Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"open trade with us or we'll launch Andrew and Edward onto your island" is a credible threat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I don’t understand what the yacht would actually do.

Where does it go, does anyone go on it etc etc

How would it generate trade? Surely we have cargo ships to that.

you could use it as a floating hotel for dignitaries in a climate which isn’t utter poo poo 8 months of the year, and maybe class it as a place of safety for royals and politicians less likely to bugged than their hotel room / floating Tory HQ

also a repository of royal doo doo as we all know the queen isn’t allowed to leave her droppings anywhere so some nefarious baddie can clone her from her feacal dna

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Guavanaut posted:

"open trade with us or we'll launch Andrew and Edward onto your island" is a credible threat

The Royal Yacht Britannia II approaches the shore. The British demands have not been met. Brittania II does not slow, she ploughs into the beech and the prow of the ship splits like a WWII landing ship.
Inside is darkness.
Rule Britannia begins to play, and a pair of red eyes can be seen in the bowels of the ship.

The Queen has been deployed.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Is the watery bit in the middle of Northern Ireland a lake or something boring like that, or is it an actual hole on the island and a magical underground spring keeps it topped up with water from the Irish Sea?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Here's I think a decent balanced analysis of the Ukraine situation which situates the whole thing as as imperialist conflict while avoiding the trap of portraying the Russians as the 'good guys'. The tldr is 'everyone's the rear end in a top hat and there will be no winners' which is bleak, but probably accurate.

https://twitter.com/MountainChen4/status/1501601688544763906?s=19

He sounds like a right gobshite tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess instead of the golden throne you could just stuff her in a dreadnought.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Just Another Lurker posted:

He sounds like a right gobshite tbh.

Probably!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dead Goon posted:

Is the watery bit in the middle of Northern Ireland a lake or something boring like that, or is it an actual hole on the island and a magical underground spring keeps it topped up with water from the Irish Sea?

It has a poo poo load of eels in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AckvdGbk4w

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

Well... when we say ''we're taking the piss'', that's where we're taking it from.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I would personally question whether someone alleging that the Ukranians are killing their own civilians:

quote:

As some cities in Ukraine are falling with little or no opposition, others are beginning to kill civilians who try to flee. There is no "united" opposition to the Russian advance.

Is avoiding the trap of portraying the Russians as the "good guys".

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

happyhippy posted:

It has a poo poo load of eels in it.

Can we make the eels queen next

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Reveilled posted:

I would personally question whether someone alleging that the Ukranians are killing their own civilians:

Is avoiding the trap of portraying the Russians as the "good guys".

lol I missed that bit, but I can certainly see it being true given the amount of fash groups involved and the de facto conscription of adult men

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Fight, flee or die... decide.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I don’t understand what the yacht would actually do.

Where does it go, does anyone go on it etc etc

It goes to international waters, crimes take place.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Because this is Britain and we don't do corruption here, the only way the tory inner circle are getting a private yacht to play with like their friends is if they spend an enormous amount of public money on one and then go play on it

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

lol I missed that bit, but I can certainly see it being true given the amount of fash groups involved and the de facto conscription of adult men

From what I can see the account is fairly consistent in referring to the Ukranian side in this as "Ukronazis" and "The 4th Reich".
https://twitter.com/MountainChen4/status/1501739665682046979?cxt=HHwWhoC94Z6RoNcpAAAA
https://twitter.com/MountainChen4/status/1501694065586364426?cxt=HHwWlICzyfuyi9cpAAAA

I'm going to go out on a limb and consider that this tweeter's analysis of the situation is intended to be read as "this is entirely the fault of the US and their Ukranian nazi stooges". I think it's also notable that the entire thread avoids mentioning even once any degree of culpability on the part of Russia.

