Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tree Bucket posted:

Thinking fox
Balrog wings y/n
Orc souls-?
Express train
Bombadil identity debate
(Optional) uruk-hai menu

Thinking fox: The beginning of Fellowship of the Ring starts off in a kind of more children's-fairy-tale tone, providing tonal continuity with The Hobbit. Later it gets more serious, more or less starting with the Ringwraith attack that happens soon after the Thinking Fox's appearance.

Balrog wings: no. obviously.

Orc souls: yes, probably, but little is known about the afterlives of non-elves.

Express train: modern translator/narrator replacing an idiom that wouldn't have made sense translated literally. The author and reader know what an express train is, so the effect is conveyed, even if the hobbits who witnessed it don't know what an express train is. See also the note on the Thinking Fox; this is a remnant of the early tonal shift.

Bombadil identity: maia. Though he seems too powerful to be a maia, his power is probably limited geographically.

Uruk-hai menu: see my previous post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought orcs were a kind of elf.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bombadil is older than the world and came visiting from another one or something

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Orcs are what the Ninja Turtles are based on, except orcs were originally more of a lizard.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DontMockMySmock posted:

Uruk-hai menu: see my previous post
Meat: back on it

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I thought elves were a kind of orc that just used magic to make themselves appear beautiful.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Dabir posted:

Bombadil is older than the world and came visiting from another one or something

Maia in general are older than the world. Bombadil isn't special in that regard. But also we don't really get any info about that; we just know that he was around in the Old Forest before even the Elves were awakened. The only sort of precedent we would have for a powerful spirit from outside the world is Ungoliant, but even she might just be an ordinary maia - it's not entirely clear. There's a lot of gaps with regard to Bombadil's origins and powers, for which we have scant evidence. You can invent an explanation like that if you want, but there's not really any textual evidence for it; you're just filling a gap with what you think sounds cool.

OwlFancier posted:

That is a strong candidate, but orcs' origins are unclear. They might be a kind of Man, or something else entirely.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Meat: back on it

yes :unsmigghh:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Maia in general are older than the world. Bombadil isn't special in that regard. But also we don't really get any info about that; we just know that he was around in the Old Forest before even the Elves were awakened. The only sort of precedent we would have for a powerful spirit from outside the world is Ungoliant, but even she might just be an ordinary maia - it's not entirely clear.

Tulkas was a late to the world and may not have been a part of the creation song of Arda. The foundational singers were the og Valar, but personalities show up later and sometimes get expelled. Maybe bombadil was a yarda-like from another previous planet's creation story who got in on the ground floor.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
I do love me some good LOTR theoryposting, thanks goons.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

They are in The Elder Scrolls

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Jim Henson said to himself what if Bombadill was an orc?

And he invented Kermit the frog.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tom Bombadil is a Who The gently caress Knows, Man, Have You Tried Some Of Goldberry's Pastries

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hyperlynx posted:

They are in The Elder Scrolls

Such a nasty story.

After enough vidya games stories like this all the villains start to become sympathetic and suddenly I'm playing Genshin Impact thinking, hey these mobs are just an oppressed underclass, right? There is a redemption story here!

lol, no

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

Tom Bombadil is a Who The gently caress Knows, Man, Have You Tried Some Of Goldberry's Pastries

He's basically a Lovecraftian elder being, just a different kind of horror

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

The more I look at this the more confused I get.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The mmrnmhrm that will never die, “Mexican food even in its most tame and bowdlerized form is guaranteed to give you diarrhea”

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Data Graham posted:

The mmrnmhrm that will never die, “Mexican food even in its most tame and bowdlerized form is guaranteed to give you diarrhea”

the meme is racism (not you DG, but the pooping from mexican food). its racism.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i think taco bell giving you diarrhea is a separate thing from any racist thing about mexican food. also it's objectively true.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chard posted:

the meme is racism (not you DG, but the pooping from mexican food). its racism.

how have you never eaten at the bell? how have you not experienced this? it's a known problem from specifically taco bell.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i have never had any kind of gastric distress from the bell or any hole-in-the-wall or street cart mexican food i've ever eaten in my entire life. the one time I did have food poisoning it was from a marie calendar's. it's a racist meme, always has been, and honestly it doesn't need your defense cuz its not going away anyway lol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Doing the Wakanda Forever pose in solidarity with the victims of racism who sit on the board of PepsiCo's Yum! Brands.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beans make people gassy, there's nothing racist about that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Beans make people gassy, there's nothing racist about that.

