Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

KittyEmpress posted:

Just a few months ago a lot of people in the old thread were bitching about how boring map painting is and how the last bit of the game just turns into auto resolving every fight as you slowly get the territory you need to win.

Now yall are complaining that you're not required to paint huge swathes of map, and can just unite your main land (whichever that is) and be in a good place.

Pretty sure that's a problem most total war games, and strategy games in general have when you're up against a wall of AIs that can't optimize their build the way a player would. Most people played ME with the intention of not going much farther than turn 150 or so, I think it's pretty rare to actually complete those campaigns since the goals for 'winning' are insane. Taurox was a particularly bright spot for TWW2 because it was a campaign that stayed fun the whole time and also knew when to hand the player the 'you win' popup, though the player's also allowed to keep going after.

My most rewarding ME play through on a non-horde faction was eliminating the human races as Vlad and just peacing out after that, because ME was open enough to allow player to set their own objectives if they didn't want to take over literally the entire old world or whatever.

The big difference is that you will lose Realms of Chaos if you aren't dropping everything to pursue its objectives constantly. My first playthrough kicked me out after turn 155 when I didn't make it to a portal fast enough to get to the forge of souls. It's about as close to the opposite of the design philosophy that lead to the previous game being so enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

KittyEmpress posted:

Just a few months ago a lot of people in the old thread were bitching about how boring map painting is and how the last bit of the game just turns into auto resolving every fight as you slowly get the territory you need to win.

Now yall are complaining that you're not required to paint huge swathes of map, and can just unite your main land (whichever that is) and be in a good place.

map painting isn't boring, it's really fun. map painting long past the point when you've eradicated all challenge from the game is boring, which is what the victory conditions require.

the souls race is also boring, and bad, and is completely disconnected from what makes these games fun.

both of these things can be true at the same time. it is in fact possible for the replacement of something bad, to also be bad. i like that they're trying to experiment and do different things but this was clearly a big miss.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

You can change the friend/foe colours to basically anything you want in the options menu and you can turn off outlines in battle with the spacebar menu. Little things but there you go.

Anyway game stills rules. Obviously I'm looking forward to the Big Map and mods and some patches (especially the patches tbh) but I'm really enjoying the hectic pace and constant re-prioritising. I have no problem with losing every now and then in a video game.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i can add a novel one i havent seen elsewhere

loving tzeentch AI armies spam the poo poo out of storm of fire, each one of their armies has a separate cooldown, and they seem them for goddamn free while the player has to blow a ton of winds to get it. it means after a point in your campaign you either need a gimmick army made of units that dont take damage from it, or you just autoresolve vs them.

Sure have another one as well,

N'kari's charge animation starts up just a bit too early, so he never actually lands a charge attack. I played a 130-ish turn campaign and N'kari was always just like a ft. shy of ever hitting anything on the charge.

This didn't matter much though because N'kari is a melee beast otherwise, and I only put a few points into his yellow line.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I mean I can see the flaws in the Realms of Chaos campaign and still like the stuff that they added beyond that. I just want the big map so that I can safely ignore the stuff that I don't like. ME's entire appeal to me was that I didn't need to do any Vortex stuff and instead could just mash mans together for neat fights. The pure sandbox nature of it appealed to me.

I knew the WH3 campaign wasn't going to be that, and I'm fine with that. The base campaign is not why I bought the game. I bought the game for the big map, and when that eventually drops I will be playing the poo poo out of it. But criticizing the RoC mechanics isn't hating on the game, it's pointing out the issues that I see with the mechanics. That's it. The game itself is actually a lot of fun, I like the new factions and their mechanics, I just wish the RoC stuff wasn't so intrusive and so in your face. (I actually liked that I could ignore the Vortex if I wanted to.)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've got mixed feelings.