I do think there's an issue within Ukraine's military of fash groups, but I do not believe it is a problem unique to Ukraine, much in the same way that I do not believe the Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn was uniquely anti-semitic. It has unfortunately presented in ways that are particularly troublesome, and the difficult truth we must accept is that the Russian invasion serves to bolster their case, not to damage it, so tackling its rise should be uppermost in our mind when considering how to handle the situation post-war.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I once again reiterate that "tankie" is entirely the appropriate term for whatever flavour of rear end in a top hat you find that just wants the tanks to crush people because there is very little difference between any of them.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Reveilled posted:

From what I can see the account is fairly consistent in referring to the Ukranian side in this as "Ukronazis" and "The 4th Reich".
https://twitter.com/MountainChen4/status/1501739665682046979?cxt=HHwWhoC94Z6RoNcpAAAA
https://twitter.com/MountainChen4/status/1501694065586364426?cxt=HHwWlICzyfuyi9cpAAAA

I'm going to go out on a limb and consider that this tweeter's analysis of the situation is intended to be read as "this is entirely the fault of the US and their Ukranian nazi stooges". I think it's also notable that the entire thread avoids mentioning even once any degree of culpability on the part of Russia.

I do think there's an issue within Ukraine's military of fash groups, but I do not believe it is a problem unique to Ukraine, much in the same way that I do not believe the Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn was uniquely anti-semitic. It has unfortunately presented in ways that are particularly troublesome, and the difficult truth we must accept is that the Russian invasion serves to bolster their case, not to damage it, so tackling its rise should be uppermost in our mind when considering how to handle the situation post-war.

Yeah I really should have checked out the rest of the account. I still like the basic premise of the imperialist war angle + the relationship between capital and fascism, and I do think some westerners shout down critiques of NATO aggression as a major factor a bit too readily. But yes, Russia is definitely the invader here and anyone can see their approach to the conflict has hardly been humanitarian - hell, Putin's not exactly shy of co-operating with shady neo-nazis, and some of the more professional soldiers on his side (I'm looking at you Chechens) are outright terrifying. I'm always sad when people get close to a good point then ruin it by over-correcting in the other direction. But yes I guess that's on me, apologies. I do agree with you, and I'm genuinely a little concerned about what this is going to do to rehabilitate the far-right.

I guess the most I can say for it is I think the Ukraine conflict is a war between two competing imperialist powers each mobilising their own fascist movements where under thread, and it is going to end well for nobody but the capitalists. I just wish your classic tankie could understand that the USA may be the hegemonic imperial power, but it isn't the only one, and supporting the silver medallist shithouse faction isn't some noble moral stance.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 10, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
On that note, it appears that the Russian Federation is sidestepping sanctions by laundering their stockpile of Alex Jones scripts through their London embassy.

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1501937636771991555

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

On that note, it appears that the Russian Federation is sidestepping sanctions by laundering their stockpile of Alex Jones scripts through their London embassy.

did you know Hunter Biden owns a bioweapons lab in Eastern Ukraine that created the bat corona virus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was a schoolboy error for him to leave all the NATO stickers on his laptop.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

I mean technically all lakes are just holes that are topped up with water from *somewhere*. In Lough[1] Neagh's case it's topped up from a river and in turn tops up the Irish Sea. It's also officially the most boring major body of water in the British Isles - no monsters, no bizarre geological reason to exist, not even really weird radio-propagation effects like Lough Erne that lead to elaborate conspiracy theories about the British interfering with mobile phones and GPS.

It is apparently the hole left by a giant flinging mud at another giant in Scotland (but he missed and the mud became the Isle of Man) though, so it at least has a more interesting legend than most.