They're magical, I've heard.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Chard posted:

i have never had any kind of gastric distress from the bell or any hole-in-the-wall or street cart mexican food i've ever eaten in my entire life. the one time I did have food poisoning it was from a marie calendar's. it's a racist meme, always has been, and honestly it doesn't need your defense cuz its not going away anyway lol

Taco Bell isn’t Mexican food, regardless of how mas they ask people to live.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
SMH at the racists itt disrespecting the beautiful culture and history of the Big Bell Beefer.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

in 5th grade the height of humor was catching someone eating a tic-tac or taking medication and saying "oh is that your beano?" because farts are funny. And I thought most of the IBS jokes blamed on Mexican food were directed specifically at taco bell:

back to memes

https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1501616379585351684

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I secretly love taco bell...pure nostalgia.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

A talking coyote posted:

Taco Bell isn’t Mexican food, regardless of how mas they ask people to live.

Data Graham posted:

i don't give a gently caress if you get the spicy b-hole from eating one packet of mild, some people's diets don't have spice most of the time and that's fine. what's different is associating an entire class of ethnic food with getting the shits because of unclean food, and the conflation with taco bell TM is incidental. this is my last post about it but if you feel the need to keep this association in your mind, that's your choice.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
People who eat a lot of taco bell live mass

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Doing my duty as a conscientious white intellectual and going up to the Mexican guy at work and apologizing for making fun of Taco Bell.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

i don't give a gently caress if you get the spicy b-hole from eating one packet of mild, some people's diets don't have spice most of the time and that's fine. what's different is associating an entire class of ethnic food with getting the shits because of unclean food, and the conflation with taco bell TM is incidental. this is my last post about it but if you feel the need to keep this association in your mind, that's your choice.

stop trying to guilt people, no one gives a poo poo, you're being ridiculous. stop being like this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It can be either! There's the argument that there are no menus in Middle-earth because there are no restaurants in Middle-earth, just places like inns that serve whatever they've got, which I don't find very convincing. And then there's the argument that the Uruk-hai do not have a reason to know what a menu is because they don't know what restaurants are. Which really I also don't buy but I mean, it makes more sense.

It's hard to figure out if Middle-earth has restaurants at all, because its level of technological and cultural development doesn't seem to directly correspond to a specific time in regular-earth history.

For instance, the Rohirrim and their wooden longhouses seem to roughly correspond to 10th-century Nordic tribesmen, while the architecture of Gondor and Minas Tirith resembles perhaps 14th century continental Europe, and parts of the Shire (e.g. the types of crockery we see in the hobbits' houses) are reminiscent of 18th century England. The Elves are ageless and live a totally non-industrialized hunter-gatherer lifestyle but with anachronistically advanced wood- and metalworking technology. The Dwarves would essentially have to have been industrialized to construct something like Khazad-Dum. The Orcs live like nomadic barbarians, though admittedly we haven't seen any who weren't part of an army. Nobody except the wizards seem to know about gunpowder, the development of which is a decent delineation between the Ancient World and the beginning of the Renaissance; we see Gandalf's fireworks being treated like magic, and the Uruk-Hai have the same reverence for their bomb, which I assume Saruman made for them.

