Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hobbesmaster posted:

I don’t think there are actually any small crossovers/hatches with a manual in the US? Unless you’re counting the bronco?

I think if you won’t be happy with the 2.0 you won’t be happy with the 2.5 either. The power difference is surprisingly low iirc.

Nothing lifted (unless you count the old VW 4motion/Golf Wagon) but lots of good hatchbacks otherwise

both the 10th and now 11th gen Civic Sport Hatch blow the Crosstrek away. And now there’s an Integra coming if you want a more luxe interior.

There’s also the GTI/R, and the Mazda3.

The current sporty Corolla Hatch is really nice, and if op can wait/budget for a GR....

Anyway, I don’t think the Crosstrek is really all that spacious inside compared to the aforementioned hatches. It’s really more of a tall car with a bunch of cladding on it than a real CRV/RAV4/CX5 competitor. If you want that kind of space in a Subaru you should look at Outback or Forester.

The only real benefit to crosstrek vs a regular hatch IMO is the lift, if that’s something you need or desire.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

there are a gorillion better hatchbacks with a manual out there, IMO. There are also better hatchbacks (and crossovers/suvs) out there with better automatic transmissions, even some with better CVTs.

Yeah for sure. For further detail the reason why I'm considering the Crosstrek to be compelling is that it seems like it might be the best combination of "compact car that is easy to park" and "good on dirt roads." I live in Vancouver and so I want something I can parallel park without frustration, and also something I can take on forest service roads to go camping in some mild backcountry places where a crazy 4x4 isn't required, but a regular hatchback might get a tad roughed up.

Open to other ideas, but the Crosstrek seemed like (at least on paper) a good intersection of these two use cases.

I have no personal experience with one so I'm just going from reviews really.

If I was just going to get a new hatchback (which is probably my closest alternative idea that is still on the table) I'd probably get a manual Mazda 3.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

um excuse me posted:

For me the obvious signs were white smoke on start from the exhaust, and being down about a quart across 3000 miles of driving. The latter detail worried me enough to get it done. Unfortunately the PCV on the 2015+ WRX is underneath the intercooler/intake runners. I was able to get it out with just removing the intercooler. The short line from the PCV to the intake should also get replaced. Mine was very hard and inflexible. Looking at it revealed it's made of PVC according to the labeling. Service life is 40kmi.

A quart down about 3k isn't terrible, driving style dependent. The PC valve may not be the culprit though. It wouldn't hurt to replace it like you have. If it doesn't affect the consumption rate you may want to think about gaskets internal, like valve stem seals. The motor is of age for these sort of issues to start showing. Easy fix is to check the oil weekly or after long drives and top it up. Otherwise, it seems fine

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Yeah for sure. For further detail the reason why I'm considering the Crosstrek to be compelling is that it seems like it might be the best combination of "compact car that is easy to park" and "good on dirt roads." I live in Vancouver and so I want something I can parallel park without frustration, and also something I can take on forest service roads to go camping in some mild backcountry places where a crazy 4x4 isn't required, but a regular hatchback might get a tad roughed up.

Open to other ideas, but the Crosstrek seemed like (at least on paper) a good intersection of these two use cases.

If I was just going to get a new hatchback (which is probably my closest alternative idea that is still on the table) I'd probably get a manual Mazda 3.

I was futzing with my post right before you posted this. Not sure if you caught that.

I think the new Civic completely blows the Mazda out of the water.

Comedy answer: Manual Bronco 2-door, Manual Wrangler 2-door, Manual Tacoma

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Anyway, I don’t think the Crosstrek is really all that spacious inside compared to the aforementioned hatches. It’s really more of a tall car with a bunch of cladding on it than a real CRV/RAV4/CX5 competitor. If you want that kind of space in a Subaru you should look at Outback or Forester.

The only real benefit to crosstrek vs a regular hatch IMO is the lift, if that’s something you need or desire.

The lift really is really the "killer app" I guess. Ostensibly a bit of a lift is good for dirt roads, for avoiding some random rock that might damage a lower hatchback. The Outback/Forester are longer than the Crosstrek, so a tad worse for parallel parking in tight spots in the city.

AWD is also a pretty nice to have for those dirt roads and also considering that Vancouver has a pretty laissez faire approach to dealing with snow and ice when it does happen.

All these points are arguable and compromises can be made, but yeah felt like Crosstrek was the best match between some of these ideas that were floating around in my head around what I'd use the car for.

It was interesting to do more research on it and see that it seemed like there was some flaws and controversy around some things. That gave me pause and so that's why I thought it might be a good idea to make a post about it to see if there were any folks around with more direct experience and opinions.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was futzing with my post right before you posted this. Not sure if you caught that.

