Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Doom Mathematic posted:

Okay so serious question. In git, is a "commit"

1. a snapshot of the complete state of the repo at one moment in time, or
2. the diff between two such snapshots?

If this is explained in the git documentation, do show me where.

number 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
How much of your day to day is working on assigned tasks from a sprint board?

Seems like I went backwards from delivering projects / objectives / key results to delivering bug fixes and completing tasks from a sprint board.

My deliverables are measured in days instead of quarters / semesters now.

Being given tasks now instead of creating for myself and sometimes giving them to others.

Manager says I should expect to get some OKRs of my own in like 6 more months. Since I've been here 3 months it'll be about 9 months total till then.

Does that sound typical?

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 9, 2022

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
If you're a developer then all of your tasks are going to be on the sprint board. If your manager thinks that it's going to be another 6 months before you can start to work on longer term objectives that means:

a) your product is a disaster and it will take until then to free up room in the sprint for anything you can build on.

b) you're very junior and your manager doesn't feel that you're ready for larger tasks.

Possibly both!

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
This is the time first I've had my work on a sprint board in 10 years, so I'm not sure if it's just the way the team works, but setting aside the detail of whether a sprint board is used or not, it seems like the scope of my work is drastically more narrow.

Just seems really dull to receive task, poo poo out code, get next task.

"Move this button from section A to section B"

"This other button doesn't do anything when clicked, but it should do Z, please fix"

"There's this one background request that should be made but it's not happening, please fix"

There's no thought to anything I've worked on so far.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 9, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is this a new position/team/codebase?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

Is this a new position/team/codebase?

Yeah it's a new team. L4.

My previous team they just threw 4 small projects with separate codebases at me on day 1 as an L3.

One this team I'm three months in and I am not responsible for anything, I just receive task and output code.

However, on this team the codebase is massive.

I suspect that might be a contributing factor. There are so many people touching so many pars of it, surely that necessitates differences. But I'm not sure how much is inherent to the project and how much is me being switched to much simpler work.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 9, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you are involved in sprint planning then there's nothing wrong with this - you plan out the work to be done over the next couple of weeks (taking into consideration what your project priorities are), and then you execute on that plan, and then you come back to do more planning.

If you're not involved in sprint planning even after three months that's a pretty bad sign. If it's because you're just mentally checking out of those meetings then it's entirely self-inflicted and you should think about changing that. If you're not invited to those meetings in the first place you should talk to your manager about how you want to be more involved.

This is assuming your team is actually doing sprints and not some six-month-long atrocities that they're calling sprints.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
We have two-week sprints.

Sprint planning is like a longer standup where after saying what you're working on, you receive new tasks for the coming sprint.

But those tasks are inputs to sprint planning and I don't see how those tasks are created or prioritized.

Presumably someone is saying "this is what we want to build over the next six months, figure out how that's going to happen" and presumably someone is figuring out how that's going to happen, getting clarification, finding out what resources we'll need, figuring out what external dependencies may delay the goal, identifying security and privacy risks, maybe suggesting we prioritize something else instead, breaking down what the tasks will be, etc.

So while I am saying I don't see how tasks are created or prioritized, I'm also aware that such task-making work is only a small part, and I'm missing pretty much all of it.

Just taking tasks off a list of things the team needs done is something I haven't done since I was a temp.

I am starting to think they could replace me with a temp making half as much who doesn't even get insurance and probably even get a better result because the temp is in the mindset of just coding all day without getting bored when they miss out on doing the other stuff.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 9, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

oliveoil posted:

Sprint planning is like a longer standup

One or both of these things are being done wrong at your new company.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Isn't the company Google?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

cum jabbar posted:

Isn't the company Google?

I'm pretty certain it is and feel confident saying that the team and org does not actually use Agile. They might use the terms and some tools, but the real planning is on 3 or 6 month intervals.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Yeah the company is Google. The stand-ups are about thirty minutes.

