Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

https://youtu.be/pgnF42ZoRSw

You may already have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=dishwasher+safe+keyboard

some are explicitly sold as dishwasher safe, but apparently many keyboards can be cleaned this way, assuming you can wait a week for them to dry

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

All electronics are washable, as long as you use fully distilled water. It's when the water evaporates it'll leave crud behind that can short circuit the device when it turns back on.

Hell, if you can get 100% pure H2O you could wash your electronics while still plugged in and being used, since it's not conductive.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That might work until the dirt you're washing off got into the water.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Just have to take something out of the page of the computers at mechanic's shops.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

All electronics are washable, as long as you use fully distilled water. It's when the water evaporates it'll leave crud behind that can short circuit the device when it turns back on.

Hell, if you can get 100% pure H2O you could wash your electronics while still plugged in and being used, since it's not conductive.

:science: you can follow up the water with 91%+ isopropyl alcohol to wick away the water and have that poo poo dry in minutes instead, it's a common method when cleaning old pcbs

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

This overclocker*, der8auer, uses liquid nitrogen to cool cpu/GPUs. To protect the boards from random nitrogen sputters, as supercold liquids do, he coats everything with vasoline. He then washes all boards (without cpus/heatsinks/batteries) for a couple hours in the dishwasher.

Again, no soap, no high heat, etc. You'll have to use tap water but that can be solved by letting it dry for a couple days and use distilled water to wash off any mineral deposits. Then 7 days of dry time.

Just don't use the advice of putting it in rice to dry things out. Not only will you get gummy rice but now the perfect breeding ground of all kinds of fungi/bacteria.

To keep the thread on track I saw a YouTube video about why and why you olnot should play eldar. Guy said he thought people complaining about the quality of FineCast®™🄮 we're crazy until a couple years later he saw the curvy rifles and the general flatty nature of all the models.

https://youtu.be/4GlJaRJzYlE?t=564

* him and other overclockers have deals with manufacturers even today for GPU/boards with easy measurement pin outs. Just in case someone points out the article is from 2018

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 5, 2022

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

Just don't use the advice of putting it in rice to dry things out. Not only will you get gummy rice but now the perfect breeding ground of all kinds of fungi/bacteria.

I never remember to do so; but someone recommended keeping all of those random silica gel packets you get with things you buy and using them as emergency "I got my phone wet" supplies, since they can actually do something unlike rice.

Contribution:

Battle Coo

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

I never remember to do so; but someone recommended keeping all of those random silica gel packets you get with things you buy and using them as emergency "I got my phone wet" supplies, since they can actually do something unlike rice.

I do 3d printing and have to keep filament dry all the time else it will snap at the slightest bend. I have my filament stored in a Tupperware container with a few rechargable dessication canisters. You recharge them by baking them in the oven to evaporate all the moisture out.

I also throw my wet pallete sponges in with a canister in a Ziploc because the speed wet sponges get a funky smell is amazingly fast.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

You recharge them by baking them in the oven to evaporate all the moisture out.

I didn't know that was a thing you could do! Thats good to learn

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

I do 3d printing and have to keep filament dry all the time else it will snap at the slightest bend. I have my filament stored in a Tupperware container with a few rechargable dessication canisters. You recharge them by baking them in the oven to evaporate all the moisture out.

I also throw my wet pallete sponges in with a canister in a Ziploc because the speed wet sponges get a funky smell is amazingly fast.

Oh snap, I had no idea these existed. I just keep my filament in a tupperware to try to avoid moisture, but without a desiccant it doesn't work that well.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I have all my magic cards in a big airtight container with a desiccant tub so they don't curl in storage.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

I didn't know that was a thing you could do! Thats good to learn

There a few of these kinds of devices around. I have a metal one you bake in an oven at 300 for an hour, but you can't see the gel to tell if it's dry or not, you just have to guess. I also have two that have a built in heating system so that when you plug them in to a wall outlet it warms and dries themselves.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You can buy bulk (non-reusable) desiccant from a hardware store for like $5 if you need some.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You can buy bulk (non-reusable) desiccant from a hardware store for like $5 if you need some.

Finally somewhere to get those delicious little packets in bulk! 😋😋😋

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Do not eat desiccant packets!! It's super bad for you! Safely snort them or hoop them if you're feeling frisky.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
hoop?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Up the bum.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I thought that was boofing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's a regional dialect

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

not much what's up the bum with you

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Now do not actually stick silica desiccant packages up your butt. I don't know if anybody has ever done this because I can't seem ito find it in the literature but it's probably as bad as swallowing it, for your other end

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If only there was some way to find out for sure.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Now do not actually stick silica desiccant packages up your butt. I don't know if anybody has ever done this because I can't seem ito find it in the literature but it's probably as bad as swallowing it, for your other end

Sounds like something someone who wants to keep all the silica desiccant packages for themselves would say. Let us enjoy dryass as well!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

indeed, always open the packets FIRST and then insert up the bum

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Moola posted:

indeed, always open the packets FIRST and then insert up the bum

A good funnel helps with this endeavor.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Someone with serious squits must have tried, dried and died. It's too dumb not to have happened.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remember that guy with the bathtub full of orbeez? Like that but it's your butt.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Remember that guy with the bathtub full of orbeez? Like that but it's your butt.

How am I supposed to fit an entire bathtub up my butt?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Moola posted:

How am I supposed to fit an entire bathtub up my butt?

relax

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Practice.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

And be sure to wear the ring

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Don't do it!

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

grassy gnoll posted:

Don't do it!

Just do it!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The fact that this is not called a Military Coo is an outrage.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

What, me blaspheme?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Brother Rowsdower!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Reminds me of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lvs2FzF64o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

One quick thing, submerse it in isopropyl instead. It will naturally wick away the water. (you still have to dry it, though. a week sounds right)
I have a thing I bought where you just plug it into the wall and it does this that way.