I think the new Civic completely blows the Mazda out of the water.
Hm that is interesting. Yeah I posted before you finished. Civic wasn't on my radar at all. Seemed like the Mazda 3 felt like a consensus hatchback fav. I'll look into that.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Comedy answer: Manual Bronco 2-door, Manual Wrangler 2-door, Manual Tacoma

Haha I actually have an old manual 2 door wrangler right now. Terrible on gas. Terrible for road trips. It actually is a surprisingly great car for city life given how small it is, but I want to do some longer trips this summer and boy they'd be crappy in the jeep.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 6, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

The lift really is really the "killer app" I guess. Ostensibly a bit of a lift is good for dirt roads, for avoiding some random rock that might damage a lower hatchback. The Outback/Forester are longer than the Crosstrek, so a tad worse for parallel parking in tight spots in the city.

AWD is also a pretty nice to have for those dirt roads and also considering that Vancouver has a pretty laissez faire approach to dealing with snow and ice when it does happen.

All these points are arguable and compromises can be made, but yeah felt like Crosstrek was the best match between some of these ideas that were floating around in my head around what I'd use the car for.

It was interesting to do more research on it and see that it seemed like there was some flaws and controversy around some things. That gave me pause and so that's why I thought it might be a good idea to make a post about it to see if there were any folks around with more direct experience and opinions.

Hm that is interesting. Yeah I posted before you finished. Civic wasn't on my radar at all. Seemed like the Mazda 3 felt like a consensus hatchback fav. I'll look into that.

Haha I actually have an old manual 2 door wrangler right now. Terrible on gas. Terrible for road trips. It actually is a surprisingly great car for city life given how small it is, but I want to do some longer trips this summer and boy they'd be crappy in the jeep.

1) any big reason you can’t hold onto the jeep for the dirt roads/local camping trips and get a “city/road car”?

2) the Mazda3 is way more upscale-feeling than the outgoing 10th Gen Civic, but the Civic’s manual drivetrain is much better. The new 11th Gen Civic pretty much fixes all of the problems with the 10th Gen’s interior, and also has an improved drivetrain. It’s arguably best-in-class until the new Corollas arrive. Also Integra.

3) WRT parallel parking and size, an Outback is definitely bigger but also I don’t think that it, or something like a RAV4/CRV/CX5/Tucson, are appreciably bigger enough to not be worth how dramatically more practical they are. Also pretty much all of those are going to have better, more enjoyable drivetrains (this is why I didn’t list Forester and Outback, although I’m pretty sure that both of those are better to drive than Crosstrek right now). A RAV4 takes up like 5% more room than a Crosstrek and is better in literally every way, and is also available as a plug-in hybrid.

4) what about one of the EV crossover/hatches that just came out? The new Hyundai/KIA twins look really sweet.

5) maybe also check out the Ford Maverick (there’s a hybrid) and Hyundai Santa Cruz? Lol at getting your hands on one though.

6) to keep this thread-specific, here’s a non-hatch idea that might kinda sorta satisfy your wants, maybe: WRX.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

I don’t think there are actually any small crossovers/hatches with a manual in the US? Unless you’re counting the bronco?

I think if you won’t be happy with the 2.0 you won’t be happy with the 2.5 either. The power difference is surprisingly low iirc.

Other than the Crosstrek mentioned there’s the Acura Integra 5 door thing and Corolla GR coming out, the Veloster, GTI, I think the Civic Si is hatch-ish?

Looking, did they stop with the regular Golf??

Edit: that’s what I get for not seeing there was a whole other page. Also I think the new Si interior is really cool looking in the pics.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Did Subaru stop making Impreza hatchbacks? It’s the same car as the crosstrek, just lower. Mine is a manual with the 2.0 and it’s fine. I’m not winning any races but it’s not like I have trouble getting up to freeway speeds or anything. On the other hand, I wouldn’t want to go down any rough dirt roads in it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

1) any big reason you can’t hold onto the jeep for the dirt roads/local camping trips and get a “city/road car”?

I def could (though finding a place to park the jeep could be annoying). That's on the table I suppose. A lot of the "local" camping trips are far enough away that you're running into the "jeeps are terrible for road trips" problem any way.

Ok Comboomer posted:

3) WRT parallel parking and size, an Outback is definitely bigger but also I don’t think that it, or something like a RAV4/CRV/CX5/Tucson, are appreciably bigger enough to not be worth how dramatically more practical they are. Also pretty much all of those are going to have better, more enjoyable drivetrains (this is why I didn’t list Forester and Outback, although I’m pretty sure that both of those are better to drive than Crosstrek right now). A RAV4 takes up like 5% more room than a Crosstrek and is better in literally every way, and is also available as a plug-in hybrid.
Huh! I posted my question about what sort of car I should buy in the Ask/Tell car buying thread and the only response I got said to consider a Rav4 so maybe I should have a deeper look at that. I actually drove a rental one of these last year. It seemed fine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

4) what about one of the EV crossover/hatches that just came out? The new Hyundai/KIA twins look really sweet.

