a PDF editor and a replacement for Adobe Creative Suite for my marketing folks?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You ain't going to find another suite of creative tools. Take the refund and take solace in you can shrug your shoulders risk free at your managers.

PDF editors? Foxit is a slot-in alternative.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As above, Adobe apps are one of those things that are a standard and it’s not within the remit of IT to try and get people to use something different.

It’s a shame because the licensing is insane.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Silly Newbie posted:

Contacted support, got an "oops, a senior tech will call you in a few minutes!" And an unsolicited refund offer for our inconvenience.
What does everyone recommend for both a PDF editor and a replacement for Adobe Creative Suite for my marketing folks?

We use word for basic pdf editing, serif affinity for photoshop/indesign replacement and davinci resolve for premiere replacement. Main pain point is that serif affinity and davinci resolve have a poo poo ops flow for updates that is hard to set up in intune/sccm

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Silly Newbie posted:

The Affinity line has Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign replacements with a one-time purchase. I use them for personal stuff but I don’t work at a design place anymore and I think you’d get significant push back by most if you suddenly switched tools, they aren’t a drop-in replacement.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Ahh, the joys of IT in the world of Academia!

Engineering professor needs software installed on a lab full of computers. Complains to his dept. head that he needs admin access to the computers so he can install it himself.

Dept. head puts in a ticket to get professor admin - we respond "Not gonna happen, but we will send a Tech over to do the install". Send a link to our booking page so professor can schedule a time for the Tech to install the software.

Crickets for 2 weeks.

Professor responds to the automated email sent out by the ticketing system, "I have the software installer. Please let me know when you are coming over to do the installation." Resend the booking link with a note to please schedule a time for the Tech to come and do the install.

Crickets for 3 weeks.

Professor sends an email to the dept. head that this software has still not been installed and IT is not being responsive to his needs. Dept. head forwards the email to the CIO. CIO forwards email to the Techs to please take care of this issue.

We try to reach out to the professor - no answer. So we go over to the lab. Unable to find the professor, but we did find the dept. head. He can't reach the professor and really doesn't know anything about the software, but he has a USB drive with the installer on it, so we go ahead an install it on the lab computers.

We close the ticket.

A week later, we get an email from the CIO - professor has sent another email to his dept. head stating that we did not install needed drivers when we installed the program. He needs this ASAP! CIO tells the Techs to reach out to the Professor.

Professor Responds All to the email "Please let know when you are coming over to finish the installation. I want to be present to make sure all of the drivers get installed."

I try to reach the professor several times by phone to set up a time - he either is never in his office, or does not answer his phone.

Finally send a Reply All to his email "Here is my availability tomorrow. Please let me know what time works for you and I will come over."

Crickets.

And that is where we currently stand.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why can't the Azure client VPN support sending traffic through peered VNets without having to be running BGP yet :argh:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Because it is a heinous piece of poo poo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's so bad. I don't understand why it exists.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have good results with the commercial OpenVPN Cloud service, I am just trying to avoid deploying a VM running an agent. If OpenVPN supported deploying it by just peering a VNet then we'd be sorted.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

If you’re doing a H+S network you can deploy a bastion into your hub and reach everything

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is for regular end users accessing a thing. I hate VPN as well and I'm 99% sure this can be handled by a reverse proxy but the application team won't budge.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Oh god, I had no idea people use it for that kinda thing. If it's not a desktop app that seems like the worst possible option of all your options.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone has implemented A Thing that is an Outlook plugin communicating with a server endpoint, haven't done it as one of those *~modern~* add-ins that can be deployed from the store and then just installs tenant-wide across all platforms, and the only way it auths is via Kerberos :suicide:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Silly Newbie posted:

May or may not be appropriate for your situation but I just like to share this graphic:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Started a new job on Monday as a network administrator. I was told that they were rebuilding the team.

Documentation is split between a sharepoint site, a 1password vault, and people's personal folders. The sharepoint is outdated, I don't have access to the shared 1password vault (not much of a network admin if I can't access network devices), and good luck guessing the right person to ask.

Supervisor got me started on tickets today. The tickets (high/critical severity) were all opened months ago and no one has touched them since. It feels bad updating tickets with "Is this still a problem?". It's all I can do at the moment because I don't have access to any of our support tools or management interfaces.

The commute is pretty short though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just lol if you don’t use pritunl for your VPN needs

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

Started a new job on Monday as a network administrator. I was told that they were rebuilding the team.

Documentation is split between a sharepoint site, a 1password vault, and people's personal folders. The sharepoint is outdated, I don't have access to the shared 1password vault (not much of a network admin if I can't access network devices), and good luck guessing the right person to ask.

Supervisor got me started on tickets today. The tickets (high/critical severity) were all opened months ago and no one has touched them since. It feels bad updating tickets with "Is this still a problem?". It's all I can do at the moment because I don't have access to any of our support tools or management interfaces.

The commute is pretty short though.

just remember to put in your 8 and go home.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

poo poo that pisses me off:

gently caress you Microsoft. When we all said that we hated having popups steal focus from the active app, we did not mean "design UAC so the prompt silently appears behind all open windows with only an icon in the task bar as notification." Some tasks take so long to prompt for UAC that we can get useful work done in another app while we wait. We'll forgive you for stealing focus if it's something we loving asked for and needed you shitheads.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo pissing me off: we got crypto'd.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

We've just been informed by our securtiy partner they might be reading our mails and to not communicate through company channels.