Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Goddamn Shadowbringers' final area is cool as hell

then you get to the city and it's like whoa :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Goddamn Shadowbringers' final area is cool as hell

then you get to the city and it's like whoa :eyepop:

Im at the same part and I agree. real cool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hit the credits in base Shadowbringers.

Final Fantasy XIV is good. :unsmith:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Heavensward LP dares to ask the hard questions, like just how much Moogle one Catgirl can tolerate

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

finally load into the 87 dungeon after a half-hour wait (lol dps queues), notice in the first pull that the tank is getting mighty low on hp and looks like they had to panic smash that invuln button but whatever we make it thru. second pull we wipe and ask the healer if they want to do small pulls to which the healer replies "that was just a bad situation"(?)

so we do the pull again and even tho half the mobs are already dead from the first go-round the tank falls over again. tank tells the healer that dps-ing is fine and all but they do actually need to press a heal every now and then. healer responds by asking why they didn't use any mitigation (they were, we could all see it in the party list)

so we kick the healer, complete the pull, and go on to clear the first boss without a healer at all which goes perfectly fine

new healer loads in, immediately says "sorry yall i'm high as gently caress", and we go on to smash thru the rest of the dungeon at full tilt

some people just bad at the game :shrug:

(they weren't even doing decent dps either they just straight up weren't pressing buttons)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also had someone ask if they could upload my techno-samurai glam to zoomer tiktok. what a night

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I was tanking the level 87 dungeon for the first time last night to level up my WAR, and after the first pack, the healer lets me know its ok to do bigger pulls. Unfortunately, I've only done it once as a healer before so I don't actually know which packs I can grab together and where all the stopping places are. For example I see a pack of trash, with a long empty hallway behind them and just stop at that pack. And then after we kill that, more guys spawn that I could have grabbed. So I tell the group its my first time tanking it and if they wanna pull some more trash for me, I won't get mad, which was met with general amusement. Worked out fine though, the BRD even called out "incoming!" while running back with some more guys I could have pulled. I felt a little under-geared, but since I'm a WAR, between Bloodwhetting and Holmgang I'm literally invulnerable for a decent chunk of time.

I have noticed that the gear scaling seems much more gentle than in past expansions. in shadowbringers and stormblood, if you were still rocking tomestone gear at x6 x7, you'd get splattered pretty quick. Like when you see a tank wearing level 60 tomestone gear in Bardam's Mettle you know you're in for a bad time. My war was 87 then, and I noticed I hadn't upgraded from any of my ~530 gear from shadowbringers, so I found a level 86 gear vendor and bought a set of white gear... which turned out to be worse than everything I was wearing. I even had a 510 Bozja piece that outclassed level 86 vendor gear with 5 empty sockets! I did get 1 drop from the 87 dungeon that was a pretty large upgrade from what I was wearing, but yeah, gear seems to last longer than it did in the past.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

dungeon drops start getting better at X5. hq white gear around the same or maybe a little later; honestly hardly pay it any attention other than slapping it on if the msq gives it to me

nq white gear/vendor stuff just...don't

stormblood's stat curve was pretty gnarly tho, yeah, which is how bardem's got such a reputation.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
It's also worth considering that the space between the Bardam's drops (276) and the Shire gear (270) is, relatively, a greater one than the difference between the Palaka (536) gear and the Cryptlurker (530) stuff.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
You honestly can be just fine going through most of Endwalker with i530 gear. The 87 dungeon will be tough be won’t be an issue if you’re healer is on the ball. It’s the 89 dungeon where if you don’t upgrade your gear and you do big pulls you will have your healer pulling out their hair because while it’s possible to get through it, you take huge amounts of damage. Of course the reason why the enemies hit so much there is because the dev’s fully expect you to have full i560 left side gear as they force in the story to realize you get it free and there’s zero reason not to have it. So the times I’ve done it and seen people NOT have the gear has driven me nuts. I saw a healer without the gear. It takes all of 2 minutes to grab it and makes your life easier!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Black Stones posted:

You honestly can be just fine going through most of Endwalker with i530 gear. The 87 dungeon will be tough be won’t be an issue if you’re healer is on the ball. It’s the 89 dungeon where if you don’t upgrade your gear and you do big pulls you will have your healer pulling out their hair because while it’s possible to get through it, you take huge amounts of damage. Of course the reason why the enemies hit so much there is because the dev’s fully expect you to have full i560 left side gear as they force in the story to realize you get it free and there’s zero reason not to have it. So the times I’ve done it and seen people NOT have the gear has driven me nuts. I saw a healer without the gear. It takes all of 2 minutes to grab it and makes your life easier!

the 89 dungeon is ilvl synced. Whether you're higher or lower you're always set to the same level. The reason why things seem to hit harder is, well, it's ilvl synced, it's impossible to outgear it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Wait, I thought ilevel synching in dungeons just set a maximum ilevel, not a minimum. If you have lower gear it won’t synch it up like it would in Bozja.

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

I gather that Bardam's is my next MSQ dungeon, and I've seen enough talk online to convince me to go to the MB and upgrade out of my shire tanking gear. At least being ahead of the MSQ level gave me options to do so.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A Moose posted:

so I found a level 86 gear vendor and bought a set of white gear... which turned out to be worse than everything I was wearing.

Vendor gear is “normal” quality, which is actually low quality. They’re missing a huge amount of stats for their ilvl.

The HQ versions that are on the market board would have been considerably better than your gear. HQ should honestly be the baseline. Green dungeon drops, blue raid drops or token exchange, and all crafted HQ share the same stat formula. Normal gear is just trash.

