Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/vesti_news/status/1501839572455641090

:laffo: Russian propaganda is going for “bat coronavirus” experiments set up by America in Ukraine.

They really are just copying Qanon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1501895577818308615

sean10mm posted:

I think the lies are bad on purpose as a kind of bullying tactic. Like reality is what they say it is, no matter how stupid, and also gently caress you.

Their modus operandi with disinformation, more seriously speaking, is just quantity. Instead of one well developed narrative, they try to create a field where you have dozens of shoddy narratives. You refute one, and supporters will just whatabout you into something else.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

They really are just copying Qanon now.

Sometimes an author just can't resist dropping the pseudonym.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

His Divine Shadow posted:

This comic ruled. Favorite episodes was always those with Zafir... apparently Zorglub in english and french too. I remember it as the plan was to write coca cola on the moon though, but since his henchmen write and talk backwards the coca cola logo was mirrored or something.

edit:

Zyklotrop in German.

:allears:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Their modus operandi with disinformation, more seriously speaking, is just quantity. Instead of one well developed narrative, they try to create a field where you have dozens of shoddy narratives. You refute one, and supporters will just whatabout you into something else.

There's the thing with online scammers where they make it look bad on purpose so only gullible people will bite, thus lowering the amount of effort they have to go through with their scams. Maybe there's sort of the same thing at play here?

Not sure if that makes any sense at all lol

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I can't handle the stress so I don't visit this thread much, but have there been any developments about the supposed time this ~special operation~ will finish, or at least won't be able to continue?
I remember hearing something about 2-3 weeks at the beginning from quite a few people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vookatos posted:

I can't handle the stress so I don't visit this thread much, but have there been any developments about the supposed time this ~special operation~ will finish, or at least won't be able to continue?
I remember hearing something about 2-3 weeks at the beginning from quite a few people.

Nobody really knows but if Russian losses continue at this rate theu won't have an army left in a few more weeks.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vookatos posted:

Russia needs to get their poo poo together in the next week or so or they will effectively lose their ability to fight offensively. Their losses are quite unsustainable.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Often Abbreviated posted:

I wonder if Putin interprets these calls as signs he's moments from total victory. Like, "They're asking for peace! We're winning! Push on!".

I'm no diplomat, and maybe this would have been too much of an escalation, but I'd have preferred if our leaders would have stopped talking to Putin directly after the invasion. Just to send a signal to his inner circle that the West does not consider him a valid negotiating partner any more.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Vookatos posted:

The official line appears to be that the beatings will continue until morale improves. Also, that Russia didn’t attack anyone.

With Russian leadership being so grounded in reality, who knows.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

mrfart posted:

At the end, he launches a whole battery of rockets to the moon to draw a Z on the moon or something. But it goes wrong and writes coca cola.

Zorglub rules hard and is such a great parallel for how Putin sees himself: The only source of agency of a massive military organization. I had completely forgotten about the ubiquitous and megalomaniacal Z branding, it's just so on the nose.

IIRC, he meant to write Coca-Cola in a massive "advertisement is the ultimate form of mind control" allegory. However, since all his mind controlled drones write and speak in his own "Zorglang" language (just because he could force them to, no other reason), which is just regular writing but with letters reversed, they end up writing acoC-aloC instead, blindly following orders. The lack of agency of his troops may have been the source of his power, but ultimately you can only control so large of an organisation by yourself until you start overlooking larger and larger details, no matter how much of a genius you are.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 10, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

smax posted:

The official line appears to be that the beatings will continue until morale improves. Also, that Russia didn’t attack anyone.

With Russian leadership being so grounded in reality, who knows.

One sure thing is: The inability to face reality is incredibly detrimental to command structure. If you cannot deal with reality, you cannot command effectively, and there's the real possibility that is happening within the Russian high command.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1501895577818308615

Throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks has been a part of their MO for decades.

If anyone is interested in a deeper dive into Russian disinformation, including how its been used in Ukraine and the recent history of it, the news podcast Canadaland did a good episode on the topic this week. https://open.spotify.com/episode/7Gav00nPxYuO3qIaQF02lV?si=yTJsdOLQTq-JueaTc_dm3A&utm_source=copy-link

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Russia is gaining ground at the cost of lives and equipment, but at an exchange rate that seems really bad for them.

