Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Isomermaid posted:

"Yacht" is such a hosed up word to spell. Like, people just say "Yot" and the only way to make the proper spelling work is to kind of pronounce it in the back of your throat like a snarl of posh disdain - ok no, I get why it stuck.

you whacht mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

The yacht thing is so bizarre. Cheggers has made it quite clear he wants no part of it and even his Paedo brother might think it’s a bit gauche, but , no the daily Telegraph and those ruddy faced Tory backbenchers demand it so it’s happening regardless

You can guarantee that some Tory donor has already been offered the contract and a healthy kickback from it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
What have people got against Massive Yachts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Limpet mines, hopefully.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sebzilla posted:

Superyachts are old news, Global Britain needs to pioneer the world's first hyperyacht.

Just attach 4000 propellers to Isle of Wight or Isle of Man.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

happyhippy posted:

Just attach 4000 propellers to Isle of Wight or Isle of Man.

Smush them together and create WightMan Island for all your noncing needs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Manx is the perfect size and shape for Boris' Big Bangor Bridge

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
bish bash blomp, simple as

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Do not create a land bridge to the IoM, or their weirdass mutant cats will genetically mingle with the mainland population.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The royals don't really care that much about a new yacht - Brenda liked Britannia because it had happy memories for her from the days when air travel was still a bit too sketchy to risk the head of state on, but even she doesn't want a new one (and didn't want one when she was still actually capable of moving more than six feet from a doctor and a priest).

The point is that paying off Britannia was one of the first big culture war things the Tories pinned on Blair, and so they'll *constantly* be trying to replace it along with making fox hunting legal and restore the death penalty even if they don't actually give a poo poo about those actual things, it's all part of the damnatio memoriae they're trying to carry out on everything between Thatcher and Johnson.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's funny out of all the things banned between Thatcher and Johnson it's hunting with dogs they want back. They could ask for their tacticool rifles back and hunt five foxes, three badgers, and a nun in the time it took to saddle their horses and polish their trombones, but that's insufficiently barbarous for them.

The backbench tory mind is a strange and primal thing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I love yachts I'll have it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bring back yacht hunting.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Can't they just rename one of those seized oligarch yachts? They're already designed exactly for the tastes of a kleptocrat mob boss using high church kitsch to distract from being a second rate power.
you'd have her royal majesty deign to board a used yacht? how absolutely barbaric! *sniffs*

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

in the time it took to saddle their horses and polish their trombones

I think most of them do that after catching the fox.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What if we used the £250m to help Ukrainian refugees instead, just spit balling here

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TACD posted:

you'd have her royal majesty deign to board a used yacht? how absolutely barbaric! *sniffs*

She's going to snuff it before it is ready.
It's going to be for Chuck and Camilla.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The royals don't really care that much about a new yacht - Brenda liked Britannia because it had happy memories for her from the days when air travel was still a bit too sketchy to risk the head of state on, but even she doesn't want a new one (and didn't want one when she was still actually capable of moving more than six feet from a doctor and a priest).

The point is that paying off Britannia was one of the first big culture war things the Tories pinned on Blair, and so they'll *constantly* be trying to replace it along with making fox hunting legal and restore the death penalty even if they don't actually give a poo poo about those actual things, it's all part of the damnatio memoriae they're trying to carry out on everything between Thatcher and Johnson.

Apparently Britannia is an incredibly popular tourist attraction in Edinburgh. Maybe the plan is to get Britannia 2, mothball it quickly then moor it in the Thames next to HMS Belfast or wherever, so that London can get a slice of that yacht fan tourist money.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Apparently Britannia is an incredibly popular tourist attraction in Edinburgh. Maybe the plan is to get Britannia 2, mothball it quickly then moor it in the Thames next to HMS Belfast or wherever, so that London can get a slice of that yacht fan tourist money.

I went on it once. It looks and smells like a semi detached from a 1972 sitcom

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If the queen dies before the jubilee can we viking funeral her in the boat?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Even including a pink man with salt and pepper facial hair saying all the words that got cut from the DVD release?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What if we used the £250m to help Ukrainian refugees instead, just spit balling here

So that's £5m per UKR refugee the UK actually lets in?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Manx is the perfect size and shape for Boris' Big Bangor Bridge

Would love to Bung a Bob for Boris' Big Bangor Bridge Benefit Bonanza

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

If the queen dies before the jubilee can we viking funeral her in the boat?

Can this also be an option if she's not dead?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

She's going to snuff it before it is ready.
It's going to be for Chuck and Camilla.

