Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Croatian flag

SPLIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Holy poo poo that is incredible and apparently real.

e: I went to split about 10 year ago and didn't see this abomination, I'm assuming this is a recent invention?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

This is the old one apparently, which sucks, but looks amazing compared to that piece of garbage

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't even think their previous flag was particularly bad. Maybe a bit too detailed, too difficult to quickly draw from memory, but many flags have that particular flaw (notoriously including the Flemish one).

The old Split flag actually vaguely reminds me of the Mongolian one.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

10/10 would wave that splitty flag

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Negostrike posted:

10/10 would wave that splitty flag
Splitter!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I did not know there was a flag thread, but there is, so here this is. Enjoy a graph of flags!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was watching a video talking about a city in Catalonia, and I saw something that looked like an unwell Puerto Rican flag.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 7, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was watching a flag talking about a city in Catalonia, and I saw something that looked like an unwell Puerto Rican flag.

Does... does the flag talk to you very often? :ohdear:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was watching a video talking about a city in Catalonia, and I saw something that looked like an unwell Puerto Rican flag.

Sup, blessed-by-the-algorithm buddy :hfive:

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
The Canadian truckers seem to be co-opting Australian flags. Both the Red Ensign and the Eureka Stockade flag (Southern Cross, Cross of the South) seem to be rightwing symbols now.

tough stains fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 9, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The old Canadian Red Ensign was already a symbol among weirdo Empire Loyalists so that one figures.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Canadian flag flying from a hockey stick is peak :canada:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been wondering whether far-right groups are just more flag-happy in general. Like sure they've got the dedicated nationalists waving the flag of their country, but since they do so much with their normal flag, they start making weird variants to make more of a point (and they make flags instead of just a sign like a normal protestor would). And then since there's all those nationalists around, they start feeling comfortable just bringing in other countries' flags without worries of seeming disloyal to their nation by openly displaying loyalty to another nation. Very weird.

And sometimes they bring variant flags of other countries to make more of a point, like this flag that was spotted at an australian rally.

Which is the flag from when Croatia nazi puppet state. As opposed to the normal Croatian flag which is just a coat of arms on a tricolor without the U on it.

Kinda seems like something a US state would have.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is turning the australian star into a Magen David a thing, or is that just image compression? There's two in the one photo so it's gotta be deliberate I think?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Prior to 1908 the Commonwealth Star only had 6 points, and the Red Ensign was more popular pre-1950s, so chances are it's them grabbing prints of old flags from the 1901 flag competition.

Either that or it's British Israelism poo poo.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

There are definitely some "out there" variant leftist flags like this one, which modifies the Castilian nationalist flag, which itself is an invented modification of the actual flag of Castile that was ostensibly used in the Comunero revolt of 1520-1 although it has its actual roots in flags used by liberals in the nineteenth century:

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 9, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

This is everywhere in Catalonia, it's the Estelada. Inspired by the Cuba and Puerto Rico flags. Works much better in their colors though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Red white and blue flags are played out, that one is much nicer

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A podcast I listen to (It's one of those a bunch of idiots shooting the poo poo kinds of podcasts if you're interested, maybe weirder than most) recently posed the question of what country would you live in if you only knew the flag. This is what they chose.

So now I ask you thread, what country would you live in going by just the flag alone?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Bhutan, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Seychelles, Sri Lanka

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

SlothfulCobra posted:

So now I ask you thread, what country would you live in going by just the flag alone?
The one with the dragons in it.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
How did that segment work in an audio-only podcast? Describing them for the audience must have been kinda awkward.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mean, Angola obviously. Also Nepal because it's weirdly shaped.

Europe would be competent depopulated on account of every European flag being boring as poo poo. Except Denmark would get Christian nutjobs.

But what's the whale flag? Just a Wales pun?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1501624788544069637

Seems like there might be a few Ace Combat fans way down under.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
The True South strong and free
From far and wide, Antarctica
We scientist on thee

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yvonmukluk posted:

This flag looks like it belongs to someone who is going to gently caress my spaceships up.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I appreciate the design shootout to Greenland's flag, but why the hedron?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I appreciate the design shootout to Greenland's flag, but why the hedron?
It's an Antarctic pyramid, casting a shadow on the ice.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've had a bit of time to appreciate it and in my opinion this flag fucks. It honks. A good flag.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My favorite flag is prob Mongolia

flag quizzes on sporcle are a pain when it comes to Africa because so many countries have red/yellow/green (symbol of Pan-Africanism)

I mean look at Benin, Cameroon, Republic of the Congo, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Sao Tome and Principe, and Senegal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 10, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've had a bit of time to appreciate it and in my opinion this flag fucks. It honks. A good flag.

It's distinctive, yet still simple enough to draw with just a few lines. Meaningful without being overly specific -- that might be a mountain, an iceberg, or one of those wind-sculpted ice pyramids, all of which are to be found in Antarctica. And it even obeys the heraldic rule of tincture.

I approve.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

actionjackson posted:

My favorite flag is prob Mongolia

flag quizzes on sporcle are a pain when it comes to Africa because so many countries have red/yellow/green (symbol of Pan-Africanism)

I mean look at Benin, Cameroon, Republic of the Congo, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Sao Tome and Principe, and Senegal

Is it that much worse than Europe's "different colours same shape" tricolour trend?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it that much worse than Europe's "different colours same shape" tricolour trend?

I don't think anyone is defending that. And also the "red white and blue" being used to signal national identity in a bunch of countries.

I kinda like the pan-whatever colour schemes for the way they signal that the countries belong together and have some sort of common identity, but they absolutely make it hard to remember which is which.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Europe only has the Netherlands/Russia and Hungary/Bulgaria falling into that category. A bit silly to include the flag of Sao Tome and Principe though, if it's too similar to the flag of Mali then all the stripey red, blue, white flags of Europe count as basically the same too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Europe only has the Netherlands/Russia and Hungary/Bulgaria falling into that category. A bit silly to include the flag of Sao Tome and Principe though, if it's too similar to the flag of Mali then all the stripey red, blue, white flags of Europe count as basically the same too.

Italy/Ireland

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

it actually is when you look at all of Europe's flags. It's much easier to differentiate colors than shapes imo

I've never had an issue with the Scandinavian flags even though they all have the same pattern

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

also have fun with Jordan/Kuwait/Palestine/Syria/UAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

Italy/Ireland
Orange and red are not the same color.