On the one hand, sending out an army to have a bunch of high-stakes fights is not an inherently bad idea. The problem with these games has always been that the campaign-map side can undermine the battle side, in that once you unlock all the cool high-tier units, you have such an economic and defensive might that you stop getting into desperate, do-or-die battles, and you never see all those cool toys pushed to their limits. So they get around this by spawning in high-level armies for you to fight, and this time you have to go get them, instead of having them spawn next to your undefended towns.

I think the problems come from the execution. The portals open just a little too often, and the penalties for having your LL away are too severe - in my Goldtooth campaign, Zhao Ming has decided to ignore the soul-race and send everything he's got into the mountains, and I've got one stack to hold him back. A lot of other people have said it, but: there really should be some reward for claiming a soul (other than "the campaign doesn't get turned off on turn 150"). It doesn't have to be huge; even just 10 turns of public order and anticorruption, like you got from the vortex rituals, to undo some of the harm from having your best forces on tour. I feel like they tried to fix this by reducing the Supply Lines penalty, and weakening the red-line skills (so a veteran general's army isn't that much better than a newly-raised one). In theory, this should make it easier to have more stacks earlier - but they also gave most of the factions pretty weak economies to begin with, which undoes most of the good.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gonkish posted:

Extra weird is that you actively get punished for going to the realms. The campaign looks at you like "Oh, you've been pursuing the objectives of the campaign? Welp, guess you gotta sit your one stack in your capital for an indeterminate amount of turns to erase all of the debuffs that you got. LOL."

I like a LOT about this game, but the campaign mechanics are not one of those things. Pretty much gonna mod the rifts out whenever the workshop opens up and forget about it, and then never touch it once the big map drops. At the same time, I don't think I'd be able to go back to WH2 right now. The diplomacy changes are amazing, the other QoL stuff is great, etc. Yes, it has issues, and yeah I'm not a huge fan of the campaign mechanics, but there's a LOT of good poo poo here, too.

Theswarms posted:

This has made it so i'm not still running my lord around with a stack of tier 1 units at the end of the game, cos they get some enforced downtime to upgrade! I would probably be happier about this if the building that boosts removal didn't take 4 goddamn turns to build.

Do other factions have lower chance of removing the traits than Skarbrand? For him it's 50% in any major settlement. I'm only missing one soul and I've gotten rid of all the traits by ending a turn in a major settlement he just captured.

Unit pathfinding/getting stuck on each other/not staying in formation whatsoever is getting really annoying. It's the worst for war hounds, since they like to decide they should form up into a column two or three wide when receiving a move command, pathing right into the enemy I tried to tell them to avoid. Plus skullcannons sometimes completely lose steering when given an order and just go straight forwards until you go to first person with them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Staltran posted:

Do other factions have lower chance of removing the traits than Skarbrand? For him it's 50% in any major settlement. I'm only missing one soul and I've gotten rid of all the traits by ending a turn in a major settlement he just captured.

Major settlement is 50%. The Skaven undercity building also adds another 50%. I'm not sure if that stacks additively or multiplicatively, and if it applies across the entire province, or just the local settlement (i.e., can you build it in a minor, stick your LL in a major, and then have a 100% chance of removing the debuff or not).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't dislike map painting, I don't do the whole map but I can certainly do it for as long as I am still fighting new stuff and expanding my economy to unlock new things, which is why I like the SFO economic balance. But even just with something like the vanilla empire you can make map painting fun, by the time you unite most of it you've probably fought the vampires, probably some elves too and orcs coming up from the south, and held off the norscans and now it's time for chaos invasions and the special per-province units add a bit of variety while the authority system means you probably don't conquer it the same way twice.

