Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

scripterror posted:

Fact. Can't imagine going back to a nuke plant, unless you love the reactor and just hate the navy

This is definitely me. But it also took me a couple years out to realize I missed working with reactors and just wanted absolutely nothing to do with the navy or submarines ever again. I'll be the first to admit it's not for everybody. But it is for some people and the money is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MonkeyFit posted:

This is definitely me. But it also took me a couple years out to realize I missed working with reactors and just wanted absolutely nothing to do with the navy or submarines ever again. I'll be the first to admit it's not for everybody. But it is for some people and the money is very good.

who knows germany may be hiring soon!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have always heard the nuclear field is full of the Navy and is run kinda like Navy Jr. so that was a hard stop for me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Met up with another navygoon and how come you guys are always so nice and normal?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Met up with another navygoon and how come you guys are always so nice and normal?

Cause we all got out of the Navy before it could ruin us, haha

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Only in comparison to Marines

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Cause we all got out of the Navy before it could ruin us, haha

I joined the forums as an A-schooler and am getting ready to retire so speak for yourself

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad posted:

Telling you, man. Blessed reservist life.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Crab Dad posted:

We still need to go out crabbing some time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

We still need to go out crabbing some time.

July. Since you live here I'm sure that can be arranged. However a beer could be sooner.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I like beer, had a nice Guinness while I enjoyed this sunset today.

Got a job offer for a job I'm real excited about today, and the same company's considering me for a significantly better position as well.

Transition out of the Navy's looking pretty smooth at this point (60 days left).

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Got a job offer for a job I'm real excited about today, and the same company's considering me for a significantly better position as well.

Transition out of the Navy's looking pretty smooth at this point (60 days left).

Congratulations!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The highlight of my day today was telling a guy on terminal leave that his DD214 is ready to be signed off on NSIPS. :toot: :feelsgood:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I know we have some San Diegoons around here so if anyone in the San Diego/SoCal region wants to drive out to El Centro this weekend, I'm bringing an E-2 to the El Centro Air Show on Saturday. Come see the magnificent Hawkeye up close and buy some t-shirts and coozies! And the Blue Angels will be performing too, I guess.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

In that same vein, I'm up in Bremerton/Bangor area for another couple weeks. This weekend is free, but if someone wants to grab a beer after work, send me a PM.

I'm the weirdo that Crab Dad met last week, so I bet we could encourage him into coming along.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

This week's Bob's Burgers had Teddy going to a ship reunion before his old boat got SINKEX'd. It was a lovingly-rendered Perry-class frigate, inexplicably numbered DE-1025 and named USS Gertrude Stein.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Hanging out with Crab Dad should be mandatory for everyone here if in the same location while they're still in

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2022/03/09/navy-offers-a-new-argument-for-decommissioning-cruisers-theyre-not-safe/

Navy offers a new argument for decommissioning cruisers: They’re not safe.

quote:

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Navy has tried to convince Congress to let it decommission the cruiser fleet by making cost-based arguments.

It’s tried readiness-based arguments, too, noting the drain on the ship repair industry.

Congress largely hasn’t been swayed, continuing to limit how many cruisers can be retired before the end of their 35-year service lives.

Now, the Navy is trying a new angle: the safety of the men and women onboard.

Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro said March 9 the service does not want to continue to operate some of its worst-off cruisers because it’s no longer safe.

“The wear and tear is significant, and the safety of our people in the United States Navy always has to come first in times of peace, without question. And so it would be irresponsible to continue to upgrade some of those platforms today at great risk to personnel safety,” he said at the McAleese Defense Programs Conference.

Del Toro said those who question the Navy’s desire to retire these old and worn-out ships haven’t experienced for themselves “the challenge of having to repair ships of that age.”

“If we tried to repair those ships at a cost that far exceeds the investment to go buy something else that’s new, why would you do that?” he said, likening the situation to someone who won’t give up their beloved 20-year-old car, even though it needs $1,000 in repairs every time it’s taken in for an oil change and it lacks all the latest safety features and technologies of new cars.

“At some point, you gotta let it go,” he said.

Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday spoke immediately afterwards at the conference. Asked by Defense News to detail those safety concerns, he said one cruiser in the fleet had to stop during its deployment for voyage repairs because water was coming in below the water line into a berthing area.

Another destroyer had to pause its deployment for repairs when water started coming in below the water line into a main engine room.

