Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
The best Marvel related thing Sebastian Stan has done are the interviews together with Anthony Mackie. They have great chemistry together and it’s too bad that can’t translate well in the movies/show https://youtu.be/ejNWE21tY4s
Shane Black needs to get these two for a Buddy cop movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Peccadillo posted:

I stooped watching Raised By Wolves because I realised the only thing I was really moved in any way by was the lovely title sequence
I was actually going to ask how Raised By Wolves S2 was… it sounds like not amazing? After S1 I’m on the fence if I want to bother. S1 started strong but turned into a boring slog.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

david_a posted:

I was actually going to ask how Raised By Wolves S2 was… it sounds like not amazing? After S1 I’m on the fence if I want to bother. S1 started strong but turned into a boring slog.

Season 2 is way more entertaining and better-paced, so far.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

david_a posted:

It's great. Crazy poo poo keeps happening left and right. I can imagine people disliking it but "boring slog" isn't what even its detractors would call it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Peccadillo posted:

I stooped watching Raised By Wolves because I realised the only thing I was really moved in any way by was the lovely title sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WVDcxrRJ_M

And I looked the artist up and she did another opening sequence for a very similar show that that was my favourite part of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ytp8jv66co

Man fortitude was so sick. I’m really sad it’s over. Prime had some real quality stuff that nobody watched for a while

Thread give me some more understated North Sea murder drama mysteries please. I know the Scandinavians make a lot of them. UK is fine too

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

I enjoyed season 1 better, but it's still weird as gently caress and therefore I tune in eagerly every week

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Field Mousepad posted:

The international women's day episode of Letterkenny is fuckin awesome

Letterkenny is very hit or miss for me but I enjoyed the UTI joke and the bit where Wayne has difficulty expressing his feelings

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

lexxyth posted:

The best Marvel related thing Sebastian Stan has done are the interviews together with Anthony Mackie. They have great chemistry together and it’s too bad that can’t translate well in the movies/show https://youtu.be/ejNWE21tY4s
Shane Black needs to get these two for a Buddy cop movie.

But Hawkeye just did a Christmas setting.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Wolfsheim posted:

Letterkenny is very hit or miss for me but I enjoyed the UTI joke and the bit where Wayne has difficulty expressing his feelings

There's a few duds here and there but it's pretty drat good for the most part . I'm guessing you didn't watch past the second season?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Watched “The Cat Burglar” on Netflix.

It’s a Looney Tunes cartoon in all but name that has an interactive portion like Bandersnatch that changes the story. Unfortunately, unlike Bandersnatch where you merely click what you want to do, The Cat Burglar asks completely random trivia questions.

Some of these questions seem to have a strong cultural bias like whether not a song is an Elvis song or names of chapters in the Bible. Each segment has three questions and if you get them wrong you are poo poo out of luck. You do have “three lives” though.

I feel that if they had you choose what to do like in Bandersnatch but it required you paying attention to hints and clues in the cartoon of what’s the correct choice, this would be infinitely more enjoyable.

The animation is top notch and the humor is good, but random trivia questions in my bootleg Wille Coyote cartoons isn’t for me.

Also the ending is a bit too sad.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I hate all the children in raised by wolves tbh. I only care to see mother and father owning

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Streaming trip report:

Kimi is a very straightforward thriller that probably should have had slightly more going on but the fact that it's a tight 90 minutes bumps it up a point

Drive My Car has about forty amazing minutes tucked into three hours of a film that's otherwise mostly just pretty good

HBomberguy's 3 hour 33 min 33 sec Deus Ex Human Revolution review made me realize all the really cool moments I thought were in DXHR mostly happen in DXMD

Justified continues to own as I enter S4 of my rewatch

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I guess I will be the contrarian and say Fresh was...fine? I guess? It didn't go anywhere unexpected once the conceit of the movie was revealed. It just seems like extremely tame body horror that's going to get hype because people who don't watch hosed up movies are going to watch it and OMG this movie is so fuuuuuuuucked uuuuuuppp!!!!" There were much more explicit things in an episode of Hannibal and that was network TV.

Personally, I would have MUCH rather had the story of the woman who lost her leg to cannibalism, but then married and had kids with Sebastian Stan.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Fresh is really more of a snakepit movie like Soderbergh's Unsane than a gory cannibal movie, and on that level it's pretty effective. My problem with it was that its attempts at comedy just led to tonal inconsistency. Sebastian Stan was just too quirky.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Justified continues to own as I enter S4 of my rewatch

I just finished binging the series (first watch). I liked it less as it went on but there were always things to enjoy.
Walton Goggins as a young Baby Billy stole the show, even though they tried so hard to make Boyd unlikeable in the final season. Sam Elliot, Jeff Fahey, and Mary Steenburgen were nice additions and I was glad that the ending left both Boyd and Raylan alive. Wynn Duffy, too.