I worked on a scrum team when I was an intern elsewhere ten years ago and I remember agile being quite different.

This org uses six-month planning intervals, so I thought maybe I just need to wait a few more months, but then I had a talk with my manager and it's looking like about six more months till I have an objective of my own to focus on.

Basically the by next perf I can expect more but iirc the timeline was also about "six months".

He mentioned it depended on me so maybe this is an area where I am free to poke around and look for stuff to do instead of waiting to receive something.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 9, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This is something that's going to vary a lot by team. I was at one point on a team with 30 minute, 20 person status update meetings every day that were called "standups" and they were a complete waste of time.

I'm a bit wary of this idea that you need to have "your" Objective that you're solely responsible for. Objectives are a team-level thing that the team is responsible for delivering on, at least that's how it's supposed to work. Do you know what your team's current Objectives are?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Yeah, I don't care whose responsibility it is but I want to do something less monotonous. This feels like somebody else is chewing food for me, there's nothing to think about by the time I get a ticket.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Mega Comrade posted:

I did a revert the other day and was pointed to an internal document telling me I should never do them and should always do hard resets and force push fixes, even on main. When I asked for justification for this heresy I was told they did it once and it lead to a load of conflicts and loss of work so it's just been banned ever since (they didn't know you revert the revert when you've fixed the problem).

I've deleted that document.

i can see their point, when reverting a merge requires a big howto describing exactly why revert doesn't do what you intuitively think it does and therefore why reverting a merge also doesn't do what you would naively think it does. this is of course user error.

quote:

You can revert a merge, and from a purely technical angle, Git did it very naturally and had no real troubles. It just considered it a change from "state before merge" to "state after merge", and that was it. Nothing complicated, nothing odd, nothing really dangerous. Git will do it without even thinking about it.

So from a technical angle, there's nothing wrong with reverting a merge, but from a workflow angle it's something that you generally should try to avoid.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

oliveoil posted:

One this team I'm three months in and I am not responsible for anything, I just receive task and output code.
Based on my experience this can vary hugely with the phase the project is in and how concerned management is about hitting a particular deadline/milestone. I own a few large systems on the project but I’m mostly doing bug fixes from jira at the moment because we’re nearing a deadline. Production is very concerned about stability (and OTHER people’s features :clint:) so they want to minimize changes.

If you feel underutilized, talk to your manager about it, especially since you’re new to the team - “hey, I’m used to working like this, you’re working like that, are we aligned?”.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

redleader posted:

i can see their point, when reverting a merge requires a big howto describing exactly why revert doesn't do what you intuitively think it does and therefore why reverting a merge also doesn't do what you would naively think it does. this is of course user error.

Yeah the language around revert is confusing, it makes people think its an 'undo' when really its not. My problem is that the doc admits the suggested advice is in contradiction to almost everything you will find on the internet. The author knew they were wrong, but wrote it up anyway instead of just learning how to do it properly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oliveoil posted:

Yeah the company is Google. The stand-ups are about thirty minutes.

I worked on a scrum team when I was an intern elsewhere ten years ago and I remember agile being quite different.

This org uses six-month planning intervals, so I thought maybe I just need to wait a few more months, but then I had a talk with my manager and it's looking like about six more months till I have an objective of my own to focus on.

Basically the by next perf I can expect more but iirc the timeline was also about "six months".

He mentioned it depended on me so maybe this is an area where I am free to poke around and look for stuff to do instead of waiting to receive something.

This more or less tracks with my experience. Very meetings heavy, relatively slow compared to typical capital-A Agile. It’s a change for me, and I find it hard to know whether or not I’m doing well or about to get fired just based on my productivity. WFH doesn’t help there.

