Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kirk Vikernes posted:

My bad video game opinion? I played ESO for about 10 minutes before I realized that it was basically a furry simulator.

I played World of Tanks awhile before I realized I don't wish to gently caress a tank. That's not fair , the cover base shooter style gameplay, and the background radiation of people who are super into Nazi Germany also sucked. Anyway my tanksona is an AT 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

This is one reason why I prefer MGS games to Revengeance. Despite the silliness, I find MGR to be the most cynical game in the series, at least of the ones I' know of (I avoided MGSV stuff as much as possible). I might hate MGS4 with a passion but at least Raiden had a happy ending. There is no happy ending for him as of MGR, he just has to keep killing people because that's all he can do as a former child soldier.

Kojima's message was always "no matter your circumstances, be it genetics or environment, you make your own choices and destiny." In MGS1, 2, and 4, Snake and Raiden go through a ton of poo poo in which every fiber of their being is scrutinized and attacked and everything they believe in is doubted....but they emerge from it as more whole and healthy people.

Somebody earlier said Kojima got by doing something when everybody else was doing nothing. That might be true. But he was doing something with a noble aim. His reach might exceed his grasp but oh well, at least he was trying to pass on a positive message to millions of young people.

Revengeance has a God awful plot that ducks up every returning character and the world state post 4. People unironically just wow cool cyborg it and if ore that it's a trash fire of a game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Revengeance has a God awful plot that ducks up every returning character and the world state post 4. People unironically just wow cool cyborg it and if ore that it's a trash fire of a game.

That's a bit uncharitable I think. "Wow cool cyborg" was in full effect with 4 but MGR is such a goofy-rear end game that I can easily believe people just didn't take note of its awful message.

I agree it hosed up Raiden's character. I've been criticizing that for years. But it is a legitimately entertaining game. If you turn your brain of and forget who Raiden started off as, it's great.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
losing david hayter as the voice of snake was unforgivable

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

It was the ultimate power move by Kojima, when Snake Eater was ported to the 3DS and heavily advertised with the 3D gimmick, to halfway through the game disable the 3D because Snake loses an eye and thus depth perception.

This isn't actually true at all, sadly. It's been a while since I've played the version (It's a fantastic port!), but it retains the 3D in third person and I think first person aiming always flattens the image regardless of whether Snake had lost his eye yet or not.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i never got that depth perception thing

i close one eye and put my hand over it, i can still tell how close and far things are

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MGS4 was disappointing enough that a game that completely ignored it to do their own thing worked for me really well.

Then MGSV came along and well RIP my love of the franchise. What an absolute stinker of a title.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

MGSV had the best use of combat with the worse story. I could go around forever kidnapping russians

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

Apparently Kojima just doesn't like him and wanted to work with the 24 Guy instead, I guess because he's a celebrity or something.

Coupled with MGSV just being a total disaster, I lost a lot of respect for Kojima.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

NikkolasKing posted:

Apparently Kojima just doesn't like him and wanted to work with the 24 Guy instead, I guess because he's a celebrity or something.

Coupled with MGSV just being a total disaster, I lost a lot of respect for Kojima.

:same:

gently caress Queefer Southerland. Hayter 4ever

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i actually really like MGSV. I like to shoot the russians and tie balloons to their tanks and have my dog slit a dudes throat. It's real dumb but I like it.

I'm also gonna have to agree with caesar saladin and say that Elden Ring really might be the best video game ever made.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Protagonist posted:

Other than a brief dip in PS2 Snake Eater and childhood memories of watching my bff play NES MG I hadn't played one until MGSV. I liked MGSV pretty well and didn't have all the nostalgia for the previous episodes. But hearing 24 guy voicing him was off-putting somehow.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Oh yeah and nthing the opinion Elden Ring might be the GOAT

I only played DS1 a bit (and really like such as BOTW and rear end Creed, so adjust your spectacles) but Elden Ring is pure video crack.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I still associate "Keifer" Southerland with Lost Boys & Stand By Me since the commercials for 24 might as well have been static.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I liked the MADTV spoof but never watched the Bushaganda show. I guess I'll never be a great supreme court justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb2Mf0hp268

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

roomtone posted:

i close one eye and put my hand over it, i can still tell how close and far things are

Yeah but you have to do it like a bad GBA platformer by drawing lines from objects whose position you know rather having your eyes automatically process that information for you. It's not necessarily difficult when you're sitting in a room looking around, but it gets tricky it when you don't have other objects nearby as a frame of reference. For example; try going out and tossing a ball around with one eye closed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MGSV has one of the best plots in gaming, and is one of the few that feels fully sincere. People focus on all the wrong things with it, and end up coming to these bizarre conclusions about what kojima meant or the game means.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Gaius Marius posted:

MGSV has one of the best plots in gaming, and is one of the few that feels fully sincere. People focus on all the wrong things with it, and end up coming to these bizarre conclusions about what kojima meant or the game means.

i dunno if it's totally sincere. It knows its a bit silly. I mean, I have this naked sleepy lookin sniper lady, and a dog that slits throats. And I have to keep trying to rescue the weapons expert but I keep rescuing his protege's protege, and I think that's funny.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

do you mean you respect what the story is saying, or something?

because it barely has a plot for 80% of its massive playtime, and most of what it does have is either action setpieces or exposition delivered in long audiologs you listen to while wandering around.

i don't really remember much of the details except it's kind of about child soldiers, but most of the content that was going to deal with that got cut so it just ends on a weird reveal that you haven't been playing as big boss after all, and then throws you back into the open world.

i remember that one mission on mother base when all your soldiers get infected and you have to go around putting them down, and it's a total departure from the rest of the game. it's was a highlight for me, i mean i actually remember it - but also so out of nowhere. it's like - here is scene 45 of 112, after not seeing the previous 20 scenes.

the trailer was fantastic and set up a story i really wanted to see but it isn't really in the game.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 10, 2022

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

i know i said the story knows it's silly but I really have no idea what the gently caress the story even is. I just rescued some kids and they seem kinda evil? I dont really know, I'm pretty good at following narratives told through weird means but this is all a bit beyond me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i know i said the story knows it's silly but I really have no idea what the gently caress the story even is. I just rescued some kids and they seem kinda evil? I dont really know, I'm pretty good at following narratives told through weird means but this is all a bit beyond me.

misguided

and you can't kill them

or shouldn't

it's been a while

you just have to beat the poo poo out of them with small arms

maybe balloons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oCzMrgnFjI

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What was the premise of MGSV? To see how the legend of Big Boss was formed.