Just started Banshee based on thread mentions and it’s a fun watch so far.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Brocktoon posted:

I guess I will be the contrarian and say Fresh was...fine? I guess? It didn't go anywhere unexpected once the conceit of the movie was revealed. It just seems like extremely tame body horror that's going to get hype because people who don't watch hosed up movies are going to watch it and OMG this movie is so fuuuuuuuucked uuuuuuppp!!!!" There were much more explicit things in an episode of Hannibal and that was network TV.

Personally, I would have MUCH rather had the story of the woman who lost her leg to cannibalism, but then married and had kids with Sebastian Stan.

It does feel like it was WAYYYY less graphic than it could have been.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FishBowlRobot posted:

I just finished binging the series (first watch). I liked it less as it went on but there were always things to enjoy.
Walton Goggins as a young Baby Billy stole the show, even though they tried so hard to make Boyd unlikeable in the final season. Sam Elliot, Jeff Fahey, and Mary Steenburgen were nice additions and I was glad that the ending left both Boyd and Raylan alive. Wynn Duffy, too.

Just started Banshee based on thread mentions and it’s a fun watch so far.

If anything, Baby Billy is an old Boyd (except not really because they're not actually that similar).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't think Fresh was going for "this is EXTREEEEEEEEEME cinema", i think it was more trading on being humorous all the way through

i don't think it needed to be any more gory, at all

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think that's what it was going for either, but I think it will gain traction because some people will THINK that it's extreme given the subject matter. The best thing I can compare it to is the stories of "People are RUNNING out of the theaters VOMITING while watching Raw! IT'S INTENSE!!!" when really it wasn't at all.

Much like the previous person who said it, yes it's going for humor most of the time, and almost all of it fell flat for me. Plus, regardless of goriness, it would have been nice if the lead character losing her rear end had ANY kind of consequence whatsoever, other than her occasionally wincing or holding her side. They didn't even change her body's profile! Do SOMETHING with it!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah I was definitely thinking about Raw while I watched it. i should watch that again.

i made the extremely dubious decision to start Legends of Tomorrow as a show to put on while playing games, since it's 7 seasons long and probably not something one needs to pay attention to, and it's actually great for that purpose. it's one of those old style serial scifi shows like Sliders and it kinda owns

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Google Butt posted:

I hate all the children in raised by wolves tbh. I only care to see mother and father owning

Does s2 get better? I loved how completely batshit the last few episodes got but the first two episodes of the new season destroy all of that momentum and are pretty bland.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

precision posted:

i don't think Fresh was going for "this is EXTREEEEEEEEEME cinema", i think it was more trading on being humorous all the way through

i don't think it needed to be any more gory, at all

for me personally it absolutely wasn't funny enough for that to work. If that was indeed the angle, I think they put too much of the heavy lifting on 'man he's a cannibal isn't that wacky' to make things funny, which it didn't really. I don't think it needs to be more gory but it could be more clever.

Fresh was OK, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are things to enjoy in it and I'm sure some people think it's great (as evidenced by this thread) but nobody I know in real life would really enjoy it.

precision posted:

i made the extremely dubious decision to start Legends of Tomorrow as a show to put on while playing games, since it's 7 seasons long and probably not something one needs to pay attention to, and it's actually great for that purpose. it's one of those old style serial scifi shows like Sliders and it kinda owns

Sliders is a good comparison, except Legends is actually a bit goofier and more aware of its goofiness at times than Sliders. As long as you know it's just schlocky serial superhero stuff, it's pretty easy to enjoy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

yoohoo posted:

Does s2 get better? I loved how completely batshit the last few episodes got but the first two episodes of the new season destroy all of that momentum and are pretty bland.
S2 definitely gets batshit pretty fast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
someone report on s4 of Good Girls, i found s3 to be pretty uneven and wheel-spinny

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Fresh was obviously American psycho. Watch the marsden scenes in that context

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

precision posted:

someone report on s4 of Good Girls, i found s3 to be pretty uneven and wheel-spinny

I just started it cause of the trailer lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Sorry Sebastian Stan lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

yeah I was definitely thinking about Raw while I watched it. i should watch that again.