So this makes it really difficult to decide if they have restaurants. In regular-earth history, you've got public houses and inns dating back to ancient Greece, but those were your sort of communal eating situation with everyone at one table sharing the pot au feu or whatever the host was cooking that night. The first instances of what we would really recognize as a modern restaurant were in 12th-century China, but that concept -- with a menu of dishes, patrons making orders to a kitchen, and waiters serving the food -- really didn't appear in Europe until the 18th century.

I personally find it hard to believe that the Orcs, being nomadic barbarians, would have had any concept of a menu, let alone have enough experience with restaurant dining to make "back on the menu" a recognizable expression. None of the other societies are likely to have developed restaurants either -- I suppose the Dwarves and Elves could have, but the Elves somehow seem like they don't use money or really have much interest in food either, and the Dwarves are secretive and have all died out. The hobbits, being apparently the most culturally modern society in Middle-earth and also the most food-focused, seem like the people who would invent and operate restaurants. Perhaps when the orc refers to the menu, it's simply our narrator Frodo showing his cultural bias, inserting a familiar expression from the Shire to reflect the tone of the orc's hungry threat.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Mar 10, 2022

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Doing my duty as a conscientious white intellectual and going up to the Mexican guy at work and apologizing for making fun of Taco Bell.

Thank you for your kindness, you will be rewarded with a mountain dew baja blast and a Gordita as is the custom of my people.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

some plague rats posted:

stop trying to guilt people, no one gives a poo poo, you're being ridiculous. stop being like this

A lot of people are giving a lot of shits, the memes tell me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sagebrush posted:

It's hard to figure out if Middle-earth has restaurants at all, because its level of technological and cultural development doesn't seem to directly correspond to a specific time in regular-earth history.

For instance, the Rohirrim and their wooden longhouses seem to roughly correspond to 10th-century Nordic tribesmen, while the architecture of Gondor and Minas Tirith resembles perhaps 14th century continental Europe, and parts of the Shire (e.g. the types of crockery we see in the hobbits' houses) are reminiscent of 18th century England. The Elves are ageless and live a totally non-industrialized hunter-gatherer lifestyle but with anachronistically advanced wood- and metalworking technology. The Dwarves would essentially have to have been industrialized to construct something like Khazad-Dum. The Orcs live like nomadic barbarians, though admittedly we haven't seen any who weren't part of an army. Nobody except the wizards seem to know about gunpowder, the development of which is a decent delineation between the Ancient World and the beginning of the Renaissance; we see Gandalf's fireworks being treated like magic, and the Uruk-Hai have the same reverence for their bomb, which I assume Saruman made for them.

So this makes it really difficult to decide if they have restaurants. In regular-earth history, you've got public houses and inns dating back to ancient Greece, but those were your sort of communal eating situation with everyone at one table sharing the pot au feu or whatever the host was cooking that night. The first instances of what we would really recognize as a modern restaurant were in 12th-century China, but that concept -- with a menu of dishes, patrons making orders to a kitchen, and waiters serving the food -- really didn't appear in Europe until the 18th century.

I personally find it hard to believe that the Orcs, being nomadic barbarians, would have had any concept of a menu, let alone have enough experience with restaurant dining to make "back on the menu" a recognizable expression. None of the other societies are likely to have developed restaurants either -- I suppose the Dwarves and Elves could have, but the Elves somehow seem like they don't use money or really have much interest in food either, and the Dwarves are secretive and have all died out. The hobbits, being apparently the most culturally modern society in Middle-earth and also the most food-focused, seem like the people who would invent and operate restaurants. Perhaps when the orc refers to the menu, it's simply our narrator Frodo showing his cultural bias, inserting a familiar expression from the Shire to reflect the tone of the orc's hungry threat.
A menu does not require a restaurant. A menu could simply be a listing of what is being served that day. This is the soup we're having this is the main we're having take it or leave it. Prisons, schools and other institutional kitchens have menus. Friday is pizza day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

:smug: Instead of speculating on why that orc used the word "menu", I would simply ask him how he knows what a menu is.