[1] yes, it's pronounced "Loch" in a way completely indistinguishable to the Anglo ear from the Scottish word, but to someone from the area they can locate your place of birth and entire schooling and religious history just from that word

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Reveilled posted:

I do think there's an issue within Ukraine's military of fash groups, but I do not believe it is a problem unique to Ukraine, much in the same way that I do not believe the Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn was uniquely anti-semitic.

loving lol at comparing a few cranks to the Azov Battalion, a part of the the Ukrainian version of the TA. That's a hoot.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
All the monsters in NI walk on land and wear sashes for easy identification

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A more accurat comparison might be just the actual british army, noted fans of jiminy crobly.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's also officially the most boring major body of water in the British Isles

I know nothing of the subject but my environmentally inclined partner assures me that it is for some reason one of the most interesting and biodiverse regions of the UK!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I really should have checked out the rest of the account. I still like the basic premise of the imperialist war angle + the relationship between capital and fascism, and I do think some westerners shout down critiques of NATO aggression as a major factor a bit too readily. But yes, Russia is definitely the invader here and anyone can see their approach to the conflict has hardly been humanitarian - hell, Putin's not exactly shy of co-operating with shady neo-nazis, and some of the more professional soldiers on his side (I'm looking at you Chechens) are outright terrifying. I'm always sad when people get close to a good point then ruin it by over-correcting in the other direction. But yes I guess that's on me, apologies. I do agree with you, and I'm genuinely a little concerned about what this is going to do to rehabilitate the far-right.

One of the real difficulties I see with critiques of NATO is that we can only know what was, and not what would have been. NATO interventions in places like Libya have been devastating for the targeted countries, but we can't know if, absent NATO, the individual countries that presently make up NATO wouldn't have just done that anyway. After all, France and the UK were quite happy to go into Suez without NATO, and the US was quite happy to build a "coalition of the willing" for Iraq when opposition from countries like France prevented NATO from acting.

But on balance, my gut says that the imperialist-minded western powers would continue to be imperialist-minded western powers even if they weren't in an official permanent alliance together, so I'm not really convinced by the notion that, say, abolishing NATO would actually fundamentally change anything for the global south, absent other much more fundamental changes in western society that would themselves neuter imperialism alone.

On the flip side, there's the actual "official" purpose of NATO which is its defensive element, and frankly, I can't really fault the various Eastern European states who had just gotten out from under the thumb of Russian imperialism for flocking to an alliance that's main pitch is "we'll protect each other from Russian Imperialism". And much like with the fascist orgs, here the invasion bolsters that argument rather than weakens it--another country which didn't get in in time, became a victim of Russian imperialism. In one fell swoop Putin has just breathed another generation of life back into NATO and weakened any attempt within the west to dismantle it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I know nothing of the subject but my environmentally inclined partner assures me that it is for some reason one of the most interesting and biodiverse regions of the UK!

Has it got a monster? Didn't think so.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The printer carrier just got blown out of the water:

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1501951871300227087

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reveilled posted:

One of the real difficulties I see with critiques of NATO is that we can only know what was, and not what would have been. NATO interventions in places like Libya have been devastating for the targeted countries, but we can't know if, absent NATO, the individual countries that presently make up NATO wouldn't have just done that anyway. After all, France and the UK were quite happy to go into Suez without NATO, and the US was quite happy to build a "coalition of the willing" for Iraq when opposition from countries like France prevented NATO from acting.

But on balance, my gut says that the imperialist-minded western powers would continue to be imperialist-minded western powers even if they weren't in an official permanent alliance together, so I'm not really convinced by the notion that, say, abolishing NATO would actually fundamentally change anything for the global south, absent other much more fundamental changes in western society that would themselves neuter imperialism alone.

On the flip side, there's the actual "official" purpose of NATO which is its defensive element, and frankly, I can't really fault the various Eastern European states who had just gotten out from under the thumb of Russian imperialism for flocking to an alliance that's main pitch is "we'll protect each other from Russian Imperialism". And much like with the fascist orgs, here the invasion bolsters that argument rather than weakens it--another country which didn't get in in time, became a victim of Russian imperialism. In one fell swoop Putin has just breathed another generation of life back into NATO and weakened any attempt within the west to dismantle it.

That would also be my interpretation, NATO is as interventionist as its constituent powers are and they are entirely capable of acting independently of the organization when the fancy takes them. The mutual defence pact is rather hard to argue against when we have a quite effective demonstration of what lack of membership gets you.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Everything that lives underwater is a monster to me, honestly. Terrifying creatures.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It is apparently the hole left by a giant flinging mud at another giant in Scotland (but he missed and the mud became the Isle of Man) though, so it at least has a more interesting legend than most.

