Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The appeal of Souls lore is that it's trickled around lightly so you have to put together information from item descriptions, extremely small amounts of dialogue, and the environment. Even then a lot of lore is up for debate. And then someone will come in and say that it's not up for debate because they actually know 100% of the lore of every game. And then someone else who says the same thing disagrees with them.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So not really suited to the work of a guy who takes two books to write two-thirds of a book

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

From games are pretty on par for grrm since it’s a lot of dumb bullshit dressed up as if there’s some underlying meaning when in reality it’s pretty inch deep and padded out with unnecessary complexity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There were actually nerds convinced that having GRRM "attached" meant that he would deepen and strengthen the lore instead of just give a new coat of names to a bunch of concept art.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The entire series has this thing where the game mechanics have these rather flimsy and samey lore justifying them, so the constant death is because the world is this sort of broken purgatory and the character and everything else is some form of undead thing that can't really die due the world largely being in some form of stasis, since most of the mechanics are identical between the games it feels like fromsoft basically do a find-replace on the game and just rename some things, so souls are runes in elden ring and blood echos in bloodborne, so basically given that all the old mechanics are there and just needed new names you can kinda see how all grrm could even possibly contribute is some flavor text that had to work (or be fit into) the constraints of the actual game.

Like, there's a few big bosses who made the world worse by refusing to die and you have to go kill them and collect their essence so that you can trigger the ending that somehow alters the cycle but also keeps it completely the same. That's every souls game so far, including elden ring.

So yeah, grrm probably wrote the backstory of the boss who eats poop, and stuff like that, and some of it is parceled out in a few item descriptions and conversations here and there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
New GRRM blog and oh boy it’s a doozy

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/03/09/random-updates-and-bits-o-news/

quote:

I look around, and I don’t know where 2021 went. I blinked and it was gone. Not a year that I am going to mourn much, any more than 2020. A global pandemic, so many deaths (including friends of mine, as well as celebrities of all sorts), politics grown increasingly toxic… it was a year best forgotten. I did, however, get a lot of work done in 2021. An enormous amount of work, in truth; I seem to have an enormous number of projects.

(I am not complaining. I like working. Writing, editing, producing. There is nothing I like better than storytelling).

I know, I know, for many of you out there, only one of those projects matters.

I am sorry for you. They ALL matter to me.

Yes, of course I am still working on THE WINDS OF WINTER. I have stated that a hundred times in a hundred venues, having to restate it endlessly is just wearisome. I made a lot of progress on WINDS in 2020, and less in 2021… but “less” is not “none.”

The world of Westeros, the world of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, is my number one priority, and will remain so until the story is told. But Westeros has become bigger than THE WINDS OF WINTER, or even A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. In addition to WINDS, I also need to deliver the second volume of Archmaester Gyldayn’s history, FIRE & BLOOD. (Thinking of calling that one BLOOD & FIRE, rather than just F&B, Vol 2). Got a couple hundred pages of that one written, but there’s still a long way to go. I need to write more of the Dunk & Egg novellas, tell the rest of their stories, especially since there’s a television series about them in development. There’s a lavish coffee table book coming later this year, an illustrated, condensed version of FIRE & BLOOD done with Elio Garcia and Linda Antonsson (my partners on THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE), and my Fevre River art director, Raya Golden. And another book after that, a Who’s Who in Westeros. And that’s just the books.

There are also the successor shows. Those have taken a ton of my time and attention this year. I have seen some comments out there questioning how much I am involved in these new series. The answer is: a lot. Deeply, heavily involved in every one of the new shows. It’s my world, and while I have been working closely with some fantastic writers and showrunners, ultimately it is up to me to try to keep the canon… well, canonical… and to do all I can to help make the new shows great. (And I love these stories too).

So far, I am very excited. HOUSE OF THE DRAGON has wrapped in London and is now in post-production. What I have seen, I have loved. I am eager to see more. I am excited about the other successor shows as well, however. I am dying to tell you all about them, but I am not supposed to, so…

Well, maybe there a few things I can tell you. Things that HBO has previously announced, or hinted at, or…

We are developing live action shows for HBO, and animated shows for HBO Max. No, can’t tell you how many. But it is my hope that a number of these shows will get on the air. Not all, no, it is never all, but more than one. I certainly hope so. Some of the ideas we are working on are quite different in tone and approach than what has gone before, and that thrills me. The world of Westeros (and Essos, etc) is huge, and there is room in it for many types of stories, about a wide range of characters.

What can I tell you? Well, let’s see. Bruno Heller, the creator and showrunner of ROME, is writing his pilot script for the Corlys Velaryon series. That one started out as NINE VOYAGES, but now we’re calling it THE SEA SNAKE, since we wanted to avoid having two shows with numbers in the title. The other one TEN THOUSAND SHIPS, the Nymeria series. Amanda Segel, our showrunner, has delivered a couple drafts of that one, and we are forging ahead. The third of the live action shows is the Dunk & Egg series, helmed by Steve Conrad. My team and I have had some great sessions with Steve and his team, and we really hit it off. He’s determined to do a faithful adaptation of the stories, which is exactly what I want; these characters and stories are very precious to me. The first season will be an adaptation of the first novella, “The Hedge Knight.” Contrary to what you may have read on line, the show will not be called DUNK & EGG, which could be mistaken for a sitcom by viewers unfamiliar with the stories. We’re leaning toward A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS for the series title, though THE HEDGE KNIGHT has its partisans as well.