Even if pure conquest can get a little samey they made mechanics that interface well with map painting and make it more fun. They put it in every non starting faction for TW2. And then they decided to stop doing that for some loving reason and went with a completely disconnected vortex race again.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I think half the reason I'm having so much fun is I literally don't care a whole lot about completing campaigns, never much did in previous iterations, and I've got 162 hours in and have only completed the souls shebang once. I set personal goals and it keeps it fresh. I've brought everything to late game except Kislev, Tzeentch, and Slaanesh because they just don't click with me as much. If I were a streamer, yes there would be a problem. But I'm not so I can just start another campaign on a whim rather than keep going on one which maybe I'll come back to maybe I won't. The second there is a mod that removes the "race" but not the realms I'm gonna use it but I don't see any reason not to have fun right now. The game is janky, but I am not the least bit surprised. Ten minutes ago I just yelled at a soul grinder for standing and facing a rock because when we last talked he was supposed to be pursuing that fleeing stonehorn. I lost a turn 83 game completely! Just hard crashes at the start of a turn. Who cares it was the Demon Prince he's pretty boring. I also went through the statistics of every single campaign save I have and I have at least double the field battles to settlement battles so I guess I'm playing a different game than some of you.

I also managed to enjoy Cyberpunk on release and hard bounced of The Witcher who knows what the hell is even going on!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

DaysBefore posted:

You can change the friend/foe colours to basically anything you want in the options menu and you can turn off outlines in battle with the spacebar menu.

I tried tweaking those plenty. I could not figure out a combination that made me want to keep playing the game. I'd need something to change the color itself (and yes I even played with the various color blind modes), because you can turn off the horrid colors, but that just leaves you with no visible feedback on selection or orders which is just an entirely new but equally unpalatable problem.

It's the first time the battle UI has taken such a drastic step back. 3k and Troy and even Thrones were all some kind of improvement or variation, but this is just pathetically inept in so many ways.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Kazzah posted:

I've got mixed feelings.

On the one hand, sending out an army to have a bunch of high-stakes fights is not an inherently bad idea. The problem with these games has always been that the campaign-map side can undermine the battle side, in that once you unlock all the cool high-tier units, you have such an economic and defensive might that you stop getting into desperate, do-or-die battles, and you never see all those cool toys pushed to their limits. So they get around this by spawning in high-level armies for you to fight, and this time you have to go get them, instead of having them spawn next to your undefended towns.

I think the problems come from the execution. The portals open just a little too often, and the penalties for having your LL away are too severe - in my Goldtooth campaign, Zhao Ming has decided to ignore the soul-race and send everything he's got into the mountains, and I've got one stack to hold him back. A lot of other people have said it, but: there really should be some reward for claiming a soul (other than "the campaign doesn't get turned off on turn 150"). It doesn't have to be huge; even just 10 turns of public order and anticorruption, like you got from the vortex rituals, to undo some of the harm from having your best forces on tour. I feel like they tried to fix this by reducing the Supply Lines penalty, and weakening the red-line skills (so a veteran general's army isn't that much better than a newly-raised one). In theory, this should make it easier to have more stacks earlier - but they also gave most of the factions pretty weak economies to begin with, which undoes most of the good.

The RoC really would work a lot better if there was just one of every soul that gave you huge, asymmetric bonuses and supplemented the base game. Some mechanics to get Belakor for the demons and faction specific rewards for Kislev and Cathay on top would have made for a solid beginning that didn't force you to grapple with anything you weren't interested in.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Make holding souls give Kislev a reduced cost to activate rituals, or increase lord/hero recruitment, or some other minor buff. For cathay they could increase the range in which you stay in Harmony. Demons could get appropriate faction buffs as well but I haven't played enough with them to know what would be worthwhile but not ridiculous.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

KittyEmpress posted:

lol okay sure. Its definitely white and black like that and no middle ground at all.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

My favourite campaigns were the DLC ones that took place on the vortex map but didn't interact with the vortex campaign at all (vampirates especially), and it seems like they forgot all the lessons they learned from that.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Junkenstein posted:

My favourite campaigns were the DLC ones that took place on the vortex map but didn't interact with the vortex campaign at all (vampirates especially), and it seems like they forgot all the lessons they learned from that.