Tekopo posted:

Wait, I thought ilevel synching in dungeons just set a maximum ilevel, not a minimum. If you have lower gear it won’t synch it up like it would in Bozja.

Correct. You can only sync down.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kurieg posted:

the 89 dungeon is ilvl synced. Whether you're higher or lower you're always set to the same level. The reason why things seem to hit harder is, well, it's ilvl synced, it's impossible to outgear it.

It is synced to 550, so the leftside 560 gear still makes a huge difference as there is nothing else close you can wear at 89.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

wodenspoon posted:

I gather that Bardam's is my next MSQ dungeon, and I've seen enough talk online to convince me to go to the MB and upgrade out of my shire tanking gear. At least being ahead of the MSQ level gave me options to do so.

If you're in a goon FC, just ask if any crafter can make you level x gear in chat and someone will probably do it for next to nothing if the mats are cheap.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kurieg posted:

A couple people posted about this already but this isn’t how ilvl sync works. If you wear absolute poo poo gear you will get hit harder. If you wear gear at or above the ilvl it will sync you down to the maximum possible. So yes, wearing full i530 is stupid and get your drat i560 because it will be a million times better.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Item level syncing is a little weird. Say you enter something that ilvl syncs to 345. Any gear that is IL345 or lower will be unchanged and you'll get the stats it says it gives you. For any gear at IL346 or higher:
- All melded materia is disabled.
- All substats on pink/Aetherial gear are disabled (only relevant in ARR leveling content).
- Remaining stats are capped to the max values for an IL345 piece.

For instances with job level syncing but not explicit IL sync I believe gear with a job level requirement above the synced level is synced down to the maximum IL you can get for that job level, after which the restrictions above are applied. This does lead to a couple of weird outlier behaviors.

First if your gear is just slightly higher level than then sync then you'd be better off using lower level melded gear. This is mostly relevant for ultimates that are close to a crafted ilvl, where being able to use pentamelds can get you more numbers than just maxing out two substats. Technically it also means that if you're in the habit of melding your leveling gear (which you might as well, since it's free and gives you extra spiritbond) then you explicitly don't want to swap out any gear from the 87 dungeon for gear from the 89 dungeon while you're still running the 87 dungeon.

It also means that gear does in fact still scale for a decent while after you've hit the ilvl sync point, since the lower of the two substats will not reach the synced cap until the item is several ILs higher than the sync point.

As a result the ~optimal gear~ for most ultimates is occasionally going to be some weird-rear end hodgepodge of synced higher-level leftside and crafter or at-level rightside, plus a relic weapon with stats spread all over the place to hit as many substat caps as possible.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I had the fun experience recently of using Ironworks gear throughout a 50-60 leveling experience.

Because I never once rolled a HW dungeon in leveling roulette.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm happy with this glam and also this bun, in general.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does pink gear even drop anymore

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

I had the fun experience recently of using Ironworks gear throughout a 50-60 leveling experience.

Because I never once rolled a HW dungeon in leveling roulette.

The best is when you get exactly ONE HW dungeon, near the end

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Badger of Basra posted:

Does pink gear even drop anymore

From ARR dungeons, yes. I'm not sure if you can still get the aetherial gear from diadem, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bozja has min-ilvl sync but it's also fairly unique.

In literally any dungeon or trial without a min ilvl requirement, if you go in woefully undergeared (like ironworks in Titania) you *will* get demolished. Yes this has happened.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Runa posted:

Bozja has min-ilvl sync but it's also fairly unique.

In literally any dungeon or trial without a min ilvl requirement, if you go in woefully undergeared (like ironworks in Titania) you *will* get demolished. Yes this has happened.

One of my first Titania groups had a Red Mage in their starter gear. They unlocked RDM, hit PotD / HoH for a century, and then thought going into Trial Roulette would be a good use of everyone's time.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Isn't the 560 gear vendor unlocked AFTER the 89 dungeon in the MSQ? So your first time through, you have to to it without all the 560 pieces.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Abhorrence posted:

Isn't the 560 gear vendor unlocked AFTER the 89 dungeon in the MSQ? So your first time through, you have to to it without all the 560 pieces.

nope

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

you don't get the job gear till after the 89 trial

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, it's literally the quest after the 89 trial.

The 89 dungeon is bad enough for alt jobs, but I've seen more than a few people in the 90 dungeons with pre-AF gear too.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 10, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That explains people being in something other than relic gear for the 89 dungeon!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

You get it after the dungeon but the msq is also pouring out free gear coffers the first time through anyways

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mr. Nice! posted:

From ARR dungeons, yes. I'm not sure if you can still get the aetherial gear from diadem, though.

Nope, the Diadem has been entirely reworked to be an exclusive gathering zone for the Ishgardian restoration.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

did someone say ishguardian restoration? https://v.redd.it/kg82rf3eyim81

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

you know, people don't really talk much about how good Y'shtola is at killing blasphemies, considering she can not see them!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A Moose posted:

you know, people don't really talk much about how good Y'shtola is at killing blasphemies, considering she can not see them!

When even the air is full of aether it's pretty easy to spot big blocks of perfectly empty space.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hit the credits in base Shadowbringers.

Final Fantasy XIV is good. :unsmith:

:hai:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Shadowbringers was (is) awesome, but storm blood had the best boss music. :colbert:

E: generic boss music for the dungeons, not like raid stuff.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

DelphiAegis posted:

Shadowbringers was (is) awesome, but storm blood had the best boss music. :colbert:

E: generic boss music for the dungeons, not like raid stuff.

The actual answer is Heavensward because of Revenge Twofold and I will die on this hill. :colbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's Heavensward for the smooth jazz library dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jazz Dungeons are the best. So thank you, Heavensward, Shadowbringers, and Endwalker.