Season 1 of Legends is atrocious, like almost no redeeming factor and it takes itself way too seriously. It should have been cancelled.

But it wasn't, and the writers said "Hmmm, I think this is a bad, cheezy show so let's go all in" and it quickly became one of my favorite shows ever. So when you're watching it and saying "God the Hawk people are boring" understand it becomes a different show entirely that many of us adore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

yeah that was a very big influence for sure

while i loved it i also thought it might have been interesting if it had had some actual twist. his wife was barely a twist. i was expecting something super zany like her BFF would end up being one of his customers

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Season 3 of Star Trek Discovery on Paramount Plus was not good, and the first half of season 4 was even worse with lots of emphasis on the feelings over all of the crew, and extended shots of everyone hugging each other.

But god drat it, the second half of season 4 has drawn me back in, and I'm genuinely excited for the finale next week.

Also, has Matt Ross ever not played a villain?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 3 of Star Trek Discovery on Paramount Plus was not good, and the first half of season 4 was even worse with lots of emphasis on the feelings over all of the crew, and extended shots of everyone hugging each other.

But god drat it, the second half of season 4 has drawn me back in, and I'm genuinely excited for the finale next week.

Also, has Matt Ross ever not played a villain?

There's some decent ideas in there but it's ruined by the atrocious dialogue and the fact every single loving line by everyone is said in a whispered manner.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

yoohoo posted:

It uh...
*looks at tonights episode*
it's way more batshit. Ghidorah-level batshit. If I described various plot elements from tonight's episode in five words it would be something like:

radioactive child Jason Voorhees robot
and
acid mermaid nurses human baby
and
flying snake swallows human tree
and
snake morphs into king ghidorah

and I'm being nearly literal in my description.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Brocktoon posted:

I really don't care much for body horror most of the time. Not in the sense that it bothers me I just don't find it all that interesting ,so it being relatively tame was a plus and I think the grosser aspects were well done and effective.

Aside from that I mostly liked it, but I the back end of the movie went the most boring possible route, especially after toying with some weird twists that went absolutely nowhere. The wife being one of his victims (who is kind of running the show now?) was interesting, we get zero insight into that. The lead falling for him after he cut her rear end off (which btw they didn't commit her rear end being cut off at all) was interesting and tbh even though I knew it was a setup to make her escape, I was hoping they wouldn't go for a route that obvious. The friend being kidnapped introduced the opportunity to to have a "normal" ending but it wasn't really ultilized. she was sort of dead weight and the other male friend even moreso. I thought it was awesome for about 2/3rds and then it doesn't do anything with everything that has ben introduced.

imo a much more interesting end would have been to keep the first 3/4th the same but the lead actually falls for his bullshit and gets into it with his wife. And her kidnapped friend can act as the voice of reason and save her or kill all of them or whatever.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the last kingdom pwns

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zachack posted:

It uh...
*looks at tonights episode*
it's way more batshit. Ghidorah-level batshit. If I described various plot elements from tonight's episode in five words it would be something like:

radioactive child Jason Voorhees robot
and
acid mermaid nurses human baby
and
flying snake swallows human tree
and
snake morphs into king ghidorah

and I'm being nearly literal in my description.

Yeah this new ep is definitely my favorite of the season. Maybe of the whole show!

Looking forward to the season finale next week

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

imo a much more interesting end would have been to keep the first 3/4th the same but the lead actually falls for his bullshit and gets into it with his wife. And her kidnapped friend can act as the voice of reason and ...

that's exactly what i was thinking was gonna happen haha. i think it would have been more interesting that way.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

im watching the Adam project

lol it starts out with an ET homage. I don't hate it

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 11, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Raised by Wolves is tough for me. I keep wanting it to be a universe where the next crazy thing that happens is more like a creative escalation rather than a completely new and insane concept with zero connection to what we've already seen. It just feels like nobody says "no" in the writing room. Felt to me like after in S1 a computer impregnates a robot with a giant snake baby that flies away they kind of moved from a steady stream of mysterious new ideas to getting pelted with them non-stop with no time to sink in.

Reviewers and people on the internet seem to just enjoy the ride, but the show keeps changing the status quo so quickly that it's hard for me to feel invested. "Batshit" and "body horror" aren't really enough. I've tried just watching it while intoxicated, and I inevitably have to read a recap article just to make sense of all the insanity I just witnessed. Maybe I'm missing the point if making sense of it is a goal.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 11, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
SCREAlVl hit paramount plus. it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Adam Project was surprisingly good fun.