Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Concerned Citizen posted:

think it is probably starting to dawn on the russians that they aren't going to be able to capture the cities without taking unacceptable losses. i am guessing at this point they just shell them to keep pressure on ukraine to sign a more favorable deal

See, you would think a country famous for fighting Nazis would remember those tactics don't work.

All terror bombing/ purposely shelling civilians does is make them loving hate you. Morale is not dropping in Ukraine: it rises by the minute because now they just want revenge on your dumb, sick gently caress warcriming rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Duginism is dumb because it believes in a national soul, and because it believes in a national soul it believes that Ukrainians are Russian in some intangible soulish way. Half-baked mystic ethnonationalism.

You could wrote a book about how dumb Duginism is, and it would be bigger than Dugin's book. He thinks Finland belongs in Russia and Estonia as part of Germany. The last is a major WTF when reading summaries of that insane 'ideology'. Some of this sounds like it was written by a drunk Russian who got lost in time and space - ending up in a Munich beerhall during the Weimar republic. It's not just the ideology of that time - it's the demographics and geopolitics as well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TulliusCicero posted:

See, you would think a country famous for fighting Nazis would remember those tactics don't work.

All terror bombing/ purposely shelling civilians does is make them loving hate you. Morale is not dropping in Ukraine: it rises by the minute becaus now they just want revenge on your dumb, sick gently caress warcriming rear end
You don't understand, "Nazi" means "anti-Russian," how could a Russian force be Nazis, or comparable? It's a contradiction in terms. *in the background a rocket barrage hits a children's hospital*

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

"You get an antitank weapon! YOU get an antitank weapon! EVERYONE GETS ANTITANK WEAPONS!!!"
https://twitter.com/historicfirearm/status/1501970372232630272?t=ursIS5S9X6DMQjDJCEwU-w&s=19
:pervert:
There's video of this, but I chose the thread with stills. @osinttechnical on Twitter has it on his feed.

Are those all different antitank weapons? Do they serve similar purposes or not? I know Ukraine got a ton of different stuff from different countries but I would think giving a squad the same stuff would make more sense so that if you lose Panzerfaust A you can still fire Panzerfaust ammo from Panzerfaust B. But maybe I'm missing something?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Griefor posted:

Are those all different antitank weapons? Do they serve similar purposes or not? I know Ukraine got a ton of different stuff from different countries but I would think giving a squad the same stuff would make more sense so that if you lose Panzerfaust A you can still fire Panzerfaust ammo from Panzerfaust B. But maybe I'm missing something?

There's some slight variation in terms of mission profile: better at aircraft, doesn't cause backblast, don't need all your fingers etc etc but mostly it is a hodgepodge of equipment. The hilarity is how many there are: usually you'd have one to a formation like this period.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1501938378878558220?s=20&t=D6Z2RrBIh1BZBC6TfFZi1Q

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Griefor posted:

Panzerfausts don't get reloaded, you just drop the tube after you fire. That's typical of most modern anti-tank infantry equipment.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Concerned Citizen posted:

think it is probably starting to dawn on the russians that they aren't going to be able to capture the cities without taking unacceptable losses. i am guessing at this point they just shell them to keep pressure on ukraine to sign a more favorable deal

Going by Sumy, Mariupol and Chernihiv they're not trying to storm cities anymore, just cutting off their supply routes and then shelling them until they collapse. Brutal as it is, Mauripol's had no power, heat or water for days now and a Ukranian MP says they'll run out of food next week. The Russian's shoot anyone who tries to leave and any humanitarian corridors immediately collapse, they seem entirely set on starving cities out.

Griefor posted:

That'd be the ideal but they're just using what they got.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Griefor posted:

Yeah if you have them in sufficient quantities. Right now theyre just handing out whatever they are getting from the west immediately to units on the field.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the most logical plan when this whole thing started was to slide into kyiv asap to kill, capture, or run off the ukrainian government and replace it with a puppet regime that would agree to russian demands, most likely formal control over luhansk/donbass and decentralization of ukraine to make it easier to peel off oblasts later as necessary. there were a lot of upsides to russia, from more profit capture over the energy trade to europe to a pliable client state and permanent banishment of NATO

all that is out the window now because the longer ukraine resists, the better their bargaining position becomes, and russia's only recourse now is to be so insanely violent towards civilians that ukraine is compelled to end the war on humanitarian reasons

I mean yeah? But the first plan was also some loving spec ops wankfest bullshit

They have never had a good plan at all, ever in this whole thing. And shelling civilians in a country with near military parity ( if not in some ways superior to you) does not work. You just increase resistance.