Was that the same incident that created the Causeway or was mythical Ireland just hooching with giants determined to lob poo poo at Scotland?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's got midges. :rolleyes:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

sebzilla posted:

Was that the same incident that created the Causeway or was mythical Ireland just hooching with giants determined to lob poo poo at Scotland?

Yes, also the Isle of Staffa/Fingals Cave off the coast of Mull. Which is the other end of the giant's causeway (well technically they're separate examples of the same geological phenomenon but the legend is that the giant's were on either side throwing poo poo at each other) , and a very cool place to visit.

Also has many cute puffins.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 10, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That would also be my interpretation, NATO is as interventionist as its constituent powers are and they are entirely capable of acting independently of the organization when the fancy takes them. The mutual defence pact is rather hard to argue against when we have a quite effective demonstration of what lack of membership gets you.

I think the problem is that "NATO" has become the shorthand term for the western foreign policy/MIC blob which made sense during the Cold War and at least up until 2001 because the overlap was basically total, but as always when you use that kind of shorthand you end up effectively anthropomorphising it from an expression of the underlying phenomenon to the phenomenon itself. See also "globalists" as a term which went under an almost identical journey in the crank right as "NATO" has done in the crank left over the same period.

NATO doesn't "want" to expand any more than a Stinger missile "wants" to shoot down a low-flying Hind, what it does is an expression of what various mutants in thinktanks across the western world want to do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

large english giant with a big st george cross painted on him yelling football chants across the irish sea

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think the problem is that "NATO" has become the shorthand term for the western foreign policy/MIC blob which made sense during the Cold War and at least up until 2001 because the overlap was basically total, but as always when you use that kind of shorthand you end up effectively anthropomorphising it from an expression of the underlying phenomenon to the phenomenon itself. See also "globalists" as a term which went under an almost identical journey in the crank right as "NATO" has done in the crank left over the same period.

NATO doesn't "want" to expand any more than a Stinger missile "wants" to shoot down a low-flying Hind, what it does is an expression of what various mutants in thinktanks across the western world want to do.

Even then though the specific complaint against "expansion" just doesn't make sense, what is the alternative, that every country maintains an army big enough to fight anyone who might threaten them? An army that will never be used aggressively? A mutual defence pact seems greatly preferable to almost any alternative and surely we should want it to expand as far as possible.

Absent an external threat, most NATO countries seem to be struggling to keep up significant force commitments, which is a good thing. And if they start looking to expand military spending in the wake of the invasion I think that's pretty obviously russia's fault.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 10, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

large english giant with a big st george cross painted on him yelling football chants across the irish sea

English giants were all too busy lobbing rocks at elderly Christian missionaries to get into any inter-island fights.

(In fairness when you see poo poo like the Cheesewring the idea it was God showing off to pagan giants is actually a bit more acceptable than the idea that just boring old geological processes caused it)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

English giants were all too busy lobbing rocks at elderly Christian missionaries to get into any inter-island fights.

(In fairness when you see poo poo like the Cheesewring the idea it was God showing off to pagan giants is actually a bit more acceptable than the idea that just boring old geological processes caused it)

I like that they included the quote from apparently anglo hp lovecraft who is having conniptions about weird rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Yes, also the Isle of Staffa/Fingals Cave off the coast of Mull. Which is the other end of the giant's causeway (well technically they're separate examples of the same geological phenomenon but the legend is that the giant's were on either side throwing poo poo at each other) , and a very cool place to visit.

Also has many cute puffins.

Oh man I went to Mull/Iona and we were going to get the boat out from Fionnphort to see Staffa but ended up not having time. I'm really disappointed, would have been very cool to see. Lovely bit of the country in general though, on a good hot summer day the water around the Hebrides is often crystal clear as if you were on some tropical island.