I mean it could be that future DLC factions like Chaos Dwarfs and the Monkey King will do exactly this (Be on the Realms of Chaos map, but not interact with the Soul race goal).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Whats the deal with the god specific demon units that have special names? Like I just fought a nurgle army with a plagberear unit named Qxcfascac Lord of Vomit. It wasn't a lord or anything, but a regular unit.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Staltran posted:

It's 50% for everyone, though you do need to roll it for every level of chaos trait you have, so if you spent too long on a realm that can be up to 3 times. Skarbrand is pretty good at blitzing through the realms and picking up less traits as a result.

Some main settlements also do not remove the trait, such as laurelorn and if you don't realise that you can waste a lot of time thinking you are being very unlucky.

Theswarms fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 10, 2022

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Whats the deal with the god specific demon units that have special names? Like I just fought a nurgle army with a plagberear unit named Qxcfascac Lord of Vomit. It wasn't a lord or anything, but a regular unit.

Was this in survival battles? If so that specific unit was leading a "reinforcement" army so therefore got a name, similar to haow garrison commander units get names.

It's super noticeable in the final battle when the AI is made up of like, 12+ armies.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Gonkish posted:

Major settlement is 50%. The Skaven undercity building also adds another 50%. I'm not sure if that stacks additively or multiplicatively, and if it applies across the entire province, or just the local settlement (i.e., can you build it in a minor, stick your LL in a major, and then have a 100% chance of removing the debuff or not).

Seemed additive in the games Ive played. It is just the local settlement however. I can’t remember a time when it took me more than one turn in a settlement that had both 50% removal chance buildings. I did park Daniel in a minor settlement for 6 turns and was pretty annoyed before I realized the effects were only a for a local settlement.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Twigand Berries posted:

I think half the reason I'm having so much fun is I literally don't care a whole lot about completing campaigns, never much did in previous iterations, and I've got 162 hours in and have only completed the souls shebang once. I set personal goals and it keeps it fresh. I've brought everything to late game except Kislev, Tzeentch, and Slaanesh because they just don't click with me as much. If I were a streamer, yes there would be a problem. But I'm not so I can just start another campaign on a whim rather than keep going on one which maybe I'll come back to maybe I won't. The second there is a mod that removes the "race" but not the realms I'm gonna use it but I don't see any reason not to have fun right now. The game is janky, but I am not the least bit surprised. Ten minutes ago I just yelled at a soul grinder for standing and facing a rock because when we last talked he was supposed to be pursuing that fleeing stonehorn. I lost a turn 83 game completely! Just hard crashes at the start of a turn. Who cares it was the Demon Prince he's pretty boring. I also went through the statistics of every single campaign save I have and I have at least double the field battles to settlement battles so I guess I'm playing a different game than some of you.

I also managed to enjoy Cyberpunk on release and hard bounced of The Witcher who knows what the hell is even going on!

sounds like toxic positivity op

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
If Kislev gets the unit tuning they so desperately need they'd probably be my favorite faction, as is my favorite is still gonna be Empire. Free Company Militia 4 Lyfe

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If Kislev gets the unit tuning they so desperately need they'd probably be my favorite faction, as is my favorite is still gonna be Empire. Free Company Militia 4 Lyfe
How so? They seem in a pretty good place.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

babypolis posted:

I think its an offshoot of the problem of the normal campaign and the soul race being disconnected from each other, which is a real issue. You really notice it late game when you realize theres actually no benefit in continuing to expand. I dont think giving bonuses for each soul would solve that problem tho

I think it should have been similar to the vortex campaign where you accumulate some resource that you then use in a ritual to get into the chaos realm of your choice, and just do away with the whole roar and rift nonsense. I kinda get what they were going for the rifts but as they stand they are nothing but a huge time sink that actively punishes you for doing what the game wants you to do

I still feel the campaign only needs minor tweaks. Give me a resource that I get from playing the normal map that I can use to open rifts in a region, and also some way to actively sabotage opponents.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I bought the game for a friend when it was on sale and the empire gameplay didnt click for him, so I got drunk and showed him the strat of spamming free company and cackling. Free company is the most underrated doomstack: it's not elite, but goddamn if it doesn't work wonders against anything the AI throws at you early to mid game. They are only going to get better against nurgle, slannesh with spear support and early game ogres.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I finished the souls race as the iron dragon last night.