Maybe I’m just paranoid, anxious, or burned by other companies, but I find it hard to have security and confidence in myself.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's my experience as well. i just kinda got used to it 🤷‍♀️

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

What would okay compensation for someone in the greater Boston area (a figgieland secondus??) with about five years of experience be? I just got the merit increase for the year and it was 8.67% :lol: bringing me to 130k ish base and I got 10k bonus. I'll start poking for a new job once I move apartments in May but I'd like to know how irritated to act at my boss in our next 1-1 :banjo:

I do like my team and our unlimited vacation is actually unlimited, but the current project is too ambitious for how thinly spread we are and I'm doing too much front end web touching instead of NLP work for my liking, despite bringing this up with my boss plenty of times

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

This more or less tracks with my experience. Very meetings heavy, relatively slow compared to typical capital-A Agile. It’s a change for me, and I find it hard to know whether or not I’m doing well or about to get fired just based on my productivity. WFH doesn’t help there.

Maybe I’m just paranoid, anxious, or burned by other companies, but I find it hard to have security and confidence in myself.

My previous team received various problems to solve and figured out how to approach them. There were lots of problems and nobody would have had the time to chew them all for you and hand out tasks. We had more projects than people at all times.

I suspect almost every one of our projects would have likely been considered a full product at another company.

Current arrangement is pretty lame by comparison, maybe I had an uncommon experience but it seemed like Google was a cool place to work where you could actually think about what you were doing rather than really obvious web coding.

Getting paid to solve real problems / puzzles is fun. Getting paid to do the dumb obvious coding poo poo after the problems are already solved is just mind-numbingly dull.

Guess I'll go looking for problems.

Starting to wonder if people only think DDIA is difficult material because they're comparing it to this stuff.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Oliveoil posting: :allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

My understanding is that Google pays a lot of people very well to do the really obvious web coding.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

What would okay compensation for someone in the greater Boston area (a figgieland secondus??) with about five years of experience be? I just got the merit increase for the year and it was 8.67% :lol: bringing me to 130k ish base and I got 10k bonus. I'll start poking for a new job once I move apartments in May but I'd like to know how irritated to act at my boss in our next 1-1 :banjo:

I do like my team and our unlimited vacation is actually unlimited, but the current project is too ambitious for how thinly spread we are and I'm doing too much front end web touching instead of NLP work for my liking, despite bringing this up with my boss plenty of times

I'm in Boston as well with 10 years of experience and make $175k base + 15% bonus. They also just gave me an equity refresh of another 100k over 4 years while I'm in the middle of 2 other slightly smaller RSU cycles. TC for this year will be around $250k plus or minus the stock moving and however much our ESPP discount nets.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

My understanding is that Google pays a lot of people very well to do the really obvious web coding.

Not sure but I think part of this is to just take potential competition off the market (and starting their own companies), and also kneecap competitors by limiting the available talent market

"IQ of 170 and subject matter expert on natural language processing AI? Cool. Can you spend a year reskinng Google wave in react, then write a terraform module for it? Yes we know it's a discontinued product"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in two hundred years, bored nerds will join starfleet

five hundred years ago, they joined the clergy

today, they touch computer

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

oliveoil posted:

My previous team received various problems to solve and figured out how to approach them. There were lots of problems and nobody would have had the time to chew them all for you and hand out tasks. We had more projects than people at all times.

I suspect almost every one of our projects would have likely been considered a full product at another company.

Current arrangement is pretty lame by comparison, maybe I had an uncommon experience but it seemed like Google was a cool place to work where you could actually think about what you were doing rather than really obvious web coding.

Getting paid to solve real problems / puzzles is fun. Getting paid to do the dumb obvious coding poo poo after the problems are already solved is just mind-numbingly dull.

Starting to wonder if people only think DDIA is difficult material because they're comparing it to this stuff.

Based on my org's expectations you're getting shafted for L4 opportunities. Like, the company-wide ladder literally describes L4 expectations as making independent contributions, managing their own priorities, and participating in design. *Maybe* they are keeping it light since you are new to the team. I'd talk with your manager in your 1:1 (you are getting a 1:1 right?) and specifically bring up ladder requirements.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

oliveoil posted:

If you're working on a smaller team with a smaller scope, you can do the former (to an extent). I manage teams that we can do that, mostly it helps when the stuff we're working on isn't getting a ton of attention or tied to heaps of revenue.