Over on the animated side… well, I am not allowed to talk about most of what’s happening, except to say that things are moving very fast, and I love love love some of the concept art I am seeing. And.. wait, come to think of it, the news leaked several months ago that one of the animated shows would be set in Yi Ti. That’s true. Our working title is THE GOLDEN EMPIRE, and we have a great young writer on that one too, and I think the art and animation is just going to be beautiful. I would tell you more if I could. I don’t think I can say a word about the other animated shows. Not yet.

So… there is lots going on.

And HOUSE OF THE DRAGON is coming soon. That’s what you will see first.

And me? I will continue to work with the writers and showrunners and directors and producers on all these shows. Plus ROADMARKS for HBO, and DARK WINDS for AMC, and WILD CARDS for UCP and Peacock. And NIGHT OF THE COOTERS should be finished this month.

And in addition to all that, let me say one again, yes, I am still working on WINDS OF WINTER.

Lmfao he’s one blog away from announcing defeat.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I have better odds on Winds releasing than any of those projects being good, yikes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the grrm cinematic universe

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
The world of Westeros is his number one priority. Fucker is raising the white flag.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Who is going to watch all of these GoT shows after the end of GoT?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yon Absolute Fucker posted:

The world of Westeros, the world of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, is my number one priority, and will remain so until the story is told. But Westeros has become bigger than THE WINDS OF WINTER, or even A SONG OF ICE & FIRE.

gently caress everything about this dude. Seriously. I don't even give a gently caress that you just want to cash out fat man, but you're still pissing on everyone's legs and telling them it's rain. You're choosing to be a media nexus instead of a writer because you know drat well the former gets your dick sucked a lot more. That's gross, but understandable. But you made your bones as a writer and refuse to give up the job. Pick a loving lane before you die, you piece of goddamn garbage.

Who the gently caress is even buying this poo poo anymore? Not even his justifications, I mean the literal products. Who is still buying GoT material of any kind in 2022?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nae posted:

piggies

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Grrm is doing exactly what someone concerned with the fiscal value of his IP would do, he learned from HBO that pushing hard towards releasing the next big installment can be problematic, instead he's cashing in through horizontal expansion, making more tie-in content, and it's probably much easier, just writing a new short story about some fuckface king or another, doing the lore. It will all be perfect for when the next Elden Ring is ASOIAF themed.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Nae posted:

I don't know but I bet someone in HBO is selling them on the basis that "look those Disney Star Wars shows are doing well despite the last movie being total poo poo, so..."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So yeah, grrm probably wrote the backstory of the boss who eats poop

autobigoraphical!

GRRM probably provided the general background of Godfrey, Miquella/Malenia, Marika, Radagon, it's all very Targaryen feeling at heart. Just poo poo like "the goddess was marika and her son blah blah and these european dynasties all named their kids blah can i have some pizza? you guys wanna chuck a couple of manuscript pages of TWOW in the bin on the way out? psych there aren't any"

They've even got the same dumb naming sort of schemes going on. Godrick, son of Godwyn, son of Godfrey, etc etc. Morgott, Mohg, Margit, Mango, Marco Polo etc

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

I don't know but I bet someone in HBO is selling them on the basis that "look those Disney Star Wars shows are doing well despite the last movie being total poo poo, so..."

Also logistical momentum. It's loving scary. You just know there are dozens, if not hundreds, of employees who are drat well aware that if this IP goes down their career is essentially going down with it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The problem for HBO isn’t the initial viewership for their first spin off. It’ll be high. But it’s so obviously in danger of very quickly diminishing. And when you have like 5 other spin-offs in the works that’s a bit of an issue.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I might watch the new dragon show, after it’s all out, and if people say it’s really good. All that other stuff I couldn’t give two shits about.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still like Game of Thrones and such. I don’t think the ending of the show was as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and I also don’t find the books to be better or worse than they ever were. I’ll probably watch. My interest has waned a bit but I’m not like angry at George or whatever.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

chaosapiant posted:

I still like Game of Thrones and such. I don’t think the ending of the show was as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and I also don’t find the books to be better or worse than they ever were. I’ll probably watch. My interest has waned a bit but I’m not like angry at George or whatever.

wrong thread homie

quote:

The world of Westeros, the world of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, is my number one priority, and will remain so until the story is told. But Westeros has become bigger than THE WINDS OF WINTER, or even A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. In addition to WINDS, I also need to deliver a bunch of pointless garbage no one cares about because it's all just lore that fleshes out the world of the story that I'm never going to finish

gently caress this fat rear end in a top hat

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Even if he was asked hundreds of times about Winds of Winter, spread that over nearly a decade and it’s averages out to maybe once or twice a week.

gently caress that guy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The problem for HBO isn’t the initial viewership for their first spin off. It’ll be high. But it’s so obviously in danger of very quickly diminishing. And when you have like 5 other spin-offs in the works that’s a bit of an issue.