Kojima specifically created a game that puts you the person playing the game in that role. You are the Big Boss of legends, every mission you do, every soldier captured, every item collected. With each step you take you the player are creating the legend of Big Boss. In many ways the viewer of the work is the true artist, without anyone to see it any work has no meaning it must be inscribed onto it by the critic. What Kojima has done is acknowledge the journey that both He as the Artist and Us as the Artee have gone on to create this work called Metal Gear Solid. People feel the game is unfinished because it is, with the curtains drawn he gives up all claims to ownership and asks us to carry on creating, each of us, our own legend of Big Boss.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
Where is the metaverse and how do I find a gf

Barudak
May 7, 2007

no_tears posted:

Where is the metaverse and how do I find a gf

By becoming one

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

By becoming one

I became a girlfriend and now I have a girlfriend, it works friends.

But not in the metaverse. There are no people in the metaverse, just abstract recreations of disappointment.

See ya in the REAL 'Verse :cool:

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Gaius Marius posted:

What was the premise of MGSV? To retcon an NES game. (The gently caress is an msx?)

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 10, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Ground Zeroes felt more traditionally Metal Gear than Phantom Cock. Like steel, concrete & rain versus desert and scrubland. But my favorite was 3 and that was in a jungle so I guess I don't know what I'm saying. I'm high.
"Huh? What was that noise?"

I will say that I think that physical game packaging kinda peaked with the PS1 jewel cases. Like I have MGS, 2, 3 & 5 downstairs and Metal Gear solid is the coolest looking box by far.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It's so weird that MSX was a microsoft thing considering how badly xbox tanked in japan

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kntfkr posted:

It's so weird that MSX was a microsoft thing considering how badly xbox tanked in japan

I keep saying it but the Xbox One wasn't the third Xbox, it was the 4th

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Msx wasn't using direct x tho

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Funny, that's how I view MGS in general.

roomtone posted:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

kntfkr posted:

star ocean second evolution for psp just came in the mail today. i'm gonna play it but need to decide who i'll play as

You play as Claude because he gets better stuff than Rena and also is just more fun to play as.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Vandar posted:

You play as Claude because he gets better stuff than Rena and also is just more fun to play as.

The ultimate weapon you get in Rena's storyline isn't quite as powerful as the one in Claude's, but it's significantly easier to get and will easily carry you through the remaining three quarters of the game. You get that thing early.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never really understood the love for MGS plot anyway, because it's silly and wild things happen? That doesn't really make something good. Silly and wild things happen in Disney shows and American Pie but no one touts them up as high art.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I started as Rena because I think I started with Claude when I played it on playstation a hundred years ago (borrowed & started but put down). I really like the world but I am not crazy about the unskippable voice acting on the PSP version.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People (me included) love metal gear solid because it was our first exposure to anime, unfortunately its actually better than actual anime so that's why no one came to mgs first and then actively wants to watch bleach or shippoden naruto 3 or whatever the gently caress all that shite is

metal gear solid 2 is not a videogame, its a barometer to find out if a videogame fan is a wanker, if they say its alright but nowhere near the best mgs then they are a good guy, if they try and claim is really meta and deep and next level and the highlight of the series, they are a wank

metal gear solid 3 is the best one, don't need to elaborate on that

metal gear solid 4 doesn't exist to me, i never owned a ps3 and its too old to play now so i dunno, ask someone else

mgs 5 is also a good barometer, if someone slavishly lavishes praise on how its got the best MGS gameplay and is a fantastic action stealth game then they are not real fans of the series and are incapable of criticism

overall metal gear solid is cool and i'd watch a metal gear movie

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
3DS snake eater is an impressive port but really hard to pick up if you haven't played in a while

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, MGSV is a lot more clever than most of its predecessors and does a good job of tying things up, mostly, but it was very much held back by trying to tell the origin story of Liquid and unfortunately most people's really dumb critiques seemed obsessed with the story of Mantis and Liquid, who probably should never have been in the game in the first place, but they want to know that their knowledge of MGS1 is valid. The 'cut content' was awful.

It had an ending that was a problem, but not the way people think. Just, go on after the credits and have a mission that serves as something of a remastered version of metal gear where you go to kill the person you just played as, or, barring that, fire up an emulator with metal gear. That'd be in keeping with where the story actually went.

Child soldiers, in the grand scheme of things, was probably not a theme that really worked in the game, and probably could've been cut as the showing of stuff that was just told before didn't work all that well.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
When i played star ocean i named my character Tee Hee and it made it seem like characters would randomly break out in girlish laughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

People like the MGS stories because the games have really good characters. Yeah, weird poo poo happens, but nobody would care if they didn't care about the characters they were happening to.

This is why people at the time were so mad about MGS2's early twist (they wanted more Solid Snake, because they really loved Solid Snake) and why MGS3 is such an effective tragedy (right from the start you know that things aren't going to end well for this lovable dork you're playing as).