If you're working on a larger team with a larger codebase then you can't really do that. Though how you guys do sprint planning sounds messed up and very waterfally.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I used to work for a Boston-based software company and I thought the salaries did a poo poo job matching the cost of living. That was a few years ago so some of it might have corrected, but I'd imagine you may do better looking at a wider geographic scope for remote jobs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

I used to work for a Boston-based software company and I thought the salaries did a poo poo job matching the cost of living. That was a few years ago so some of it might have corrected, but I'd imagine you may do better looking at a wider geographic scope for remote jobs.

There's basically nowhere in the US where a single salary is enough to live on without making some serious compromises. I don't see how that could change any time soon.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Big problem I saw in Boston was most places had comparable base comp but didn't have RSUs so the total comp is laughable.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

There's basically nowhere in the US where a single salary is enough to live on without making some serious compromises. I don't see how that could change any time soon.

That's patently false unless your definition of a serious sacrifice is having to downgrade to a lesser model of luxury car or something.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
single normal-peep salary sure. single toucher-salary, lol no

i stopped making any serious sacrifices in sfba after 150k tc. i just dont wanna buy housing because i move every like 18 months so i dont give a poo poo about that

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

There's a huge range in living expenses. Are you a single dude living in an apartment? Even in the SF Bay Area you can probably make that work on 50k/year, just not in the nicest neighborhoods, and you might need a roommate. But if you're trying to raise a family of four, you'll need substantially more, and a family of six a lot more (unless you're OK with really squeezing people in your home).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

single normal-peep salary sure. single toucher-salary, lol no

i stopped making any serious sacrifices in sfba after 150k tc. i just dont wanna buy housing because i move every like 18 months so i dont give a poo poo about that

ultrafilter means for a family, not one person supporting only themselves

my computer-touching not-faang job was enough to live on for two adults and a kid, but not enough to save on. savings slowly went down over time. now i have faang figgies and yeah wow life got easier (i do not live in the bay/LA/OC though)

if you make faang figgies then you can support a family on one income literally anywhere in the US. if you care about owning a house on top of that, you can do it almost anywhere

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Three years ago housing was pretty affordable but right now it's jumping up at 10-12% annually

Every dilapidated house near my downtown right now in my area is swarming with tradesmen renovating houses that have sat vacant for decades

I'm glad we bought in spring of 2020, I think purchasing power for SFH is about to fall through the floor after trending down the last two years

Boomers can't die fast enough

There are a bunch of 0 down mortgages available you just need to know where to look. SFFCU has a 0% down poppy loan, navy federal has one I think. USDA has one for most rural areas. A lot of smaller cities give 0% loans for 10% down payments

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Achmed Jones posted:

if you make faang figgies then you can support a family on one income literally anywhere in the US. if you care about owning a house on top of that, you can do it almost anywhere
I’m new to the thread, can someone translate “faang”?

vv thanks! vv

Artemis J Brassnuts fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 10, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
facebook amazon apple netflix google

netflix is there so it isnt a slur

also can be manga: meta apple netflix google amazon

netflix still there so it isnt... unfortunate

i say 'tech major' cuz they have finite lives. ibm was unquestionably one and now is unquestionably not one

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Netflix is in there because it originally was a term for investment and all 5 had seen huge growth.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
microsoft is not in it because faamg is way less masculine-sounding, lol (its because the term was coined when microsoft was just getting out of its doldrums)

jim cramer made it up, and you can't really air it without netflix on the telly, can you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
But netflix wouldn't deserve to be there anyway? What kind of salaries do they have? Lower than FB or Google? I thought they're up there with the best of them, but I could be wrong.