Like I legitimately don't understand what the Russian plan is moving forward or why they are even there anymore. The invasion failed dipshits, go home and try to save your shambling economy.

Just a great lesson in why letting an egomaniac run a country/ war is a terrible idea.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russian Embassy in the UK got their monstrous tweets taken down
https://twitter.com/JamesClayton5/status/1501964035109289985?t=ygh3ak4EyS6xlICW3BKpiQ&s=19
Can't wait to see how they'll whine about it

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

gently caress, they are planning to attack other countries

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If the likes of Solovyov are saying that it might be time to pack the bags, poo poo is getting quite dire domestically.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Griefor posted:

its a real grab bag of different AT launchers and systems. they all do the same thing, launching rockets small enough to carry but big enough to blow up a tank or knock a wall off a house. in general you want everyone in your team to be carrying interoperable weapons that share ammunition. the key difference here is that ukraine is in an existential fight and they're getting all kinds of different AT launchers flown in daily from all corners of europe and beyond, so they're pushing all of that forward to the front

its nearly comical to see the sheer amount of AT weapons these dudes are carrying, as well as the variety. like holy poo poo these guys are extremely heavily armed with a real clown car of rockets

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

There is a certain amount of irony in this Neo-Soviet revanchism. To wit: the attempted use of the kind of racial and nationalist divisions that contributed to the loosening of regional power within the Soviet Union (which hastened it's demise) being trotted out again to reverse the situation.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Russian Embassy in the UK got their monstrous tweets taken down
https://twitter.com/JamesClayton5/status/1501964035109289985?t=ygh3ak4EyS6xlICW3BKpiQ&s=19
Can't wait to see how they'll whine about it

I think we need to learn from the Irish and engage in some creative use of delivery vans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Griefor posted:

While uniformity would simply things for operation interchangeability, almost all of those are single-use so trading ammo isn't a concern there.

As pointed out the funny bit is having so much AT for a single infantry unit.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

KitConstantine posted:

Maybe some is in this loving TANK FACTORY thats still standing even after Russians have been bombing the city for DAYS
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1501962332603363330?t=_Sv2rXx8t3dGPLoxKX8qWg&s=19

To me not only does this say that Russia is going after civilian targets with no military value, but they are actually prioritizing such targets over actual military targets whose destruction would help them win the war. For fucks sake.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 10, 2022

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

TulliusCicero posted:

So..what exactly is the Russian endgame here?

"Drop VDV watch them die, fail to resupply our troops, bomb and shell cities and only harden resistance, get picked off by drones, faff about until we run out of gas and freeze to death"?

Like, what is the actual strategy for even capturing one of these major cities, and then occupying it, let alone the whole loving country

There is none, if this is authentic. Repost, but really worth reading.
https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1500301348780199937

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

KitConstantine posted:

Cracks continue, this time on Kremlin TV
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1501953203029618689?t=svOQPm9k6-_wC0lnYBpBPw&s=19
It's a really good read, p much a transcript of a hypernationalist TV host forcibly encountering reality via his more realistic guests
Article: https://www.thedailybeast.com/even-russias-state-tv-admits-ukraine-disaster-has-putin-in-trouble

Thankfully Tucker Carlson provided some solace

This is Putin laying ground for withdrawal in the most democratic manner.

The man hears the call of his people and saves the motherland from disaster.

USA is the enemy, and a mighty one. (Nice to have). It can be blamed for many things.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If the likes of Solovyov are saying that it might be time to pack the bags, poo poo is getting quite dire domestically.

Wasn't he the guy who cried about his Italian villa getting nabbed?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Morrow posted:

There's some slight variation in terms of mission profile: better at aircraft, doesn't cause backblast, don't need all your fingers etc etc but mostly it is a hodgepodge of equipment. The hilarity is how many there are: usually you'd have one to a formation like this period.