Who also don't want it. Plus, given that Charles is in his 70s, there's a fair chance that William would be the first monarch to actually use it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just don't let Andrew sail it to Thailand...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1501889951075549187?t=H--rOHTDNPCd0ZqRClaJ4A&s=19

Can easily happen when you're old and dead.

She can get him a superyacht to make amends I suppose

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

First Bus have put their day rider prices up by 50p out of nowhere around my way; in previous years they advertised price rises a fair way in advance and not by that much, so I think they've crunched the numbers on fuel prices and promptly poo poo themselves.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1501889951075549187?t=H--rOHTDNPCd0ZqRClaJ4A&s=19

Can easily happen when you're old and dead.

She can get him a superyacht to make amends I suppose

tbf I had forgotten he even existed

On energy chat, my electricity daily standing charge has gone from zero to 50p. Love to prop up a bullshit system with the pennies of the poor

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always assumed he was just the spare in case any of the others needed a kidney or lungs.

"Double tragedy strikes for Queen as Edward suffers fatal motorcycle accident while Charles awaits liver transplant."

Nothing about this news contradicts that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

When energy prices and the cost of living are getting out of hand for many, what does the government do?

https://twitter.com/mmhpi/status/1501884270750674947

*sigh*

I could barely afford to keep my flat warm this winter, and that's WITH the £140 discount, and before the price hikes next month.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

I imagine it smells like every posh-but-unoccupied house, equal parts linseed oil, brass polish and lavender. The first two are the base for a load of pretty evocative smells - combine them with bleach instead of lavender for an old hospital, the ghost of overboiled vegetables for a school, or (and I'm aware this is pretty fringe) with dielectric grease and shellac for an old telephone exchange.

(You're probably struggling to think what linseed oil and brass polish smell like, but I *guarantee* the moment you smell them you'll instantly be catapulted back to any pre-war institutional building you had to visit as a child, even if it's just a museum or something - it's such a unique, and incredibly long-lasting, smell that it still lingers in buildings decades after the last time anyone bothered to maintain them)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

I could barely afford to keep my flat warm this winter, and that's WITH the £140 discount, and before the price hikes next month.
I am constantly amazed at how many benefits / schemes / funds there are that you have to apply for seperately, nobody tells you about, and you only ever hear about when they get cut off.

Worse, I have at least one friend who got a demand for 2 grand from the DWP last year, because they put her on ESA and she should have been claiming PIP. So instead of doing the human thing of going 'fair enough, you should have been on this and you were getting this, so we'll work out the difference,' they have instead decided to essentially zero income her for that period, start her PiP claim from now, and ask her to repay the ESA knowing full well that her PiP claim won't come through for another 6 months, if at all (her disability is one of the more complex ones that they'll likely refuse).

Hell my claim has taken about 6 months just to get to the appeal stage. If we didn't have partners who work, we'd be dead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is unforgivable that they aren't planning to build the stupid bridge from bangor to bangor tbh.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I don’t understand what the yacht would actually do.

Where does it go, does anyone go on it etc etc

How would it generate trade? Surely we have cargo ships to that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People who forgot that Britain exists will be reminded again, and then will buy products to help them forget, benefiting the spirits and pharmaceutical and solvents sectors.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

fuctifino posted:

When energy prices and the cost of living are getting out of hand for many, what does the government do?

https://twitter.com/mmhpi/status/1501884270750674947

*sigh*

I'm 100% sure they hope that by next winter one (or both) of the following will happen.

A) - Gas prices will have gone down, and the free market will have lowered consumer prices (LOL)
B) - People will have forgotten about this over the proceeding (or preceeding?) 6 months of war and Tory interparty chaos (Very likley)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I don’t understand what the yacht would actually do.

Where does it go, does anyone go on it etc etc

How would it generate trade? Surely we have cargo ships to that.

We send one our chinless oval office royals to go and do some applied waving at the savages, who will be suitably impressed and send us all their natural resources as is right and proper.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Here's I think a decent balanced analysis of the Ukraine situation which situates the whole thing as as imperialist conflict while avoiding the trap of portraying the Russians as the 'good guys'. The tldr is 'everyone's the rear end in a top hat and there will be no winners' which is bleak, but probably accurate.

https://twitter.com/MountainChen4/status/1501601688544763906?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Either they think they're going to do the perry expedition except with spare royalty instead of guns, or I think more likely, they don't think it's going to create any trade at all and they're just making things up to make it sound better than "I want a big boat for mummy"