Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, I love using the "You're Beautiful" stone when spawning in to MP.
Doesn't seem like a lot of folks have it and lots of them get excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a good relatively spoiler-free list or guide anywhere for stuff you should make sure not to miss in a given area? I feel like a walkthrough would ruin this game but at the same time I know how easy it can be to miss crucial items/NPCs/whatever in a From game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol Radahn's a cool boss. The setup is annoying but actually doing it is rad, and the only real unfair thing is the black hole grenade instant kill thing he does towards the end of his lifebar

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Khanstant posted:

It's weird seeing the 3 hour long youtube essay guy posting this. I just would've guessed he would've been someone more willing to meet the game where it was, but I can also understand why breaking it is of more interest to him.

It’s weird to me that he puts up the spoiler warning and everything for what is essentially just “grind your level up high, wear heavy armor, use mimic ashes”

You can get cheesier than that if you want, check out the speedruns that just stunlock her with Sword and night and flame kamehamehas that take off a quarter of her health.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a good relatively spoiler-free list or guide anywhere for stuff you should make sure not to miss in a given area? I feel like a walkthrough would ruin this game but at the same time I know how easy it can be to miss crucial items/NPCs/whatever in a From game.

Just explore a lot and be happy with what you find.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

After 40+ attempts, I finally got Malenia down. RIP my rune arc supply.

Wish I could say it was skill, but it was just the right confluence of events in the fight.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Bold Robot posted:

its not quite spoiler free i dont think but you can check out https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

tbh i dont really love the way this changes the way i interact with the game, turning it into a traditional linear RPG, so i'm using it more as a checklist once i run out of ideas or feel close to finishing an area. but good lord having all the NPCs and their quests in one place is so invaluable, i wouldve never met most of these people without it

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Finished the game last night after a bit of exploring to try and find things I missed. Got most of the trophy bosses but didn't complete a bunch of the random catacombs and whatnot. Overall it exceeded my expectations and I loved it, but I ended up having to hang up my +25 brick hammer and switch to shooting lasers with a mimc for the last few bosses because I was not having fun fighting them with a heavy slow weapon. I still haven't beaten Malenia although I've gotten close, but with the hammer it felt like i was just rolling nonstop until my stamina ran out and I died, or every time I thought I caught their combo and tried to punish, they would break out a 6th or 7th move in the combo they didn't do the last 3 times and OHKO me. I had a healthy amount of vigor, but so much was just instant killing me that I ended up hanging back while spirits fought for me. I think a few of these could either use a retune, or non-pro melee players might get stuck like me and that was a bummer.

Main offenders besides her were Radagon's big triple axe fan stomp that increases radius each time, sometimes I would sprint immediately and still get caught at the periphery, and jumping or dodging never worked when I tried. The big Putrid Tree Spirit in the War-Dead Catacombs, which would often kill me 1-2 steps into the arena when they would block my screen with madness or swallow me whole, and the triple fight with Commander Niall and 2 helpers that was actually the one that made me respec, I simply couldn't survive all 3 of them and the fight took ages each attempt.nIt's a big challenge and I appreciate that, but I would've liked to finish the game with my playstyle instead of feeling like I wouldn't reach the ending without switching to something else, after finishing DS1-3 with 2H giant clubs and stuff.

Also, gently caress hawks, lightning knights and the big bird corpses in the Deeproot swamp. My favorite unexpected enemies were the massive boulders that follow you, hilarious the first time.

Still lots to explore when I'm ready to pick it back up for NG+, overall I never felt the open world was detrimental and although some of the elements got a little repetitive toward the end the scope and scale of everything is still hard to wrap your head around, there is some absolutely killer level design buried all over this game despite some pain points. What an achievement by From.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

VanillaGorilla posted:

Wish I could say it was skill, but it was just the right confluence of events in the fight.