What I think is remarkable is that all that kit represents the wide variety of materiel that everyone said they would send, and did send, swiftly. No silly squabling, no French and German head-butting - they just did it. And that this stuff is already in the field so quickly probably says a lot about how robust and effective the interior supply chain is. A "whole of Europe" response wasn't predicted by anyone.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Letmebefrank posted:

"Yet you are here trying to negotiate the surrender of Ukraine for some reason. You seem very smart."

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Letmebefrank posted:

honestly, it would be better off just agreeing with them so they can withdraw and not have it categorized as a loss. we don't need influencers mocking a nuclear power's retreat from a failed invasion.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

Griefor posted:

Those weapons have varying capabilities.
If there is a lightly armored target like a bmp not so far away from you, you don't want to waste expensive long range weapons like javelins.
An old RPG-7 would serve better.

Also if I remember correctly from the Panzerfaust 3 manual, it recommends using it for about 3 times before switching to another optics/trigger unit because it will mess up with optics alignment or something.

and some anti tank systems are single use.

Flagellum fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 10, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:myballs:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antillie posted:

To me. Not only does this say that Russia is going after civilian targets with no military value, but they are actually prioritizing such targets over actual military targets whose destruction would help them win the war. For fucks sake.

Looking at the anecdotal evidence of the state of Russian armour, they might be interested in capturing a pristine tank factory.

Conspiratiorist posted:

While uniformity would simply things for operation interchangeability, almost all of those are single-use so trading ammo isn't a concern there.

I wonder if this is going to cause a more global infantry paradigm shift, where more units will be loaded up the wazoo with bang bangs.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

PederP posted:

You could wrote a book about how dumb Duginism is, and it would be bigger than Dugin's book. He thinks Finland belongs in Russia and Estonia as part of Germany. The last is a major WTF when reading summaries of that insane 'ideology'. Some of this sounds like it was written by a drunk Russian who got lost in time and space - ending up in a Munich beerhall during the Weimar republic. It's not just the ideology of that time - it's the demographics and geopolitics as well.

Prior to Covid I had read Putin as more or less rational, if he was this current Ukraine fiasco makes zero sense. It makes total sense from a Duginist perspective, Dugin is the same guy who thinks America will neatly balkanize along state lines. Just utterly trapped by thinking from a century ago.
e: if people want to read Dugin's stuff some of it has been translated and it will do a reasonable job of letting you know where the leader of the paper bear is coming from
though it's totally understandable if no one does, the man is a crank in any language

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 10, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Speaks to the kind of war they are fighting though - they are off on a patrol to go tank hunting, they don't expect to be getting into a firefight with infantry.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Wasn't he the guy who cried about his Italian villa getting nabbed?

He was indeed, crying about his multiple luxury villas with neighbours like George Clooney.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Letmebefrank posted:

Russia isnt attacking anyone. They sent troops to Ukraine to stop the war that's happening there, once the conflict resolution mission is finished they will bring the troops home

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah a lot of these tweets are kind of mind-blowing in the "why in the world would you even post this on social media???" sense.

Not too familiar with drones, but that Bayraktar tweet above, the comments suggest that it's 6km from the target. How easily do these get shot down? Can infantry AA take them out? It just seems like it's shooting fish in a barrel.

I don't believe manpads can hit out that far but vehicle mounted AA should be able to. Of course the russians seem to prefer parking their AA systems in ditches and leaving them there while the tanks proceed alone for some reason. The other problem is that between being somewhat stealth shaped and just being very small drones are hard to pick up on all but the latest and best radar systems. It seems to me that russian radar gear might not be as good as we thought.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I feel like it's pretty easy to tell whether Russia is serious about any negotiations based on whether they include the sanctions in the conversation. There's no way the end of this war is just between Russia and Ukraine with Russia walking away with all the sanctions still in place.

Until they do that, they're still pretending the sanctions don't matter and the whole thing is just theatre.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Antillie posted:

To me. Not only does this say that Russia is going after civilian targets with no military value, but they are actually prioritizing such targets over actual military targets whose destruction would help them win the war. For fucks sake.
Presumably after successful conquest Putin would like to be able to use the tank factory to replenish losses? Sort of a situation like when someone (can't remember who?) seized the Czech tank works.