A third — cruiser Vella Gulf last year — had to return to its home port twice at the start of a carrier strike group deployment because of cracks in the ship’s fuel tanks.

Gilday also said the Ticonderoga class of cruisers is doing little to contribute to modern warfighting needs, despite lawmakers’ argument that they haul around 122 vertical launching system cells each and ought to remain in the fight to deter potential adversaries like China.

“You have to see the threat to knock it down. So SPY-1A, SP-1B [radars are] just not sufficient given the threat we’re facing,” Gilday said.

He also reiterated that the cruisers wreak havoc on maintenance funding and the ship repair industry’s capacity. Seven cruisers are in some phase of an extended service-life extension and modernization effort, which is not only requiring significant manpower at private repair yards but is also running years late and costing tens of millions of dollars a year more than the Navy budgeted.

“They’re eating us alive in terms of our ability to get maintenance back on track, which is where we need to be,” Gilday said of the cruisers. “We are paying tens of millions of dollars beyond what we expected to because of growth work and new work on ships that are beyond their service life.”

Gilday said his desire to decommission these ships and reinvest the money elsewhere in — dubbed divest to invest — has been mischaracterized.

He argued he’s not taking a perfectly good ship and trading it in for the potential for a future ship. Rather, with the cruisers not contributing much to operations, not being reliable or safe and eating into readiness funding for other ships, Gilday argued it’s an easy decision to ditch these ships today. Then, as a separate next decision, he said money that would otherwise pay for cruiser operations and maintenance could be reinvested into future readiness, lethality and capacity.

He said he’s worked to achieve a balanced fleet that is only as large as the Navy can afford to man and maintain. Lawmakers’ desire to keep the cruisers for the sake of bolstering the ship count are undermining that effort.

Harkening back to the days of sequestration, he said, “If capacity becomes king again in a static budget environment, we’re going to go back to where we were in 2013, and we’re going to pay for that capacity with manpower at sea, with weapons in magazines and with respect to readiness and maintenance. I just won’t go back.”

Never did get to visit a Tico when I was in

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2022/03/09/navy-offers-a-new-argument-for-decommissioning-cruisers-theyre-not-safe/

I worked on the Port Royal back in 2017 for an AT and it was leaky piece of poo poo without one watertight door or scuttle. Nothing passed the string or chalk test.

Also they burned the poo poo out the hamburgers.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

Was stationed on one, cool ship, but holy gently caress what a maintenance nightmare.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

I can measure exactly how old I am by all the things I remember being the new hot poo poo that are being discarded as old and busted now.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Crab Dad posted:

I worked on the Port Royal back in 2017 for an AT and it was leaky piece of poo poo without one watertight door or scuttle. Nothing passed the string or chalk test.

As someone who has never been on a ship - what's a string or chalk test?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pikehead posted:

Has to do with seeing if a compartment can be water tight. Kind of important for DC.

ded fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 10, 2022

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

I was on the Mobile Bay and let me tell you how cool it is to see a 4 inch gap in the loving superstructure. Or when old rear end water pipes rusted through over load centers! I was already loving baffled that they did the CR2 upgrade on all of them but then I heard that they upgraded the baseline AGAIN and just lolled and lmaod. That guy's absolutely correct in all aspects, especially the hilarity of running a SPY 1A radar in TYOL 2022.

Crab Dad posted:

The Port Royal hit a reef or something and stole the shafts we were supposed to get before the last deployment I was on. Fuckers.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 10, 2022

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pikehead posted:

The chalk test you basically opened the hatch/door and rubbed a bunch of chalk on the steel side of the closure (knife edge?). Then you would dog down the hatch/door and see how much chalk got transferred onto the rubber. A nice tight waterproof seal would look like this...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every single loving door of the poor Port Royal looked like this....

just imagine a whole lot of gaps inches long here the loving coding of the website is messing with me

We would adjust the bolts on the dogs, add washers and put on new thicker wedges but most of them were hopeless.

Apologies to any DC people if I hosed up the terms. I was a IT straight of admin C school and had a blast bashing the poo poo out of stuff for two weeks after 5 months of nerd work.

String test was another basic test to see if the whole frame of the door was out of spec. Just took a piece of string to do but it's been so long I forget the exact way we measured it.