Yeah exactly, I think the first one will pick up loads of viewers who hope it's good. Then it'll either blow up into the next big thing or collapse within one season.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It'll most likely collapse. It's very, very hard to be the "big thing" in any media these days.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel kind of bad for George Robert Reul Martin. Even if he's completely abandoned ASOIAF in his own mind (which I'm not sure is a given), it must do weird things to your soul to have to periodically proclaim it's coming. To live the lie. It's gotta always be there, at the back of his mind. A rock he can't get out of his shoe. Some niggling scrap caught in a back tooth.

Or maybe he's just insanely rich and loving life, lol.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Power reveals, and we've gotten to see who he always wanted to be-- a showbiz huckster like Stan Lee, coasting off of some crunch poo poo he did when he was younger and hungrier while legions of subordinates do all of his poo poo and cash him out.

Only he manages to make Stan Lee look like a bastion of integrity and class by comparison.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I've sat through enough "restructuring" or "organizational efficiency" calls to know that someone starts saying things like "our mission is bigger than any one department" you better let go of any expectations you had for a raise or a promotion, and maybe start polishing up your resume just to be safe. That's the vibe I got from that post.

The old bastard will probably never outright admit it. The publisher might cajole him into letting them release whatever chapters he has cobbled together as installments so that they can claim that the story is still moving forward. Maybe someone will ghostwrite the conclusion after GRRM croaks.

Could go a lot of different ways, but overall dude sounds pretty at peace with leaving his great work unfinished, at least as long as people will pay him to pad out the backstory.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the dude's written himself into the biggest corner of all time, and he has enough money, fame and success on the back of the show giving him a boom that he no longer has any real need to write himself out of it.

so why bother when you can eat, drink and be merry

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

porfiria posted:

Or maybe he's just insanely rich and loving life, lol.

He's apparently not rich enough to get a special exemption from the city council to build a literal castle tower, or whatever bullshit it was he wanted to do, so he is denied from fully loving life :emo:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
It's funny to me there are two active book barn threads that are about authors who are never going to finish their series and just endless dunks on them as they pitifully claim there is "some progress" not "none progress" and "the book is coming, but look at what else I'm doing and" "it's tiresome having people constantly ask me where the book is I keep saying I am working on and have been working on for years(, and all I have to do is stop lying and saying I'm working on it but I will never admit that under any circumstances)."

But I guess that's showbiz baby.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

mind the walrus posted:

Only he manages to make Stan Lee look like a bastion of integrity and class by comparison.

lol.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

It's funny to me there are two active book barn threads that are about authors who are never going to finish their series and just endless dunks on them as they pitifully claim there is "some progress" not "none progress" and "the book is coming, but look at what else I'm doing and" "it's tiresome having people constantly ask me where the book is I keep saying I am working on and have been working on for years(, and all I have to do is stop lying and saying I'm working on it but I will never admit that under any circumstances)."

But I guess that's showbiz baby.
Which is the other one?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Which is the other one?

Rothfuss

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

absolutefucker posted:

I am sorry for you.

Said the scorpion as he stung the frog. At least this poo poo is honest.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I've sat through enough "restructuring" or "organizational efficiency" calls to know that someone starts saying things like "our mission is bigger than any one department"

You loving nailed that.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao a "who's who of Westeros" who gives a gently caress

maybe one of the planning committee members who rejected his castle also happened to say something like "i loved your books and can't wait for the next"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mameluke posted:

lmao a "who's who of Westeros" who gives a gently caress

maybe one of the planning committee members who rejected his castle also happened to say something like "i loved your books and can't wait for the next"

That is DEFINITELY a zero effort project on his part that’s right up the alley of his two Scandinavian racists and they can always use the work.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You can already find all that for free on the Internet!

Then again the same can be said for those stupid books of jokes/trivia/quotes and they seem to be selling fine. And Shakespeare.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the dude's written himself into the biggest corner of all time, and he has enough money, fame and success on the back of the show giving him a boom that he no longer has any real need to write himself out of it.

so why bother when you can eat, drink and be merry

And he got to use two utter gormless room temperature IQ rubes as a heat shield for all the guff his lovely ending would have generated had he ever managed to get there himself.

GRRM won. Let the man enjoy his victory.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

D&D look better all things considered because it’s harder to blame them for throwing their hands up and wanting to bail after they finished season 6 and GRRM had absolutely nothing more to give them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

D&D look better all things considered because it’s harder to blame them for throwing their hands up and wanting to bail after they finished season 6 and GRRM had absolutely nothing more to give them.

A pair of better showrunners would have buckled down and put their hearts and minds into finished the show in a satisfactory way in spite of GRRM rather than absently half rear end it while looking at the exit door and dreaming about a phantom Star Wars paycheck that evaporated in femtoseconds because they half assed their demo reel for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It is so, so transparent that the early success of GoT was a case of throwing enough money and deep-bench UK talent at the production until something good came out of it. I think even if they had buckled down, it wouldn't have paid off.