If anything, I just wish the final battle telegraphed where it was going to spawn units slightly better. It just kept dropping units directly on top of my archers. It was a fun final fight, but a little frustrating losing a lot of my killing power because of the spawns.

Aside from that, I think if you could have a commandment that gave you nothing except "chaos portal suppression" so you had a better idea of where to stop them from popping up, it'd be better. poo poo's tedious as hell otherwise. I spent the last 80 or so turns making my own fun by painting the map as various stupid faction colours (I had black orks fighting next to eternal guard, kroxigors and grave guard) but the campaign was over by turn 50. I just needed to mash "end turn" 100 more times to actually end it.

Also shout out to the orks for betraying me right before the final fight so I went in with 19 units, not 20. Turns out the lended faction units leave if they break the alliance, but not if the faction gets destroyed.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Twigand Berries posted:

*gamer head shake*

people are entitled to discuss the game how they want to whatever extent is allowed by the rules about the game TWW3 in the TWW3 thread. Eventually things will smooth out and in two quarters the thread will be entirely modchat and the technicals.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is a war-wagon a technical?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kazzah posted:

technically

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is apparently an easy mod to disable the campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_fQAylkxYY

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Have they patched the supply line bug yet? Not seen anything mentioned about it but I can't believe it's still ongoing

Also, if it hasn't been posted already, there's a mod that adds a menu toggle to turn off the campaign narrative. Just a file copy and paste, no editing required.
https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/tacm52/chaos_realms_narrative_toggle/

Edit: oh come on, Torrannor please go see Nurgle for immediate punishment

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's getting patched along with a bunch of other stuff in early April. March is mostly performance improvements.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deketh posted:

Have they patched the supply line bug yet? Not seen anything mentioned about it but I can't believe it's still ongoing

Also, if it hasn't been posted already, there's a mod that adds a menu toggle to turn off the campaign narrative. Just a file copy and paste, no editing required.
https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/tacm52/chaos_realms_narrative_toggle/

Edit: oh come on, Torrannor please go see Nurgle for immediate punishment

The more they see this mod, the better :)

I don't have a lot of time now to test it out, but I will definitely try it out once I get back from work.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
They’ve only patched game-killing bugs so far, nothing for balance or quality-of-life. We’re probably getting a patch this week but I’d expect that to be similar still.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They released a news post about it today, on phone atm so can't link to it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

orangelex44 posted:

They’ve only patched game-killing bugs so far, nothing for balance or quality-of-life. We’re probably getting a patch this week but I’d expect that to be similar still.
Correct

Azran posted:

They released a news post about it today, on phone atm so can't link to it
I gotchyu fam.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I braved the forums to try and find it but i couldn't get past the "CATHAY IS SO OUT OF PLACE, JARRING AND IMMERSION BREAKING." post.

Holy poo poo. I guess Vampires, Demons and Magic were fine, but fantasy Asia? Holy poo poo. Broken game.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Kazzah posted:

you bet your boots

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I'm amazed this supply line bug will persist unfixed for so long. I suppose it doesn't matter too much to me as I can go back to all the content in WH2 I haven't touched yet but loving hell.

dogstile posted:

I braved the forums to try and find it but i couldn't get past the "CATHAY IS SO OUT OF PLACE, JARRING AND IMMERSION BREAKING." post.

Holy poo poo. I guess Vampires, Demons and Magic were fine, but fantasy Asia? Holy poo poo. Broken game.

Total War really seems to attract the dingbat crowd, TWC forums in particular should be sealed off and cast adrift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Correct

I gotchyu fam.

Thanks. Those are some good changes, but the timeframe here leaves a bit to be desired. But I think the mod will tide me over until the patch.