Any casualty numbers are a guesstimate that needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Like even if you're not trying to lie about them it's hard to get reliable numbers while a war is going on. But is sure seems Real Bad for a Russian army that's bigger and has way more heavy weapons.

They seem to be wildly underperforming their numbers on paper and the ad copy of their arms industry. They're road-bound due to the muddy season and seemingly just keep eating poo poo in ambush after ambush. They're trying to advance on multiple axes at once that are operating in isolation from each other. The Russian air force should have swamped the Ukranian air force and air defenses in a couple days but they're just sorta still there anyway. It seems like there are way to many instances of the Russians just throwing tank platoons around piecemeal with no infantry, artillery or air support and just eating poo poo.

Russia has enough stuff to win the war, but we've seen no evidence they have gotten any smarter at using it, and they seem to suck from the lowest tactical units on up to grand strategy, so I don't know where the turnaround comes from?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

His Divine Shadow posted:

This comic ruled. Favorite episodes was always those with Zafir... apparently Zorglub in english and french too. I remember it as the plan was to write coca cola on the moon though, but since his henchmen write and talk backwards the coca cola logo was mirrored or something.

edit:

Yes, they write everything backwards.
The original is in French. I read it back then in Dutch.

I still make comics for the Spirou magazine and a couple of years ago we had a special were all our characters turn communist, based on the then new Spirou album, that had a mushroom in it that turned everyone communist.
It was an interesting edition, and had some debate I think among contributing artists. Since most of them are left/far left leaning.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

alex314 posted:

It was more like "late autumn 1942". Up until Operation Uranus it was pretty common for Stalin to say "we need to strike NOW", STAVKA would look at the maps, say that units that were ment to be used in the attack are not completely deployed or organized yet, and would get "Red Army officers are cowards, and that's why foreign occupiers are still in our land, attack now". And that's how you end up with 4 Kotluban offensives...
Your timing is more accurate. Thanks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/vesti_news/status/1501839572455641090

:laffo: Russian propaganda is going for “bat coronavirus” experiments set up by America in Ukraine.

i suspect they are also hoping chuds from the US will buy into it. i think its also just spew poo poo and she what sticks.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

sean10mm posted:

Russia has enough stuff to win the war, but we've seen no evidence they have gotten any smarter at using it, and they seem to suck from the lowest tactical units on up to grand strategy, so I don't know where the turnaround comes from?

This article goes into how Russia could fix some of their logistics issues by capturing cities and setting up the rail links that are Russia's typical logistical support method.
https://mwi.usma.edu/russias-logistical-problems-may-slow-down-russias-advance-but-they-are-unlikely-to-stop-it/

However the article spends two thirds of its length describing how the Russians have and are loving up, then handwaves it away at the end with an "of course they'll capture these cities that they've shown no sign of capturing and that will fix everything". It's... unconvincing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

Your timing is more accurate. Thanks.

The only difference is I don't think the Russians are learning from their losses like Soviet World War 2 era Red Army did. Also: The losses the Red Army suffered were beyond insane, I don't think Russia of today can stomach that for a small territory like Ukraine.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Vookatos posted:

That timeline was based on the (supposed) Russian military timeline for the conquest of Ukraine, and thus supposedly that they had about 15 days of food, materiel, fuel, etc, ready to go for their battalions. Who knows if that is actually true or pro-Ukraine propaganda, but logistics have clearly been a shitshow for the Russians. They can also get more food, fuel, and materiel to their forward operations but it looks like they didn’t really plan for it since they have been requisitioning mothballed 1950s Soviet trucks to bring new supplies to the invasion forces.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
If they decide to try to freeze the conflict, dig in and hold what they've got, using massed artillery to cover themselves and otherwise bringing the tempo down as low as possible, they can probably hold on 3 to 9 months before the bottom completely drops out of the Russian economy and no one is paying or resupplying them anymore. Unless China writes them a check, then who knows.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Often Abbreviated posted:

If they decide to try to freeze the conflict, dig in and hold what they've got, using massed artillery to cover themselves and otherwise bringing the tempo down as low as possible, they can probably hold on 3 to 9 months before the bottom completely drops out of the Russian economy and no one is paying or resupplying them anymore. Unless China writes them a check, then who knows.

i mean thats what ukraine is doing basicaly. if the russians were smart they would dig in the south and fortify and wait for muddy season to stop so they can head north, but LOL.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

The only difference is I don't think the Russians are learning from their losses like Soviet World War 2 era Red Army did. Also: The losses the Red Army suffered were beyond insane, I don't think Russia of today can stomach that for a small territory like Ukraine.

exactly. also the USSR was fighting for is survival then on home turf(mostly) which is the same as the Ukranians.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean thats what ukraine is doing basicaly. if the russians were smart they would dig in the south and fortify and wait for muddy season to stop so they can head north, but LOL.