I hadn't considered these at all, possibly because I just assumed that due to the chip shortage and high gas prices in Canada making these more interesting they're gonna be unobtanium (gas in my part of Canada is now $2/L). These might be a bit out of my price range and I barely drive so might be more of an investment than I want to make.

Anyway I don't want to take things too off topic into "what sort of car should Femtosecond buy" territory, so folks could feel free to respond to my question about what sort of car I should buy from the other thread here (or whatever just keep posting here who cares?).

On the topic of the Crosstrek the sense I'm getting from responses to my post is that the Crosstrek is not as good as the reviews suggest because 1) the 2.5L doesn't make much of a difference vs the 2.0 and it still feels underpowered and 2) the transmission is bad (why?). Is that about it?

Maybe I'll still test drive a Crosstrek but branch out and think about more options.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 6, 2022

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Funzo posted:

Did Subaru stop making Impreza hatchbacks? It’s the same car as the crosstrek, just lower. Mine is a manual with the 2.0 and it’s fine. I’m not winning any races but it’s not like I have trouble getting up to freeway speeds or anything. On the other hand, I wouldn’t want to go down any rough dirt roads in it.

They still make them. Amazingly the other night I was walking on my road and there was a Impreza and Crosstrek parked just a few cars apart and I was able to have a real good look at the two and compare them. Yep they're the same car with the Crosstrek simply being raised.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a 2018 Crosstrek and I like it, then again my previous car was a Dodge Caliber.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a 2018 Crosstrek and I like it, then again my previous car was a Dodge Caliber.

I’ve got a 2019 and it’s fine. Now that I have a dedicated parking spot I probably should have gotten an Outback just for more interior space, but when we got it we were street parking in downtown SF where the 18” length difference between them can be a deal breaker for some tight parallel parking spots.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Femtosecond posted:

Your criteria are exactly why we bought a 2018 XV (Crosstrek) last year. We do a lot of dirt road driving and liked the idea of a little extra insurance on rocky or torn up fire roads, and we didn't want a big car or something with bad fuel economy. We have the 2.0L with CVT. The manual was never in the running because Subaru won't sell you the options you want with a manual :argh: - good headlights are a dealbreaker for me so I needed the LEDs. As long as you have appropriate expectations, the motor/trans is fine. I've never had an issue passing on a two-lane road. It gets a little wheezy going up a long 8-10% grade which is pretty common in the mountains here, but gets the job done. We consistently get high-6 to low-7L/100km so low to high 30s MPG on a tank depending on city/highway driving.

I'll point out one more thing in favor of the Subaru (Subarus in general) over the CX5 or Tucson - Subarus in general have far better visibility outside of the car. It was important for me but more so for my wife who's pretty short and has trouble seeing out of some cars. Even the Outback was easier for her to see out of and drive than the CX5 or Tucson.

Overall we've been very happy with the car and wouldn't have made a different choice if we did it again. Every once in a while I wish I had a Prado or something similar, then I think about what those cost to run and I'm quite happy with the Subaru.

_Loser_
Dec 8, 2005

Gaymu for Teemu
I've got an 11 Forester and the wife just had her 2015 Crosstrek totaled at the end of the summer. Replaced it with a 21 Crosstrek sport. I kinda hated the 15 but the 21 is so much nicer to drive. Very smooth and quick enough (in S mode) under 70 that I don't really care about anything above that.

It's kind of a great size for <=4 people; And it makes my old Forester feel like the 90s shitbox it is. I'm not a fan of CVT but the difference between the 15 and the 21 is night and day.

Side note, when her 15 got totalled we got about $19k for it with around 50k miles on the clock. I think we paid like $22k 5 years prior? Lol market. I'm just glad we were able to get a replacement for sticker.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Every once in a while I see an article talking about Subaru bringing back the Baja, and I get all excited until I realize it's all just speculation with no evidence. Give me my Suba-Ute!
I want something I can go pick up lumber in that isn't a massive pickup truck.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Funzo posted:

Every once in a while I see an article talking about Subaru bringing back the Baja, and I get all excited until I realize it's all just speculation with no evidence. Give me my Suba-Ute!