Yeah this is me after every boss for quite a few hours

“I wish I could say it was skill, but fat godskin kept pushing skinny godskin off angle because their AI are clearly not designed to actually work in tandem, glad that’s over”

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m doing every dungeon, mine, and mini boss, because I don’t want the game to end. Helping people in co-op a lot is also a good way to do that. Don’t be a sucker who rushes to beat it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I got the Hoarfrost Stomp ashes a while ago but had been using Bloodhound Blade for a Quality build, but decide to switch over to a pure STR Great Mace build, so I slapped those ashes on it. I want to keep it “Heavy” and not switch to the “Cold” element, right? I assume that scales with INT or something I don’t have.

Yes, but you can also switch to cold and back at no cost.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Don't be a sucker. Spend 16 hours on malenia instead.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kin posted:

Is there a way to replicate this video without having end game weapons, etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbA9t5ErNDw

I've picked up the hoarfrost stomp art which is doing OK at killing a couple of the enemies but I've not used the arts too much so don't know what's out there.

Also, by switching from my ghiza's wheel +5 to a standard weapon (serpent gods curved sword) my eyes have been opened to how much I can actually upgrade.

With the normal smiting stones I've been able to take that up to +13. Dunno if that makes it a better dps weapon than the wheel but it's super quick in comparison and cuts through those enemies in the video like butter.

If you’re strength based (or have enough str to 2H) the Starscourge Greatsword weapon art will kill that whole pack in two casts. You cast one on the first cluster, move to the 2nd cluster and cast your second. So about 5 more seconds per “run”. It’s how I did it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Several questions and several answers!

Can anyone tell me why my rapier doesn't seem to trigger backstabs ever? Or the other big critical hit stab moves, for example on knocked down enemies? I thought it was that it's sometimes in my left hand but I put it in my right and it's the same story.

Also, I assume Smarag the glintstone dragon has a strong resistance to glintstone sorcery? I can't do loving jack against this guy and he one shots me with a super long range magic attack of some kind

Nuebot posted:

Big secret: The game gives you ways to track and locate every major dungeon "type" in the game, for the most part. Mines are on the map, those weird creepy hunchback statues will illuminate the way to catacombs and every area has a big ethereal candle somewhere that will make a ghost appear and leave glittery footprints leading towards a magic related dungeon. That's not all of them, of course, but it's a few of the major ones.

On the shores of the poison lake place where you can find the meteor staff there are a bunch of golden footsteps that literally seem to just go around in circles. What the hell is up with that?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Stormveil is probably my favourite Fromsoft location ever. It’s like the Undead burg on steroids. Tons of hidden paths and loot, traps around every corner, the knights are terrifying at low level and there is some really hosed up poo poo lurking in the corners.

Seems like I need to go back there even though I went through like ten game hours ago.

Can't remember if I talked to Sorcerer Rogier or not, but whatever happened he is not in the hold so I gotta do something with him obviously. Looks like I should've looked around a bit more before going straight for Godrick. I'm gonna try just spawning in at the small cell spots before Godrick then working backwards and seeing what I can find.

Is there anything to say for going straight in the front gate instead of around? Like any NPCs or items that you can only get doing that? Can you get to the front gate from the back?

Lester Shy posted:

I've got a pure INT build and have been using the Meteorite Staff for the whole game. When should I start looking for/leveling a replacement? I'm around level 70 and haven't beaten Radhan yet.

From what I can tell, never, pretty much.

Chard posted:

hang on to them for right now imo, theres a way to get even more out of them if you want to

You can still do that, assuming you are talking about cloning the remembrance, even if you already cashed it in.

Shear Modulus posted:

I think you should be able to put down beacons from first person like in breath of the wild

Also can you zoom the telescope at all or is "leaning forward a little bit" the best i can get out of it?

You can zoom, up on DPAD

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I don't get to use it that much but holy poo poo is it fun to nuke a squad of mobs with canon of haima

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Play posted:

On the shores of the poison lake place where you can find the meteor staff there are a bunch of golden footsteps that literally seem to just go around in circles. What the hell is up with that?

