Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Just over 2 years ago, I bought $10k in Bosch 800 appliances. Refrigerator, dual wall oven, cooktop, dishwasher.

They have been an unmitigated disaster. To add to the joy, my daughter just went to microwave something and she said there was a spark inside. It's loving dead.

gently caress Bosch.

I wouldn't buy anything other than a dishwasher from Bosch, as every time I've heard of someone buying all the Bosch things it's a story like yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

loquacius posted:

I have a toilet question (no poop water involved)

So, the flush handle on the toilet in one of our bathrooms has historically had to be jammed all the way down and then manually yanked back up for the tank to refill properly after flushing. A couple days ago we had a contractor in to give us a quote on remodeling that bathroom, and we mentioned this to him, and he said that the chain was probably just too loose, and he adjusted it for us, and as advertised, the toilet flushed a lot more easily, but when we tried it after he left, we found that the tank wasn't filling. I found upon inspection that a valve which I have since then discovered is called the flapper was stuck open. I have to, like, flick it shut with one finger, and it closes easily, and the tank refills, but no matter how loose or tight I set this loving chain I can't seem to get it to a place where the flapper just kind of closes on its own the way it should. It stays open until I close it. Is there some trick I'm missing here? Do I have to replace the flapper or what?

Sometimes you can unscrew the nut on the inside of the tank that holds the flush handle. Then turn the handle a couple degrees and retighten the nut. This changes the point at which the handle arm engages the chain and might get you that in-between setting between links.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

I have a toilet question (no poop water involved)

So, the flush handle on the toilet in one of our bathrooms has historically had to be jammed all the way down and then manually yanked back up for the tank to refill properly after flushing.

Terlit guts are a wear item. A whole new kit is like $20 or $30. They're often a first DIY job assuming the water shutoff valve works. They're generally pretty easy to do and you only need a few tools. If you have 2 toilets in your house I would totally suggest you watch a couple YouTube videos and try it out. Otherwise call the cheapest plumber you can find and have them fix it. Literally just ask "how much to replace the guts of a toilet? Oh $350? I'll let you know."

It's the only job I would recommend low bidding. If the water shutoff doesn't work then get your normal plumber in.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Terlit guts are a wear item. A whole new kit is like $20 or $30. They're often a first DIY job assuming the water shutoff valve works. They're generally pretty easy to do and you only need a few tools. If you have 2 toilets in your house I would totally suggest you watch a couple YouTube videos and try it out. Otherwise call the cheapest plumber you can find and have them fix it. Literally just ask "how much to replace the guts of a toilet? Oh $350? I'll let you know."

It's the only job I would recommend low bidding. If the water shutoff doesn't work then get your normal plumber in.

I bought the full internal replacement kit, turned off the water, and had everything back together in about an hour. I'd never seen the inside of a toilet before. It's very easy.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
One of us! One of us! One of us!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

xsf421 posted:

I bought the full internal replacement kit, turned off the water, and had everything back together in about an hour. I'd never seen the inside of a toilet before. It's very easy.

:rackem:

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

Bought a house about a month ago, I've done a few of the projects I had planned and my list of things left to do has grown significantly so it seems like I'm on the right track. Current priority is to build a baluster railing, wanted to see if anyone knew of a place to get cheap spindles online? Looking for something that would be kid sturdy.

Also related to this, any paint sprayer recommendations? I don't have a compressor but I was thinking about getting one to have for future tool capability. Just want to save myself from having to paint a bunch of spindles by hand for now but would probably use it to paint rooms and for finishing woodworking projects later if able

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

TheBeardedCrazy posted:

Also related to this, any paint sprayer recommendations? I don't have a compressor but I was thinking about getting one to have for future tool capability. Just want to save myself from having to paint a bunch of spindles by hand for now but would probably use it to paint rooms and for finishing woodworking projects later if able

For woodworking and fine finishing you would be best served with an HVLP sprayer, these usually run off of turbines as opposed to traditional compressors since they need high CFM but low pressure. I'm only versed in the professional Graco and CapSpray units which are probably way more machine and money than you need so I can't really recommend any specific HVLP units. An HVLP is definitely not what you want for painting a room though. Better option if you want more of a jack of all trades would be a small airless, the Graco Magnum sprayers are decent for homeowners and occasional use. If you use Graco's Fine Finish Low Pressure tips in a small fan and orifice size you can do some decent wood finishing with a little practice and technique, although it won't be as nice as with an HVLP.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

meatpimp posted:

Just over 2 years ago, I bought $10k in Bosch 800 appliances. Refrigerator, dual wall oven, cooktop, dishwasher.