Fake edit: I have no idea why what i type for the dots are not more spaced out. Basically the chalk rarely ever transferred from the knife edge.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 10, 2022

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Crab Dad posted:

The chalk test you basically opened the hatch/door and rubbed a bunch of chalk on the steel side of the closure (knife edge?). Then you would dog down the hatch/door and see how much chalk got transferred onto the rubber. A nice tight waterproof seal would look like this...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every single loving door of the poor Port Royal looked like this....

just imagine a whole lot of gaps inches long here the loving coding of the website is messing with me

We would adjust the bolts on the dogs, add washers and put on new thicker wedges but most of them were hopeless.

Apologies to any DC people if I hosed up the terms. I was a IT straight of admin C school and had a blast bashing the poo poo out of stuff for two weeks after 5 months of nerd work.

String test was another basic test to see if the whole frame of the door was out of spec. Just took a piece of string to do but it's been so long I forget the exact way we measured it.

Fake edit: I have no idea why what i type for the dots are not more spaced out. Basically the chalk rarely ever transferred from the knife edge.

Oh, right, I get the idea now. It's measuring the difference between a ship that's watertight internally with all the doors closed, and a ship where water can quite happily flow from one end to another with all the doors closed.

A ship that fails that sort of thing would seem to be un-seaworthy, especially when it might get shot at. Well, it'd be un-seaworthy even if it was unlikely to get shot at.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crab Dad posted:

It's because HTML only respects a single space no matter how many you put.

These two dots have 10 spaces between them: . .
These two dots have one space between them: . .

The trick is to use the code for a space:
code:

These two dots have 10 spaces between them: .          .

Quote this post to see everything for yourself in the editor.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
USN has more money than God, there's no need for every US flagged vessel to be some 40 year old rusty piece of poo poo, constant cracks in ballast and fuel tanks, sounding bobs going right through the hull cause they don't want to replace the strike plate in the yard, ancient technology your grandmother barely knows how to run so they have to pull people out of the retirement home to troubleshoot any breakdowns at sea, see through deck plates, pallets of sawdust, plugging blown tubes likes its a routine part of getting underway, black water lines rotting out over the main engine in the house in the control room

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm shocked they've kept the cruisers limping along this long. Doesn't every one of them older than 20 years old have a superstructure that's splitting apart? Aren't CG's just a shitload of extra superstructure on top of a spruance hull?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Aren't CG's just a shitload of extra superstructure on top of a spruance hull?

Yes, though that's less of a useful factoid now that there aren't any Spruances left.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm shocked they've kept the cruisers limping along this long. Doesn't every one of them older than 20 years old have a superstructure that's splitting apart? Aren't CG's just a shitload of extra superstructure on top of a spruance hull?

The still active Ticos are no older than the first run of Burkes but are much worse off. I don’t know if it’s a design problem or what.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The still active Ticos are no older than the first run of Burkes but are much worse off. I don’t know if it’s a design problem or what.

I'm pretty sure the monstrous superstructure on a hull that wasn't designed for it is the problem. I can't recall, but 12 years ago all of the flaws that have only gotten worse were well known. The Lake Erie had the most problems, of course, following it's temporary union with Oahu, but all of the old ones had ever growing superstructure cracks.

Meanwhile the JSM is out there still trucking but for running into poo poo.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

maffew buildings posted:

Hanging out with Crab Dad should be mandatory for everyone here if in the same location while they're still in

Can confirm.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
All of the destroyers that have had collisions/been attacked are back out in the fleet again. Fitz went and visited Yokosuka a few weeks ago.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Battleship New Jersey still has doors that pass those tests. Wtf?!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Oh hai guys, long time no post. Hope none of you are still dumb enough to be in (says the lifer). Can confirm being a civilian is still great, 4 years into it.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Oh no. Still dumb enough to stay in. Just got an Ord-Mod regarding how long I'll be staying on my next ship too. On the one hand, Rota! On the other hand, several years as a CHENG.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Never voluntarily go to the engine room. That’s been my career advice since 2007.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They're not going to let a former DCA like TVS to do anything else, though. The navy absolutely wants to keep that experience in engineering.

The more poo poo you come out on top of, the more poo poo you're given because you're known to handle poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Thank you for saving a ship. Here's a lot of money and a lovely job for a few more years.

Oh, btw, that lovely job is your lovely job for even longer. Congrats.

After TVS is gonna get shore duty at a DESRON as S4 or something before being sent out for XO/CO fleetup somewhere. They're gonna pay her loving fat stacks to be miserable and a lot of people's lives will be better off for it.