Time is against them however. Every day that passes that they don't make significant gains their economy gets worse and worse and more western arms flow into Ukraine. They needed this to be a quick strike and be done before Ukraine got their feet under them.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Screenshot because the retweet is of a column of Russian armor getting smoked by airstrikes - it looks like the northeast offensive push in Kyiv is not doing so hot

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

CeeJee posted:

This bit from Alexander Nevzorov a year ago is eerily prescient, the image of someone pretending to be a piano virtuoso and everyone buying into it until an actual piano is put under his fingers is striking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/taood7/uncanny_predictions_of_ukraines_war_from_april/

this was really prescient but one glaring error at the end, the Russian military doesn't have the fuel to get back to Moscow

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Were Ukrainian forces ever able to hit that 40 mile long convey, or is it still just kinda sitting there?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cimber posted:

Time is against them however. Every day that passes that they don't make significant gains their economy gets worse and worse and more western arms flow into Ukraine. They needed this to be a quick strike and be done before Ukraine got their feet under them.

yeah. Clausewitz hits it again.

https://twitter.com/Fritschner/status/1501779120467894272

america news crossover.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Stalin posted:

Were Ukrainian forces ever able to hit that 40 mile long convey, or is it still just kinda sitting there?

They’ve hit the area mislabelled as “a 40-mile convoy” multiple times, yea.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
The US is a net oil exporter so this doesn't really have a huge impact by itself - are other countries banning Russian oil too?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

The US is a net oil exporter so this doesn't really have a huge impact by itself - are other countries banning Russian oil too?

U.K. is saying they’ll eventually ban it - same as their other sanctions, with plenty of room for Londongrad residents to salvage anything of relevance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah its like 300k barrels a year, out of 7.5 million we import. A drop in the bucket effectively.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CommieGIR posted:

The difference is the soviets had lend-lease replacing their losses.

Putin has like the opposite of that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

UK(eventually) and japan are. europe is apperently trying to move away hard this year from it and be green and or non russian dependent by 2030. i still think its a good thing to do for the US and i am sure other sanctions are coming.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The difference is the soviets had lend-lease replacing their losses.

Putin has like the opposite of that.

Ukrainian farmers and their tractors are perfecting the art of tactical procurement of armored vehicles :eng101:

fnox
May 19, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

america news crossover.

That's...13 Republicans including some of the most far right ones, and 2 progressive democrats. Really bizarre to see.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ooof Russia struck a maternity hospital right before father negotiations. That looks really bad. The whole world is pissed! Better just sweep this under the rug and move o...
https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1501928640203923456?t=Zrun2x43M6GENRT01drprw&s=19
Lol no let's all the pregnant mom evacuating a crisis actor on our official embassy account. Please ignore the pictures of all the other moms

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

KitConstantine posted:

Ooof Russia struck a maternity hospital right before father negotiations. That looks really bad. The whole world is pissed! Better just sweep this under the rug and move o...
https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1501928640203923456?t=Zrun2x43M6GENRT01drprw&s=19
Lol no let's all the pregnant mom evacuating a crisis actor on our official embassy account. Please ignore the pictures of all the other moms

Where have I heard THAT accusation before? Hrmmm?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Wibla posted:

Ukrainian farmers and their tractors are perfecting the art of tactical procurement of armored vehicles :eng101:

Ukrainian farmers are now unofficially the 5th largest army in Europe. :utruck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The text of the bill the House just passed is here:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/6968/text

It's not very long, give it a read!

Key points:
  • The ban on energy imports hits 45 days after the act enters law; this is probably just to handle stuff in transit. Market effects of sanctions hit faster than the actual restriction.
  • The president can immediately waive the ban with a complex congressional consultation process that follows; this is so that imports can be reactivated on a dime as part of a negotiations breakthrough.
  • The Magnitsky Act language is modified to broaden the set of people upon whom sanctions can be applied. The relevant language being modified is at section 1263 here.

Despite Rep. Omar's objections, there's no actual new sanctions applied in the bill.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 10, 2022