Who cares about a maternity hospital? That only produces more Ukrainians.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mnoba posted:

honestly, it would be better off just agreeing with them so they can withdraw and not have it categorized as a loss. we don't need influencers mocking a nuclear power's retreat from a failed invasion.

Russia's war is not going to stop because of memes, no matter how dank they are.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

Prior to Covid I had read Putin as more or less rational, if he was this current Ukraine fiasco makes zero sense. It makes total sense from a Duginist perspective, Dugin is the same guy who thinks America will neatly balkanize along state lines. Just utterly trapped by thinking from a century ago.
e: if people want to read Dugin's stuff some of it has been translated and it will do a reasonable job of letting you know where the leader of the paper bear is coming from
though it's totally understandable if no one does, the man is a crank in any language

I want to read some of that other guy which Fatherboxx mentioned, but I don’t remember his name. Also it’s probably way too deranged to stomach more than a few pages on.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

I mean yeah? But the first plan was also some loving spec ops wankfest bullshit

They have never had a good plan at all, ever in this whole thing. And shelling civilians in a country with near military parity ( if not in some ways superior to you) does not work. You just increase resistance.

Like I legitimately don't understand what the Russian plan is moving forward or why they are even there anymore. The invasion failed dipshits, go home and try to save your shambling economy.

Just a great lesson in why letting an egomaniac run a country/ war is a terrible idea.

Option A) Putin still thinks he can win because he's being fed bad information and he is an old crazy guy.
Option B) Putin knows he has lost, but running away now has a bigger risk of being Gaddafied, than staying and just slowly failing while tightening his strangehold on Russia
Option C) Putin is hoping Ukraine will give in and sue for peace giving him Donbass, Crimea and no NATO, before they kick his army out of the country
Option D) Putin is fishing for NATO intervention since it gives him a smorgasbord of ways to lose in a less humiliating fashion than failing at the other options

If he can get Donbass, Crimea and a smattering of propaganda victories, while getting the totalitarian machinery up and running - I think that's acceptable to him. He probably expects sanctions to be almost gone after a few years of such a peace accord.

Simply going home right now and he would be humiliated, have nothing to push back on sanctions and his totalitarian machinery isn't fully rolled out yet. He'd also have a bitter military looking for a scapegoat.

No, he's stuck there until he can get a peace deal, has conquered the ruins or gets kicked out. Western leaders are openly stating they believe he's going for make-or-break. Sadly, I think it's putsch or a military make-or-break. I really hope for the putsch - and I think it's coming based on the cracks already showing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Griefor posted:

Most modern antitank weapons are single-shot. The RPG-7 and Panzerfaust 3 are reloadable, but other common weapons like NLAW, AT-4 etc are one-and-done. The Spanish C90s are the same way.

It helps to have similar weapons across a formation, less so for ammunition commonality and more so for ease of use. The things are similar but have different sights, orders of operations etc. Getting everyone familiar with a bunch of different weapons types is trickier.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

the popes toes posted:

High-level official Lithuanian trolling. It's like someone slapping a new avatar on you, but 10 bucks ain't going to cut it.
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1501952801995247620?cxt=HHwWiMCihbSHgdgpAAAA

Washington DC has done something similar: https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/status/1500557346321412096

I like the sunflower in the top of the traffic cone. Dedicated trolling right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
He's a junior field grade officer. He'd be the equivalent of an S-2 in a mechanized bridge or armored cavalry regiment. So a professional soldier, probably with 10-15 years of experience, but hardly senior in the context of this war. A regiment is (very) roughly 2-4 Battalion Tactical Groups in size, out of ~120 in theatre.

(Speaking of which: does anyone have the latest/most accurate estimate for the number of BTGs Russia committed at the outset?)

Here's a quick analysis of that Russian armored formation NE of Kiev which got hit by artillery. Still picture, no visible human casualties but you can see where the artillery landed.

:nws:https://twitter.com/HoansSolo/status/1501885056310259714?s=20&t=WbUQu6O39FpTDh4IWSa5Tw:nws:

That's an entire Battalion Tactical Group concentrated in a 200m x 200m square. Absolutely crazy.