But not full-length sticks of lumber, because that's way too big for a ute box.

eta: I kid, both the spouse and I really wanted Bajas as kids, and the fact that they're stupid collectors' cars now is irritating as hell even with their lovely headgaskets.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Funzo posted:

I'd post my Impreza hatchback filled with 2x4s but I don't have $500 to spend on a shitpost.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You people and needing stuff to be inside the car.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That is a valid approach but I don't trust myself to secure something on the roof rack for highway speeds. The last time I had to load pallets on the roof rack I used a betterknot and the back roads.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I had to try to fit a MicroVAX into my BRZ today and that was an exercise in frustration.

Aaaaaalmost considering taking the subwoofer out of the trunk.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Man, I just can't get excited about any upcoming Subarus anymore. Solterra, kind of, but I'm not sure what it brings to the table that other electric vehicles in its class don't deliver. I'd still be all over a manual Forester, Crosstrek, or even Impreza hatch but it looks like only the last one is a thing anymore and you can't even get freaking heated seats on the sad trim level available before they force the CVT on you. Given that the used car price craziness is likely to continue -- what with steel prices going up and half of the neon being in a country that Russia is shelling -- I may end up finally selling the Impreza, so when it comes time for the Forester to go I'll be Subaru-less for the first time since 2006.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Man, I just can't get excited about any upcoming Subarus anymore. Solterra, kind of, but I'm not sure what it brings to the table that other electric vehicles in its class don't deliver. I'd still be all over a manual Forester, Crosstrek, or even Impreza hatch but it looks like only the last one is a thing anymore and you can't even get freaking heated seats on the sad trim level available before they force the CVT on you. Given that the used car price craziness is likely to continue -- what with steel prices going up and half of the neon being in a country that Russia is shelling -- I may end up finally selling the Impreza, so when it comes time for the Forester to go I'll be Subaru-less for the first time since 2006.

get a FiST :getin:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That is a valid approach but I don't trust myself to secure something on the roof rack for highway speeds. The last time I had to load pallets on the roof rack I used a betterknot and the back roads.

The most annoying part are the straps vibrating like guitar strings. For anything larger than the photo I posted I would rent a trailer. That photo is from when I reframed my garage doors, so a decent size job, somewhere between 4-500 pounds of lumber.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

The most annoying part are the straps vibrating like guitar strings. For anything larger than the photo I posted I would rent a trailer. That photo is from when I reframed my garage doors, so a decent size job, somewhere between 4-500 pounds of lumber.

Trucker trick: give each strap a 180 turn and it won't do that nearly as much.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Aren't most roof racks only rated for 250~ pounds?

Totally get it though, I moved a couple tons of gravel with a kia soul and several trips.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
75 pounds per bar on mine lol.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Same. And I live in California, so I'm on a (fairly long) deadline. I gotta figure out how much I care about AWD vs putting up with their lovely interiors.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/mLnBTWpDUaQ

apparently what pushed them to the 86 over the BRZ was the dealership experience

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Subaru announced today that the 2021 was the last internal combustion STI and they currently aren't planning one based on the current WRX:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39413769/next-gen-subaru-wrx-sti-ev/

My 21 Limited is about to go up in price.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

Subaru announced today that the 2021 was the last internal combustion STI and they currently aren't planning one based on the current WRX:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1135114_toyota-patented-a-manual-transmission-for-electric-cars

Subaru and Toyota are like this :glomp:, but we all know that

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rolo posted:

:eyepop:
Well that's something

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I would drive a manual electric hoopdeedoo if it didn’t look anything like the current WRX.

Edit: while I’m making demands to the void make it a hatch too. No wait a wagon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pretty much cements my decision to get a GR86 rather than a BRZ when I replace my BRZ. I don't really feel like this brand offers me anything anymore.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I guess that makes sense on why the Subaru instagram kept on posting about the S209.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

I would drive a manual electric hoopdeedoo if it didn’t look anything like the current WRX.

Edit: while I’m making demands to the void make it a hatch too. No wait a wagon.

I fear Volvo would be more likely to do something like that than Subaru at this point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

net work error posted:

I guess that makes sense on why the Subaru instagram kept on posting about the S209.

lol those just skyrocketed in value

love to pay 911 money for an artisan small-batch WRX (it’s really cool and really special)

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Pretty much cements my decision to get a GR86 rather than a BRZ when I replace my BRZ. I don't really feel like this brand offers me anything anymore.

I know savagegeese had a different dealer experience, but the BRZ ordering process (when it opens up again) is 1000x easier than the shitshow people trying to get GRs are going through.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's feeling like my 2014 WRX hatch is going to be a collectors item.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol those just skyrocketed in value

love to pay 911 money for an artisan small-batch WRX (it’s really cool and really special)

I low key love the S209 spoiler. It’s my high school love of Fast and the Furious mixed with a little Need for Speed Underground 2 showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

It's feeling like my 2014 WRX hatch is going to be a collectors item.

Non old cars are apparently very collectible now so you are definitely right.