That's an invisible monster. Kill it for treasure. (You have to lead your hits a bit.)

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The rapidly moving footsteps in a few locations are invisible scarabs. Just try to whack them (just ahead of the trail). Using an AoE or wide swinging attack helps.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Play posted:

From what I can tell, never, pretty much.

Sellen’s quest gets you a ton of good sorcery goodies including a staff that reaches S scaling at +3 (and damage boosts all sorceries for a little more FP) and a hat that increases primeval spells damage (which azur comet is). Combine those with the talisman from the academy that boosts all sorceries and your kamehameha is a murder beam and all your spells hit harder.

Technically the staff can be gotten anytime (wizard town) but the quest takes you through it and it’s how you get the hat.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Just let the game happen to you. You only get one shot at a blind playthrough for one of these and I can't understand why people are so hot to ruin that for themselves.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Brian Worms posted:

Just let the game happen to you. You only get one shot at a blind playthrough for one of these and I can't understand why people are so hot to ruin that for themselves.
I mean... have you played any from games before?

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

No Wave posted:

No, never. What are they like?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brian Worms posted:

No, never. What are they like?

Shameless metroidvanias

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

No Wave posted:

Yes and they're more fun to play with a blind play through

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
From games uninstall from your machine and lock you out via DRM after the first play through so you have to do everything the first time or you have to buy the game again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

From games uninstall from your machine and lock you out via DRM after the first play through so you have to do everything the first time or you have to buy the game again.

If you buy From games only once you’re not really a fan.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yes and they're more fun to play with a blind play through
can you understand why someone might feel differently?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lester Shy posted:

I've got a pure INT build and have been using the Meteorite Staff for the whole game. When should I start looking for/leveling a replacement? I'm around level 70 and haven't beaten Radhan yet.

whenever, both Azur's and Lusat's are ultimately better, and Carian Regal Scepter has its niche

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

No Wave posted:

Yes.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

No Wave posted:

Not even a little tbh

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

hmm...

from software

to software

to fingers

two fingers

:thunk:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Brian Worms posted:

It doesn't ruin anything, not everyone enjoys things the same way as you

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I gotta say, Hoarfrost stomp is way way overpowered and should be getting nerfed in the first patch. I wreck bosses like crazy with that.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

hazardousmouse posted:

Has anyone made a mohg and owl joke yet?

Owl is a joke.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

At this point I'm feeling the same kind of despair with Fire giant than I did with Radahn earlier. I really don't want to be close to him at any point and it feels like I'm fighting the camera as much as him.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
(Late game area) castle sol can gently caress allllll the way off.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I used to play every From game twice: once blind and once with copious wiki reading where I could plan out a fun build and do all quests / get the “true” ending. But now I have a kid and Elden Ring is at least twice as long so I just don’t want to invest that much time. I looked up the Ranni quest and followed a guide for it since everyone talked it up and it’s needed for that true ending, but after it’s done I think I’ll go full blind for the rest of the game and then YouTube what I missed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a kitten posted:

It doesn't ruin anything, not everyone enjoys things the same way as you

Right but it's a game about exploration and discovery, which is getting cut out in favor of time optimization.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So if you go to Liurmia without going through Stormveil Castle Roderika ends up going to Roundtable Hold without having to give her the quest item.

Also it seems Renna doesn’t show up at the Church.
Though you can still by the summoning bell. Hopefully that doesn’t affect her later quest.

I’m doing a second playthrough with a new character to see the things i missed last time. Having Hoarfrost Stomp early definitely makes things a lot easier. Margit died first time at lvl 21.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

TeaJay posted:

At this point I'm feeling the same kind of despair with Fire giant than I did with Radahn earlier. I really don't want to be close to him at any point and it feels like I'm fighting the camera as much as him.

Sincerely easier to never lock onto him unless you need to reset your aim, then immediately disengage the lock on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Right but it's a game about exploration and discovery, which is getting cut out in favor of time optimization.

Can you link a youtube guide to exploration and discovery? I think i want to try that build.