They have been an unmitigated disaster. To add to the joy, my daughter just went to microwave something and she said there was a spark inside. It's loving dead.

gently caress Bosch.

Motronic posted:

I wouldn't buy anything other than a dishwasher from Bosch, as every time I've heard of someone buying all the Bosch things it's a story like yours.

Can't wait for my bosch 800 dishwasher APPARENTLY

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anybody have a recommendation on a simple device or idea to prevent a child's door from being slammed during temper tantrums?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You could go the future estranged parent route and just take the door off the hinges.

e: otherwise I suppose something like this would work pretty well https://www.hingeoutlet.com/product...ld-individually

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Rythe posted:

Anybody have a recommendation on a simple device or idea to prevent a child's door from being slammed during temper tantrums?

Would some foam tape or rubber gasket on the frame just thick enough to catch a fast-swinging door and decelerate it work?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Rythe posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Dreambaby-F117-Foam-Door-Stopper/dp/B001DD885W

or similar. we have some that are panda bear shaped. they work great.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rythe posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZYS215/

We use those, it prevents all latching but is trivial to remove. How old a child? It's a little different if they're 2, 5, 10, 39.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

Care to say what brand?

Beko

Dryer: HPD24412W
Washer: WMY10148C2

Never use a dryer sheet in a condensing dryer

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I paid for these doors and I'll slam them if I drat well please.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZYS215/

We use those, it prevents all latching but is trivial to remove. How old a child? It's a little different if they're 2, 5, 10, 39.

She is 9 and loves to slam the doors because she knows it drives me nuts, just looking at something that will catch the force of the door to slow it down before latching.

I was thinking the foam or rubber gasket route would stop the door from wood on wood contact too.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

I paid for these doors and I'll slam them if I drat well please.

:same:

Rythe posted:

She is 9 and loves to slam the doors because she knows it drives me nuts, just looking at something that will catch the force of the door to slow it down before latching.

I was thinking the foam or rubber gasket route would stop the door from wood on wood contact too.

At 9 it's going to be tough, that's old enough to undo anything you do depending on their ingenuity or spite levels. You might need like slow close hinges or something. Or therapy for the kid. Or therapy for you. Putting a little bit of weather stripping might help. Have you considered not letting it bother you? :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ive been trying to get a contractor to install a new front door and their quote ballooned from reasonable to not at all...so now I'm trying to think of alternatives.

My main reason for a different front door is to go from a solid panel door to one with a window so we can get some natural light in our entryway.

My house is about 7 years old and I'm not sure it needs a prehung door(which is significantly more expensive and requires redoing the trim too).

I just got a quote from contractor for the door slab with window insert is over 2200 bucks which is WAY more than I'm looking to spend...is it reasonable to DIY it and take the door down and put it in a window insert myself?

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 10, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

2200 bucks is not unreasonable for a solid wood door with a window insert. My front door was about that much. It's an 8 foot mahogany door with a decorative glass insert. drat thing is east facing and I already need to have it refinished.

Doors are expensive.

I can't recommend trying to retrofit a window inside a door not designed for the window.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

I just got a quote from contractor for the door slab with window insert is over 2200 bucks which is WAY more than I'm looking to spend...

What do you want to spend.

quote:

is it reasonable to DIY it and take the door down and put it in a window insert myself?

Almost certainly not... are you talking about putting glass in your current door yourself or are you talking about replacing the door yourself?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm not sure how much I want to spend but I know I don't want to spend 2k just for a fiberglass door slab (plus up to 1k in labor for installation).

I see on home depot dot com, ODL brand window inserts and they're in the 300-700 range which seems a lot more reasonable to me. These are specifically marketed as retrofits for solid doors.

I just want more daylight in my entryway and that's not worth 3 grand to me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm not sure how much I want to spend but I know I don't want to spend 2k just for a fiberglass door slab (plus up to 1k in labor for installation).

I see on home depot dot com, ODL brand window inserts and they're in the 300-700 range which seems a lot more reasonable to me. These are specifically marketed as retrofits for solid doors.

I just want more daylight in my entryway and that's not worth 3 grand to me.

If they have the size you need, it's a good way to go. You may need to do some router work where the hinges attach, but a few hours is well worth a $1300+ savings, imo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We paid about $2200 for a nice torrefied wooden door with window panels from Masonite with install. Beautiful solid wood door that is supposed to be very rot and water resistant due to the torrefication process.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anybody own a laser distance measuring tool? Considering the Bosch GLM50C, looks really handy just don't know if I really need one...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Anybody own a laser distance measuring tool? Considering the Bosch GLM50C, looks really handy just don't know if I really need one...

I don't, but I wish I did. And I would buy the Bosch one.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

oh good, both the water valves under my kitchen sink are old and seized

guess i'll get a plumber out for that in prep for the dishwasher install. :mad:

But I did find my main house side water cutoff. Finally. Under a foot of dirt.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 10, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sirotan posted:

I have a Bosch one; not that specific model, mine goes to ~60'. It's great, and I did not think I would use it as much as I do. I honestly got it and was planning to use it for a day's worth of measurements then return it, but I kept finding instances to use it, and, welp

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Swapping out the valves isn't very difficult. Not quite toilet internals replacement easy but still in the DIY category in my opinion.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spf3million posted:

Swapping out the valves isn't very difficult. Not quite toilet internals replacement easy but still in the DIY category in my opinion.

It escalates quickly if the pipes behind them are also old and corroded. I would suggest some outdoor plumbing work as a first step. You want to be confident you can get your water back on without flooding the house.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

H110Hawk posted:

It escalates quickly if the pipes behind them are also old and corroded. I would suggest some outdoor plumbing work as a first step. You want to be confident you can get your water back on without flooding the house.
Good point. Most of my supply pipes have nice long stubs.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Sirotan posted:

I have one of the Bosch ones. Can't remember which one, but it's quite nice to have around.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sirotan posted:

I have used them at work for the past ten years. They are reliable (up to about 75-feet) and accurate. Unless overcast, they can be tough to use outdoors on light-colored surfaces, as it can be hard to see the laser designator. I still use a tape measure occasionally (outside) but rarely

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

My new (to me) Samsung ice maker made it six months before needing another deglaciering. I sealed up the ice room so I'll see if I can make it 8 months this time. I read all the notes and documentation around it but am not quite ready to disassemble all of it (or even pull the fridge out to adjust the full line tbh) at the moment.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The plumber is taking my money to do the valves, and yes, there was corrosion and the cabinet back had to be cut and it's a huge pain that I'm glad I farmed out.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
I'm buying a home and had it inspected today. The 16 year old Carrier furnace blew air but wouldn't ignite. It blinked code 13, "limit circuit lockout". The sellers had an invoice showing that it had been serviced just last week.

I'll ask for another service, but what should I ask for in credit? I made the offer believing that it had 4+ years of life left, but I'm worried now that it's on its last legs.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My furnace will throw that code that if the filter is too restrictive, either because it's dirty or if it's a higher MERV and very very cold and the heater has to run a ton. Could be as simple as a filter swap.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

despite my skepticism, apparently best buy is delivering my bosch 800 in the next hour or so. :toot:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Large Hardon Collider posted:

I'm buying a home and had it inspected today. The 16 year old Carrier furnace blew air but wouldn't ignite. It blinked code 13, "limit circuit lockout". The sellers had an invoice showing that it had been serviced just last week.

I'll ask for another service, but what should I ask for in credit? I made the offer believing that it had 4+ years of life left, but I'm worried now that it's on its last legs.

It's not on its last legs because some service doofus screwed up. Just have them get it corrected so it works. The callback shouldn't even cost them anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I just want to share that this may be the first time in 3 houses that I got lucky and something will be easier than expected.

I have to move my bathroom vanity light about 2" left to be centered on round mirror and new vanity. I cut a hole to put a new box in but bam, the old box is on a rail!

Loosen screws, slide left. Even my cut out should be able to be used to patch old hole! Amazing.

falz fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 12, 2022